My First Solo Trip - I can do whatever I want! May 12-15th!

disneyj914

Mouseketeer
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to these boards so let me introduce myself. My name is Jess and I'm a 25 year old restaurant manager from Philly!! I have been to WDW a bunch of times with my fam, but this will be my first solo trip! I thought about the idea for a while, but a combo of a raise and a nice tax return finally inspired me to get away for some me time!

At first, I didn't know if Disney was something I would wanna do alone, but after thinking about it (and reading about it on the DIS), I decided that being able to do whatever I want whenever I want in my favorite place in the world would be the perfect vacation!

I leave in May and for me planning is half the fun. I have been over a million different schedules but I'm pretty sure I've settled on the best plan for me. I've narrowed down my park days, but I'm leaving everything else pretty much up to how I'm feeling when I'm down there. I booked on Expedia so i don't have the dining plan :sad2:, so I wont' really have an ADR's to tie me down. So far, I have booked breakfast at 1900 Park Fare and I'll prob try to book one more sit-down and then do CS for the rest of my meals!

After much struggling, I finally decided to stay at POP Century. The past few visits, my fam and I have stayed at Port Orleans FQ and we really love it, but I decided that for just me, value was the way to go! I've stayed at All-Star Sports in the past and I didn't really like it, so I'm hoping I'll have a better experience at POP. I've been researching it a ton and I'm really excited! :yay:

So I know I've been talking alot but I'm still trying to figure out how to upload pics! Hopefully in my next post I'll be able to post some from my last few trips to the World!

Anyway....I'll leave you with my must do's for the upcoming trip and also some questions!

Must Do's!!!!
1. SpectroMagic and Wishes!!! I love these shows and they are really the only parade/fireworks I'm interested in seeing! Spectro is only running one night while I'm there so that will be my MK evening! I'm also interested in seeing the "Goodnight Kiss" from the castle bc I don't know if I've ever seen it.
2. 1900 Park Fare breakfast and lazy time at the GF and the Poly. I love these two resorts but unfortunately do not have the budget right now to stay there. Luckily, it doesn't cost anything to walk around!
3. Apps and drinks at Paradiso 37. Not a big fave on the DISboards, but I did this with DM last trip and we had a blast. The view across the lake is awesome, you can see fireworks if you time it right, and the Crazy Corn and margaritas are amazing!
4. EPCOT pm EMH in World Showcase! I've only done the countries during the day so I'm excited to see them all lit up at night! Another EPCOT first will be all of the Flower & Garden festivities!
5. And of course, all my fave rides and shows: ToT, EE, Space Mountain (closed last time), Philharmagic, Festival of the Lion King, and TSM!

And questions....
1. I've never been to WDW in May....what should I expect with crowds? Previous visits have been in early March (not during Spring Break), mid April (usually the week after Easter), and mid September and crowds have always been very manageable.
2. If you've ever gone solo, what were you able to do that you wished you could have when you were there with others?
3. I need everyone's fave signature dining experience bc I think this will be my chance to do one!

Thanks in advance for any help! See you real soon! - Jess

on your solo trip!

I was solo for a few days before my Goddaughter arrived for her 25th birthday celebration for New Years' last year. :woohoo:I can honestly say it was some of the best time I've ever spent by myself. If I wanted to hang around and get my pic taken with a character, or shop all afternoon, I did it. :banana: If I wanted to eat popcorn, I ate it! popcorn::If I wanted to ride Pirates 6 times in a row, I did it! At first, I was a little freaked out and lonesome, but the CM's and other people on vacation were so nice to me, I got over it pretty quickly. :thumbsup2 The only thing I wished I'd done with others was ring in the New Year--I was alone, watching the fireworks from my hotel room at the Radisson. It was beautiful, and a little poignant.

My solo Signature meal was at Jiko. I'd always wanted to try it, but couldn't get anyone else to go on past trips. It was wonderful! I would chooise that or Artist Point, if I were going solo again. :yay:Have a wonderful time!!!

Ok, so I think I figured out this picture thing. Here are a few from some past trips!

disney_adventure.jpg

DD, DB, and me happy to be in the Magic Kingdom!

disney_pirates.jpg

Playing like pirates in the World of Disney

That's it for now as I can't find any of my pics on my computer!

My solo Signature meal was at Jiko. I'd always wanted to try it, but couldn't get anyone else to go on past trips. It was wonderful! I would chooise that or Artist Point, if I were going solo again. :yay:Have a wonderful time!!!

Thank you!!! I'm really excited...that's awesome you went with your goddaughter for her 25th! My mom and I celebrated my 25th this past Sept and it was an awesome girls' trip! Thanks for your suggestions on signatures...Jiko sounds awesome and I heard its great to sit at the bar and watch the chefs at work.

So I'm suffering from temporary insomnia so I'm going to update with my probable itinerary....

Wednesday, May 12 - I leave Philly around 7am, with arrival at MCO at a little after 9am. Hopefully I'll be checked in to the hotel and at EPCOT by noon. I hope to hit most of the Future World attractions with as many FP's as possible. After that, I'm heading to AK for PM EMH. After that I might check out AKL or just head straight to Downtown Disney to shop, drink, and hopefully check out Saratoga Springs.

Thursday, May 13 - Hollywood Studios (my fave park) for rope drop, explore Boardwalk, and Yacht and Beach Clubs, early dinner at either Narcoossee's or Artist Point, MK for rides, Spectro, and Wishes!

Friday, May 14 - Back to MK to finish up whatever I missed the night before, breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, explore GF and Poly, then back to AK to hit the trails and safari that prob won't be open for EMH, finally EPCOT for PM EMH hitting all of World Showcase and fave Future World stuff, then to Jelly Rolls

Saturday, May 15 - AM EMH at Hollywood Studios for faves and then downtown Disney if there's time.....Magical Express leaves around 4:30 for the trip back home

ahhh....I'm trying to fit alot into a short amount of time so we'll see how this goes!

Hi Jess!

Your plans sound awesome!!!! I think it is awesome that you are going solo!!!
I have never been there solo, but I'll tell you what I have done. Last June, I went without DH and DS to WDW on a girls trip with two other friends. Well, our last night there, there was EMH's @ MK. The one girl stayed back at the hotel, my other friend and I went to Epcot till about 8pm when she decided she was tired, and I hopped the monorail all by myself to MK!!!!!! Your darn right I did!!! Who in there right mind pays all that money to go on a trip to WDW and not do anything? So I watched Spectro/Wishes solo, the park was PACKED too!!!! Then I went on Winnie the Pooh, and kinda just strolled around MK till about 12am. I was on the phone with DH while waiting in line and strolling around a little, but even by yourself it is such a magical place :wizard:! I got to see great fireworks and a parade and just take everything in. You will have a blast!!!

Hi Janine! Thanks for stopping by! I just checked out a little bit of your pre-trip report! My mom and I went in Sept last year and it was perfect - great weather and no crowds!! Are you guys considering MNNSHP? We did it last year and your little one would probably have a ball! Also, the parade and fireworks are awesome! Have fun with your planning!

Have you been on the Solo Travelers board?? I think you'll find a lot of good support and ideas there! I think a solo trip is a GREAT:cool1:idea! If I did one, I would go to all of the countries of the World Showcase, spend a lot of time in the stores on Mainstreet in the MK, and see all of the shows at every park (my kids never had patience for them...)! Have fun!

Have you been on the Solo Travelers board?? I think you'll find a lot of good support and ideas there! I think a solo trip is a GREAT:cool1:idea! If I did one, I would go to all of the countries of the World Showcase, spend a lot of time in the stores on Mainstreet in the MK, and see all of the shows at every park (my kids never had patience for them...)! Have fun!

Hello! Thanks for stopping by! I've been lurking on the solo boards for a while and it has been a lot of help in my planning! I'm an over-planner so it has kind of inspired me to let loose a little and just go with the flow when I'm down there! and the idea of doing whatever I want is awesome! I'm a restaurant manager so I basically have 70 children that I am a part-time mom to (and many are older than me haha) so it will be nice to have no one to answer to for a while! :goodvibes

:sad2: One of my biggest concerns about my trip was that I was not able to book the dining plan with my package on Expedia. A few months later, I'm actually pretty excited about it because I get to eat what I want! I am almost without a budget bc I'm not a big souvenir girl, so most of my spending money will be free to go towards the food, and of course Disney beverages, of my choice!!! I put together a small list of my current dining plans, but I'm looking for advice about snacks, cs meals, or standout dishes at any restaurants! Not looking for big meals, I just wanna try different things at a bunch of different places!

Must Do's
1. Barbecue flatbread @ Jiko with some great African wine - I'm planning on going later in the evening and trying to get a seat in the bar area. And I wanna follow this up with the famed zebra domes at The Mara.
2. Wolfgang Puck Express - I've heard so many fantastic things about this place on the DIS and I'm really excited to try it for the first time.
3. Crazy Corn and margaritas @ Paradiso 37! I love this place!
4. My one ADR for the trip - breakfast at 1900 Park Fare! No one in the fam is interested so I decided to try this one solo. A little nervous about the solo character interaction though...

Definite Possibilities
1. The shwarma(sp) platter at Tangierine Cafe
2. Anything from Sunshine Seasons
3. Tonga toast from Capt. Cook's
4. A cocktail or two at The Tune-In Lounge

I know you guys will have tons of suggestions so let's hear 'em!

Hi Jess!

I am planning on going to Wolfgang Puck Express this trip too- we have never been there. I think that it is great that you are trying out places solo. I work with a guy that is a BIG disney fanatic, but is a little skeptical about going alone. He's single and all of his friends are married (or getting married), so I have been trying to persuade him to try it solo. Any suggestions?

By the way, your from Philly? That is too funny- I only live about 40 minutes from you- in NJ!!!!!

Anyway, can't wait to hear more of your plans!!!! Have a great night :wizard:!!!

Hi Jess!

I am planning on going to Wolfgang Puck Express this trip too- we have never been there. I think that it is great that you are trying out places solo. I work with a guy that is a BIG disney fanatic, but is a little skeptical about going alone. He's single and all of his friends are married (or getting married), so I have been trying to persuade him to try it solo. Any suggestions?

By the way, your from Philly? That is too funny- I only live about 40 minutes from you- in NJ!!!!!

Anyway, can't wait to hear more of your plans!!!! Have a great night :wizard:!!!

That is funny....where are you in Jersey? I'm originally from NE Pa and came down to Philly for school and decided to stay. As for your friend, I decided to just go for it! I have a pretty flexible work schedule as a restaurant manager, so I'm able to plan to go during non-peak times. Most of my friends are teachers and are only able to vacation during spring and summer breaks and I hate crowds! I'm also planning on doing a little job-searching when I'm down there so it was the perfect time for a solo!

That is funny....where are you in Jersey? I'm originally from NE Pa and came down to Philly for school and decided to stay. As for your friend, I decided to just go for it! I have a pretty flexible work schedule as a restaurant manager, so I'm able to plan to go during non-peak times. Most of my friends are teachers and are only able to vacation during spring and summer breaks and I hate crowds! I'm also planning on doing a little job-searching when I'm down there so it was the perfect time for a solo!

I am about 30 minutes from Atlantic City outside of Hammonton. I can pretty much take off whenever too- except for the first few days of the month, thats when we do our month-end close. I work in accounting-pretty flexible, very boring :laughing:!!!!! My friend, Paul, who is an accountant on my floor, shares my boredom with me and we talk about Disney all the time. I know, I told him to just go for it too :confused3. I told him "your single,your still fairly young, you're not bad looking, you make decent money, and you have no baggage- just go now and enjoy yourself while you can". I don't think he wanted to hear it- so we all hang out sometimes, and we might plan a work trip next year who knows :confused3? As for crowds- I am right there with ya!!!!!!

So I've been thinking alot about my plans, and I decided that I may be hopping a little more than I want to. I love the freedom that comes with it, but I also don't wanna spend half my trip on a bus.....so I've changed my plans for the hundredth time. And they'll prob change again, but here's what I'm thinking for now....

Wednesday - arrive at MCO around 9ish and hopefully check into POP and head to Animal Kingdom by 12. This will be my only day at AK but I only have a few must do's - Expedition Everest and Festival of the Lion King. Other than that, I'm just going to take it slow and do whatever catches my eye. AK has EMH that day, but I'll probably leave around 7ish to head over to DTD to shop and drink!

Thursday - head over to Magic Kingdom for am EMH. I'll leave around 3ish to explore the GF, Poly, and Wilderness Lodge. I also have ADR's for both Narcoossee's and Artist Point - at this point I don't know which one I'll choose or if I'll cancel both and do CS somewhere. After that, I'm heading back to MK to finish up whatever I missed in the morning and catch Spectro and Wishes!!! There are too many must-do's to list but my top priorities are Space Mountain (closed last time), Splash Mountain, Philharmagic, Spectro, and Wishes!

Friday - my Epcot day, I plan to be there for rope drop and use as many fast passes as I can. Around 2, I'll walk over to the Boardwalk and hang out there and the Yacht and Beach Clubs for a few. Then, take the boat to Hollywood Studios for my first ride on Tower of Terror!!! and try to get on Rock and Roller Coaster b/c it will be closed for my HS day. Also, trying to catch Block Party Bash and the characters at the Animation Building, as well as a showing of American Idol. Heading back to Epcot around 7ish, first stop, The Ditch for some margaritas, and staying for evening EMH, hoping to see most of the World Showcase and hit some headliners. If I'm not too tired, I wanna head to Jelly Rolls for some late night fun! Must do's are Sum of All Thrills, Soarin, Tower of Terror, American Idol Experience, Rock n' Roller Coaster, and The Ditch!

Saturday - finally, Hollywood Studios day! Head over for AM EMH to hit Toy Story Mania! Lots of stuff to do today! Must do's are Tower of Terror, Toy Story Mania, and Voyage of the Little Mermaid! I'll prob leave around 2:30 to head back to the resort, do some final exploring and then take the ME back to the airport !

Another recent addition to the must-do list is as many character meet and greets as possible! I've decided the perfect present for my Disney-obsessed DM is an autograph/ character pictures book! I'm really excited about this and I can't wait to see her face!

Awe I love your ideas!!!!!! I think that the autograph book will be an awesome present for your DM!!!!!! Enjoy it- your trip is almost here and it is going to be awesome!!!

I finally got my Magical Express tickets!!! :yay:

Today was also Easter dinner at my parents' house since I'm working tomorrow and I got two Disney guide books, a gift card, and The Princess and the Frog in my Easter basket! I love my parents!!

Hey.

Sounds like a good plan so far for your solo trip.

Saw you're from NEPA, I am originally from there too.

Thanks! I'm getting so close and I'm starting to get a little nervous! What part of NEPA are you from?

From the Dallas area. Just moved down to the DC area after college. What school did you attend in the Philly area?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter