• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Military discounted tickets - DVC stay

Mimi151

Earning My Ears
Considering DVC purchase (a resale). So a two part question…

When you book DVC, can you book with NO add ons. Like we’re just going to the hotel and that’s it. We’re going for a few days to get away and maybe hanging out at Disney Springs and escaping the cold? So - can I book my yet-to-be-bought DVC and have no additional charges required when I go there?

Technically, we are retired military and often could get cheaper tix through the military base (or SOG there). The second question is could we get those tickets and link them to a DVC stay? Is that allowed?

Thanks for all insight - I’m trying to get as much info as possible before I take the possible DVC plunge!

When you book DVC, can you book with NO add ons. Like we’re just going to the hotel and that’s it. We’re going for a few days to get away and maybe hanging out at Disney Springs and escaping the cold? So - can I book my yet-to-be-bought DVC and have no additional charges required when I go there?

I believe the state of Hawaii has occupancy taxes (not Disney specific) if you stay at the DVC there. As far as I know, stays at Orlando, Vero & Hilton Head are covered by the maintenance fees.

As an aside, if you're not going to Disney - lots of other timeshare options in Orlando (which are sometimes cheaper to rent than own).

Technically, we are retired military and often could get cheaper tix through the military base (or SOG there). The second question is could we get those tickets and link them to a DVC stay? Is that allowed?
Thank you for your service.

I think this is more about linking the tickets to your account and linking your DVC stay to your account. Your account in the hub.

If you purchase tickets today and can link them to your account (use a magic band, etc), then DVC wouldn't change that.

Most times, we would go to Disney it would be for the parks and with military tix when available, it just saves some money. So not looking for other time shares, but thanks for info. Just making sure I wouldn’t be required to buy some type of “package with tickets” once I’m in DVC booking site. (Also, the thought of escaping winter for a couple days if the cost was just the plane tix or gas is quite appealing, so that was a side thought.)

Hello there,

We are also retired military and DVC is our travel "retirement" plan. We have only been to FL and HHI but there is no other fee involved (besides the annual maintenance fees) for these two states anyway. There may be fees for CA and HI. Other than that, you book your rooms and no other plan or tickets are required.

DH and I usually do resort stays (no park tickets or dining plan) but when we do the parks we fax/email SOG our order form, they call for payment and the tickets arrive by FEDEX. Once received we add them onto MDE. For any non military member reading,SOG verifies you are entitled to the discounted tickets.

The big ticket item involved is currently the flight tickets back and forth but traveling non popular days and times sure does help with that.

I travel with military retirees from time to time. We all live close to Randolph Brooks AFB, so they just go to the base and order the tickets. When the tickets arrive, they send me photos of the ticket numbers and I add them to our MDE accounts. When you get to WDW, you need to stop at guest services to activate the tickets, and at least one military retiree needs their military ID to do so, and (it may have changed) we needed the tickets in hand to match to each person when activated. After that, they are like any other ticket, and attached to your MagicBand.

There are no add-ons with a DVC reservation in Florida, unless you specifically want to add the dining plan. DVC reservations are "room only" reservations.

Last edited:
When you book a stay, using your DVC points, at a DVC resort at Disney World:

You are booking "room only."

Nothing comes with it.

The dining plan is not included with or required by your DVC stay. You can choose to add it on, if Disney is offering it. You would pay extra for that.

Theme park tickets are not included with or required by your DVC stay. You can choose to stay in a DVC resort and not go to a theme park. If you choose to go to a theme park, you would buy the tickets; this is separate from the DVC reservation.

You can choose to go to www.disneyworld.com and buy theme park tickets. If you go have logged into your Disney account during the ticket-buying process, the tickets will automatically be added to your account in My Disney Experience. You will then go into your My Disney Experience account and assign the tickets to people in your account.

You can choose to buy theme park tickets from someone other than Disney. For example, some people buy theme park tickets from www.undercovertourist.com. I haven't done this in a long time. I think each ticket has a number on it; I think you go into your My Disney Experience account and enter the number from the ticket, and then assign the ticket to someone in your account.

I would assume that you could buy theme park tickets from a military base, or from Shades of Green, and add them to your My Disney Experience account the same way that you would if you bought tickets from www.undercovertourist.com. But I'm not military so I haven't done it myself.

Agree with some of the comments above regarding the DVC rooms. A DVC purchase is a timeshare purchase - you just happen to have access to rooms on Disney World property. You're paying for a room, just like you would be if you paid cash for a resort. Nothing else will come with it. If you purchase resale, you'll have the ability to reserve a room at your home resort up to 11 months in advance. You'll be able to reserve a room at the other 'original' DVC resorts at 7 months. You will not be eligible to book at Riviera, Disneyland, or the FW Cabins (unless you would buy a resale contract specifically for one of those newer resorts).

I also have never purchased the military discounted tickets, but it seems they should work the same as regular tickets. When you make a DVC room reservation, you'll go into your MDE account and link that reservation to your account. When you purchase tickets, you'll also link those in your account. All the coordination of room, park tickets, park reservations (if required), dining - is done through the MDE account(s).

Just some advice (my opinion), if you purchase DVC resale, buy at a location you really like (because you might not always be able to get a room at 'another' resort at 7 months), and make sure it has an expiration date long enough to meet your needs. If you're younger, you might not want a BCV or an OKW that expires in 2042. Then again, you might get a lower price there, and 17-18 years might be perfect for your needs! Good luck.

Hello there,

We are also retired military and DVC is our travel "retirement" plan. We have only been to FL and HHI but there is no other fee involved (besides the annual maintenance fees) for these two states anyway. There may be fees for CA and HI. Other than that, you book your rooms and no other plan or tickets are required.

DH and I usually do resort stays (no park tickets or dining plan) but when we do the parks we fax/email SOG our order form, they call for payment and the tickets arrive by FEDEX. Once received we add them onto MDE. For any non military member reading,SOG verifies you are entitled to the discounted tickets.

The big ticket item involved is currently the flight tickets back and forth but traveling non popular days and times sure does help with that.
Perfect. Thanks for the info. I know there’s some fee for Hawaii (which I’d like to do too), but mostly I was concerned about if I’d have to package tix with the room, and you’ve verified that I don’t.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter