More women on the Dis Unplugged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diversity and representation are important and getting another perspective is important. Personally, I would love for more woman and also POC to be more involved in the show. But also I think its a great podcast and it's really informative. The lack of diversity isn't enough to make me think of quitting or anything plus as others have said the team has great chemistry. I think its important to consider representation but I also don't think the team should go out of their way trying to hire someone who they don't think is a good fit just to try to be more diverse. That said I do think its something that should be on their radar.

I commented on something similar this back when one of the ladies made a comment about the Confederate flag situation in World Showcase. The lack of racial diversity allows too much room for oversight about certain things. You mean to tell me there isn't a single POC in Florida who couldn't sit at the table that would add in a positive way to that dynamic? I get it most people listen and don't watch but I think its still valid and important to have multiple views.

I commented on something similar this back when one of the ladies made a comment about the Confederate flag situation in World Showcase. The lack of racial diversity allows too much room for oversight about certain things. You mean to tell me there isn't a single POC in Florida who couldn't sit at the table that would add in a positive way to that dynamic? I get it most people listen and don't watch but I think its still valid and important to have multiple views.
I remember that episode and thinking how problematic that was (and that there was a heated thread afterwards). Just wanted to say I agree with you.

I'd love to see more diversity, both in gender and in race/ethnicity/ability. I think the show could really use more of those perspectives: it has definitely been skewing much more young millennial male than it used to be. Back in the day when it was a much smaller core group they were generally able to have Kathy, Teresa, and Julie on in nearly every episode (and maybe they were less busy in their personal lives back then). And honestly, I've always seen them be pretty willing to listen to their fans in terms of what content they're looking for. I'm hoping that now that this has been brought more to the forefront of their attention, that it's something they'll work to improve.

While I'm a woman it doesn't really bother me there aren't more woman on the show regularly. However I do LOVE when Kylie or Katrina show up as they're roughly my age and it's nice to see that. I easily relate to Craig and Ryno (again, roughly my age. TBH I've never been to universal nor do I really have plans to but I watch their Uni show for them) so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me as much to see a younger woman on the show weekly.

I, too, have missed the female voice. I would like to hear more "mom" voice on the dining reviews, too. I'm not sure how to accomplish that, just something to think about. And, I do love the show, but I've found myself thinking about that lately.

Last edited:

I definitely think a woman’s point of view is needed on a more consistent basis on the panel. Although the show has remained informative, not only on walt Disney world but other aspects of the walt Disney company, the panel has skewed mostly male and mostly younger. And even though the guys come from different backgrounds and offer different ideas, the show always seems to focus on one point of view. I also hate to sound like a prude but I would also hope that having a woman on the show would cut back on all the gay innuendo on the show. I don’t mind gay humor, I also don’t mind dirty jokes but it gets uncomfortable when the elder spokesmen of the podcast makes lecherous comments to the younger gentlemen at the table.
I also think that theme bleeds into the dining show as well. I always look forward to hear what people think while dining in Disney restaurants I find the reviews hard to take seriously when a) not everyone eats out like that all the time (appetizer, cocktail, entree, dessert), especially when ordering for a family and b) when one of the younger diners don’t particularly care for their food (as valid as their opinions are) it just comes across as whiny as the whole show has this “the lady’s paying” vibe.

Personally I don't really notice. I guess I am so fond of each person and their quirks that I don't notice when it's a male only show.

However, I do miss the whole dynamic Oliver brought as a foreigner who was 'new'(ish) to Orlando life. I quite enjoyed that whole aspect of someone getting used to american culture and playing catch-up with he parks and dining locations. Maybe they can find a British ex-pat female to fill the gap and make us all happy.

I do wander what age woman would work best with the dynamic of the current show though. I feel like there hasn't been someone full of beans like Ryno on the female side. If they were to add someone female to freshen up the lineup my vote would be for a late 20s or early 30s woman with lots of energy.

Diversity and representation are important and getting another perspective is important. Personally, I would love for more woman and also POC to be more involved in the show. But also I think its a great podcast and it's really informative. The lack of diversity isn't enough to make me think of quitting or anything plus as others have said the team has great chemistry. I think its important to consider representation but I also don't think the team should go out of their way trying to hire someone who they don't think is a good fit just to try to be more diverse. That said I do think its something that should be on their radar.

I couldn't agree with you more. I was going to write the same.

I love the shows and all the personalities (especially Charles, he's a gem!). I view it as a private podcast, that started with a couple of friends talking about Disney, and has fortunately for them grown into a business. They started with a specific vibe and it's within their rights to maintain that vibe and comfort. I enjoy other podcasts, blogs, vlogs, etc. for a point of view so I have no issues with the show or any of the personalities, but I absolutely wish Teresa was on more. She's my hero and my demographic - I love her!!!

I hesitate a little to post this thread, as I love the Dis Unplugged and don't want to be flamed, but I'm sharing publicly, in case anyone else feels this way.

As I said, I love the show - I think the team is great and I never miss an episode of the flagship show. That said, I've been a little disappointed over the last couple years that none of the new regulars on the show have been women. I would love to see the cast add another woman in her 20s/30s whose voice I can relate to (or a woman of any age for that matter). For example, I think Kylie is fantastic when she does vlogs with Ryno and Craig! Could she be a regular contributor on the main Dis Unplugged? I feel like ever since JL left, the new folks (both guests and regulars) have been men nine times out of ten. And it seems like Teresa and Kathy have been on the show less recently, so while the show is still enjoyable, it feels like it's missing something it once had. And while we once had The Trip, the entire Dis YouTube line just seems to be completely male dominated these days.

Watching the show today, my heart just sank a little as we got through all the introductions and there was not a female voice to be heard. Anyway, just one woman's opinion, but thought I'd speak up, in case anyone feels as I do.

All the best.

I think it would be appropriate to add a transgender, left handed, disabled, black woman, that don't speak english, and has a nervous tick. Lets not forget mental health issues, something politically correct like post traumatic stress disorder, oh she needs to be a veteran but not too patriotic, she needs to have some self deprecating humor. Lets not forget sexual preference. She should neither be gay nor straight but instead in love with a genderless mannequin with a symbol for a name that no one on the pod cast know how to pronounce.

I agree

I think it would be appropriate to add a transgender, left handed, disabled, black woman, that don't speak english, and has a nervous tick. Lets not forget mental health issues, something politically correct like post traumatic stress disorder, oh she needs to be a veteran but not too patriotic, she needs to have some self deprecating humor. Lets not forget sexual preference. She should neither be gay nor straight but instead in love with a genderless mannequin with a symbol for a name that no one on the pod cast know how to pronounce.

Was this response necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter