More women on the Dis Unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree

I think it would be appropriate to add a transgender, left handed, disabled, black woman, that don't speak english, and has a nervous tick. Lets not forget mental health issues, something politically correct like post traumatic stress disorder, oh she needs to be a veteran but not too patriotic, she needs to have some self deprecating humor. Lets not forget sexual preference. She should neither be gay nor straight but instead in love with a genderless mannequin with a symbol for a name that no one on the pod cast know how to pronounce.

So...you don't agree?

Im just pointing out that not every group can be represented at the same time. I was attempting to be silly but I think it came off has mean spirited. I hope I did not offend. I do enjoy when Cathey or Teresa are able to be on the show. Kylee would also be an excellent addition to the cast.

High five, your point was completely made.

I agree

I think it would be appropriate to add a transgender, left handed, disabled, black woman, that don't speak english, and has a nervous tick. Lets not forget mental health issues, something politically correct like post traumatic stress disorder, oh she needs to be a veteran but not too patriotic, she needs to have some self deprecating humor. Lets not forget sexual preference. She should neither be gay nor straight but instead in love with a genderless mannequin with a symbol for a name that no one on the pod cast know how to pronounce.
Love it! PC has gone too far and been overplayed.

Quite the opposite. Because I do not feel entitled, I do not notice things like lack of "women" or fill in whatever blank you wish.
So observing how it would be nice to hear other perspectives is "entitled"?:sad2:

The new Dreams Unlimited podcasts have Tracey on with John and Kevin. Really enjoyed these but I think Johns voice is soothing, and I love listening to him lol! The other women are a hoot when they are on (love when Teresa needles Pete-she's the one with the Tastee freeze obsession right?)

The dining shows really could use a voice with the family perspective. Although Charles always practically gives a thesis level analysis of stuff. But I still enjoy them a lot.
I also think it'd be fun to once in awhile get newbies to the parks perspective on things (resorts, attractions, food) as sometimes it seems these guys can be jaded/negative at times

Im just pointing out that not every group can be represented at the same time. I was attempting to be silly but I think it came off has mean spirited. I hope I did not offend. I do enjoy when Cathey or Teresa are able to be on the show. Kylee would also be an excellent addition to the cast.

Yes it came off as mean spirited. I don't think hoping for just a little more representation is a bad thing. We're not going to start picketing or protesting we're literally saying "you know what, it would be nice if..." Obviously we are not asking for a person who possesses all of the attributes you described. It's belittling and makes it appear that wanting more representation is a ridiculous/bad thing. I want to believe in the best in people and don't want to assume you are trolling so I would just say to consider the other side occasionally.

Yes it came off as mean spirited. I don't think hoping for just a little more representation is a bad thing. We're not going to start picketing or protesting we're literally saying "you know what, it would be nice if..." Obviously we are not asking for a person who possesses all of the attributes you described. It's belittling and makes it appear that wanting more representation is a ridiculous/bad thing. I want to believe in the best in people and don't want to assume you are trolling so I would just say to consider the other side occasionally.

I believe that your request for more or equal representation is asking an awful lot from the makers of a free pod cast. Pete has created this show because of his own passion for Disney and I might add paid for it out of his own pocket. We are able to enjoy his pod cast and honestly we are not entitled to anything. If Pete wants to have a cast of gay, white, males on his show he has that right.

It apparent that we disagree on this subject so I will leave it alone. As I consider your side I would ask you to consider the side of those that actually created the show.

I believe that your request for more or equal representation is asking an awful lot from the makers of a free pod cast. Pete has created this show because of his own passion for Disney and I might add paid for it out of his own pocket. We are able to enjoy his pod cast and honestly we are not entitled to anything. If Pete wants to have a cast of gay, white, males on his show he has that right.

It apparent that we disagree on this subject so I will leave it alone. As I consider your side I would ask you to consider the side of those that actually created the show.
Yes, because anything that would place more faces with diverse backgrounds whether it be racial or gender or ability seems to be off-putting to some and so the question is why such a pushback? Why is it so shameful to ask for some more/other perspectives than males, and to be specific, white males?

Which is why I said in my original post that I still love the show and have no plans to not listen to it. I said the cast has great chemistry and that they SHOULDN'T cast just anyone for the sake of being more diverse. Maybe your getting my post confused with some else? Or maybe the confusion lies in the fact that I said its something they should consider. Again, in case it wasn't clear, or TLDR, I do not think they should hire just anyone for the sake of being more diverse. They shouldn't hire someone they don't think is a good fit but it should be something they can think about. They do not need to, and as you said, it is their podcast and they can do whatever they want.

So observing how it would be nice to hear other perspectives is "entitled"?:sad2:

The new Dreams Unlimited podcasts have Tracey on with John and Kevin. Really enjoyed these but I think Johns voice is soothing, and I love listening to him lol! The other women are a hoot when they are on (love when Teresa needles Pete-she's the one with the Tastee freeze obsession right?)

The dining shows really could use a voice with the family perspective. Although Charles always practically gives a thesis level analysis of stuff. But I still enjoy them a lot.
I also think it'd be fun to once in awhile get newbies to the parks perspective on things (resorts, attractions, food) as sometimes it seems these guys can be jaded/negative at times
I'm not trying to speak for the other poster but when they mentioned PC it was automatically countered with "your entitlement is showing". All the poster stated in response was "Quite the opposite. Because I do not feel entitled, I do not notice things like lack of "women" or fill in whatever blank you wish.".

I think if you have an issue with the poster who said "Quite the opposite. Because I do not feel entitled, I do not notice things like lack of "women" or fill in whatever blank you wish.". Then you should have an issue with the poster who brought up entitlement and said ""your entitlement is showing"

I also don't think anything they say is gender or age specific. They start with a fact and give their opinion. Sean talks about what he did in the parks as a kid and how he views stuff now, but he doesn't say "well, as a single man...". He just gives his personal opinion.

I feel that they do something and we choose to listen/watch period. It's not a Disney World official podcast, it's a private business.

Let's not forget the experience of the Disney Mom's Panel. They are parents and they give incorrect information and odd advice, so choosing someone just on their gender or stage of life isn't necessarily perfect anyway.

I think the mix of voices depends on the podcast. For example, I haven't been able to find a Doctor Who podcast I have enjoyed due the lack of diverse opinions among the hosts. But I'll listen to Judge John Hodgman or Stuff You Should even though those are all white dudes. I think the mix of voices and the chemistry of an ensemble show is important.

I also think a diversity in voice and opinion is more important based on the content of the podcast. There's a Christian cultural podcast I love, but when the hosts are all white men, it really suffers from the lack of opinions from a woman's or minority's perspective when it comes to social justice related issues. I want to hear a woman's perspective on how churches are responding to the MeToo Campaign, for example. That diversity might not be as necessary when you are doing a podcast about Walt Disney World unless you are going to get into talking about specific issues. For example, I am not interested in the opinions of a bunch of straight white guys when talking about Gay Days at WDW. So having Pete, Kevin, or John give their opinion is helpful to me. As I am a straight white guy myself, I am getting the opinion of someone with a different life experience than I had. I would like to know, for example, how a black mom feels when their daughter sees Tiana for the first time at the Magic Kingdom.

On top of gender, race, or sexual orientation, other differences can be important. For example, I like the fact that they aren't all Florida natives and aren't Disney lapdogs. But hearing from a former employee of the parks might be interesting when it comes to certain topics.

When I listened to the DisUnplugged podcast, which I haven't in several years, my favorite mix was Pete, John, Kevin, Kathy, and Teresa.

Last edited:
As I am a straight white guy myself, I am getting the opinion of someone with a different life experience than I had. I would like to know, for example, how a black mom feels when their daughter sees Tiana for the first time at the Magic Kingdom.

I wish there was more Tiana, there is a real lack of merchandise for her. I think your points are valid, how would the dining reviews be if you had someone who was raised eating seasoned food? This is why diversity matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter