• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My opinion on the 'peace' protesters

"It's a real cop out to say you are against the war and against the administration but "support the troops".

I guess I don't get why this is a cop-out. :(

I see this war for what it is - its not a John Wayne movie! Its the real thing, life and death, blood and guts. Sorry, I don't feel especially awe-struck, and I'm sorry if people feel that is unpatriotic. Some of us feel that the President may have had a personal agenda here other than liberty for Iraq.

However, why is it a cop out to say we support our troops? Now that the war is here, why shouldn't we rally behind the young men and women over there putting their lives on the line for this country? They didn't order the war, the President did - but the President isn't fighting this war, they are.

Or is the right to support our troops only reserved for those who support the President's efforts leading up to this war?

I guess what I am trying to say is that there are MANY people, myself included, who don't see everything so black and white. It is possible to see grey in some areas, believe it or not.

I agree, cuz.

It's so sad that there is no middle ground for opinions about this war, at least with most of the people here.

I guess I have so much going on in my own life that I can't possibly put so much into something that does not personally affect me now.

I don't know if it will affect my future, it may or may not, but right now I have to concentrate on getting peace within.

There IS a middle ground, folks. Anger and rhetoric cannot change the way people feel and think.

"There IS a middle ground, folks."

Of course there is.... but ShortBun sure didn't sound like that's where he/she is speaking from. Someone who calls our military men and women uneducated isn't a middle of the road kinda person.

Snoopy...I agree with you on the "awe" part. I really can't stand that they keep using the words shock and awe. Using awe in the phrase makes it sound like they are talking about fireworks...not about bombs. I have felt that we needed to go in and get Saddam out, it should have been done along time ago. I wish it could have been through diplomatic channels, but sometimes force is the only way. I'm just not in "awe" .

Originally posted by dandave
shortbun, Prior to your post, I really had no negative feelings towards <b>peaceful</b> protesters. I just figured that they wanted peace. I thought that they, perhaps, felt that there was still room for diplomacy. I thought that maybe they feared possible repercussions of a military strike. I thought....they thought.

It never entered my mind that the protesters viewed our military troops as uneducated idiots, who needed to be protected by The Enlightened Vomit Squad. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

They seem to be taking care of themselves pretty well, IMHO.

Well said.

I had been wishing I didn't live in a military community until I read this thread. Yes, we have some protesters here. There are a small, orderly, well organized group and seem to really believe in their cause. (Just to clarify, I don't live in Seattle!) Along with their other signs, they hold signs that say "Support the Troops through Peace". They work very hard not to insult the MANY people we have over there from our community and their families.

We have had huge demonstrations. About 4 thousand people showed up for a "Support the Troups" demonstration(very large for this area). Last night in the pouring rain I drove down the freeway and saw people waving flags on every overpass. I am proud to be part of this community.

To the military community it is all about doing our duty. Quickly completely this mission and getting out of there with as little loss of life as possible. Fighting over the right and wrong of it at this point is not the focus. It is all about getting them home one way or the other.

I am not pro military or pro war nor am I strongly anti either one, but I am pro peace. I see that as an ultimate common goal that all of us want.

The definition of AWE according to Webster's: The power to inspire dread.

I think it fits.

Those around Ft.Hood have also had several "We support out troops" rallies. I can;t imagine being a military family member and living where all of these anti-war portests are going on.

I would love to hear what troops who are serving over seas think about the protesters. Of course, they have the right to voice their opinion, but they are causing a disruption in others' lives.

I wonder what would happen if every protester spent all that energy and time working with one low-peforming student.

Just a couple of thoughts, and then I'll stay out of the way...

1. War is bad. People die violent, horrible deaths or, like my father, come back with memories so disturbing that they are never the same person again.

2. As horrible as it is, sometimes war is necessary in the face of aggression.

I think disycat is on to something, though - being pro peace. Everyone - no matter your political views - can agree that peace is good, right?

Daisy

Snoopy and Disykat - I loved your posts. I wish I could write as eloquently as the two of you did. Those are my feelings exactly.

I love the saying, "Support the Troops through Peace". :)

I agree with Saffron.

I stated sometime shortly before this war started... and I still believe, that war is wrong. But I believe I can, and I know I do support our troops. I do NOT support the Bush Administration and I do not believe this war is the right thing to do. I don't know if I could ever believe any war is the right thing to do. I am opposed to all forms of violence.

I watch the war coverage on TV and am in Awe... horrifyingly so. I feel saddened at the loss of any of our troops, and equally saddened by any and all casualties of war. That's how I feel. I watch the destruction of Iraq and can't help feel saddened. I can't help but imagine how "we" the US would be reacting if the city we were watching be bombarded and destroyed was within our own borders. It brings the morning of 9/11 back to me vividly, watching the destruction and feeling utterly horrified and devastated.... it's heartbreaking and I feel like there is nothing I can do... but perhaps join in a protest march and express my sorrow and sadness by taking advantage of living in a free country where I can express my outrage, express my non-support of this action because I do love and support my country.

I have no "inside" political information, shoot, I can barely keep up on current events.... but I knew in my heart immediately following the presidental election that we would be in a war sometime in the next four years... I hoped I was wrong and I am sorry my feeling were accurate at that time. So I strongly did not and do not support the current administration. I do fear them, as I fear for the safety of our troops and our citizens.

Well said, By The Sea. There is bound to be someone who will take offense to your sentiments though, and declare you anti-American!

One of the biggest issues I have with this war is the fact that we went in without the blessing of the UN. I hope and pray we don't live to regret the fact that we we discarded the UN as an instrument of global order and I can understand why other countries are less than impressed.

That being said, I do agree that Sadaam Hussein is an evil man, as bad as they come. I do believe he is a threat to this country as long as he is alive. Just one of many threats, but certainly one of the biggest.

So I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I understand the real need for war, on the other, I fear that there will be repercussions that will threaten us on our own soil.

Is it so wrong to be on the fence? Does it make me less than a proud American to exercise my right to voice these doubts?

Any American that believes protesting is unpatriotic should re-read their history books.

The right to protest the policies of the government without fear of reprisal is THE number one most basic right granted to Americans under the Constitution. (see: Freedom of Speech and Assembly)

The slaves were emancipated as a result of protesting.

Women were given the right to vote as a result of protesting.

Every shred of civil rights legislation ever enacted came about as a result of protesting.

Every labor law and safety code for workers came about as a result of protesting.

The VietNam War was eventually ended as a result of pressure from the American People, otherwise known as protesting.

This country was founded on complaining. It has grown and thrived by complaining. It has become the largest superpower in the history of the world through complaining.

Whatever side you're on on any given issue, protesting made this country what it is today.

God Bless America and ALL its vocal complainers. :)

Protesting what you strongly (or not so strongly) believe in is never wrong. That's what freedom of speech is all about. It's those protesters that turn violent or start interferring with peoples everyday activities that bother me.
Sitting on a fence isn't bad. I can see why you can see both sides of this whole situation. And as much as I think we needed to go in with a show of force, I alos have mixed feelings when I see the bombs falling. ( I think it's the Mom in me) I am able to understand that people are entitled to what they believe in and it's not up to me to change their way of thinking. Not that I would ever try to change someones mind on this subject.
I was very angry over one of the posts, but I'm over it and can move on.

Now I wish I could stop watching the TV. I turn the channel and within 5 minutes I'm back to the news channels.

It is my belief that some of the protestors are professional protestors and will rally against anything instead of work.

It's easier to live off the land than it is to cultivate it.

ByTheSea -- once again, words I wish I could have said myself, even those about the election.

.I do not support the war, but I do support the great men and women who fight and perhaps die for our country. I would hope that our troops know that even if we protest or simply disagree with the war, we do so while we pray for their fast and safe return .God Bless The U.S.A

I BELIEVE in the right to protest.............peacefully and not disrupt others in there every day lives and not endanger others by protesting with the premis that if I can I will make someone elses life misserable in the process...........ie destroying parts of the city in which you are protesting, blocking traffic, and causing total mayham in the act of protesting. My take is do it the right way or not at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter