Marathon Weekend 2024

Oooof! I am sorry for brining up 2017 a few times recently… I was asleep and my wife noticed a message on the phone in our room and shared it with me. Got on the trusty DISBoards to learn the disappointing news. My daughter and I will still run the 7.2 and then I at least will attempt the final 6 if weather permits when we get back to the hotel. Bad news, I did a shake out run here the other day and it took a lot of loops to get to 3 miles. 6 miles is going to be maddening!

Last edited:
So sorry for everyone whose race is messed up tomorrow. I did the “Grumpy Challenge” when they cancelled the half and I vividly remember how much that news suuuuuuucked. I was pretty upset as a first time Dopey runner. Sending good vibes for the miles you will get and any way you make up the others.

A bunch of us ran the half around Hourglass lake at Pop/AoA, with people cheering, and creating random water stations. It became one of my favorite Disney memories. Hoping some of that magic happens for you all tomorrow too!

I’m sorry, this is really dumb. Just cancel and give refunds. The shortened course is ridiculous. And to all of you doing the extra 6 miles, c’mon. I took it easy today and walked well over 13.1 miles doing the 10K and then going to Epcot for dinner. Does that mean I completed a half marathon? What’s the point of “completing the race” later? That’s not a race. I’m sorry doing the extra 6 in the parking lot is just as ridiculous as shortening the race.
i get the feeling ... i cant completely disagree with you, because it's valid. Though i imagine the people coming for the half have it hardest because they made the trip all the way here and now their only race is cut in half...i wish people did get some option to decide but it would be a bit of a logistal nightmare. it.was crazy enough in 2017 when they cancelled and did refunds and transfers to the full.

I think an early start time, with an accelerated release of the corrals, and sweeping people who can’t keep the official 16 min/mile pace could have cleared the course before the rain. But I hit the parks a little too hard today, and I’m secretly relieved that I get to run MW 10k 2: Electric Boogaloo.
I know that reference. Horrible movie…

Ok. Im going to try and go to sleep now. I’m going to make a point tomorrow morning to get over my social anxiety (I chickened out this morning 🙈) and join the pre race meetup, even if just for a few minutes before heading to the corrals.
im a loser with depression right now , i probably have anxiety in general but this group is easy to join and be comfortable with relatively quickly, so you will not have any issues...worst thing we do is stand in a circle and stare each other down until someone tells a joke or we talk about the weather....ooof, that's gonna be the topic tomorrow for sure.

edit: :) happy face cause i dont want to be a downer. we all have challenges

Last edited:

Bummed like everyone else. This is my first and possibly only Dopey and I trained hard to get ready. I will try to find a way to make up the lost mileage because Dopey is 48.6 and I want to run them all, but it kinda doesn't feel the same, ya know?

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they did it even if it ends up being too conservative in hindsight. There are a lot of people involved in these races besides us runners and runDisney is responsible for their safety too. If they pushed it and someone got hurt that could potentially put future events in jeopardy. So, I can't fault them for erring on the side of caution. But these first two days were a lot of fun for me and this has taken some of the wind out of the sails. I get it, but it still sucks.

I have been following Mike’s Weather Page and it’s an ugly line of storms heading our way. My apps have also been showing morning lightning all day.

It sucks, but I really think they made a good call with the potential severity of the storms moving in. I am sure they consulted all their legal counsel and insurance companies to cover their butts.

This is the radar showing 7am.

1704505029949.jpeg

I’m going to try to print a castle pic for a photo opp tomorrow for runners by Pop. It’s totally the same, right?

Seriously though, I feel for everybody going through allll the emotions. As someone who wasn’t signed up for the half I won’t chime in about it, but whatever you are feeling now is totally valid, and so is whatever you decide to make of it tomorrow or next year.

Sorry for my harsh comment earlier but this is the worst of both worlds. Weather happens. Just cancel the race and give refunds (or don’t, I don’t really care about the $$). Let people run the full on Sunday and get swept for those who want to run 13.1.

Or another idea, give people the option tomorrow. Just have a cutoff point and if you don’t make it to the cutoff point, you turn back and do the 7.2 but if you can reach the cutoff point by a certain time, let them go. It has the exact same effect/impact. People can decide to stop for characters or make the 13.1.

Sorry for my harsh comment but this is the worst of both worlds. Weather happens. Just cancel the race and give refunds (or don’t, I don’t really care about the $$). Let people run the full on Sunday and get swept for those who want to run 13.1.

Or another idea, give people the option tomorrow. Just have a cutoff point and if you don’t make it to the cutoff point, you turn back and do the 7.2 but if you can reach the cutoff point by a certain time, let them go. It has the exact same effect/impact. People can decide to stop for characters or make the 13.1.
I disagree.

For me, I rather have some race then no race. Something is better then nothing in my opinion. It’s not ideal this sucks and I get it but like I said at least some miles were run.

Another thought, if a runner was in corral A and starts in the first wave and runs say…an 8 minute mile, would he/she be able to finish the 7.2 before the last wave starts and run the course twice?
they may speed up the waves tomorrow ...generally i would say yes, since the balloon ladies would usually start an hour later,but i suspect they will be leaving earlier than normal

I hate this, I get it but I don’t like it. I feel like they wanted to offer something to the half-only runners, which is the only reason they didn’t cancel. There’s no reason for challenge runners to run a 7 mile race. Now a lot of people will put themselves in danger running 6 miles post race when conditions are worse. Plus I personally don’t consider two short runs equal to a longer run for a race. I’d rather just run the 13 on my own tomorrow at 4AM or 5AM at the resorts since I’m not taking any sort of 13.1 medal without running 13.1 miles. But if they cancelled altogether that'd obviously be a major disappointment to half-only runners so this feels like a weak compromise. I feel terrible for those runners, this course is worse than the 10k and costs more. I don’t know if I have faith in the photo ops since they don’t do regular non-character photos outside the parks other than like the Boardwalk. Maybe they’ll change that and put them on the roads? Idk? But those would be some ugly pictures, ha!

Sounds like they aren’t pushing for a faster start based on the coral closure times not changing? So congestion maybe won’t be an issue. Just a bummer all around, I have no idea how I’ll get my extra miles in if they don’t let us do loops around the parking lot which I feel like they won’t.
I am hoping for the loops around the parking lot option, even if I just have to walk them. This was going to be my first and only Goofy.

Bummed like everyone else. This is my first and possibly only Dopey and I trained hard to get ready. I will try to find a way to make up the lost mileage because Dopey is 48.6 and I want to run them all, but it kinda doesn't feel the same, ya know?

Don't get me wrong, I understand why they did it even if it ends up being too conservative in hindsight. There are a lot of people involved in these races besides us runners and runDisney is responsible for their safety too. If they pushed it and someone got hurt that could potentially put future events in jeopardy. So, I can't fault them for erring on the side of caution. But these first two days were a lot of fun for me and this has taken some of the wind out of the sails. I get it, but it still sucks.
I know how you feel as 2017 with the cancelled half was my first and only Goofy (if you dont count Dopeys). A lot of us ended up running our miles anyway and it ended up being a great experience with people cheering on, handing out water bottles, etc. It’s one of my best running memories. I absolutely still consider that I did the Goofy. Hopefully you’ll be able to look back on this a similar way. Try not to let it diminish what is a great accomplishment!

Because I’m doing the C2C I am definitely going to get my 13.1 anyway I can and I intend not to let this make me feel like I did any less.

To everyone doing the half tomorrow, try to enjoy as much as possible and do what feels right to you. Whether that’s running extra miles or not. Hope to make it to the meetup.

now let’s see if I can sleep

So sorry for everyone whose race is messed up tomorrow. I did the “Grumpy Challenge” when they cancelled the half and I vividly remember how much that news suuuuuuucked. I was pretty upset as a first time Dopey runner. Sending good vibes for the miles you will get and any way you make up the others.

A bunch of us ran the half around Hourglass lake at Pop/AoA, with people cheering, and creating random water stations. It became one of my favorite Disney memories. Hoping some of that magic happens for you all tomorrow too!
I was here for the full in 2017 and was at Disney Springs when the news broke about the half. We ended up handing out some water bottles and cheering on runners at All-Stars.

can anyone post the original half map?....i know they cut MK but i want to stare at it and spin myself up some more. i clearly have better ideas then some experts with degrees in that field ...damn it, i am a rocket scientist. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5154.png
    IMG_5154.png
    485.2 KB · Views: 30
That's the world's most unfortunate misspelling of "consolation", but thank you for the sentiment! 😀
Whoops! I normally doublecheck before hitting post but that completely slipped my radar. 😅
i get the feeling ... i cant completely disagree with you, because it's valid. Though i imagine the people coming for the half have it hardest because they made the trip all the way here and now their only race is cut in half...i wish people did get some option to decide but it would be a bit of a logistal nightmare. it.was crazy enough in 2017 when they cancelled and did refunds and transfers to the full.
Yeah I remember hearing about the lines for refunds in 2017. I thankfully didn’t have much that was half exclusive and decided I couldn’t be bothered to deal with returning the Dopey stuff even if it was technically no longer a Dopey

Not saying the logistics last time should be good reason to only cancel half but it is what it is.

(I wasn’t part of the group running the half. Decided I would rather have the extra sleep)

I think it’s partly at least them not wanting to risk safety at all by having certain people who are more likely to be lightning rods if they are still on the course

(Wheelchairs are basically rolling lightning rods. And while the fastest would have cleared before the storms. Some of us aren’t fast enough to clear it by when they want everyone off. Duos and likewise.)

Another thought, if a runner was in corral A and starts in the first wave and runs say…an 8 minute mile, would he/she be able to finish the 7.2 before the last wave starts and run the course twice?
Yeah but that’s not exactly unique to the shortened half. Fastest of the 5k and 10k consistently clear the course before the last course releases. Admittedly this is an unusual issue for the half. But back in my ambulatory days I would sometimes pass the bus pickup on the way into the course and already see people waiting for transport to resume.

they may speed up the waves tomorrow ...generally i would say yes, since the balloon ladies would usually start an hour later,but i suspect they will be leaving earlier than normal
Just wanted to add quickly because idk if you saw or will see this before the start. But hey I tried at least. They did say the start was moved up 15 minutes to 4:45
Was looking up the news the last time something similar happened and apparently they sent out the notice at 7:15 pm, I guess they have somewhat of a deadline to make this sort of decision.
Whoops on the timing. I just remembered making a dinner choice around that time but I was obviously off. And yeah I’m pretty sure the half cancel last time was related to how early they have to have volunteers out. Because that storm hit hard at midnight. (I took advantage of the cancellation to get park time in and came back right as it was hitting)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter