MGM Studios vs Universal Studios

cannonballer70

Earning My Ears
Okay this has probably been debated before but I am new to boards. I havent been to either one in 10 years but from what I can tell it looks like Universal has a lot more newer stuff then MGM has from when I went 10 years ago. We only have one extra day and we are deciding which one to visit, my friend thinks MGM and I think Universal. So I was wondering what everyone else thought and maybe this will persuade her or I to change or minds. Thanks for the help all!!!

MGM without any doubt. But if it's between IOA and MGM, I choose IOA.

Universal because it has new attractions and is a working studio. But they're both good choices.

With the new Mummy ride opening this spring at Universal, inquiring minds might wander over (not that they would have to like it:p )

I enjoy MGM. It could use a new ride soon though.

I would say Universal.

I think MGM is very badly laid out and could use a couple of new rides/attractions

It really depends on what the needs of your family are. I have 2 small children ages 6 and 3 and we have to go MGM. There are lots of attractions for toddlers at MGM but if you have kids that are older, say tweenies and up, Universal might be more appealing. I haven't been to Island of Adventure yet so I cannot say how that park is. MGM has a lot of different attractions for several age groups where Universal tends to be more for ages 7 and up.

I am going to move this thread over to our "themeparks" board, where i am sure you will get lots of good input....also be sure to visit our "Universal" boards !

thanks for asking this
We're planning on 2 Universal/IOA days this Oct. We were last at MGM Dec 02, before that Oct 01.
Last time in Universal was Oct 96, never been to IOA.

Universal or IOA - IOA is my fave but Universal is wonderful too! At MGM - there's not much beyond RNR and TOT (though I love them both) I cannot tell you how much I loved IOA - Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Hulk , Mythos (the restaurant!) etc...and it was just so much easier to get on a ride - especially if youbuy the express passes...you will feel so much more low-key !!!!!
I can't wait to go back -----

I would say Universal only because I have never been there yet and have been to MGM about 4 times in the past 5 years.
had a great time every year.

If its between MGM or US I would pick MGM. But if its between MGM and IOA thats a tough one, my family loves both parks. But I think IOA has an edge in the thrill ride dept so we would probably lean that direction.

I would have to say Universal unless you have younger children. It is funny you ask this question. This summer is the first time since 1998 that we will not be going to Universal and IOA on our vacation because we got the 7 for 4 deal. My DS who is 12 still gets confused that WDW and USF are two separate "worlds". Just tonight, I was talking with him about our trip and he told me we have to make sure we go at early entry before the lines get long on Men in Black, Mission Space, Test Track, Terminator 3d, Shrek, Spiderman, TOT, Rockin Roller Coaster, BTMRR, Space Mountain, Back to the Future, the Hulk, and Twister. Over half of the attractions he mentioned are part of Universal! He was a good sport when I told him some of the attractions are not at Disney. We'll be plenty busy at WDW that he won't even think twice about the missed attractions.

Let me start this by saying that I am a life long fan of Disney. I have been hooked on the parks since I took my kids in 1983. That being said, if you do a head to head comparison between Disney MGM and Universal Studios, Universal wins hands down, no contest.

It is bigger, more imaginative, has better more technical attractions and many new or newer things. Universals Terminator has to be seen to be appreciated, Shrek 4D is very well done. The old standbys, ET, Back to the future, Men in Black, Twister, Jaws and Earthquake are all very good rides. MGM has three, Tower of Terror, Rockin Rollercoaster, and the Muppet show worthy of spending much time with. Sorry, I know it is just my opinion but Disney let me down in this area.

:duck: :faint:

We're heading back to FL in OCt, and have decided to do Universal instead of Disney (we were then in Feb). My kids, esp my 8yo wanted to do more "thrill rides" like ToT and RnR, so we are headed to USO/IOA for 5 nights.

I am planning on a 1/2 day at MK to do MNSSHP, just to get my Disney fix in for the trip!!

We have no kids just 2 middle aged ladies who enjoy some good theme rides. We are already going to IOA but we werent sure if we have time to fit in Universal Studios or MGM and was trying to figure out which one we should go too. She wants MGM and I want Universal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter