Marathon Weekend 2025

Question about massages post race….

The WDW marathon will be my first ever full marathon (probably have run 10 half’s) and I was considering booking a massage to help my body recover on race day, in addition to some hot tub resort time. Does anyone have any experience with getting a massage the same day as a marathon? It’s hard to imagine how I’ll feel that day but in general I really enjoy massages. Planning to avoid the parks the day before the race and on race day, but will back in the park all day Monday.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions!
Before Covid, many races, including at WDW, would have a tent with the local massage school students and I'd have a couple of 20's in my pocket for post-race massage. And it always felt GREAT to get my feet and legs massaged. After my first marathon, I was surprised at how sore my shoulders were and had them rubbed down as well. Turns out I needed to be shaking my arms out more during the race; lesson learned and that hasn't been a problem since.
After getting back to the resort, I would sit in a tub of hot water and soak, or stand a while in the shower in the case of PoP Century. Then go and visit a park or walk around to keep things loosened up. YMMV.

Praying that my fellow Georgians and Floridians weathered the storm last night. It was/is ugly. No trees down in our yard and power is on, so we came through OK, but watching the local news is a sobering view of the trees down and flooding in the Atlanta metro area, and just unbelievable south of us and down in Florida.

I went down a self-admittedly silly rabbit hole regarding going on rides during the marathon and I cannot find anywhere on the rD website or even in the Wine and Dine Event Guide where it prohibits leaving the race course. Can anyone show me where rD states that you are not allowed to go offcourse?

Meanwhile, I am the guy packing a trash bag and basically emptying out one of the ice machines in Pago Pago. 😬 😂
That is a BRILLIANT idea! The extent of my thinking was to soak my feet in the pool after the HM when I did the Goofy Challenge.

I went down a self-admittedly silly rabbit hole regarding going on rides during the marathon and I cannot find anywhere on the rD website or even in the Wine and Dine Event Guide where it prohibits leaving the race course. Can anyone show me where rD states that you are not allowed to go offcourse?
I don't think it says that anywhere. Went looking where it might make sense to have a guideline for that (Safety Reminders, for example) and didn't see anything. Kind of funny that the costume guidelines are longer than anything else now.

MK rides are only open once in a blue moon. And I’ve only ever heard of the teacups running. So I doubt Tron will be.

During MW 2023, I believe the carousel was also running (maybe during the half?)

I am mean honestly disney should just set up food and drink carts through out the whole race... they would make soo much money. I would be waving my magic band at all the snack and drink options.

I've actually been trying to figure out where is the quickest/easiest place to get a bottle of Coke during the marathon (I'm thinking AK?). On a recommendation, I recently tried Coke in the later stages of my really long runs and it works wonders for me. A quick shot of sugar and caffeine in liquid form (I struggle chewing things after 15ish miles) is a beautiful thing. Having food and drink carts would open up a wider range of fueling options.

I've actually been trying to figure out where is the quickest/easiest place to get a bottle of Coke during the marathon (I'm thinking AK?). On a recommendation, I recently tried Coke in the later stages of my really long runs and it works wonders for me. A quick shot of sugar and caffeine in liquid form (I struggle chewing things after 15ish miles) is a beautiful thing. Having food and drink carts would open up a wider range of fueling options.
Not sure about Coke bottles but AK will definitely have stuff, I grabbed a flavored iced tea from a booth there two years ago for the same reason. Think it was from here. I believe beer is also available early in AK for those who prefer a different type of fueling.

Ok since we are in the topic of early wakeups, what is everyone’s routine like? When I get up at home I don’t just get up and go out the door. I also take time to eat and take my meds. Does the 2am wake up affect anyone else’s routine? If you take meds in the morning, do you take them when you get up or when you’re back from the races? I’m such a creature of habit that I would be afraid to not do what I’m used to. The earliest I’ve been up for races is 4 and I’ve treated it the same as my normal 5:30-6:30 wake up.

I have EVERYTHING laid out or packed the night before. Anything that needs to be kept cool is in a certain spot in the fridge and everything that needs to go with me (we have a car) is in a reusable tote bag by the door (pro-tip - for multiple race day events, I leave my race bib in the car so there is no chance of forgetting it). I go to the bathroom (sometimes multiple times), then get dressed and leave. I take my food with me and eat it in the car.

I also have a medication that I need to give 30 minutes before I eat, but honestly, on runDisney weekends, I skip it. It isn't a life or death need and it is a medication with a half-life of almost a week. One of the side effects is potential digestive issues so I just don't want to chance it.

Anybody travel with someone that *doesn't* run? My poor DH may just decide to sleep in a different room Saturday night.

I'm proud to say that, the first time I traveled with someone who didn't run, I was able to get out of the room both mornings without waking her up. Admittedly, I was awake before the alarm both days and we had a studio type suite which probably helped a bit.

I used the bathroom to get dressed (looking back, I should have actually pre-positioned all of my clothes in the bathroom) and had everything else ready to grab and go.

During MW 2023, I believe the carousel was also running (maybe during the half?)

A lot depends on what time you get to AK. If you get there after 8:00, there should be the food cart stands where you can grab a Coke. Otherwise, I think that you’ll have to wait until you get to HS and get one at one of the stands along Sunset Boulevard.

I'm almost positive there are Coke machines near the entrance at AK. Pretty sure there are some at BB as well. I know there are as you exit DHS toward the path to Boardwalk, though that's quite a bit later in the race. My DH will be at Bay Lake around mile 11 leaving MK and I may have him do same for me there.

Praying that my fellow Georgians and Floridians weathered the storm last night. It was/is ugly. No trees down in our yard and power is on, so we came through OK, but watching the local news is a sobering view of the trees down and flooding in the Atlanta metro area, and just unbelievable south of us and down in Florida.
Thank you, and I’m glad you got through it!

I’m a few miles inland from the Tampa Bay coast and it’s… ugly here. My home and immediate neighborhood are fine: we’ve got some big branches and a couple trees down, but they didn’t land on cars, buildings, or people. Power was on and off for seconds at a time - just long enough to reset internet and cable constantly. But basically was on throughout, which has never happened in a storm before.

Our beaches are in real bad shape and remain closed to everyone, including residents. The storm surge was record-breaking and the damage is massive. 3/4 major bridges are only partially open at this time. 200K+ in my county still without power. Water and sewage plants are down in St. Petersburg.

And it’s all nothing compared to what happened north of us. And still happening in the Carolinas and Georgia. Apparently the Lake Lure dam is about to fail - I can’t even fathom the fallout from that.

Sorry for the departure! More on topic, running conditions are still garbage: it’s a million degrees outside, sunny and humid. Oh, and we have another possible storm brewing in the Gulf.

I was talking to a fellow local runner the other day and he suggested trying a Coke on the last part of the marathon. I think I may try to also snag one somewhere in that DHS area. I know that usually when we get to the walkway from DHS to the Boardwalk, that is where I really start to feel the crash and am dragging my body along.

I'm almost positive there are Coke machines near the entrance at AK. Pretty sure there are some at BB as well.
I completely forgot about the Coke machines. If you don't pass by one in AK, you can definitely go just slightly offcourse to one of the bus stops at BB and grab a Coke and a smile there.

I was talking to a fellow local runner the other day and he suggested trying a Coke on the last part of the marathon. I think I may try to also snag one somewhere in that DHS area. I know that usually when we get to the walkway from DHS to the Boardwalk, that is where I really start to feel the crash and am dragging my body along.
I can see the benefit of the sugar intake and caffeine for a boost of energy, but I think that the carbonation would bother me at that point of a race. I hope that it works for you though! Just remember...nothing new on race day.

While we're on the topic of fuel, does anyone remember what they've had at the tent as far as breakfast items? Thinking way ahead, for Springtime Surprise last year I went with the runner's box combo of plain bagel+banana, which was fine, but... blah. Wondering if there might be something better in the starting area.

I can see the benefit of the sugar intake and caffeine for a boost of energy, but I think that the carbonation would bother me at that point of a race. I hope that it works for you though! Just remember...nothing new on race day.
Yeah, I think a pre-flattened coke would be just the thing

Thanks for all of the suggestions on where to find a Coke. Does anyone happen to know how much they are in the machines and if they take credit cards or just cash?

I can see the benefit of the sugar intake and caffeine for a boost of energy, but I think that the carbonation would bother me at that point of a race.

I only take little sips of almost everything that I drink during races so I can say that the carbonation doesn't really bother me, but of course, your mileage may vary.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest