• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

National or Dollar Car Rental

princess's mom

Earning My Ears
I have used EA for my last two rentals, however, National's rates with DC coupon and old DC rate for November are higher than what I got from Dollar for a full size car. I have never used Dollar before; what kind of lines can I expect at the counter? What is the condition of their cars? Basically is it worth going with so many unknown variables to save a few bucks?:confused:

We most often use National..but Dollar was so inexpensive with the Entertain rate that this time we went with them. We got a brand new (less than 500 miles on it) PT Cruiser (which I thought I wouldn't like and I loved it..lots more room than I thought it would have!). There was no line (we get there about 11 am), and we actually liked the garage pickup better than Nationals..where we can never find anyone. The car was very clean.

We use both, but have been using dollar more since National prices are so high. We like using EA with National, but the counters at Dollar have never been a problem. The cars are much better than National, cleaner and newer. Also intermediate and higher all seem to have key-less entry, a toy my husband loves. You can't go wrong with either of them. I have dollar booked for this week and next month at $126 a week for a full size...great price.

I have used both companies, but the last few years I have always gotten a much better price with Dollar. We also use Dollar at other airport locations too and have never had a problem. With Dollar you can sign up for Fastlane (free), and avoid the lines completely at the counter. Sometimes there is no wait at all, other times it's long...just depends on arrival time I guess. Fastlane gets us in our car just minutes after landing. And, Dollar's lot is about the closest walk of all the rental car agencies at MCO.

I like the convenience of EA with National, but have been finding a much lower rate with Dollar so the last two times we used Dollar.

First I was an avid EA man, then switched to L&M for great rates - now for my next 3 visits I'll be using dollar (as of now anyway) for even better rates. I too signed up for the Free FASTLANE club.

Hey DMRick,

What rate did you get for a PT cruiser? I'm booked but looking to upgrade if the price is right.

Just out of curiosity what size is everyone booking that their getting a PT Cruserr? I've seen this on the boards a couple of times...........but if I check it out on their web site, a PT Cruser isn't even showing up.

Thanks,

Kim

Another Dollar guy here also. (for the time being) I shop best on airport price.

We got a PT Cruiser in August for booking a geo metro (smallest size they had) and they upgraded us.

Can someone post Dollar's web-site address? We're members of the Emerald Club and for a 9 day stay got a price for $646!! I'm would love to comparision shop!! Thank you :)

first go to mousesavers.com then click on Ground Transportation for the codes for all the various car rental agencies.
dollar.com with get you to the Dollar agency online.

I've used Dollar a few times because I haven't found anyone else on the airport that comes close to matching their rate for minivans. I've tried National a few times, hoping to catch that 'special' car on EA but have been disappointed each time with the condition of the cars available, either dinged up or dirty inside. Last time I used them in Austin TX and got a car with just enough gas in the tank to get me to a gas station. So far no problems with Dollar, but do sign up for their FastLane program to help reduce the wait in line.

This is our first trip to WDW and we rented a minivan through National for 8 days for $316 using promotional rates and Disney Club discount. I noticed a few days ago the rate for Dollar was about $16 less. It sounds like poeple have had a better expereince with Dollar overall. I wasn't really planning on changing, but maybe we should. Or are both companies generally the same caliber as far as service and quality with bad experiences on both sides?

Just for future reference, Dollar has its own Fastlane service that allows you to skip the lines and go right to your car which is basically the same as National's Emerald service. Moreover it costs nothing to join and you can join on-line at www.dollar.com.

Originally posted by drusba
Just for future reference, Dollar has its own Fastlane service that allows you to skip the lines and go right to your car which is basically the same as National's Emerald service. Moreover it costs nothing to join and you can join on-line at www.dollar.com.

Is this something that's changed in the past year? The prior times I used Dollar you still needed to stop at the counter, but there was a special lane for FastLane members that had a much smaller and quicker moving line.

Just don't wait till the last minute like I did...........it requires at least 72 hours to process.........I did it yesterday, so needless to say I won't have mine in time for tomorrow morning......boohoo.......just hope the lines aren't to long

I'm glad to see so many Dollar fans but I have to wonder what your secret is for getting lower prices from them than National. I suspect it's that you aren't getting the best rate from National.

I'm renting intermediate for a weekend in early Nov and fullsize for 8 days in early Dec, and (without the entertain code, no longer accepted) I am getting better rates from National for both. And yes I tried ALL the mousesavers codes at Dollar.

Originally posted by erikthewise
I'm glad to see so many Dollar fans but I have to wonder what your secret is for getting lower prices from them than National. I suspect it's that you aren't getting the best rate from National.

I'm renting intermediate for a weekend in early Nov and fullsize for 8 days in early Dec, and (without the entertain code, no longer accepted) I am getting better rates from National for both. And yes I tried ALL the mousesavers codes at Dollar.

I think the rental car companies work much like the airlines, they raise and lower their rates based on the demand that they are seeing for reservations. I tend to plane a number of months in advance and for a mini van Dollar has ALWAYS been lower then National/Hertz/Avis or Budget when I've check. I have a weekly rental next month that's $199, but if I booked it now it's $429 for the same dates. Same for the flights, three months ago $199, now $375.

N2Mm,

How did you get the $126 rate for a full size? After trying all the codes, the best I could get was $175 for an intermediate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter