• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Netflix?

coinkc

<font color=red>You can find some hot dates at Six
Would anybody be willing to share their experience with Netflix? How does it work? What would I need in order to be able to watch it on my tv? Can more than one device use the same account?

I'm thinking of getting it as a Christmas gift to my teenager (since apparently according to her we are the ONLY ones that don't have it...:rotfl2:). However, she will be going to college in the fall so if I get a year's membership, would she be able to watch it on her computer at school? Or is it tied to one device (i.e. our tv at home?).

Thanks so much for your help!

The streaming only Netflix (about $7.99 per month) membership can be set up with up to three devices. So, on my account, my two kids in college are also on it. Not a bad deal.

I have a Smart TV so I can watch it directly on my TV. Otherwise, you can watch on your computer or you can hook your computer up to the TV with an HDMI cord and the shows will then be watchable on your TV screen. Also, if you have an XBox or comparable gaming system, they are usually "smart" and you can stream Netflix through them.

You can watch it on a computer, smartphone, iPad, through an Xbox, Playstation, or Wii, and even though the higher end Bluray players.

I love Netflix! I have it on several different devices at home and work! Probably about 6-7 total considering the phones, gaming systems, work comp, and my bluray but you can't play more than 3 at once.

I always find something fun to watch and it is very cheap! It's really great to have!

How does it work?
For $7.99 per month you get unlimited streaming of Netflix's library of movies and tv shows. You can stream to your desktop, laptop, tablet, smartphone, game console, bluray player, smart tv, or "settop box".

What would I need in order to be able to watch it on my tv?
You would need a SmartTV with Internet access, or a current generation gaming console (PS3, PS4, X-Box 360, X-Box One, Wii, or Wii U) with Internet access, a bluray or dvd player that includes Netflix streaming, or a "settop box" like a Roku.

Can more than one device use the same account?
Yes.

would she be able to watch it on her computer at school?

Yes. That is assuming her university doesn't block it for some reason.

There's several "smart" devices out there that allow for streaming if you don't have a smart TV. Most blu ray players have it included, plus there are streaming devices like Roku, AppleTV, and gaming consoles. And there's always your computer.

I have the basic account as well, but they've dropped it to two devices at once. If you pay for the DVD rentals as well you will be able to stream from more devices. I have my account set up here in California and in Texas for my aunt. I haven't had an issue so far with it.

You can have your account logged in on a multitude of devices, but it will only stream to two devices at once. So if I'm watching a movie on my computer, and my aunt is watching a movie in Texas, my bf gets stuck using Crackle or another service because he can't stream from the PS3.

Would anybody be willing to share their experience with Netflix? How does it work? What would I need in order to be able to watch it on my tv? Can more than one device use the same account?

I'm thinking of getting it as a Christmas gift to my teenager (since apparently according to her we are the ONLY ones that don't have it...:rotfl2:). However, she will be going to college in the fall so if I get a year's membership, would she be able to watch it on her computer at school? Or is it tied to one device (i.e. our tv at home?).

I can answer some of your questions. Not all, but some. We do have netflix, and can access 1 DVD at a time, plus we have the ability to download shows/movies to watch. We have a cable box from charter, as well as a TiVo box. I do not know which one picks up the netflix feed.

Our Dd watches stuff from Netflix and Amazon prime on her computer while she is at college. And we download stuff to watch at home. I do not know if you can be watching a download at home and on campus at the same time. We've never had a conflict.

DH is the "tech support" in our house, so he understands HOW this works, I have no clue.

Thank you all so much for the information!

We don't have a smart tv (heck, we don't even have HD!) but we do own a Wii. It's a couple of years old though - would that matter? I don't want to have to tie my computer to the tv since usually I am on it while she is watching a show.

We also have a cable box from Time Warner - would that matter at all?

First I heard of that. I have it set up for at least five. Or do you mean three at the same time?

Maybe.

When I went in to add my devices (this was about 2 months ago), it only gave me "openings" or "fields" for 3 devices. Granted, I didn't spend a LOT of time on the screen and didn't need more than three, so maybe there was a way to set up more. I'll go check now....

OK, I'm back. Still can only set up/personalize three devices.

Maybe. When I went in to add my devices (this was about 2 months ago), it only gave me "openings" or "fields" for 3 devices. Granted, I didn't spend a LOT of time on the screen and didn't need more than three, so maybe there was a way to set up more. I'll go check now.... OK, I'm back. Still can only set up/personalize three devices.

Weird. I know I have my Netflix like flightlessduck on about 5. I have it on my iPhone, iPad, TV, a bluray player and my wii....

Thank you all so much for the information!

We don't have a smart tv (heck, we don't even have HD!) but we do own a Wii. It's a couple of years old though - would that matter? I don't want to have to tie my computer to the tv since usually I am on it while she is watching a show.

We also have a cable box from Time Warner - would that matter at all?

Our Wii is very old and Netflix works just fine on it.

As long as the device is set up to watch it on, does not matter where you are. When my dd was in college she was always watching Netflix with her friends at school.

So much so she GAVE OUT our info to a roommate who took advantage of that and was watching on our account long after she was not even her roommate. Took me a few password changes to shake her off.:headache:

Frankly I find the Wii to work better with Netflix than my blu ray player here. But then again my Blu Ray is not stellar. It times out and buffers. Very annoying.

I'm a Netflix cheerleader :cheer2: We've had a membership for almost as long as Netflix has been in business.

We pay about $21/month for unlimited streaming (we have a 2-year-old Wii and it works great!) and two DVD's out at a time.

I have l-o-n-g lists for both streaming and DVD's, will probably never get them all watched in my lifetime as I just keep adding to them. :)

We watch on our TV, I've also watched on my desktop computer, and now my Kindle Fire HD and my Droid phone as well. It's really nice for when we're camping/traveling and have WiFi service.

Maybe.

When I went in to add my devices (this was about 2 months ago), it only gave me "openings" or "fields" for 3 devices. Granted, I didn't spend a LOT of time on the screen and didn't need more than three, so maybe there was a way to set up more. I'll go check now....

OK, I'm back. Still can only set up/personalize three devices.

From the Netflix site.

"Once you have an active Netflix membership, you can have six (6) devices registered to your account at any given time, and you may stream up to two (2) movies or TV shows at the same time by default. There is also an option to upgrade to four (4) streams at the same time from the Your Account page."

I'm pretty sure you can have more than 6 devices. My brother lets me use his Netflix log-in (I let him use my Amazon Prime log-in in return) and I have netflix set up on 2 cell phones, 2 ipads, a kindle fire, PS3, Wii and 2 blue ray players just at our house alone.

He and his wife have 2 cell phones, a kindle fire a laptop and a bluray player in their household. Plus they let their friend use the account as well and I don't know how many devices she has set up.

Now it lets each of us have our own profile and asks us who is watching on the device...so maybe you can have 6 profiles on each account.

Two devices at a time is $7.99. Four devices at a time is $11.99 per month.

From the Netflix site.

"Once you have an active Netflix membership, you can have six (6) devices registered to your account at any given time, and you may stream up to two (2) movies or TV shows at the same time by default. There is also an option to upgrade to four (4) streams at the same time from the Your Account page."

Well, I will have to spend some more time on it. I'm logged into the account. I have three profiles established and I am not seeing a way to add another profile.:confused3 I'm sure this is TOTAL operator error and I admit to not spending more than 5 minutes on this but that's what I have in front of me!

I can say we for sure have more than six devices on netflix. 2 iphones, 2 iPods, 1 ipad, 2 3ds, Xbox, bluray, and 2 roku boxes, and a nook. Now it's possible some were grandfathered in or something but we have yet to hit a limit. They are all on one wifi if that matters, and I devices share one iTunes account. I can say last night I got a message that only 2 can stream at a time so my account has that limit.

I used to be a Netflix hater, angry over that splitting of the dvd and streaming service. I eventually got over my snit and re-subscribed. I have noticed that I do not miss the DVD part at all. I have had it for several months now and still finding some good stuff to watch.

We have never run into any problems with too many devices. I guess it is kind of silly because we have on place in the house with 3 different ways to get on Netflix. The TV itself (which is the easiest way), a video game, and the Blu-ray player all have apps for it. We have another tv with a Roku box, access via iPad. I have it on my phone too, but I don't use it due to fear of using up too much data, and the fact the tiny screen drives me nuts anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter