My First Solo Trip - I can do whatever I want! May 12-15th!

From the Dallas area. Just moved down to the DC area after college. What school did you attend in the Philly area?

I went to Temple, high school at Crestwood in Mttop. Definitely thinking about leaving the Philly area if I can get a job somewhere else on the East Coast though. Perhaps Disney? haha...what do you do in DC?

Hey
I'm doing my first solo trip also and will be there the week before you. I loved Pop, we stayed there a few years ago.

Love your itinerary and I think the autograph book for your DM is a great idea. I plan to do a few characters pics also.

Question: What is "Goodnight Kiss"? I have never seen that referenced before.

I went to Temple, high school at Crestwood in Mttop. Definitely thinking about leaving the Philly area if I can get a job somewhere else on the East Coast though. Perhaps Disney? haha...what do you do in DC?

Got a job down here with a government agency...actually coming to Philly to do a regional rotation in a few weeks.

DC is a great city. Not too far away from Philly, and not to far away from NEPA. Disney would be an ideal job I'm sure though, haha.

Hey
I'm doing my first solo trip also and will be there the week before you. I loved Pop, we stayed there a few years ago.

Love your itinerary and I think the autograph book for your DM is a great idea. I plan to do a few characters pics also.

Question: What is "Goodnight Kiss"? I have never seen that referenced before.

Hello!! Thanks for stopping by! I'm really excited about the solo! This trip is full of firsts for me and POP is the biggest one! It's going to be such a different environment that POFQ where we've stayed for the past couple trips. Do you have a TR? I've been reading as many solo TR's as I can to prepare myself haha! The "goodnight kiss" is something I've learned about here on the Dis, at the very end of the night at the MK, the castle changes colors and there is a song and Disney thanks people for visiting. ehh... didn't explain that very well but if you go on Youtube they have some great videos of it.

Got a job down here with a government agency...actually coming to Philly to do a regional rotation in a few weeks.

DC is a great city. Not too far away from Philly, and not to far away from NEPA. Disney would be an ideal job I'm sure though, haha.

You'll have a lot of fun up here! There's so much to do and the weather has been awesome!

So, since I'm 33 days out, I decided to update with a little top 3 for all the parks. :goodvibes

First up, my fave park - Hollywood Studios
Top 3 Rides/ Shows
1. Tower of Terror - imho, the best ride at Disney! I could ride it over and over again (and have in the past) and not get sick of it!
2. Toy Story Mania - this ride is just so much fun and I like how it's different every time you ride it. Hopefully I'll be able to do this one a couple times on the next trip to get some practice in before my next trip with DM!
3. Voyage of the Little Mermaid - loved this movie when I was a kid and I think this show is so cute!

Animal Kingdom - Top 3 Rides/ Shows
1. Expedition Everest - even though I don't think I've ever seen the Yeti, I love this coaster! And the view from the top is awesome!
2. Festival of the Lion King - best live show at Disney, hands down.
3. Kilimanjaro Safaris - this one is by default bc I'm not really into any of the other attractions

Epcot - Top 3 Rides/ Shows
1. Soarin - so amazing!
2. Impressions de France - spent a month in Paris a few years ago and it's a beautiful film, although it might be time for a refurb
3. Mission: Space - love the feeling when you take off

Magic Kingdom - Top 3 Rides/ Shows
1. Space Mountain - just reminds me of being a kid
2. Mickey's Philharmagic - so cute!
3. Wishes! i'm a nerd and the soundtrack is definitely on my ipod!

Top 3 Table-Service Restaurants
1. Le Cellier - ate here with the fam on our last big trip and it was pretty amazing - I had a salmon dish with some kind of maple-glaze and couscous and I've never had salmon that was even close to as good!
2. Narcoossee's - had apps and drinks here with DM last time and had a fantastic bartender and a great view of the water pageant and Wishes! on the verandah.
3. Whispering Canyon Cafe - a lot of bad reviews out there but we loved all the food and the crazy atmosphere! Sat right next to the big fireplace and it was a little quieter so that was nice too.

Top 3 Rides/ Shows I Will Never Do Again!!
1. Dinosaur - I don't know why but this scares the crap out of me! :scared1:
2. Enchanted Tiki Room - what is Disney thinking with this one! I know it's a classic but it's time for something new!
3. Honey I Shrunk the Audience - definitely needs an update.

Top 3 Hotels
1. Port Orleans French Quarter - we've stayed here twice and it's my absolute favorite! Small, quiet, a great lounge, and a fun pool! Plus, you can take the boat to Downtown Disney! Doesn't get better than that!
2. Boardwalk - location is awesome and there's so much to do! The resort itself is beautiful and you get a great view of the lake with the Yacht and Beach Clubs!
3. Grand Floridian - my dream resort. It's just so charming, it makes you want to slow down and relax. Plus, what's better than the monorail heading in to the MK?

Thanks for playing along and let me know what your must do's are!

Sooo, I have to vent a little bit. I'm sick of explaining to everyone that I WANT to go solo!!! Everyone asks about my vacation and I excitedly tell them that I'm going by myself and then they get this look of......pity. :rolleyes1

No one understands that I want to go by myself! if i wanted fellow travelers, I have friends lol, I would have asked them. any advice on how to avoid this without not talking about vacation at all??

Ah.. yes..... the problem of non-Disney people. They just don't understand the lure of being at the World and doing what you want, when you want, without taking anyone else into consideration. They don't understand that you can go to the World by yourself and yet, you really aren't by yourself. You are in a place filled with others who (for the most part) share the same love as you.

Those I don't want to irritate me about going alone, I am not telling until the weekend before I leave. Those who just don't understand my love of Disney, just know that I love Disney and will go any chance I get regards if I am alone or not. I have gotten the pity look a couple of times, but those are from people who have to be with others all the time and have to be entertained.

Ah.. yes..... the problem of non-Disney people. They just don't understand the lure of being at the World and doing what you want, when you want, without taking anyone else into consideration. They don't understand that you can go to the World by yourself and yet, you really aren't by yourself. You are in a place filled with others who (for the most part) share the same love as you.

Those I don't want to irritate me about going alone, I am not telling until the weekend before I leave. Those who just don't understand my love of Disney, just know that I love Disney and will go any chance I get regards if I am alone or not. I have gotten the pity look a couple of times, but those are from people who have to be with others all the time and have to be entertained.

eyor....i'm so glad you've joined my little thread. we think alike, the two of us! haha it's a shame, but it almost makes me feel guilty going alone, like i shouldn't want to have a great time by myself. sadly, i know that I really want to alone bc no one really understands my great love :love: and this is probably the one chance I have to experience it by myself. I won't let them get me down!

sadly, i know that I really want to alone bc no one really understands my great love :love: and this is probably the one chance I have to experience it by myself. I won't let them get me down!

:thumbsup2that's the spirit. I feel little twinges every once in a while (about the kids), but when we go, we do pretty much what the kids want to do. So every time I feel that little guilty feeling start, I'm like "nope this one is all for me. Just once, for me." :goodvibes

I got my first pin today!! Unfortunately I won't be using it for my May trip b/c after fees and stuff charged by Expedia, I won't actually save any money. The upgrade to a deluxe is very tempting but I think I'll stay budget this time in preparation for.....a family trip in December!!!

My mom has really wanted to see all the Christmas stuff for a while, but a December trip never worked out. My with younger brother now graduated from college, we have a little bit more freedom. We also weren't sure if it would work out financially but with this pin, we can stay at a villa or a deluxe with hoppers, dining plan, and airfare for around $1000 a person. Not a bad deal!!! Hopefully you'll see a new countdown banner in my siggie soon! :woohoo:

so I've been looking at the itinerary again....and I'm thinking about throwing it all to the wind and just jumping on the first bus i see! actually, I think I'm going to start with my current plan and then play it by ear according to the crowds and what I'm feeling. oh well...we'll see what happens.

part of my current strategy depends on my future trip. if I know I'm going back this year, I just won't be as stressed out to see everything. right now, my december plans include me, DM, DD, and DB at the Boardwalk Villas with 7day park hoppers, one day at Universal for Harry Potter!, and quick service dining for pretty much the price of staying at a moderate. Very excited!!!!

going in December for the new HP area in Universal is a great idea!

My next trip to the world will be when that is up and running!

so I've been looking at the itinerary again....and I'm thinking about throwing it all to the wind and just jumping on the first bus i see! actually, I think I'm going to start with my current plan and then play it by ear according to the crowds and what I'm feeling. oh well...we'll see what happens.

This is what I plan to do also. I have a schedule, but if the crowds are different from what I am expecting, then I'll just try something else. One of the great things of being alone, you can change at a moments notice and no one cares. :thumbsup2

Just a little venting.....

I've had a really rough week at work and the only thing that is getting me through is Disney in less than 13 days!!!

It's also getting really stressful because I have so much to do before my trip!!! this past weekend, i grabbed my lime green mickey's from home depot!, printed out my character cards for DM's autographs, and submitted to my need for knowing the most up to date wait times and signed up for touring plans so I could download Lines to my phone. :rolleyes1 yes, I've got full-fledged Disney fever!!! lol and the app is making me wish I was there right now because there are no lines!!! all you Disers that are in the World must be having a great week!

I'm off tomorrow and plan to do some pretty heavy duty shopping....I'm still looking for some cute day dresses to wear to the parks....and a great park bag. Might use my DM's free tote with purchase that she got in september, or I might give in to my craving and rent a Gucci tote from this website that I've rented some great bags from.....I <3 shopping!!

anyway, not a great update but I haven't updated in a while so I thought I'd stop by! ps.....eyor have fun on your "work" trip!!! :cheer2:

:dance3::dance3::dance3:

It's almost here!!!! I have been using all my days off to get ready and here's what I have accomplished so far!

1. Packing list - complete, now I just have to pack and hope it all fits into a suitcase :scared1: I was planning on only taking a carry-on but I realized that I am just not a light packer lol

2. Lime Green Mickey Heads - picked up!

3. Autograph cards for DM - printed and organized with clipboard and Sharpies! This is going to be so much fun!

4. Online checkin - not possible. Another reason why I will never book another trip with Expedia!!!

I have also become a crazy person and stalk my Lines app on my phone multiple times a day to determine which parks I should be in on which days :rolleyes: and its just making me more confused. My must do's have definitely changed since my first post, so here's a little update.

Magic Kingdom - Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Mickey's Philharmagic, a Dole Whip, explore Toon Town (might be my last opportunity), Wishes!, and Spectro! I tried to get tickets to the Dessert Party, but it was sold out a month and a half in advance!!! No dessert for this girl!

EPCOT - explore the Flower and Garden Festival, Soarin, Sum of all Thrills, La Cava del Tequila, and Tangierine Cafe!

Animal Kingdom - Expedition Everest, Festival of the Lion King, and taking lots of great pictures while just relaxing and exploring

Hollywood Studios - Tower of Terror (over and over and over), Toy Story Mania, The Great Movie Ride (for the last scene with clips from different movies), Voyage of the Little Mermaid, and the random character meet and greet at Animation Studios!

Other stuff - dinner at Artist Point, explore the Boardwalk and hopefully stop by Big River Brewery and Jelly Rolls, downtown Disney for shopping, crazy corn and margaritas at Paradiso, and pick up dinner togo from Wolfgang Puck Express (if that is possible) to eat back at the room.

My trip will also include lots of picture-taking (wanna take different pictures than I ever have before) and lots of autographs for DM (hope she really likes it)!

Weather looks beautiful (and hot)!!! Been trying to find a fridge swap but every one I try seems to be missing their fridge!! Anyone know of an active one or where I can find the swap threads on the board?

Yay 3 days away!!!!! You must be so excited right now!!!!! Heck, I am excited for you. I want to let you know that I absolutley love all of your plans, it sounds like a fantastic well deserved trip that you will remember forever.

Don't let people get to you about going solo- they're just jealous LOL!!!!!! Like I said before, when I went on my girls trip last year, I wound up at MK solo the last night of my trip. I got to see both Spectro and Wishes solo and it was just breathtaking. You definitely do not feel alone thats for sure!!!!

Have fun and lots of pics!!!!!!!!!!

Yay 3 days away!!!!! You must be so excited right now!!!!! Heck, I am excited for you. I want to let you know that I absolutley love all of your plans, it sounds like a fantastic well deserved trip that you will remember forever.

Don't let people get to you about going solo- they're just jealous LOL!!!!!! Like I said before, when I went on my girls trip last year, I wound up at MK solo the last night of my trip. I got to see both Spectro and Wishes solo and it was just breathtaking. You definitely do not feel alone thats for sure!!!!

Have fun and lots of pics!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!! I am soooo excited!!! And I'm definitely feeling even better about this solo, knowing I will be going back with my fam in December! This is going to be such an amazing experience....plus I am so excited about a break from work! haha i cannot wait to experience spectro and wishe without having to worry about whether or not everyone else is enjoying themselves, or they're tired, or their feet hurt, etc. this one is all about me! :cool1:

:cheer2:I am going to do the "1 day left till Disney Dance" for you
:cool1::dance3::banana:

Have a great trip- and LOTS of pictures!!!!

Just wanted to check in before heading to the airport!!! In less than 7 hours I'll be in the World!!! :cool1::cool1:

Thanks to everyone who has been reading along and I'll try to get my TR started pretty soon after I get back!!!! Oh, and any Disers down there this week, I'll be checking in on my phone so PM me if you wanna meet up! I'll be looking out for some lime green Mickey heads!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter