New to Universal - 13 days away from our first stay at Cabana Bay!

notatallmagic

DIS Veteran
New Uni Annual Passholders taking break from "that other place"...our first trip is in two weeks - we will have four days - traveling with 2 older teens. What are your best Cabana Bay/New to Universal tips? I'd love to hear dining ideas, resort tips, and overall park tips. Do I need dining reservations for the Harry Potter themed restaurants? Do you eat in the parks, or go to CityWalk? Do you take mid-day resort breaks (that's been our strategy at the "other place") and if so, are the pools back at the resort crazy crowded during that time? Can you get groceries/water delivered to the resort? And my kiddos always try to lap swim at some point every day - if they go down to the pools super early, is that possible? Thanks for any tips - getting SO excited!!

Do I need dining reservations for the Harry Potter themed restaurants?
No, they're "modified quick serve." You order then sit down & food is brought to you. No reservations. Lunch time can be very busy.

Do you eat in the parks, or go to CityWalk?
Varies, either is easy. Especially if you are doing a mid-day break; then CityWalk is not out of the way in the slightest. Check out prices, eating at table serve may be surprisingly close to quick serve, depending on what you get.

if they go down to the pools super early, is that possible?
Depends on when the pools open, they probably will not be open before the parks open but usually stay open later at night.

Also just as a newbie FYI - be aware that Popeye Barges will get you legit soaked nearly every time. Very fun, just plan accordingly.
Ditto for Dudley Dooright log flume, but I believe it is closed now. Jurassic Park River Adventure is a more reasonable level of wetness that does not necessarily require pre-planning.

Hello , Cabana Bay is one of our favorites. The pools may not be that busy now due to the time of year. The pools are an odd shape so laps could be a little different. The lazy river is my favorite and they do sell tubes at the area.

The food court at Cabana is really good and we get the resort refillable mug, you can’t use it in the park though. The bowling alley is fun if you have time.

We eat in the parks and at Citywalk. You may want to look up the restaurants for city walk you can do that on the Universal site and make some reservations since you will be there at Christmas time. Antojitos and Toothsome are good. If you like sports bars NBC Grill is good.

Take advantage of early entry and the Harry Potter sections.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

Enjoy your trip.

Cabana Bay is one of my favorite Universal hotels. It's very easy to take the bus back to the hotel and take a break if you want to. CBBR is a resort. Two Large massive pools and Jacuzzis as long as the weather is good. I've been there when it was so cold they shut the pools down. It was in the teens temperature.

There's also other things a large gym, Arcade and a bowling alley. There are eating areas outside the Atomic Tonic and the Hideaway. Also a plus is if you have a person who loves Starbucks it's a full service one. The Atomic tonic has a quick service where they have Gyros and Mediterranean food if you want something different

Universal is much easier to navigate than Disney. With older teens I would be prepared to let them come and go from the parks and hotel by themselves, especially if you are staying a few days ot longer. The busses are very dependable and quick. Do not be afraid to split up.

Woohoo, going to be so fun!. It is a super busy time to be going, but holidays there are so fun. Decorations are great. We eat QS in the parks, but sometimes will leave, for late lunch, and eat on City Walk. Try and eat at off times if possible. Like eat lunch early, 11:00 (or earlier) , or late, 2:00. Dinner will be super busy for sure, all over the place. Haven't tried Bayliner Diner, but read/heard it's pretty good. Look over menus, so you'll be familiar.
Pack some patience for the lines. Found our teens not wanting to stand in long lines, but then they realized that was just how it was going to be, if they wanted to ride, and then they just did it. We are rope droppers, so it's a great time to knock out several rides before the crowds get too crazy.
Lots, and lots of great threads on the Universal boards. would be good to browse and read over CB hotel thread, and trip reports.
have a fabulous trip!!!

I second that, the bus system at Cabana Bay is very reliable and fast. It's improved a lot over the last few years and buses come quickly. I cannot remember having to wait too long in a very long while. Plus, you are right next to Volcano Bay, no buses needed!

Btw, for City Walk restaurants, these are my wife's & mine favs: Cowfish, BigFire, Antojitos, Vivo. Also special shout out to the milkshakes/sundaes at Toothsome Chocolate Emporium.

New Uni Annual Passholders taking break from "that other place"...our first trip is in two weeks - we will have four days - traveling with 2 older teens. What are your best Cabana Bay/New to Universal tips?
Enjoy!! We just did 2 weeks there and we had a blast!
Their bowling is expensive and they don't take reservations per se but you can call the minute they open to reserve a lane for the day. It's a lot of fun on a non park day in the evening after spending the day in the lazy river!! Keep in mind you DO have to pay to buy the tubes for the lazy river but they are awesome and make lounging all day awesome! They also do not take cash, just CC or Room Charge. I believe it was just over 80.00 for 5 of us. If you get the resort mugs, remember that the icees are included, that alone makes them worth it. The mugs do not work for drinks in the park, but ice water is free, so if you take the mugs on the bus after breakfast, bring a bag or tote to keep them in and refill them with ice water all day and then you can also get a drink on your way back to your room after the park and bus ride.
They sell smore kits in the shop for the nightly fires, bring your own stuff to enjoy more and just buy the skewers there. Skewers are 2.00 for 4. Their smores kits make 2 smores for 8.00 and then 2.00 for the sticks. A fun way to end your non park days after bowling!
I'd love to hear dining ideas, resort tips, and overall park tips. Do I need dining reservations for the Harry Potter themed restaurants? Do you eat in the parks, or go to CityWalk?
We've done all of the above. We have eaten at the resort and it was really good, think moderate Disney food court and around the same prices. You can do mobile order for the Harry Potter resorts and often can get a table right away. Eat at off times to make your wait shorter. We have 5 people in our family and we are divided 2 in favor of Three Broomsticks and 3 in favor of the Leaky Cauldron. Prices were the same, atmosphere was so cool at both.
In City Walk we ate at Margaritaville, The Hot Dog Stadium Place and Panda Express. The best of these was surprisingly Panda! LOL!!! Our food was just Meh at Margaritaville and for that price, I was not thrilled. Drinks were good though!! The Hot Dog place was better, just pricier but a cool place to sit! We loved Mel's a lot and the shakes were on par with Wendy's so nothing special but just fun. Today Show cafe was not bad either.
Do you take mid-day resort breaks (that's been our strategy at the "other place") and if so, are the pools back at the resort crazy crowded during that time?
We don't at all, that's because the parks close early and the evening hours are when you can just walk onto the rides. We tend to sleep in, have a late breakfast or early lunch and hang out and then head over to Universal. Both parks are small enough that you don't need to be there all day to do it all and see it all. When the lines do get too long, we take snack or drink breaks and that's always enough for us.
On our non park days, we did notice that the pools were busier in the afternoon but died around 2-3pm. I will say though that there is a big cold front coming in and expected soon, so that will help the lines in pools and parks. We are still in the area until the end of December and take advantage of the cooler days, because it tends to keep people away. We are from the Midwest, so even the 60s weather is not cold to us.
Can you get groceries/water delivered to the resort?
Yes, but their delivery process leaves a lot to be desired if you go with Amazon, I would stick with Instacart and Doordash and just meet them at the main entrance, much easier that way.

And my kiddos always try to lap swim at some point every day - if they go down to the pools super early, is that possible? Thanks for any tips - getting SO excited!!
Possibly, but it would have to be the side with the slide and more than likely close to opening when there will only be a random few people around.

Michelle!
Sounds like you had a super two weeks having fun.
Mac!! How are you??? We had a blast, staying near Sea World now and have been doing that and splitting time still popping into Universal and Disney. My teenagers love Universal's Thrill rides and the Wizarding World, so we had to make sure they had plenty of time! LOL!

Enjoy!! We just did 2 weeks there and we had a blast!
Their bowling is expensive and they don't take reservations per se but you can call the minute they open to reserve a lane for the day. It's a lot of fun on a non park day in the evening after spending the day in the lazy river!! Keep in mind you DO have to pay to buy the tubes for the lazy river but they are awesome and make lounging all day awesome! They also do not take cash, just CC or Room Charge. I believe it was just over 80.00 for 5 of us. If you get the resort mugs, remember that the icees are included, that alone makes them worth it. The mugs do not work for drinks in the park, but ice water is free, so if you take the mugs on the bus after breakfast, bring a bag or tote to keep them in and refill them with ice water all day and then you can also get a drink on your way back to your room after the park and bus ride.
They sell smore kits in the shop for the nightly fires, bring your own stuff to enjoy more and just buy the skewers there. Skewers are 2.00 for 4. Their smores kits make 2 smores for 8.00 and then 2.00 for the sticks. A fun way to end your non park days after bowling!

We've done all of the above. We have eaten at the resort and it was really good, think moderate Disney food court and around the same prices. You can do mobile order for the Harry Potter resorts and often can get a table right away. Eat at off times to make your wait shorter. We have 5 people in our family and we are divided 2 in favor of Three Broomsticks and 3 in favor of the Leaky Cauldron. Prices were the same, atmosphere was so cool at both.
In City Walk we ate at Margaritaville, The Hot Dog Stadium Place and Panda Express. The best of these was surprisingly Panda! LOL!!! Our food was just Meh at Margaritaville and for that price, I was not thrilled. Drinks were good though!! The Hot Dog place was better, just pricier but a cool place to sit! We loved Mel's a lot and the shakes were on par with Wendy's so nothing special but just fun. Today Show cafe was not bad either.

We don't at all, that's because the parks close early and the evening hours are when you can just walk onto the rides. We tend to sleep in, have a late breakfast or early lunch and hang out and then head over to Universal. Both parks are small enough that you don't need to be there all day to do it all and see it all. When the lines do get too long, we take snack or drink breaks and that's always enough for us.
On our non park days, we did notice that the pools were busier in the afternoon but died around 2-3pm. I will say though that there is a big cold front coming in and expected soon, so that will help the lines in pools and parks. We are still in the area until the end of December and take advantage of the cooler days, because it tends to keep people away. We are from the Midwest, so even the 60s weather is not cold to us.

Yes, but their delivery process leaves a lot to be desired if you go with Amazon, I would stick with Instacart and Doordash and just meet them at the main entrance, much easier that way.

Possibly, but it would have to be the side with the slide and more than likely close to opening when there will only be a random few people around.
Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response!

This is SO helpful! And we saw our weather forecast drop from 76ish to the current one - but we are also from the midwest in a cold, snowy spot, so even 60's sounds lovely!

I can't wait! I'm really excited to see the Christmas decor, and NOT have to pre-plan every minute and stress about all the details that I'm missing.

Just a couple last minute questions -

1) What toiletries does Cabana Bay have in the rooms? Soap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion?

2) Can you walk from Cabana Bay to the main parks and City Walk? We are HUGE walkers?

3) Can you call for a room request - if so, how?

Thanks - getting so excited!!!

1. Cabana Bay has V05 shampoo / conditioner and Zest soap. (don't know about lotion)
2. Yes, it's a nicely landscaped garden path along the waterways that the boats take. It leads you to a UO resort pedestrian entrance into City Walk, which means you are doing security there instead of the main hub (quieter, less crowded). The entrance is by Margaritaville, near the bridge over to IoA.

We loved Cabana Bay! I really enjoyed their food court. I don't recall ever being at a hotel that had shrimp and grits in a food court(and amazing shrimp and grits might I add). The busses were constant and convenient. Loved the retro feel there. I would 10000000% go back there. We are renting a house this trip(13 of us) otherwise we would have just stayed at Cabana Bay and drove to "that other place" lol!

How was your trip in the end? Hope you had a blast!
Thanks so much for asking!

I was so impressed! We did end up with some cold weather and a cancelled flight home, but Cabana Bay was excellent, and the service and overall experience were wonderful!

I loved the proximity of the resort to the parks - we walked a lot, but it was SO much more convenient than waiting for buses at Disney (we did bus once and boat once, and it was fast both times). The closeness and quality of dining was excellent too - and I loved the ease of the reservation system. And the immersion and theming of the Harry Potter areas was lovely. The holiday parade was also top notch!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter