New Castaway Club Level?

I completed DCL #38 in January and do hope for a new level. Maybe call it Titanium or Diamond...don't really care what they call it. As a very loyal DCL cruiser I would like different perks. We have given away our bottle of champagne on our last few cruises. We have tons of bags that sit in the closet. Would like something more useful (bring back the beach towel!) The platinum perk options are cheese platter (I can get cheese easily on board so why would I choose that), chocolate candies (not that tasty) or a bottle of champagne (don't really enjoy it). I would love a drink package or some free internet or a special ship tour (behind the scenes).

My husband accidentally had a glass of wine spilled on him by an officer and the officer felt so bad (we kept telling him it was no big deal) that he invited us to a tour of the engine room (we found a note in our fish later that day). It was a very cool experience. Something like that as a new perk would be nice. Maybe a discount on the cruise after reaching a certain number of cruises.

MJ

Last edited:
I think the perks could change around too. Free bag of laundry, or free garment steam/press could be nice. Also, a 'night at the theater' package would be neat, where you get some free popcorn, sodas, cotton candy, while you watch Villains tonight for the 26th time. Free float or bike rental at Castaway Cay wouldn't cost them much.

I completed DCL #38 in January and do hope for a new level. Maybe call it Titanium or Diamond...don't really call what they call it. As a very loyal DCL cruiser I would like different perks.
Time to update the signature. :sail: The behind the scenes tours would be really cool.

I would like to see the addition of higher levels with richer benefits. I'm at 28 cruises, 247 nights currently.

A free bag of laundry and some Internet minutes would be nice. The return of the exclusive tours would be great, too.

I completed DCL #38 in January and do hope for a new level. Maybe call it Titanium or Diamond...don't really call what they call it. As a very loyal DCL cruiser I would like different perks. We have given away our bottle of champagne on our last few cruises. We have tons of bags that sit in the closet. Would like something more useful (bring back the beach towel!) The platinum perk options are cheese platter (I can get cheese easily on board so why would I choose that), chocolate candies (not that tasty) or a bottle of champagne (don't really enjoy it). I would love a drink package or some free internet or a special ship tour (behind the scenes).

My husband accidentally had a glass of wine spilled on him by an officer and the officer felt so bad (we kept telling him it was no big deal) that he invited us to a tour of the engine room (we found a note in our fish later that day). It was a very cool experience. Something like that as a new perk would be nice. Maybe a discount on the cruise after reaching a certain number of cruises.

MJ
I can't recall which but another cruise line offers it's top tier cruisers a "free" cruise each year.

How close are you to the 50 cruise mark? We were on an RCCL cruise where a couple had cruised 40 times and they were given a bottle of champagne at the frequent cruisers' mtg (similar to the Castaway Club mtg.)
We will be going on #'s 43 and 44 in May/June. Have never had any special recognition from DCL beyond what they give to all Platinum cruisers and until they make a new level with new benefits wouldn't expect anything.

But I do think they have to look at it from the perspective of their loyal cruisers to develop meaningful benefits. Outside of the gift (yes, we have several large totes filled with the bags we've received over the years) there's nothing unique that they are giving Platinum cruisers - discount? can get that by using my Disney Rewards card now; room service gift? can order an all hands on deck cheese platter if I want or buy the wine or candy; the experience? if I'm playing bingo, you giving me one punch card with my purchase isn't really enhancing the cruise experience; Palo? Anyone can book it's not a unique experience. not having to pay doesn't change my cruise experience at all. I don't need DCL to pay for things that everyone can experience. I need them to give me something unique instead of thinking I'm going to do the same trivia quiz that they had for the last 4-5 years! They are a creative company, I'm sure they can come up with ideas to make the cruise experience more enjoyable for their most loyal customers that don't cost a lot. (Heck, I'd even pay for a platinum or whatever the next level will be exclusive tea in Palo!)

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to remove it altogether as there doesn't seem to be any problem with selling Disney cruises?

Pity they don't have a scheme like it for WDW as we have been in on-site hotels for 46 weeks in total so far.

Wouldn't it make more sense for them to remove it altogether as there doesn't seem to be any problem with selling Disney cruises?
I know of specifically 2 people that are going on a cruise so that they become platinum, before a European cruise that NO OTHER LINE IS DOING (like nobody at all other than DCL is doing this itinerary) so it does sell cruises.

The nights vs # of cruises has gone on since DCL introduced the different levels. Personally, I don't think taking one or two long cruises shows loyalty to the cruise line so shouldn't jet pack you to a high level. I started sailing with Disney when they only had 3/4 night cruises. The cruises I took when that was all they had and then 7 nights when that was all they had show more loyalty than someone who has come along recently and taken a 15 night Transatlantic cruise (trust me we've done those too).

I still think some kind of joint days and cruises is a much fairer situation. I only cruise longer cruises but have cruised every year since 2007 and I am still only Gold. For a Non-Florida person (live in the UK) booking a 4 night is just not practical as it wouldn't constitute a holiday and by the time I've added in flights would costs more than doing the longer cruises. And as other poster mentioned for someone who travels solo I am paying for 2 people anyway but only getting the rewards for 1 which I had never actually thought about. Loyalty is loyalty and sailing every year shows that but because I don't live near to where I can just go away for a weekend and jump on a DCL cruise I will have spent over 10 years getting to the Platinum level. I don't agree it should be one or the other (i.e. days or cruises) as this does disadvantage a large group of people but some combination wouldn't hurt even if it was like:
Silver - after first cruise.
Gold - completion of 10 cruises or 40 nights (so its 10x4 night cruises)
Platinum - completion of 15 cruises or 60 nights
Diamond - completion of 20 cruises or 80 nights

That way it would still mean that people weren't getting a massive amount more but slightly.

I had posted on another thread not too long ago, on my NYC Canada cruise in October, our CC reception was in the WDT as there were 500 people there. It was mostly Gold members but still a lot of people. Clayton actually commented, "I know you all think about the next level and what we should call it" and then asked for people to chime in what they think it should be called. Like many others, I said Titanium and he said he thought that was a great name. Not sure if his conversation meant anything but I do agree there should be a higher level. There are many cruisers that have easily over 30, 50, 75 cruises and should be recognized further.

I also would like more say in the gifts. Like @mmouse37, we give away the free Platinum champagne, the chocolates are just ok, and we don't always do Palo either since our DS cruises with us and we like eating together as a family. I'd like either an amount gifted to me so I can use it as I'd like to or just more options like free internet (a limit of course), more amenities, a free photo of your choice, etc. I do really enjoy the boarding group #1 and being able to book things 120 days out.

Heather

I agree with PP that DCL levels are not very impressive. That said, most cruises sell very well and probably want more first time cruisers (the first time I booked I had no idea that there was a rate increase with demand), short cruisers, etc. It is a business and long time cruisers probably usually don't generate the money one and dones do. That said, I'd be okay with a revenue based system as the airlines do. That way it's fairly obvious-we value your loyalty (read:money) and we're willing to reward that. For perks-I'd like to see free laundry, especially on longer cruises; earlier booking; sneak peek for upcoming cruises (say a day or two ahead to give me time to sell DH on it); special tours. Nothing crazy keeping in mind the business model.

Being Platinum means our "PIF" date is usually 1.5 months earlier - if we want to book Palo/Remy, Excursions, Spa. Maybe the next level lets you book these before you have made your final payment.

And really, I don't need "free food" that I can get from room service or anywhere on the ship. Maybe an option would be to be able to get Palo Souffle's in the MDRs'!! (that would entice your table mates to try and get to that CC level!!).

I DON'T Need More STUFF either!. Unless it's special: Bags, Towels, Totes, Mugs, Stale Rice Krispy Treats, etc just does not cut it! More Ducky Williams prints / lithos, or stuff that you get at the parks stores: Off The Page in DCA, and the store that was outside of the Animation Building (now Star Wars). I could literally spend $1,000's in these two stores!

Experiences would be good. A LONG time ago, on the Captain's Gala night, some tables would have Officers have dinner with the guests (we were at a lucky table once) That was memorable!! One night per longer cruise (7nights plus), they could have use not sit at our assigned tables, and we could have dinner with an officer (note: I understand this would be logistical "nightmare" - but cool).

Significant Discount on Photos. Laundry Services would be nice like others have said.

:headache:And then there's the argument - "We sail mostly full, so why do anything for the cattle ... er.. guests"? :crazy2: Actually, once we've hit 25 cruises, Disney KNOWS that they've got us hooked, so when we get to that point they should treat us like they just don't care :earseek::earseek:because we aren't going elsewhere (significantly)

I think RCCL does that.

They also do a behind the scenes tours for Diamond level members. Our tablemates got a behind the scenes tour of the ice rink on their last cruise and said it was great. They also had a free cocktail/wine hour too.

If DCL did simple stuff like this it would be really great. Also if they added a level above platinum, adding back the extra OBC platinum members used to get to the new level would be nice too. The happy hour for the upper tier would be nice too and it could be done in a lesser used bar to keep them from invading the concierge lounge.

:headache:And then there's the argument - "We sail mostly full, so why do anything for the cattle ... er.. guests"? :crazy2: Actually, once we've hit 25 cruises, Disney KNOWS that they've got us hooked, so when we get to that point they should treat us like they just don't care :earseek::earseek:because we aren't going elsewhere (significantly)

We have 12 in 8 years and we were able to get the hook out without the barb doing too much damage;) I do feel that DCL was more concerned about getting new cruisers than retaining cruisers for life.

I actually noticed a difference when rebooking RCCL, almost all the inside rooms were taken up over a year out, while lots of other rooms were open. On DCL we were always able to get a coveted sideways inside room on the classics inside of a year. I feel that many frequent cruisers lean toward inside rooms to maximize their time on ship, which leads me to thinking that RCCL sees more repeats and less new faces than DCL.

Some of the longer cruises during the school year cost less then a 4 night Summer cruise. I don't know if number of nights should really be a factor with the way DCL pricing is.

We have 12 in 8 years and we were able to get the hook out without the barb doing too much damage;) I do feel that DCL was more concerned about getting new cruisers than retaining cruisers for life.

I actually noticed a difference when rebooking RCCL, almost all the inside rooms were taken up over a year out, while lots of other rooms were open. On DCL we were always able to get a coveted sideways inside room on the classics inside of a year. I feel that many frequent cruisers lean toward inside rooms to maximize their time on ship, which leads me to thinking that RCCL sees more repeats and less new faces than DCL.
I agree with this. When we first started cruising I thought we had to have a balcony, and one with the perfect location. It's been a while since we booked a balcony on DCL. We've been on 15 DCL cruises and the last 10 have been in Oceanviews. Our next one since it's just me and my son will be in an inside, and then the next one on Carnival will be a oceanview. On Ncl I always book a verandah because their insides and oceanviews are too small for 4 people. The more I cruise the less important the room becomes, and I could really care less about the location. Price is my biggest concern.

As a 3x DCL cruiser, I don't understand the hype around levels. What do you realty get at the end of the day? A coffee cup? The "opportunity" to pay ~$600 for a cabana? A different lanyard? I don't get it. What am I missing?

As a 3x DCL cruiser, I don't understand the hype around levels. What do you realty get at the end of the day? A coffee cup? The "opportunity" to pay ~$600 for a cabana? A different lanyard? I don't get it. What am I missing?

You are missing nothing, at least with DCL. If our nights on DCL were applied to RCCL, double for our 14 nights in concierge, we would be diamond and the two perks below would interest us and cover our booze for the trip since we usually drink a lot less than that.

1. Diamond get 3 free drinks over a 3 hour period each night and a non bridge or galley behind the scenes tour of some part of the ship.

Our tablemates loved the diamond tour that they got on our last trip. I think they also get a bit of free internet too but am not 100 percent on that.

The only thing that DCL had that was worth it to us was the 10 percent discount in the shops for gold and up, as I have a small DCL hoodie collection, maybe platinum could get 15 percent off?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter