Mission Space?

elizatish

Pluto Lover
I was reading a little about MS and wasn't sure how the ride is, does it compare to TOT? Is it high up or have drops? Just curious! Thanks for the information!

Nothing like ToT! You are in a dark enclosed capsule with 3 other passengers. You are sitting as if you are in a rocket. There is a screen in front of you and you are given a mission to help man your rocket. On the screen is a virtual space launch...and space exploring, and emergency landing. As you are watching the screen, your capsule is spinning...there is a lot of pressure (like on a rocket)....if you are one to get sick .... I would stay away from this ride... also...if someone were to get sick while in there with you, there is no way out & it could end up on you....sorry to put it that way..but I can see how it could happen..... I like to go on it with all of the other 3 passengers either my friends or faimly....

It is in fact a centrifuge like they use at NASA you do not see the spinning but that is what is happening, it is to create the intense G forces of a launch and then when it suddenly stops spinning you get the feel of weightlessness.
It can be very hard on the blood pressure, came very close to passing out and felt like I was dying.

I thought it was a great ride. I knew it was a centrifuge and was amazed that I didn't feel any sensation of spinning. I felt the G-forces and they were awesome and added so much realism to the ride.

If you have inner ear problems, vertigo, etc. I cannot say how this ride will effect you. All I know is it was great. I am 56 years old and had absolutely NO reaction at all except for this slight facial tic and incontinence. JUST KIDDING!! Great ride. Well done, Disney!

:teeth:

I was disappointed. I thought the motion simulation was not that great. I much prefer Star Tours. As goofyernmost said, you don't feel yourself spinning at all. The launch sequence, which lasts a few seconds, does put quite a bit of pressure on you. Other that that, the ride is much milder than I expected.

My DD, 8, however, loved it, as did a lot of other kids we saw there. So I think its a great "starter" thrill ride for the kids who aren't quite ready to tackle Rockin' Roller Coaster (though my DD loved that too).

Steve

just curious....for those who have gone....would you take anything for motion sickness before riding?

We're doing this as our first ride of the first day...getting nervous!

I loved it, not scarey at all imo, no drops just feels like you are floating, very very fun, usually I am very claustrophobic( do not do tom sawyer caves) but it didn't bother me at all...the screen is in front of your face kind of like a window and it does not feel stuffy nor confining imo. husband got very very sick even doing everything he was told to do and felt rotten for the rest of the morning( first thing we went on naturally) I have some balance problems but it did not bother me ( upside down coasters do, I walk like I'm drunk for a while after wards!). I do not think of it as a thrill ride like RNR or TOT..totally different sensation but maybe as "scarey" as say pirates or malestrom...pretty tame in other words with a couple of little "surprises"

if you are prone to motion sickness,,better to be safe than sorry and take something before hand, otherwise I doubt you'd have a problem if you ususlly do not ( husband is frequently actually green on glass bottom boats, any spinning rides ect and this was no exception but since he was "sure " he 'd be fine foolishly didn't take precautions!)

Bother me. And I had traveled to florida with only about 3 hours of sleep managed to get into epcot and ride this. BIG MISTAKE!

I too thought I would die, and couldn't wait to get off. The sensation lasted for about 6 hours. Within that time I managed to get a Migraine, so I'm not sure if that was brought on by the ride, or if the Migraine was already coming which made me feel sick during the ride. Needless to say, I will try this again, just to see. But folks they don't put "BARF" bags on this ride for nothing.

princess: princess: princess:

smiles Patty

I have to admit I was scared when I rode this the first time. But seeing that two of my children (DS8 and DD5) came running off with Daddy hollering at me to come ride it with them I couldn't resist. Heck, if they could do it, so could I. The first time I think it was being a little scared that got me thinking the G force was unbearable. But after riding it a 2nd time it was nothing really and I would definitely ride it again. And again.

Originally posted by peagreenid
Bother me. And I had traveled to florida with only about 3 hours of sleep managed to get into epcot and ride this. BIG MISTAKE!

I too thought I would die, and couldn't wait to get off. The sensation lasted for about 6 hours. Within that time I managed to get a Migraine, so I'm not sure if that was brought on by the ride, or if the Migraine was already coming which made me feel sick during the ride. Needless to say, I will try this again, just to see. But folks they don't put "BARF" bags on this ride for nothing.

princess: princess: princess:

smiles Patty

Almost everyone I have read about that had a problem, could have related it to something else but instead implied that the ride caused it. That is the reason why the lines are shorter and people are afraid to try it. I don't know why Disney decided to be so forthcoming with the "magic" this time, probably because of the technology used, but so many have gone into the ride thinking they might have problems and incredibly they did.

I feel that the more you think about it, the more likely it is you will have a problem. If you have defined problems with inner ear, vertigo, etc. then by all means don't go. If not, don't even think about it, just go. If you have slight doubts that you can't shake, then go at the end of the day.

I, myself, am pretty dizzy to begin with and this ride didn't make it any worse.

:crazy: :teeth:

Hi!

It's a little intense the first time you ride it and I had many doubts about going on, as I have a weak stomach. But you can't feel the spinning (in fact-dumb me...I didn't even know we were spinning until a month later when DBF was explaining the ride to someone else...). I was a little shaken up the first time. Then I went on it four more times and was fine. I think a lot of the fear is because they build it up to be much worse than it really is.

I will never be an astronaut. I get sick on Body Wars. I guess from what I am hearing, this ride is not for those of us who are prone to severe motion sickness.

If you experience motion sickness on other rides this one will get you. I felt very ill when I got off. I also found the ride a little clastophobic and I have never had that problem before. Maybe it was because I wanted to vomit and thought the ride would never end. Other than feeling ill I thought the ride was pretty neat.

I don't get motion sickness at all. I did the single riders thing and managed to ride it 6 times in a bit over an hour. By the 6th time I was starting to feel it. I was also playing around a bit, they are right when they say to look straight ahead, you feel it MUCH more if you turn your head sideways!

Heck, ride the teacups more than twice in a row and most will probably have to pack it in for the rest of the day. Compared to that, MS is nothing.

I cannot do the tea cups or I will get sick. (I turned 50 last year) I did MS during the soft opening last August, and I was fine. It actually was a little disappointing after the launch. Just keep your head back, look straight ahead, don't close your eyes, and all will be right with the ride.

if someone were to get sick while in there with you, there is no way out & it could end up on you

OMG! I am terrified of vomit! :eek: They really have barf bags on this ride?! I love any and all thrill rides and I do not suffer from motion sickness, but I would die if someone threw up on me! Has this ever happened to anyone? I was really looking forward to riding this, but now I don't think I want to.

In our party of 6, five of us were big enough to ride. One chickend out because of what she had read here. The Six year old chickend out while in line because of what chicken number one had said. Of the three of us that went on, two of us followed instructions and kept our eyes open, looked straight ahead, and our head back at all times. We both felt that the ride did not deserve the hype. We felt a that it was just Star Tours with G-forces, and not something that we would stand in line for. Oh, if you were wondering, our third rider did not follow instructions and felt sick after closing her eyes durring the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter