New Castaway Club Level?

tigerlily2009

Mouseketeer
With two new ships coming in the future & guests reaching higher levels of cruises sailed on...do you think DCL will add another level higher than Platinum for Castaway Club?

If you think they should add another level, what would you call it and how many cruises would you need to have been on? What would you like the added benefits to be?

With two new ships coming in the future & guests reaching higher levels of cruises sailed on...do you think DCL will add another level higher than Platinum for Castaway Club?

If you think they should add another level, what would you call it and how many cruises would you need to have been on?
The speculation as to whether DCL will add another Castaway Club level has been active, at least as long as I've been on the boards.

No way of knowing if they will or not. And, if they do, I doubt we'll get much notice that it's happening.

Many feel that the levels should be determined more by number of days cruised and not number of cruises. Some cruise lines use a combination of both numbers to determine their levels.

Yes, it definitely has been active for quite some while now...I can see it being updated when the new ships come out. Just curious on what people would like to see if it were up to them. :-)

What kind of perks would you add to the additional level? Yes, I think DCL should rework the tiers, beginning with number of nights as well as the number of cruises, but my opinion doesn't count a whole lot.

I think it would need to be maybe 20 or 25 plus cruises... I think there are some more fun perks they could add in for that type of level.

I think it would need to be maybe 20 or 25 plus cruises... I think there are some more fun perks they could add in for that type of level.

As long as they don't take anything away from the current levels. I like my platinum perks.

I agree with you. I am platinum as well and would not anything taken away from anyone...I just want a new level to aim for.
Well, DCL has taken away perks from the various levels in the past. I think if they revamp the levels, or even just add one, they'll most likely rearrange what perks are for what levels (minimal that they are).

How about this:
Silver - after first cruise.
Gold - completion of 10 cruises or 15 nights
Platinum - completion of 15 cruises or 30 nights
Diamond - completion of 20 cruises or 50 nights

So, you could have only 3 cruises to make Platinum (couple of 14 nighters and a 3 night)

With this formula we would have been Diamond after 5 cruises (3 years). Instead of just Gold. And it took us another 3 years to make Platinum. The current system of only counting number of cruises penalizes those who take the long cruises primarily.

Last edited:
Well, DCL has taken away perks from the various levels in the past. I think if they revamp the levels, or even just add one, they'll most likely rearrange what perks are for what levels (minimal that they are).

How about this:

So, you could have only 3 cruises to make Platinum (couple of 14 nighters and a 3 night)

With this formula we would have been Diamond after 5 cruises (3 years). Instead of just Gold. And it took us another 3 years to make Platinum. The current system of only counting number of cruises penalizes those who take the long cruises primarily.

14 cruises, 77 nights. I'm good. 8-)

For a higher level than platinum they could add additional gifts. Adult beverage discounts and/or vouchers. A stateroom credit. Special access to an exclusive lounge area. Access to a concierge service. Just thinking what I've seen done for other cruise lines.

How about this:

I'm with you on this and have always said it should be something like this. This would have meant like you I would be Diamond now instead of just Gold. I only cruise longer trips but tend to only do one a year. I'm on cruise 8 but out of those only 2 were 3 night the rest were 11-14 nights so I'm on around 100 days at sea but still not Platinum. On other cruise lines I would be having a free load of laundry by now lol

If you think they should add another level, what would you call it and how many cruises would you need to have been on? What would you like the added benefits to be?

I'm happy with the current system. Number of cruises is a fair enough system for the minor rewards that higher levels get. A person who has done several different cruises has gotten more familiar with DCL and shown more commitment to sailing with DCL as a cruise line, than someone who has done just one or two longer length cruises with DCL. So from DCL's perspective, I see why they do number of cruises rather than nights. They want people to get in the habit of coming back to DCL for that next vacation.

The other logical alternative would be to reward based on dollars spent per cruiser, like some airlines do. As another poster pointed out, DCL makes a lot more more money off four or five 3-night cruises than off one 2-week cruise held over the same time period. Also, many cruisers get Florida resident discounts that significantly lessen the cost, or did most of their DCL sailing back in the day when DCL was cheaper. Why would DCL want to give even more rewards to someone who did most of their DCL sailing 5+ years ago? Basing the system on dollars spent would even those things out. But it would also make the levels more obviously about money, and less about the emotional connection to the line that keeps people coming back, so I don't see that ever happening. No one wants DCL to act like an airline.

If another higher level were added for 25+ cruises, it would be hard to give meaningful rewards that didn't disadvantage others. Another free meal at the already-overbooked Palo? Access to concierge services/spaces that others are paying through the nose for? 150 day booking privilege? Please.

DCL's current system is fine.

Last edited:
IF they went into nights sailed, I'd hope that they would do like the other lines that use nights sailed and give solo cruisers (as in those of us who pay the same price as two) double credit as we're paying double. (Note: for the lines that have the solo coffins, if you book one of those you don't get the double credit as you're not paying double)

I definitely had issues with HAL, but they do (maybe did? I'm not keeping up with their system anymore) a combination of nights sailed with solo credit and money spent - x points for every $300 or something like that.

The nights vs # of cruises has gone on since DCL introduced the different levels. Personally, I don't think taking one or two long cruises shows loyalty to the cruise line so shouldn't jet pack you to a high level. I started sailing with Disney when they only had 3/4 night cruises. The cruises I took when that was all they had and then 7 nights when that was all they had show more loyalty than someone who has come along recently and taken a 15 night Transatlantic cruise (trust me we've done those too).

To me the top level of a loyalty program should be very difficult to reach. That's the only way to keep the perks of any value to the customer and the program of value to the cruise line. When DCL designed the current program, they were shooting to have a certain percent of cruisers in each category. Unfortunately, I think they miscalculated how quickly people would move up and they now have too large a percentage in the platinum level. (Heck, we just take my parents along occasionally and they are at gold level). So if they were redesigning it, I don't think they would do it so even more people were in the top level -- that would require them to scale back the benefits and make them even more meaningless.

What I'd like to see is maybe 5 levels: Keep the current 3 and don't take any benefits away but add a level that you reach at 25 cruises and another at 50. And I think the benefit that they should add for these levels are different experiences - when you've taken 25 cruises or more the activities become a little stale so it is nice to have something a little different and special to look forward to. Back when they had backstage tours for platinum members we were able to do a real galley tour on one of the transatlantic cruises, it included the storage down on deck A, the elevators up to the restaurants and description of what happens on turnover day in port and how they source their supplies in Europe. One of the best backstage tours I've had anywhere and all it cost DCL was a couple hours of one officer's time, a couple bottles of champagne (there were a lot of people on the tour) and some canapés and we could have even done without the food/drink! I hope when we hit 50 cruises we can at least take a tour of the bridge and being able to hit the Mickey horn button would be a goal worth reaching for.

The nights vs # of cruises has gone on since DCL introduced the different levels. Personally, I don't think taking one or two long cruises shows loyalty to the cruise line so shouldn't jet pack you to a high level. I started sailing with Disney when they only had 3/4 night cruises. The cruises I took when that was all they had and then 7 nights when that was all they had show more loyalty than someone who has come along recently and taken a 15 night Transatlantic cruise (trust me we've done those too).

To me the top level of a loyalty program should be very difficult to reach. That's the only way to keep the perks of any value to the customer and the program of value to the cruise line. When DCL designed the current program, they were shooting to have a certain percent of cruisers in each category. Unfortunately, I think they miscalculated how quickly people would move up and they now have too large a percentage in the platinum level. (Heck, we just take my parents along occasionally and they are at gold level). So if they were redesigning it, I don't think they would do it so even more people were in the top level -- that would require them to scale back the benefits and make them even more meaningless.

What I'd like to see is maybe 5 levels: Keep the current 3 and don't take any benefits away but add a level that you reach at 25 cruises and another at 50. And I think the benefit that they should add for these levels are different experiences - when you've taken 25 cruises or more the activities become a little stale so it is nice to have something a little different and special to look forward to. Back when they had backstage tours for platinum members we were able to do a real galley tour on one of the transatlantic cruises, it included the storage down on deck A, the elevators up to the restaurants and description of what happens on turnover day in port and how they source their supplies in Europe. One of the best backstage tours I've had anywhere and all it cost DCL was a couple hours of one officer's time, a couple bottles of champagne (there were a lot of people on the tour) and some canapés and we could have even done without the food/drink! I hope when we hit 50 cruises we can at least take a tour of the bridge and being able to hit the Mickey horn button would be a goal worth reaching for.

How close are you to the 50 cruise mark? We were on an RCCL cruise where a couple had cruised 40 times and they were given a bottle of champagne at the frequent cruisers' mtg (similar to the Castaway Club mtg.)

I like this idea!!!

I was a little disappointed when nothing extra was done for our 25th cruise. Even just something small in the room. I am tired of the same old bags, cups, etc. I give them to all my friends when I return home. I would have been happy with a thank you card. Anything!!!!! We have done a mixture of 3, 4, 5, & 7 day cruises since 2003.

I also agree there should be new tiers at 25 and 50.

At 25 15 percent off stores and choose 2 out of three for the room service gift.

At 50. 20 percent off stores and you get all three stateroom gift.

Being realistic as DCL isn't going to give you too much.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter