Medicare Wellness Checkup

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
If you are on Medicare do you get a yearly wellness checkup from your doctor? I had one done last year and just had a voice mail from my doctor’s office saying it was time for another. I wasn’t very impressed with the checkup last year and I just think it’s a waste of time to do another. At the one last year the nurse asked me several questions like are you afraid of falling? Do you have to hold onto furniture as you move around in your home? Are you happy? Are you afraid of anyone you live with? Etc. She took my blood pressure, my weight, and the doctor listened to my heart, and had me walk across the room so he could check my gait. There were a few other simple exercises he had me do as well, but really nothing that I felt was worth going to the appointment for.

I am diabetic so I see my doctor 4 times yearly for that, and it is more of a checkup than what the Medicare wellness one was. They take my blood pressure, weigh me, he listens to my heart and lungs, checks my feet, answers any health questions I have, which he said he couldn’t do at the Medicare checkup. He said he could only do the exam the way Medicare tells them to. So I think I’m not going to schedule another wellness checkup, as anything I need can be addressed at my diabetic checkups. I’m due for my next diabetic checkup next month, so I will ask what he thinks about the wellness checkup then. I’m just curious if anyone here gets the Medicare wellness checkups yearly.

i know you're supposed to, and we were supposed to go in Dec. But my husband passed away in Nov. I never cared for the doctor and found a new PCP. I have an appointment with them in April. I kept the old one and just kept changing the appointment, so if I needed one I still had one.

They ask those questions no matter whether I go to the PCP or my cardiologist. Mine didn't check my weight, she didn't make me walk or even stand up. She took BP, asked questions about meds, asked if I had any problems, and I was out of there, 10 minutes total, waste of my time and co pay.

I feel it's totally not necessary, and my cardiologist does more than she does, and he's the one who prescribes all of my meds anyhow.

I know exactly how you feel. I know Medicare pays them fully for the wellness check up, so maybe that's why the PCP insists on it, but as far as I know, Medicare doesn't do anything if you don't go.

If you are on Medicare do you get a yearly wellness checkup from your doctor? I had one done last year and just had a voice mail from my doctor’s office saying it was time for another. I wasn’t very impressed with the checkup last year and I just think it’s a waste of time to do another. At the one last year the nurse asked me several questions like are you afraid of falling? Do you have to hold onto furniture as you move around in your home? Are you happy? Are you afraid of anyone you live with? Etc. She took my blood pressure, my weight, and the doctor listened to my heart, and had me walk across the room so he could check my gait. There were a few other simple exercises he had me do as well, but really nothing that I felt was worth going to the appointment for.

I am diabetic so I see my doctor 4 times yearly for that, and it is more of a checkup than what the Medicare wellness one was. They take my blood pressure, weigh me, he listens to my heart and lungs, checks my feet, answers any health questions I have, which he said he couldn’t do at the Medicare checkup. He said he could only do the exam the way Medicare tells them to. So I think I’m not going to schedule another wellness checkup, as anything I need can be addressed at my diabetic checkups. I’m due for my next diabetic checkup next month, so I will ask what he thinks about the wellness checkup then. I’m just curious if anyone here gets the Medicare wellness checkups yearly.
I get one as part of my insurance through work, as I’m not eligible for Medicare yet. I suppose those questions aren’t totally unnecessary…. A lot of people on Medicare probably begin to develop these type of symptoms and having those answers may help diagnose something early saving money down the road. That’s all I can think of. My primary asks me similar questions during my annual.

I have mine tomorrow. I do see other doctors, seems like twice a month or more, for whatever issues are going on. But he is my primary, I can see him quickly if need be. He does do a full blood workup which is probably the most valuable part of the exam from my perspective.

I have mine tomorrow. I do see other doctors, seems like twice a month or more, for whatever issues are going on. But he is my primary, I can see him quickly if need be. He does do a full blood workup which is probably the most valuable part of the exam from my perspective.
I get yearly blood draws, sometimes more often, because of my diabetes. They did not do any blood work for the Medicare wellness checkup.

I get yearly blood draws, sometimes more often, because of my diabetes. They did not do any blood work for the Medicare wellness checkup.
Oh, I had 4 blood tests that were mandated for my Medicare Wellness check. All were tests that my Nephrologist had just done, but Medicare required they be done again Plus those crazy questions. Yes, I have throw rugs in my house!
It was an hour exam, I have NEVER had an hour long physical before. And remember Medicare does not pay for an annual physical, just a Medicare Wellness check. My wife made the mistake of not specifying her's was a Medicare Wellness check so she had to pay out of pocket for it!
My most serious health issue was the impact blood pressure medicines was having on my kidneys. Yup, trying to improve my health made me sick. But kidneys are back in the normal range now.

Medicare has the list of questions that have to have answers marked down in order to pay the providers for the visit. My wife works in Electronic Health Records and just had to have changes cleared through like 17 steps before they could change it to meet the requirements.
I feel the same way about my annual physical from my insurance. Thanks to the Obamacare legislation, I now get charged for my annual physical because I also ask about my chronic conditions. The only way to not get charged is to not actually bring up anything that is wrong with me.

Medicare has the list of questions that have to have answers marked down in order to pay the providers for the visit. My wife works in Electronic Health Records and just had to have changes cleared through like 17 steps before they could change it to meet the requirements.
I feel the same way about my annual physical from my insurance. Thanks to the Obamacare legislation, I now get charged for my annual physical because I also ask about my chronic conditions. The only way to not get charged is to not actually bring up anything that is wrong with me.
Yes, the Affordable Healthcare Act has it's downside. It was a life saver for people who could not get or could not afford coverage. But many who could, it has made it harder and more expensive to get care.

My mother stopped doing the Medicare wellness check-up.
It was a complete waste of time.
She already sees her PCP for a yearly check-up and blood work.

My most serious health issue was the impact blood pressure medicines was having on my kidneys. Yup, trying to improve my health made me sick. But kidneys are back in the normal range now.
Curious if lisinopril was the culprit. It sent someone I know to the hospital.

My impression is that Medicare is the one who publishes those annual survey questions that doctor's offices are supposed to fill out for their patients over 65. I have NO idea what they do with the information and from what I have heard others talk about, sounds like many of the questions have nothing to do with health/wellness. Seems like a good idea poorly implemented.

Someone told me one of the questions was 'what are your goals for today?'..............like you are now supposed to write a 'business plan' before going to the doctor?.....LOL.......seems like a waste of time to me.

Last edited:
We had our first and last wellness check about 3 years ago. Actually it was my DH went through the dr was so rude and obnoxious I sent her packing.
She came to the house and since it was during Covid she made us feel uncomfortable in our own house. She mostly complained of all the driving she had to do that day. And how behind she was.
My DH actually filed a complaint with the insurance
We go to our regular dr once a yr for a physical. Message must have through cause we’ve never had any more calls.
Actually what is the difference between wellness church and physical

l. I know Medicare pays them fully for the wellness check up, so maybe that's why the PCP insists on it, but as far as I know, Medicare doesn't do anything if you don't go.
This! My mother hates being called to come in for her Medicare Wellness check.
She would tell you that you are exactly right, it's nothing but a money grab by the Dr.'s office.

Thanks to the Obamacare legislation, I now get charged for my annual physical because I also ask about my chronic conditions. The only way to not get charged is to not actually bring up anything that is wrong with me.
Our family has insurance through DH's work, but our Primary told me specifically to "avoid"
bringing anything else up if any of us were only in for the yearly checkup,
which is paid for by the insurance company (no co-pay) once a year.

Our family has insurance through DH's work, but our Primary told me specifically to "avoid"
bringing anything else up if any of us were only in for the yearly checkup,
which is paid for by the insurance company (no co-pay) once a year.
But then I have to make another appointment to have my PCP look over and adjust my medications. My PCP office has gotten used to hearing me tell them it's none of their business to many of the questions they have to ask in order to get paid for the visit.

from what I have heard others talk about, sounds like many of the questions have nothing to do with health/wellness. Seems like a good idea poorly implemented.

Someone told me one of the questions was 'what are your goals for today?
Actually... the questions DO lead to health and wellness. Having a goal for the day may be as simple as "I came to this appointment. I'll be reading my book this afternoon. I'm looking forward to my favorite dinner tonight." Such a question is checking that 1) the individual has the thought process to plan out their day and 2) that they have something "interesting" to occupy their time -- interesting to the patient might be as simple as reading a book, watching a favorite TV show, puttering in the garden, having lunch with a grandchild, etc. Once the patient moves beyond the ability to easily answer such a question, that is the time the question (and it's lack of answer) becomes really important.

I'm on Medicare and I don't even know what this "Wellness check" is. I did have a more complete physical, with questions and answers, the first year I was on Medicare. Then, last year I remember she had me draw a clock with a specific time, then told me 3 words which I had to recite back to her a few minutes later. But a plan for the day? OMG, maybe I should study for my next appointment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter