New Offsite DVC?

com_op_2000

DVC Member since '93; One Hour from WDW
Over on the DCL board there is discussion of a new CC-type island in the Bahmas.
One person on the board is speculating that it could be a DVC resort location instead of a new private island.
Checkout this discussion:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-private-island.3681654/

People have been discussing an island get away closer to Fla with DVC. What are your thoughts?
I can not check the website mentioned in the discussion while at work.

I have heard they are seriously looking at a ski resort in New England. There are outdoor activities all year round. I have been told that there are enough people using their points for ski vacations to make it a viable option.

Has to be a place to park the new boats otherwise CC would be at capacity all the time.

I have heard they are seriously looking at a ski resort in New England. There are outdoor activities all year round. I have been told that there are enough people using their points for ski vacations to make it a viable option.

The point of building an offsite resort would not be that DVC owners want to go there occasionally, but that people would actually want to buy in there and go on a regular basis.

IF they were to look at another off-site resort because someone had the hubris that they could make it work when it has not really been a success to date elsewhere, it would have to be somewhere with a nearby major airport with regular scheduled service.

I would love a New England Ski DVC resort, but due to the varying amounts of snow cover from year to year, I just don’t see it happening. However, I know one of the local mountains that was owned privately just went bankrupt and DVC might get it cheap.

I would expect a Colorado DVC resort before a New England one though.

Over on the DCL board there is discussion of a new CC-type island in the Bahmas.
One person on the board is speculating that it could be a DVC resort location instead of a new private island.
Checkout this discussion:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/new-private-island.3681654/

People have been discussing an island get away closer to Fla with DVC. What are your thoughts?
I can not check the website mentioned in the discussion while at work.
My island get away is only three hours from WDW and I live here. I love Marco Island. I can drive anywhere without having to get on a plane or boat.

After six years, Aulani is still being actively sold with no sign of selling out in the near future. In January, point prices increased for all DVC resorts, except for Vero Beach, which dropped to $100 per point. Sales data, provided by DVC News, would suggest that anything other than an increased presence at Disneyland and Walt Disney World is unlikely.

Based on the discussions on other sites, the next 10 years for DVC likely includes a presence at the new hotel at the Disneyland Resort, something in the former River Country area at Fort Wilderness, another tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, and, possibility, a presence at the proposed hotel at the entrance of Epcot.

DCL is soon to welcome 3 new boats. They are looking for a new island because of this. I suspect they are also interested in developing it in a similar way that Royal Caribbean is revamping Coco Cay, water slides and premium restaurants and such. They can't do that on Castaway Cay due to the lease agreements.

I agree with above that right now opening a property outside of WDW or another Disney location is just not in the cards unless they stop filling them so readily. Also the article specifically states that it is DCL employees doing the scouting for a new island. They are different companies, they don't all work together (which reminds me of a moment where someone on our last cruise assumed the entertainment director also worked at WDW since she talked about going there).

After six years, Aulani is still being actively sold with no sign of selling out in the near future. In January, point prices increased for all DVC resorts, except for Vero Beach, which dropped to $100 per point. Sales data, provided by DVC News, would suggest that anything other than an increased presence at Disneyland and Walt Disney World is unlikely.

Based on the discussions on other sites, the next 10 years for DVC likely includes a presence at the new hotel at the Disneyland Resort, something in the former River Country area at Fort Wilderness, another tower at Disney's Contemporary Resort, and, possibility, a presence at the proposed hotel at the entrance of Epcot.
Yikes I didn’t realize Aulani is looked at as a failure. What percent is it sold out? Is that the longest so far to sell a resort? Just curious
Thanks
Kerri

IMO Disney has learned their lesson with resorts not attached to the parks. Revenue is down plus they don't make the extra money that the parks bring when staying at a park resort.

In addition they can't control what happens around the remote resorts. We were just at Aulani, they are still having sewage issues and when and if the Atlantis resort is built next door, they will lose guests and much of their beach view.

:earsboy: Bill

IMO Disney has learned their lesson with resorts not attached to the parks. Revenue is down plus they don't make the extra money that the parks bring when staying at a park resort.

In addition they can't control what happens around the remote resorts. We were just at Aulani, they are still having sewage issues and when and if the Atlantis resort is built next door, they will lose guests and much of their beach view.

We went to Aulani last July before a cruise and we loved it. Didn’t notice any sewage was it happening then?

Looking at lagoon the whole left side is vacant, I thought it was the Marriot at the time. Looks like same lagoon in marriot marketing material.
Is that where Atlantis is going? Yikes!!
Thanks
Kerri

Aulani is unlikely to sell out before 2020, and there was the issue with getting sales shut down early on for deceptive dues rates.

I don't know that Aulani is a failure, but it is not successful either.

I still think a resort in Texas would be nice. Something with a golf course, mini-water Park, and horse riding trails would allow for multiple day stays. If it was outside San Antonio, it would be a nice base while people visited the missions and the Alamo, Sea World, and Six Flags. Or they could build it outside Houston and people could stay there before or after a cruise out of Galveston.

We went to Aulani last July before a cruise and we loved it. Didn’t notice any sewage was it happening then?

Looking at lagoon the whole left side is vacant, I thought it was the Marriot at the time. Looks like same lagoon in marriot marketing material.
Is that where Atlantis is going? Yikes!!
Thanks
Kerri

The area has a sewage issue, had a spill in the past and beach closings. They have installed temporary sewage lines and have gone to the state for the millions required to replace the leaky main sewage lines. I understand that funding is now available but they are having trouble getting the permits and approvals for the work that is required.

Looking at Aulani from the front, Atlantis bought the land to the left. If they build out to the beach, Aulani will have tunnel vision to the water.

They abandoned 3 deals in the works following VB, HH including a ski destination in CO (plus Times Square and CA coast). I could see them going off site but likely not that area. In spite of the Aulani situation, I could see them doing another HI option or even 2 more. It'd only help Aulani and would strengthen the HI connection. One resort, that's not most people's favorite, is limiting to the system. If they had a good resort on Maui and possibly Kauai, that would help. If they did, hopefully they won't take the HHI, VB and Ko Olina approach and try to create a destination but rather spend the dollars for a prime location which I see as the issue anyway. Plus I think they were overly optimistic for HHI/VB sales thus when they didn't meet their unrealistic expectations, they jumped ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter