MGM Studios vs Universal Studios

Universal all the way!! To me this is probably the best of the lot(even if they did get rid of Kongfrontation!),I thought the Muppets 4D was excellent but Shrek blows it out of the water! I happen to like MGM but there is just so much more at US but if you get the chance to "hop" then TOT & RRRC are well worth the effort. I would guess that the things you haven't done: Terminator,MIB,Twister,Shrek & the Mummy(opens this year some time),there's also IOA to consider,especially if you like coasters.
SD:teeth:

If you have other Disney days and are using park hoppers, you can hop to MGM in the morning and knock out RNR and TOT in an hour and a half. That's all that's worth doing at MGM, except Fantasmic, maybe.

If you have to choose, I would say Universal.

I vote for Universal...and now is a great time to go since they've opened several new attractions. Read today that "Revenge of the Mummy" is opening sporadically for the next few weeks, sort of a test run. So far, it's gotten great revies. I think the formal, official opening is in mid-May.

US or IOA is better than MGM, when compared "one to one".

In my opinion. Dh & I have been to a TON of theme parks, and we both think IOA is the most attrative, well thoughout park of all.

US is more thrill rides where MGM is more "low keyed" rides/shows. JMHO, but I think MGM needs a "boost". We don't spend much more than 1/2 day there.

Well, I'm not a seasoned MGM/US person, in fact this will be me and my DSs first trip!! WOOHOO!!!

BUT,

I've done loads of research...I know, research isn't the same as being there, but from what I've seen from both the MGM boards/US-IOA boards, and travel books, I would have to say US hands down!

That being said, we are going to all of them!! :Pinkbounc :bounce:

I like the rides at US, but think that ToT and RnR are better than any 2 of them (although I really liked MIB as a close third, and and I think that several of the US ones would rank next before any other ones at MGM). One thing that we noticed at US, however, is that we began to tire of the simulator rides at the end of the day.

Also, there's no Fantasmic, or anything close to it at US (unless they've added something in the last 2 years), so there was kind of a letdown at the end of the day.

If I could only go to one, I would probably choose MGM

Universal Studios and MGM are tied in my mind. Now if you are including IOA...IOA wins! It has more of a lively feel to it than the other two parks mentioned. Plus the thrill rides are awesome there. If you don't purchase their fast pass, the lines are horrible and move extremely slow, unlike Disney.

There are so many people stuck in Dizey Wurl ways, you could talk about this till the end of time. But, if you want to look at it in a entertainment value. US/IOA wins hands down. I like the people that reply, that have never been to US/IOA.....lol

I agree. MGM is the best but does need another intense ride!!:earseek:

MGM vs USF

An interesting topic

My attractions of interest:

MGM:

TOT
RNR
Great Movie Ride
Muppetvision 3-D
Star Tours
Indiana Jones
Backlot Tour (Catastrophe Canyon)
One Man's Dream
Stars n Cars Motorcade Parade
Fantasmic

USF:

Shrek 4-D
Jimmy Neutron
Twister
Earthquake
Jaws
Men in Black
Back to the Future
Terminator 2 3-D
Horror Make Up Show (great!)
I Love Lucy
Extreme Ghostbusters
Blues Brothers

If USF had a parade and an evening show they would win hands down IMO - without these features, it is a tossup to me as to which one is better. USF is more educational about the movie process and MGM does a better job of entertaining (parade and evening show)

thanks
jaysue

I'd pick the Disney-MGM Studios hands down. Universal Studios is blah all around in my opinion and Islands of Adventure has a couple of cool things, but I'd be sorry if I missed the Tower of Terror or Rock 'n' Roller Coaster in favor of the uber-lame Dr. Doom's Freefall or the theme-free and neck-jarring Hulk (although Spiderman is really great and I hear good things about Shrek 4D). The Disney-MGM Studios may not be a thrill park like IOA, but it's got its share of very entertaining things to do if you're willing to look beyond just the E-Ticket attractions. And Fanstasmic! is not to be missed if you can help it.

Hope that helps!

No need to mention IOA (awesome park, btw) anymore, she already stated she will spend a day at IOA.

Between Universal an MGM, I have to go for Universal all the way. Larger variety of rides including Revenge of the Mummy, Jaws, and of course, Men in Black! MGM is mainly ToT, RnRC, and a few notable smaller attractions. Definietely Universal.

Despite the fact that I'm a HUGE Disney fan, I feel that there's more to do at US than MGM. That being said, my favorite ride at WDW is Rockin' Rollercoaster, so I'd probably try to squeeze that in at some point during my stay!! :) Overall, though, I do feel that there's more to do at US and if you're looking for a park to spend the day at, I'd probably opt for that.

Happy planning,
Sarah

...so we get our fill of coasters at home. That being said, does IOF or Universal have much to offer besides thrill rides?

We just got back on Monday. Before the trip I'd say AK was our least favourite Disney park. Now I'd say it's MGM. MGM is still a good park, but it has the fewest rides/attractions of all the parks IMHO. MGM does need some new attractions.

IMHO, I'd vote Universal hands down over MGM. As mentioned in earlier responses, they have some new shows.

:earsboy:

I think Universal is great for more thrill rides and I love hanging out at City Walk. More of an adult feel!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter