My Goal --- To BQ some day. Next attempt Fall 2013

I will post last weeks totals and the August totals in this post. This was a high mileage week on the plan (72 miles). Including a 2.5 hour long run.

Sun 18.1 miles, 8:35 avg pace, 143 avg HR
Mon AM 8.1 miles, 9:00 pace, 133 HR
Mon PM 4.0 miles, 9:00 pace, 132 HR
Tue 7.8 miles, 9:02 pace, 137 HR
Wed 8.0 miles, 8:23 pace, 147 HR
Thu 8.7 miles, 8:46 pace, 138 HR
Fri 11.0 miles, 8:51 pace, 136 HR
Sat 7.4 miles, 8:45 pace, 140 HR

Total 73.1 miles, 8:45 pace, 138 HR

Wed's run was in the pouring rain.

August total.

289 miles, 8:46 pace, 138 HR

July - 327 miles, 8:57 pace, 138 HR
June - 208 miles, 8:58 pace, 144 HR

Training is going well. My pace is getting faster at the same easy effort.

David

David
Your numbers are impressive to say the least.And you do this all before the birds are up?

It is a different mind set you have to have to slow down isn't it?I am doing the distance but feel like I am not working hard enough if I am not breaking my last time.And the shin still hurts-mostly in the a.m. when I get up and get moving.

I did notice on Mon.you did 4 miles in the p.m.,is that because you run easier in the morning?I really do think there is something to that.

Have a great one and thanks for your continued support,
Linda

David
Your numbers are impressive to say the least.And you do this all before the birds are up?

It is a different mind set you have to have to slow down isn't it?I am doing the distance but feel like I am not working hard enough if I am not breaking my last time.And the shin still hurts-mostly in the a.m. when I get up and get moving.

I did notice on Mon.you did 4 miles in the p.m.,is that because you run easier in the morning?I really do think there is something to that.

Have a great one and thanks for your continued support,
Linda

I know it sounds crazy but running faster doesn't make you faster. Running more makes you faster. If you run to fast you are to worn out to run more. You want to run about 90% of your miles at an Easy effort. The problem is that if you aren't running very much what feels easy is actually to fast.

There are a couple of different things you can do to run the proper pace.

One is to get a heart rate monitor to give you instant feedback. If I ran 3 days a week my legs wouldn't be worn out all the time. I could run at 1/2 marathon effort and it would feel fast but still easy. But if I had a HR monitor I could see that me HR was sky high.

The other thing you can do is run at the proper paces based on a recent race. You can get those paces by inputing a race result into these 2 calculators.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running University/Article 1/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

http://www.runworks.com/calculator.html

There is nothing magical about a HR monitor. You can get the same results by using the calculators to run the proper paces.

Compare my paces and HR's in early July to my paces and HR now. I am running easier now but running faster.

Here is another article that is great. It has five parts. Jack Daniels' invented the term Tempo pace. This explains why you should run slower and run more to get faster.

http://www.coacheseducation.com/endur/jack-daniels-june-00.htm

I run based on the hard/easy principal. Here is how I set up my weeks.

Sun - Long run or quality run, push the pace a bit. Run in the 2 - 2.5 hour range. I want my long runs to average about a minute per mile slower then my goal Marathon Pace.

Mon - Easy/Recovery 45-75 mins
Tues - Easy/Recovery 45-75 mins

Wed - Medium long run or second quality run in the 2 hour range

Thu - Easy/Recovery 45-75 mins

Fri - Medium long run 90-120 mins

Sat - Easy/Recovery 45-75 mins

Sunday and Wednesdays are Quality days. Everything else is easy miles to hit my mileage goals. I sometimes run a short run in the evening to add more miles instead of making one of my Easy runs to long.

Hope this helps. I know it is a lot of information.

David

Just finished another week. Week 5, 13 weeks to go. I am down to 145 pounds. That is 13 pounds in 11 weeks. Only 7 more pounds to hit my goal race weight.

Sun - 12.8 miles, 8:11 pace, 150 average HR. Ran 2 miles easy, then 2 x 1.5 miles Tempo pace 7:00 mpm with 1 minute recovery, average HR for Tempo pace was 166, then 60 minutes easy.

Mon - AM 7.2 miles, 8:40 pace, 139 HR
Mon - PM 4.5 miles, 9:00 pace, 128 HR
Tue - 10.7 miles, 8:36 pace, 135 HR

Wed - 12.0 miles, 8:21 pace, 142 HR including 4 miles at Marathon Pace 7:36 average, 155 HR

Thu - 7.9 miles, 9:00 pace, 134 HR
Fri - AM 7.2 miles, 8:58 pace, 135 HR
Fri - PM 4.7 miles, 8:56 pace, 125 HR
Sat - 6.0 miles, 8:57 pace, 133 HR

Total 73 miles, 8:38 pace, 136 HR

A very good week. I was able to run Tempo pace without my hamstring revolting. Knock on wood. Next week is a cutback week, 56 miles. Then I will start the hardest 8 weeks of my running life. Phase 3 and Phase 4 of Daniels' Plan A.

Thanks for reading.

David

Just finished Week 6. Plan called for 56 miles. This is the last low mileage week for a while. I will average about 75 miles the next 5 weeks.

HR max is 184.

Sun - 10.0 miles, 7:50 pace. 153 HR Including 5 x 1 mile Tempo with 1 min rest. Mile 1 7:01, 157 HR // Mile 2 6:54, 163 HR // Mile 3 6:52, 166 HR // Mile 4 6:54, 168 HR // Mile 5 6:54, 169 HR

Mon - 5.2 miles, 8:56 pace, 131 HR
Tue - 8.1 miles, 9:05 pace, 137 HR
Wed - 6.9 miles, 8:57 pace, 136 HR
Thu - 12.5 miles, 8:45 pace, 135 HR
Fri - 7.1 miles, 8:54 pace, 139 HR
Sat - 7.3 miles, 8:44 pace, 136 HR

Total 57.1 miles, 8:41 pace, 138 HR

The Tempo run went great. The problem was that it took me the rest of the week to recover. I had dead legs all week. I have realized that I am not ready to run 70-80 miles a week while doing 40-80 mins of Tempo pace. I am going to replace Daniels' "Tempo - Long - Tempo" long runs for 18 -20 miles at easy pace. I am also going to cut down the mid-week Tempo run from 40-50 mins of Tempo pace to 20-30 mins of Tempo pace.

I keep reminding myself that the 2 most important factors for me are to 1. Get to the starting line healthy. and 2. Get the mileage in.

We will see how next week goes. It is supposed to get much cooler mid-week.

David

Week 7, 11 weeks left. This is one of 3 peak mileage weeks. Plan called for 80 miles. My HR max is 184.

Sun AM - 7.2 miles, 8:45 pace, 142 HR
Sun PM - 6.9 miles, 9:05 pace, 129 HR
Mon AM - 8.0 miles, 8:59 pace, 134 HR
Mon PM - 4.4 miles, 9:08 pace, 125 HR
Tue - 10.6 miles, 8:42 pace, 132 HR
Wed - 18.2 miles, 8:37 pace, 140 HR
Thu - 7.0 miles, 8:46 pace, 142 HR
Fri AM - 8.0 miles, 8:44 pace, 135 HR
Fri PM - 4.2 miles, 9:09 pace, 135 HR
Sat - 8.5 miles, 8:40 pace, 136 HR

Total 83.0 miles, 8:47 average pace, 135 average HR

The week went very well. It was very hot Sunday and Monday so I put off my long run until Wednesday. Then I had to get up at 4 AM to get the run in and still get to work on time. The weather was great the last part of the week. Looks like summer is finally over.

Next week will be a little lower in mileage. Around 72 miles.

David

Wow, haven't posted in a while.

Week ending 9/27, plan called for 72 miles.

Sun 6.0 miles, 8:59 pace, 132 HR
Mon 19.4 miles, 8:43 pace, 139 HR
Tue 8.1 miles, 8:27 pace, 139 HR

Wed 12.5 miles, 8:05 pace, 148 HR

Including 2 x 2 miles MP + 5 Mins easy + 2 x 2 miles MP + 5 mins easy + 2 x 2 miles Tempo pace. This workout went well until the last tempo mile. I was completely wiped out with half a mile to go. Mini-bonk. Marathon pace miles averaged 7:32, perfect. First Tempo mile 7:01, ok. Second Tempo mile 7:15, horrible with a major fade at the end.

Thur 7.9 miles, 8:55 pace, 128 HR
Fri 11.9 miles, 8:42 pace, 133 HR
Sat 0 miles, first rest day in 14 weeks.

Weds workout put me over the edge. I was completely worn out and still not recovered by Saturday morning so I took the day off hoping I would be ok for Sundays 12 miles at Marathon pace.

Monthly total for September.

September 279 miles, 8:43 average pace, 136 average HR

August - 289 miles, 8:46 pace, 138 HR
July - 327 miles, 8:57 pace, 138 HR
June - 208 miles, 8:58 pace, 144 HR

September was an improvement over August. Still making progress.

Week ending 10/4, Plan called for 64 miles.

Sun 5.0 miles, 8:15 pace, 146 HR

This workout should have been 16 miles with 12 miles at marathon pace. I did 2 warm-up miles then ran 3 at MP. There is no way I could keep going. Completely worn out. Still haven't recovered from last week.

Mon 7.9 miles, 9:09 pace, 134 HR

Tues off
Wed off
Thur off
Fri off
Sat off

Total 12.9 miles, 8:45 pace, 140 HR

Took Tues, Wed, and Thur off because I was worn out and felt beat up. Took Fri, Sat, and Sun off because I was sick. Ohh well at least I am not hurt.

I am struggling, and reconsidering even running Kiawah in 8 weeks. Just ran 4 days easy to give my legs more recovery time.

Sun - off
Mon - 7.6 miles, 9:30 pace, 138 HR
Tue - 7.5 miles, 9:16 pace, 138 HR
Wed - 7.8 miles, 9:19 pace, 138 HR
Thu - 8.1 miles, 9:05 pace, 138 HR

Total 31 miles, 9:17 pace, 138 HR

My plan is to keep increasing my mileage back up. If my average pace isn't 8:20-8:30 with an average HR of 138 I will won't have a chance to run 7:38 pace for the marathon. Every training cycle has its ups and downs.

David

Sorry to hear you are not up to par David.I am surprised really your body has not revolted before now with all those miles.
Take it easy and you will be back in no time.

I saw somewhere on these boards-oh yeah, nametag post that your wife will be with you for the full.Is she a spectator or runner?My family will be with me too.

Are we still supposed to get the program in the mail this month?I know we have to print our waiver and chip card but hope the program is still coming ahead????????? Any idea?

Thanks for stopping in on my journal.My shin is fine these days.I am following Runner's World for a training program-somewhat but need it to fit my schedule.This is the first week really.

Have a great one,
Linda

Sorry to hear you are not up to par David.I am surprised really your body has not revolted before now with all those miles.
Take it easy and you will be back in no time.

I saw somewhere on these boards-oh yeah, nametag post that your wife will be with you for the full.Is she a spectator or runner?My family will be with me too.

Are we still supposed to get the program in the mail this month?I know we have to print our waiver and chip card but hope the program is still coming ahead????????? Any idea?

Thanks for stopping in on my journal.My shin is fine these days.I am following Runner's World for a training program-somewhat but need it to fit my schedule.This is the first week really.

Have a great one,
Linda

I am glad your shins are doing well. Good luck with the training. The most important thing is staying healthy. After that it is just a matter of putting the mileage in.

I am feeling better this week. I have never had a problem runniing 70+ for long periods of time. I think the tempo runs on top of the mileage pushed me over the edge. I always recover very slowly from races and speed workouts.

My wife doesn't run, she is my support crew. We are going to be spending our honeymoon at WDW from the Jan 1st until the race. Then we are driving back to South Carolina after the race. I have promised her that I won't go crazy and stress out about the Disney Marathon. She knows how I am :)

If I don't BQ in December my plan is to run the Disney Marathon at my long run pace then sign up for the Myrtle Beach Marathon in mid February for another BQ try.

Just wanted to post an update.

I have canceled the Kiawah Marathon. The last few weeks I have only been running a few days a week. My pace has slowed and my HR has been high.

Week of 10/12 43.8 miles
Week of 10/19 9.6 miles
Week of 10/26 20 miles

I ran 6.7 miles this past Sunday and wasn't sure I was going to make it back to the car. My HR was very high and I felt like I had a lump in my chest. After the run I was having the same feelings of angina I was having 2 years ago. The next morning I went to the heart Doctor and I am having another heart cath Mon 11/10.

It is amazing to me that I was running everyday for 3 months straight 70+ mpw and having problems now. Guess that is the nature of coronary heart disease. If you are having problems you reach a tipping point. Because of my running I was able to notice it.

The first sign was in August and September when my easy pace stopping improving.

The second was the horrible case of dead legs at the end of September.

Guess I was in denial because if you read my posts at the time I wasn't concerned about my heart.

I am really bummed out. I have worked so hard the last couple of years and this is the third year in a row I have had to cancel. I am still hoping I can run the Disney marathon as a long run.

I will update again next week after the heart cath.

David

David,
I am so sorry to hear that.I know it is devastating when you work so hard.But I am sure you will agree this is not to be overlooked.

Better to be here and not running than not here at all.

Keep your chin up,keep us posted.

Linda

is like the runner's Holy Grail. Lots of people don't understand that. When I ran my only marathon at 16yo in Houston that was something I thought of now and then. Life kinda gets in the way and no one is immune to that. My hat is off to you. You demonstrate that ability to "stick to it" that many people just can't or won't do. It IS a lot of hard work...and maybe to most normal people the reward is not worth it. My own quest to earn the red plate is motivated from within...and I am in an environment where there are many temptations. I recently had an "awakening" of sorts and I am taking it day by day. The way I can relate is that I run simply because I can. You know most folks can't run past 3 miles and so we are both in that handful of folks who can. You have been doing the work to become that "lean mean machine" but unfortunately as we age we have the tendency to get injured more...the past three years I've had an "overuse" injury and it is no fun. So what is important is quality above quantity. I just started again on following a 3 day running plan to train for a half. I'm not quite sure if I am going to do the 3m but I think the training will help me to get to my goal with mountain biking. What I have to consider is everything else I balance in my life and to find that takes time. I find that tapering off every 4th week allows my body to recover so I can move to the next level. Resting has to be part of my training and as I age it becomes even more important. I also recognize my limitations and I have an incredible amount of respect for that...which a lot of people don't. Decker is coming up on the 7th and I think I am not ready. Could I run and finish? Yeah, but at what expense? This is a time for you to deal with what's going on and maybe it's not in the cards right now for you to qualify...it's a challenge and maybe not what you have in mind...but it IS an opportunity and it will make you stronger. My mentor, Jim lost 50 lbs. this past year and to tell you the truth I was envious of him: he has runner's legs and man he looks lean and mean. He did the work and he kept at it: his goal was to qualify and he came within 15 minutes. After my triathlon lesson I am still learning what it takes to get to that level and we are both fortunate we have a place to come to share about our journey. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share as a fellow runner and hope that you get well soon David!

The heart cath went fine. No new blockages, and the 5 stents I had from 2 years ago are doing great. Not sure what my problem was a few weeks ago but I am glad I over-reacted and had it checked out.

Should just running again this week. Not sure if I will be in shape to even run Disney at an easy pace.

David

David, I'm glad to read that you got checked. Good news! Sorry about the quest for BQ being somewhat stalled. Hope that WDW is still in the picture for you and that you have a good event. It may not be a qualifying event, but maybe you can make some fun out of it and keep moving steadily toward that BQ goal.

I'm reading about your high mileage and wondering what XT do you do?

Wow, it has been forever since I posted. We had a great time at Disney for our honeymoon. I didn't run the marathon. I just had no motivation to run after the heart cath. Hardly ran at all Dec-Feb, plus I gained 20 pounds.

I think I know what happened to me. I was running all of my miles at a very easy / recovery pace. When I added faster workouts my body wasn't ready for them and wasn't able to recover. I assumed the worse and thought I had heart problems again. It was just classic over-training. The total lack of motivation was the big red flag.

I am going to do it a little different this year. I am going to run my long run at a faster pace but still in the aerobic range. I am also going to add a mid-week marathon pace effort run up to about an hour. The rest of the week will be easy/recovery miles.

David

Week ending 5/9. Still getting back in shape, pace is slower and HR is higher then it was 6 months ago. Plus I weigh 159 so that doesn't help. Goal is to get down to 135 by December. My Heart Rate Max (HRmax) is 184.

Sun 15.1 miles, 8:59 pace, 145 HR
Mon 7.0 miles, 9:03 pace, 141 HR
Tue 9.0 miles, 8:57 pace, 142 HR including 6 strides

Weds 10.5 miles, 8:36 pace, 146 HR (including 4.7 miles at Marathon Pace effort, 38:22 mins, 8:08 pace, 153 HR)

Thu 7.1 miles, 8:52 pace, 144 HR
Fri 8.3 miles, 8:51 pace, 144 HR including 6 strides
Sat 6.1 miles, 9:00 pace, 140 HR

Total 63.1 miles, 8:54 pace, 143 HR

Overall a good week. Feels good to be running everyday again.

Week ending 5/16

Sun 15.5 miles, 8:38 pace, 145 HR
Mon 7.1 miles, 9:21 pace, 137 HR
Tue 9.0 miles, 8:49 pace, 142 HR including 6 strides

Wed 9.1 miles, 8:23 pace, 150 HR including 5.4 miles at MP effort, 8:03 pace, 154 HR, 43:47 mins.

Thu 7.8 miles, 9:23 pace, 137 HR
Fri 9.0 miles, 9:19 pace, 138 HR including 6 strides
Sat 7.2 miles, 9:13 pace, 142 HR

Total 64.7 miles, 8:56 pace, 142 HR

Overall a good week. My long run was faster then I expected. MP improved a little. I am working on slowing down more on my easy days to recover better. It was very humid here this week in South Carolina so I am still getting acclimated to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter