More stores locking up every single item

NightGuardianAngel

Mouseketeer
I was wondering, instead of stores locking up every single item (I can understand locking up guns, jewelry, electronics, and some of the most valuable and expensive and dangerous items), I always wondered why they cannot convert to a catalog showroom just like Service Merchandise and BEST Products had when they were in business?

I was wondering, instead of stores locking up every single item (I can understand locking up guns, jewelry, electronics, and some of the most valuable and expensive and dangerous items), I always wondered why they cannot convert to a catalog showroom just like Service Merchandise and BEST Products had when they were in business?
Well, they sort of offer that type service now indirectly with the online shopping where the personal shoppers take your list, gather the items, and you don't even have to get out of your car as they load it in the trunk. I remember shopping at the Best Products showroom. Not sure that model would work since most folks only bought an item or two at a time, not 40 or 50 items like someone might buy for their weekly grocery shopping.
Around here the items that are locked up really aren't anything like guns or jewelry or electronics. They tend to be items that are basics which are what is getting shoplifted. Laundry soap. Over the counter medicine. Baby formula. It is odd to me, other than the really expensive booze, the alcohol aisle is not locked up at Walmart and Target, but the baby formula is.

Yeah its a total PITA.

Went to Lowes to grab some 12/3 romex wire.

Its all locked up now (a 50 foot role is now $100). Took me 15 minutes just to find someone so I could buy it. Took them another 10 minutes to open it and they had to ring it in immediately even though I had other stuff to get.

How about they just hire some security to deal with this instead of inconveniencing customers, I'm pretty sure it would cost less in then end.

(Oh and ordering online for pickup is fine and all, but there is a 3 hour turnaround so not so convenient either)

It seems that over 50% of the merchandise at my local Walgreens is in locked cases. Cold medicine, toothpaste, deodorant, etc etc etc. Cosmetics are in a separate section that has its own register and needs to be paid for there. There’s also a security guard at the door. I don’t know if they are armed.

I guess we are lucky where we are. We have not seen things locked up at any of our local stores.
I am pretty sure Lowes and Home Depot are locking up the copper wire regardless of location - its nation wide.

I have several Walgreens/CVS near each other. (8 within 3-4 miles of each other) and some have everything locked and others have nothing locked. It’s odd and I’m not sure why some stores do and some don’t. All of them are located in similar areas and none have easy access to the highway that may make it easier to get away. I’ve started shopping in the ones where nothing is locked.

Funny this thread should pop up. My sister and I took a trip to WalMart last week because she wanted to buy boxer briefs for her husband, and all of the men's underwear was in a locked case. Just out of curiosity we checked the women's underwear and it was out in the open. It was a huge hassle even finding an employee to unlock the case for us to get to the underwear so she could buy it.

I very rarely go to Walmart, and I went there yesterday for the first time in probably over a year and I was so shocked at the amount of things locked up. It was crazy. And even cheap things like old dvds had those plastic boxes the staff have to open at checkout. It was insane. I regularly go to Target and they don’t have things locked up like that. It’s a real inconvenience to have to ask for help getting something every five minutes.

Funny this thread should pop up. My sister and I took a trip to WalMart last week because she wanted to buy boxer briefs for her husband, and all of the men's underwear was in a locked case. Just out of curiosity we checked the women's underwear and it was out in the open. It was a huge hassle even finding an employee to unlock the case for us to get to the underwear so she could buy it.
1C1A04B8-1670-4279-99D3-49B1FF051825.jpeg

I’m seeing that more and more around here too. They need to because stores don’t allow employees to stop shoplifters, so people can just walk in the store, take stuff and walk out the door. By the time the police get there, they are gone.

Our local grocery store has 2 sets of doors - the grocery side and drugstore side. Employees there have told me how people will fill up their cart and literally walk out the grocery side where a truck is waiting for them (like a small rental type truck). They open up the back, wheel the cart or carts inside, and leave - well over $200 worth of groceries.

The Dicks has police by the door now, because people would come in and grab racks of clothes and run out the door.

It‘s terrible around here and nobody is allowed to stop these people. It’s so frustrating for everyone.

I don't see many things locked up in my area other than the usual - expensive jewelry, guns, games and some OTC drugs. I live in a college town so you would think shop lifting would be higher but I know there is always one or two security personnel in the larger department stores like WalMart and the larger grocery stores like Publix and Kroger. Those always have undercover security roaming around as well. I only know that because my son has worked in grocery/department store management almost his entire life. Right now he works in a small boutique like grocery store and nothing is locked up. There are no check out people, it's all done self check out although there is one employee to help and they only carry name brand items. They do have a tiny customer service area where things like cold meds are behind the counter. The store is in a building with apartments upstairs and small businesses down. They are catering to the college students and the business people who work in the area and just want to run to the store on the way home for an item or two.

My DS works in retail, and believe me, the employees find it frustrating as well!

It's what @slo said - having them stop shoplifters is just too risky nowadays ☹️😡

I really wish we could rely on people having a conscience.

It's frustrating that the shoplifters inconvenience us all but even more frustrating that the stores just let people walk out with merchandise. I have started ordering most cosmetics, cold meds, and razors online just to avoid the locked cases in most stores. The Walmarts, Targets & other stores near us do not have enough employees to accomodate the customers looking for assistance and don't get me started about self-checkout!

- having them stop shoplifters is just too risky nowadays
This has always been an issue - I can recall employees being fired in the lates 80s for physically stopping shop lifters or locking them in.

The difference now is its gotten totally out of hand they are blatant about it and its accepted by some "authorities".

I was at Walmart 2 weeks ago, just about their entire electronics department is locked up. So is the cosmetics department.

I won't purchase things I need if they are locked up. IT takes forever to find an employee. Sad times.
Not even an issue at our Walmart. They have an employee with a walkie talkie assigned to respond to all the button pushes from people needing items that are locked up. That employee is stationed by the 6 or 7 aisles of locked up items and gets there in seconds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter