Newark (EWR) Airport Question.

Blade

Let's Go Rangers!!!
My DW and I are leaving next Sat. @ 8am. I just checked Continental's site and it says to get to the airport 2 hours prior to flight. Is this really necessary?

Please advise.
Thanks.
AJ

We left out of Newark in May & August 2002; both times we ignored the 2 hour suggestion, got there about one hour before, used curbside check-in & headed for security. We got through security within 10 minutes (that included 5 yr old DS's booster seat & stroller being hand checked) & sat at the gate for 45 minutes twidling our thumbs! We're going again in Nov. & I'm planning on sticking with the one hour window!

We flew out of Newark last yr. I would leave alittle more than an hour. We had time to sit and have breakfast and we arrived a little over 2 hrs ahead of time. If you can I would abide by the 2 hr thing, just in case. When we went security was tight and I wouldn't want to see you miss youe flight.

Newark can be tricky....sometimes you breeze through check in and security other times it is incredibly backed up. It has a lot to do with the day of the week and time of your flight. If at all possible leave as much time as you can to get through security. It is far better to be waiting comfortably at the gate or in a restaurant than on the far side of security sweating whether or not you will make your flight.

Linda

I'd rather have the extra time. If something happens and security is very slow that day, if you allow more time you will be more relaxed about getting to the gate on time. You can never predict the lines or the circumstances that can unfold in front of you.

We flew Newark to Orlando on Continental last year and security was quick at both Newark and Orlando Airports. However, we will still be at the airport 2 hours ahead when we go in January.

I have to agree about Newark, it's hit or miss. Once we flew and FLEW through security, that was Christmas last yer, but in April going to Vegas, the wait was around 30 minutes, so it really can vary!!!!! We travel with small children, and always get to the place we park about 2 hours before and usually feel a little rushed even then, since they always want Mickey Dee's for breakfast before we leave!!!!

go early. it's not worth the risk. will it really make you feel that much better to rush just to "save" one extra hour?

i seem to recall hearing that, of the 3 NYC airports, EWR has the longest waits.

I am going in November so I am curious to see if posts remain varied. Is it a day of the week variance? Time of day variance?
I am leaving on a Saturday 3:45 PM flight

ALSO NEWARK AND PARKING:
with all the new construction, can you get picked up reasonably?
We live close enough to have a family member do the driving for us. But is it a nightmare for that person??

Originally posted by want2go
ALSO NEWARK AND PARKING:
with all the new construction, can you get picked up reasonably?
We live close enough to have a family member do the driving for us. But is it a nightmare for that person??

we're going to pick someone up at EWR next week... so i'll post our parking/pickup experience then.

We are going to MCO from Newark also in Nov. I called Delta and they said to get there at least 1 hour before your flight. Why would there be such a big difference between the 2 airlines??
According to the wait time on the Delta site, its 5 minutes in security for nonpeak days (Saturday, Monday....forgot the rest) and 20 min for peak days (Thursday, Friday.....)

I don't fly much.... what is the advantage of curbside checkin. Whey don't you just check the bags in at the checkin counter??

Originally posted by kathyclownfish
I called Delta and they said to get there at least 1 hour before your flight. Why would there be such a big difference between the 2 airlines??

Delta and Continental are in different terminals. security lines could be wildly different.

Hi,
I flew out of EWR to Puerto Rico in February using Continental and had a 45-minute wait at security. That was a Saturday. I also missed a flight at that terminal prior to 9/11 after arriving one hour before my flight to MCO. I think it is best to get there at least 1-1/2 hours ahead of time. You really never know with EWR.

Kathyclownfish--we are going to WDW in November as well, and coincidentally we are moving to Middlesex from Bergen after our trip! Neat!

DeeCeeSW-thanks for the advice, I think we will get to the airport at least 1 1/2 before our flight. I hope you like Middlesex County. Its not as congested as Bergen country....but its getting there. There are some really nice country type towns here that are really beautiful. Good luck with your move!!:D

It's now three from Middlesex County going to WDW in November; we live in Middlesex too, and yes, it's less congested than Bergen, but you do need to get to know the back roads......stay off Route 1!!! Oh, and the shopping is just as good as Bergen, plus it's open on Sunday.
We always try to fly Delta, because the 2 x we flew Continental, I thought their terminal was a zoo; we get through with Delta really quick, especially with curbside check in, and we always use towncar drop-off.

JKLLady, Obviously we don't fly much but why how do you use curbside checkin? Why would you use this over just going to the Delta counter? What are the advantages?
I'm sure you are referring to the RT. 1 Rt. 130 nightnare congestion. The township tells us completion will be May '03!! Can't wait; locally its really a mess!
Thanks for your reply!:D

Kathyclownfish and JKLLady--looking forward to our move to Middlesex. We are off of Route 9, though. not 1. Is this any better?

Have a great time at WDW! I think you are both going before us, so I'm looking forward to reading your posts when you return!

Kathyclownfish,

The advantage to curbside check-in is not having to lug your bags to the check-in counter and wait 30 minutes to an hour, depending on crowds, to check your bags. We always check our bags at the curb and then just check in down at the gate. It's a huge timesaver. Just one precaution, make sure when the Skycap tags your luggage that it says "MCO," the airport code for Orlando. Actually, you should always check to make sure your bags are tagged correctly, whether you use curbside or counter check-in. My very first trip to WDW, I saw my luggage going down the conveyor belt with a tag for Fort Lauderdale instead of Orlando. I started yelling and, thank God, they were able to grab my bags off the conveyor and re-tag them.

Choesmommi--thanks it sounds like curbside checkin is the way to go. We have a connecting flight stopping in Atlanta before heading to MCO. Does this mean my luggage will have 2 tags?? One for Atlanta and another for MCO?

Curbside check in is a time saver. However, please remember to tip per bag if you use this service at any airport. They are independent workers who rely on tips. (I tip $1 per bag) No need to tip if you use the inside counter. If you are going to have someone pick you up outside of the terminal, be sure you are outside waiting for the car when they get there. No cars are allowed to park and wait for you. We had my daughter pick us up a few weeks ago outside of the Delta terminal and the security guards kept her circling until she saw us. She was not happy!

just a followup...
we went to EWR to pick up my bf's parents yesterday, and the construction doesn't seem too bad.

we just parked in the short-term parking lot next to the terminal we were going to. it's $2 for the first 30 min and then $4 for up to 2 hours.

it's a quick walk from the parking lot to the baggage-claim and security gate where passengers come out. we just waited for them there.

i don't know how we would've done it though, if we didn't decide to use the short-term parking. circling around would've been a nightmare 'cause we didn't know exactly what time they would show up.

HTH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter