News Round Up 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

2018 AP gifts for F&W, for 1st & 4th visits. This is much better than last year!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/epcot/food-wine-annual-passholder-exclusives/

food-wine-cutting-board-5x2.jpg

Wait... could someone have multiple "visits" in one day? I am staying at the BC and plan on going in and out of Epcot 2x in a day. Does that count as 2 visits?

Wait... could someone have multiple "visits" in one day? I am staying at the BC and plan on going in and out of Epcot 2x in a day. Does that count as 2 visits?
I don’t believe so. I recall it being 3 (now 4) separate days that we had to enter the park in order to receive the glass a couple of years ago.

Has to be separate days, you can just enter and walk out the exit though but they'll look at you funny for doing it.

With any lawsuit of this matter, it is easy to see both the plantiffs and Disneys point on the matter. Disney is required to provide reasonable accommodations that are also fair to all guests within reason. Since Disney does allow people to pay for guided VIP tours that allows for that immediate fastpass to any ride and is exactly what some of the DAS autistic camp is asking for, which is immediate fastpass access to any ride. Disney does have to prove that it isnt feasible which maybe harder to prove unless they can show it costs them a significant amount of money. This will be a interesting case to follow.

I feel for these families. I teach equestrian assisted therapy, and I specialize working with kids with autism. And let me tell you, doing a multiclient class can be a challenge because "autism" can manifest in such a wide array of behaviors, challenges, and limitations. I have a stepson who has high functioning autism. He can wait in line to some degree and we can distract him for the wait time if we were to use the DAS. But I've also worked with kids who are more severely affected and there is no way they could go up to a ride, get the DAS return time and leave. That would lead to a complete meltdown that they may not be recoverable from without leaving the park. I don't envy the positions of anyone in this case. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

I feel for these families. I teach equestrian assisted therapy, and I specialize working with kids with autism. And let me tell you, doing a multiclient class can be a challenge because "autism" can manifest in such a wide array of behaviors, challenges, and limitations. I have a stepson who has high functioning autism. He can wait in line to some degree and we can distract him for the wait time if we were to use the DAS. But I've also worked with kids who are more severely affected and there is no way they could go up to a ride, get the DAS return time and leave. That would lead to a complete meltdown that they may not be recoverable from without leaving the park. I don't envy the positions of anyone in this case. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

fully agree - I too know people that fit into that later category as well ... or the other way where if they are set to doing something they won't be able to leave until they have determined it is "done"

If all of this is really due to those people that were "renting a disabled person" to skip the lines then I hope they are happy with themselves

But I've also worked with kids who are more severely affected and there is no way they could go up to a ride, get the DAS return time and leave. That would lead to a complete meltdown that they may not be recoverable from without leaving the park. I don't envy the positions of anyone in this case. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

fully agree - I too know people that fit into that later category as well ... or the other way where if they are set to doing something they won't be able to leave until they have determined it is "done"

I absolutely take your point — I have a small understanding from some volunteering that I’ve done. And that is a different situation from my soon-to-be nephew-in-law who is autistic and quite high functioning.

After seeing the post about the lawsuit in this thread, I was curious about how DAS worked and looked up the thread on DIS. I was glad to read that anyone in the individual’s party who gets linked to their DAS account can go up to a ride to tap in — it then effectively puts the return window on the bands of everyone linked to the individual — so they do not need to go up themselves. I hope that would at least mitigate, but do not pretend to know if it is sufficient.

I think this topic is covered a good deal on the disABILITIES board, so I’ll leave it at that for here. Just wanted to mention that one aspect of DAS that I just learned.

After seeing the post about the lawsuit in this thread, I was curious about how DAS worked and looked up the thread on DIS. I was glad to read that anyone in the individual’s party who gets linked to their DAS account can go up to a ride to tap in — it then effectively puts the return window on the bands of everyone linked to the individual — so they do not need to go up themselves. I hope that would at least mitigate, but do not pretend to know if it is sufficient.

I had thought that's how it worked, so I was little surprised to see that facet in the lawsuit. Although there are kids with autism (and adults) that once headed towards something, they think they are doing it. However, not having them in the vicinity of the ride could mitigate that. I'm sure Disney will bring that up. And I have no idea what the answer is. For my son, he will go to WDW for the first time next year, when he's older. Yet even though he is a huge Star Wars fan, we will not be going when SWGE opens because dropping into that mass of crowds would be boarder line cruel. We are going to use the tools available to is. Maybe Disney could better help families with kids with disabilities better maximize those tools. I can't imagine not having these boards and going to WDW with a child with disabilities. I feel it would be complete chaos. But I imagine there are loads of families who do and therefore don't know the tips and tricks to maximize things like FP. So with that, I will take this discussion over to the disABILITIES board.

Last edited:
For those flying home with a F&W cutting board, it may be a good idea to pack the cutting board in a checked bag. This is TSA's comment about packing a wood cutting board in a carry-on bag:
Generally, wood cutting boards are allowed in carry-on bags. But even if an item is generally allowed, if an alarm occurs during screening or there are other security concerns, it may not be allowed. Our officers make the final decision.
I can picture TSA pulling the bag for special screening, due to the board's density, and removing the board from the bag, saying it's not allowed, as it could be used as a weapon. Then, the pax pleads to bring it onboard the flight, telling the TSO that they had to make four trips to EPCOT to get that cutting board!

For those flying home with a F&W cutting board, it may be a good idea to pack the cutting board in a checked bag. This is TSA's comment about packing a wood cutting board in a carry-on bag:

I can picture TSA pulling the bag for special screening, due to the board's density, and removing the board from the bag, saying it's not allowed, as it could be used as a weapon. Then, the pax pleads to bring it onboard the flight, telling the TSO that they had to make four trips to EPCOT to get that cutting board!
We won’t be checking any bags, so will have to put them in our carry on bags. I guess we will see how it goes!

Nice, we just bought our first annual passes last night. We are going in October for 4 days. Planned to hit Epcot for 3 of the 4 park days. Staying at the Swan, so I think we can squeeze in one more. So this is done by scanning your band at the gate? Or must you check in at the booth each of the 4 days?

We won’t be checking any bags, so will have to put them in our carry on bags. I guess we will see how it goes!
Maybe take it out of your carry on like you would a laptop?

Nice, we just bought our first annual passes last night. We are going in October for 4 days. Planned to hit Epcot for 3 of the 4 park days. Staying at the Swan, so I think we can squeeze in one more. So this is done by scanning your band at the gate? Or must you check in at the booth each of the 4 days?
I think the consensus is you need to tap through the turnstiles 4 separate days to count but don't necessarily need to check in at the festival center. Of course I don't guess we'll know for sure until someone has received their cutting board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter