New Offsite DVC?

I think with Aulani DVC was banking HUGE on the Japanese market...unfortunately the March 2011 tsunami in Japan devastated that country's economy just a few months before Aulani opened. As mentioned earlier, coupled with the accounting screw ups with dues, the resort got off to a really bad start.

The area has a sewage issue, had a spill in the past and beach closings. They have installed temporary sewage lines and have gone to the state for the millions required to replace the leaky main sewage lines. I understand that funding is now available but they are having trouble getting the permits and approvals for the work that is required.

Looking at Aulani from the front, Atlantis bought the land to the left. If they build out to the beach, Aulani will have tunnel vision to the water.

:earsboy: Bill
Gotcha..... yes I get it now..... at 1st I thought it would be great more options etc.... but you are correct that would be terrible for Aulani views!!!!
Thanks
Kerri

The area has a sewage issue, had a spill in the past and beach closings. They have installed temporary sewage lines and have gone to the state for the millions required to replace the leaky main sewage lines. I understand that funding is now available but they are having trouble getting the permits and approvals for the work that is required.

Looking at Aulani from the front, Atlantis bought the land to the left. If they build out to the beach, Aulani will have tunnel vision to the water.

:earsboy: Bill
Omg that would create a horribly crowded lagoon with undesirable views:-(
Kerri

I still think a resort in Texas would be nice. Something with a golf course, mini-water Park, and horse riding trails would allow for multiple day stays. If it was outside San Antonio, it would be a nice base while people visited the missions and the Alamo, Sea World, and Six Flags. Or they could build it outside Houston and people could stay there before or after a cruise out of Galveston.

While I'd love a location near San Antonio or Houston, consider that Houston lost it's Six Flags Astroworld years ago for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was gang activity. Also consider the damage Houston can sustain from a hurricane because it is so close to the coast. In San Antonio, Sea World and Six Flags both operate seasonally, then imagine the impact on local roadway infrastructure if Disney did decide to build. It would be Orlando's I-4 all over again, also consider San Antonio International Airport is in town, has just completed a major renovation, and has no room for further expansion. Then consider that a Disney complex in Texas would draw guests away from the existing parks on both coasts. I think a Disney park in Texas is an unlikely proposition, at least for the next 25 years. There are long time rumors that Disney has a large tract in Waller County, but there is nothing to confirm that.

Over on the DCL board there is discussion of a new CC-type island in the Bahmas.
One person on the board is speculating that it could be a DVC resort location instead of a new private island.
Checkout this discussion:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-private-island.3681654/

People have been discussing an island get away closer to Fla with DVC. What are your thoughts?
I can not check the website mentioned in the discussion while at work.

Doesn’t necessarily need to be a private island. Labadee is on a small peninsula in Haiti & it works well for RCCL as effective security insulates the guests.

Not sure how they could create a disney bubble in punta cana, but there are established vacation packages including relatively low cost airfare offered to most of the other resorts in the area.

While I'd love a location near San Antonio or Houston, consider that Houston lost it's Six Flags Astroworld years ago for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was gang activity. Also consider the damage Houston can sustain from a hurricane because it is so close to the coast. In San Antonio, Sea World and Six Flags both operate seasonally, then imagine the impact on local roadway infrastructure if Disney did decide to build. It would be Orlando's I-4 all over again, also consider San Antonio International Airport is in town, has just completed a major renovation, and has no room for further expansion. Then consider that a Disney complex in Texas would draw guests away from the existing parks on both coasts. I think a Disney park in Texas is an unlikely proposition, at least for the next 25 years. There are long time rumors that Disney has a large tract in Waller County, but there is nothing to confirm that.

As someone that lives in TX, it would be nice, but I don't see this as likely either. I've lived in TX since I was 2 years old, and I have never heard about this rumor in Waller County. I am now going to look into it though. I don't think a resort here makes a lot of sense with Disney. It just wouldn't fit in at all here. I don't know, I just can't see it.

Isn' Waller County already pretty much swallowed up by Houston?

DCL is soon to welcome 3 new boats. They are looking for a new island because of this. I suspect they are also interested in developing it in a similar way that Royal Caribbean is revamping Coco Cay, water slides and premium restaurants and such. They can't do that on Castaway Cay due to the lease agreements.

I agree with above that right now opening a property outside of WDW or another Disney location is just not in the cards unless they stop filling them so readily. Also the article specifically states that it is DCL employees doing the scouting for a new island. They are different companies, they don't all work together (which reminds me of a moment where someone on our last cruise assumed the entertainment director also worked at WDW since she talked about going there).
Isn't DVC, DCL and ABC all under the same Disney President (or Vice President)? Not the same as theme parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter