Need to Vent...flight changed to 7 am!!

SnoWhiteRabbit

DIS Veteran
I just need to vent...I booked a 9:45am flight and I've been bumped to a 7:15 am flight!!!! We live about 45 minutes from the airport and are supposed to be there 1 to 2 hours before flight time?!?! YUCK!!!:eek: If were just my DH & I, that would be one thing...but we are travelling with an infant, a 2 year old and a 4 year old!!!!!Oh no....We will need to leave our house before 5am...and wake at *shudder* I can't even say what time we will need to get up!!!

Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent.:eek:

Have you called them about this? When our flight time changed, were able to re-book for later flights without paying the penalty. They are more flexible with the re-booking policy when it is their fault. Just call them and explain the situation like you did here. You might get lucky.

Definitely check with them...with that big of a time change, they should put you on a later flight at no extra cost. I have had this happen a few times with American, ATA, and United, and they have all allowed me to switch. United even allowed me to switch the day.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I would be a little irritated too. Look at the bright side though. You'll have a couple of extra hrs. at Disney.

:rolleyes: ;) :D :rolleyes: ;) :D

Don't you love the airlines. They can change their schedules and don't have to do anything for you. You change your schedule and they want $100 to change your ticket, what a racket.

Anyway, you might consider getting a room at a hotel/motel down at the airport for the night. If you're driving your own car there some places have a deal on parking that's cheaper then the airports lots.

We also live about an hour from our airport and have a real early flight. I read about "park and fly" packages on these boards. After researching I was able to find a hotel for the night, continental breakfast in the am, shuttle to airport terminal (no taking buses from satelite parking), return shuttle when we came home and free parking for our car all week.

Only $10 more than what we would of paid for parking at the airport for the week. Do some research...you may find a deal.

I think that each time the airline changes our flights. we should expect them to pay US $100 per ticket. Our Christmas flights have already been changed and I am thinking of writing to the airline and telling them just that. I only made these reservations in February.

Try to fly standby on a later flight. Just keep checking the flights on the internet and if you see one wide open aim for that one. It is easy, just ask when you check in and they will walk you through the steps involved. I've done it a few times. There is no extra charge for flying standby.

I'd suggest calling the airline too! Our return flight was changed on our August trip from 6:45 PM to 1:00 PM; I told them that was unaaceptable, they offered a flight that then would has us landing after midnight; again I said no way, told them I wanted an AM flight for the next day; at no charge we flew home on 9/2, instead of 9/1 & were given a 10:30 AM flight. We packed up, had a relaxing breakfast & headed out. Call & stick to your guns on your request, it worked for us!

This past summer we had an early flight booked months in advance with US Air out of LGA and they changed it to two hours later. At first they said the tickets were non refundable, but then when I said the time change was unacceptable, they did give me a refund. And then I found a perfect early flight with Delta, for about $10 more a ticket, and it worked out fine.
In fact, our early flight was the 7:15 out of LGA. We live about 30 minutes from the airport, and it I thought getting there 2 hours early would be a strain, but it was more exciting than a hassle.
Good luck.

Thanks all for letting me vent, sharing my misery and for the suggestions. I did call back and was able to wiggle our way back onto the original flight. Feeling much better...departing at 9:45, we will have to leave our house at 7, which is challenge enough with a 4 yr old a 2 yr old and an infant *lol* Leaving the house at 4:30 am was not an appealing option!

Thanks again for letting me vent!

I did call back and was able to wiggle our way back onto the original flight.

Wait! You mean they involuntarily bumped you to an earlier flight and your original flight was still scheduled?!? Oh, that's slimy and may even be in violation of their agreement with you. What airline was this?

I thought the same thing...here's the catch...I was booking by phone, directly with Continental, in order to use a credit for a previous cancelled trip...see my post on fear of flying ;)

I have my notes, where I wrote down one time and one flight number that I was interested in (after researching rates and availability on Orbitz, Expedia, and Continental).

So, I requested a specific flight # and know there was availability. I pressumably booked 4 seats on this flight - no problem - back in August. But I never received an e-mail confirmation. I called at least 10 times about the receipt (for e-tickets) (I requested it emailed and faxed -- numerous times). It finally came through and I found I was on the wrong flight.

They claim "no record of a change." But, I am positive I requested flight 792 departing 9:45 am...they put me on 1892...departing 7:15 am - not even close. But, nobody will admitt I had been bumped and I don't have anything to prove otherwise.

I did find the whole experience suspicious! I am just glad to be back on the original flight - but I hope nobody else got bumped to do it
:eek:

Did I mention it was Continental ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter