Marathon Weekend 2024

The last thing I want to be doing at 3am the morning of a race is driving around an unfamiliar area, especially one with road closures complicating matters.

Just something to note here - in my experience, Google maps has the road closures built in and does adjust for them. The one time that I got "lost" (to be honest, I just wound up taking a tour of the Epcot resorts), it was when I followed the temporary Disney direction signs instead of Google.

I’m another vote to keep Drury. Disney Springs hotels to Epcot is so easy.

Hotel Plaza Blvd - straight onto Buena Vista - a right onto World Drive - exit on the right for Epcot.

I think people forget there are thousands of Floridians that drive from their houses for these races. And you’d be surprised at just how many aren’t regular park visitors and do not really know the roads in the area.

I stay on site even though I live 45-50 minutes away and 99% of the time I drive my own car to the races. Yes, I do complain about the long walk back to the car, but at least it’s my own stinky sweat I’m dealing with inside the vehicle. The cloth seats on the bus gross me out. They are just sweat absorbing sponges 🤢

I think people forget there are thousands of Floridians that drive from their houses for these races. And you’d be surprised at just how many aren’t regular park visitors and do not really know the roads in the area.
To be clear, I'm not saying it's difficult or unmanageable. I know a lot of people here swear by driving themselves. I'm saying that I find driving in unfamIliar areas stressful and taking the bus eliminates that stressor from race morning, for me. If someone is comfortable driving in unfamiliar locations or doesn't like the bus, by all means drive, but if someone is at all like me, the buses may be the better option.

Hi folks! I generally lurk here, but I need the collective wisdom! I've been kicking a decision down the road over and over again. Clearly no one else can decide for me, but I'm wondering if I missed anything.

Past race weekends, I've stayed onsite and relied on Disney transportation. Usually just a 2 or 3 night stay. Now I'm running Dopey for my first and surely only time plus two fun days after. So a much longer stay with my best friend. This time, I've booked two options and it's time to cancel one. We will have a rental car. Pricing is probably about the same.

Option 1: I booked the new Drury Inn in Disney Springs with a great deal almost a year ago. I have two rooms, a view of Epcot (firework view), a balcony, and in room minifridge and microwave. Seems so much easier for two adults who might need a little space when staying together for a whole week. The free breakfast and kickback are minor considerations. The access to Disney Spring is appealing because we don't plan to do park time Jan 3-6. We'll see a movie, take naps, and rest our legs. We will have to drive ourselves to the races. Now that the maps are out, I think that we're okay to do that?

Option 2: Port Orleans Riverside: Our old standby and favorite. Can drive, but don't have to. Can use our car to get offsite and still save a little $$ by hitting grocery stores, etc, but no in-room meal prep capability beyond storing yogurt in the fridge.

Option 3 (the complicated one) do a split stay and stay offsite when everything is really crowded and we're not doing parks anyway, then move to POR after the 10K. Never done a split stay, but it's not like that afternoon is super busy...

Anything I'm missing?
Grateful for insights!
I’ve stayed at the Hilton near Disney springs for multiple race weekends and have had no issues driving to the start! I love the ability to walk to Disney springs after the races and not rely on the buses for the races. Last Marathon Weekend I stayed at the Signia and took the bus for the first time ever and it got lost and we drove around for close to 40 mins. Never again. I like to do the pre race photos and have time to get coffee at the joffreys stand so I usually leave the hotel by 2:40. Gets me to the parking lot and waiting for security to open at 3am. It’s early but worth it to not have the stress of traffic, road closures, etc.

I still don't understand why the Expo is in 3 different buildings: 1 for the rD merch, 1 for bibs, and 1 for shirts / vendors. I wouldn't mind moving bibs and shirts to one building, but the vendors might get mad at that 😁
Yep, you answered your own question. It's to force traffic flow the way they want it to go, and split up the masses wanting rD official merch.

Regarding driving, I've done it from both offsite and on and it's super easy. Lots of others doing the same and good temporary signage, plus Google maps. Last year for Dopey I drove to the 5K and 10K from Bay Lake and rode the monorail for the half and full. Easy peasy!

I'm team car. Leave the Boardwalk around 3:45, have plenty of time to get there, no stress over traffic, park, nap, then make my way over.

That said, my mother does meet me at the finish line for a beer, and I let her drive back, but I LOVE having a car. I've taken the bus twice, and one of those times was when all of the busses were delayed/ lost and people were evacuating and running to the start line.

I LOVE having a car for races. My formula for when to leave is to take the normal amount of time it would take to get to Epcot, double that and then pad it a little bit. Look in the race guide for when Disney wants you in the parking lots and do the math. The best part about the car is if you get there early (which you will), you can recline the seats and close your eyes for a little bit (just set a couple of alarms on your phone just in case).
This! For the 5k and 10k, I usually start my drive over at 2:45am. For the half and full, I leave at 2:30am. Then I get to the parking lot, set an alarm, and take a nap. If it's cold, I try to stay in the car longer. If it's nice, I will usually head over to the start sooner to look around.

Now that there is not the long walk to the start this year for the half and full, may hang out a little longer in the car.

I’m another vote to keep Drury. Disney Springs hotels to Epcot is so easy.

Hotel Plaza Blvd - straight onto Buena Vista - a right onto World Drive - exit on the right for Epcot.

I stay on site even though I live 45-50 minutes away and 99% of the time I drive my own car to the races. Yes, I do complain about the long walk back to the car, but at least it’s my own stinky sweat I’m dealing with inside the vehicle. The cloth seats on the bus gross me out. They are just sweat absorbing sponges 🤢
I hadn't even thought about that.
UNTIL NOW!
Gads. Hopefully I forget by Sat morning. OTOH, post-race, any existing sweat had better be worried about my sweat.....

Hi folks! I generally lurk here, but I need the collective wisdom! I've been kicking a decision down the road over and over again. Clearly no one else can decide for me, but I'm wondering if I missed anything.

Past race weekends, I've stayed onsite and relied on Disney transportation. Usually just a 2 or 3 night stay. Now I'm running Dopey for my first and surely only time plus two fun days after. So a much longer stay with my best friend. This time, I've booked two options and it's time to cancel one. We will have a rental car. Pricing is probably about the same.

Option 1: I booked the new Drury Inn in Disney Springs with a great deal almost a year ago. I have two rooms, a view of Epcot (firework view), a balcony, and in room minifridge and microwave. Seems so much easier for two adults who might need a little space when staying together for a whole week. The free breakfast and kickback are minor considerations. The access to Disney Spring is appealing because we don't plan to do park time Jan 3-6. We'll see a movie, take naps, and rest our legs. We will have to drive ourselves to the races. Now that the maps are out, I think that we're okay to do that?

Option 2: Port Orleans Riverside: Our old standby and favorite. Can drive, but don't have to. Can use our car to get offsite and still save a little $$ by hitting grocery stores, etc, but no in-room meal prep capability beyond storing yogurt in the fridge.

Option 3 (the complicated one) do a split stay and stay offsite when everything is really crowded and we're not doing parks anyway, then move to POR after the 10K. Never done a split stay, but it's not like that afternoon is super busy...

Anything I'm missing?
Grateful for insights!
Option 2. I like letting Disney shuttle me around

Anyone have family last year go to the finish line from Coronado Springs Resort last year on marathon day? If so, how long did it take them to get there? My family is trying to figure out what time to leave so that they can watch me finish.

So a bit disappointed. My DD was supposed to do HM with me which would have been her first. However, training has been rough for her this year and we did a shakeout run today and both concluded, she's just not ready and it's not worth the potential injury. On plus side, she will still come down and hang with Dad and cheer for me. After a good training cycle, the old injury bug has also bitten me after my HM right before Thanksgiving.

So having to adjust my attitude and plans for Goofy. May look to join the party people in Team Not So Fast if there's room for another!

So a bit disappointed. My DD was supposed to do HM with me which would have been her first. However, training has been rough for her this year and we did a shakeout run today and both concluded, she's just not ready and it's not worth the potential injury. On plus side, she will still come down and hang with Dad and cheer for me. After a good training cycle, the old injury bug has also bitten me after my HM right before Thanksgiving.

So having to adjust my attitude and plans for Goofy. May look to join the party people in Team Not So Fast if there's room for another!
Sorry to hear about the changes. Since HM could also mean Haunted Mansion, I think Team Not So Fast always has room for one more.

Okay, I'll show myself out now.

My wife is in a similar boat. She had a major surgery earlier this year and basically never got back to running after. She is registered for the half marathon. My daughter is also registered for the half. She hasn't trained at all (her own doing). The both thought about bowing out, but I think they are going to try to walk the race and challenge the balloon ladies.

A friend drove me to the races this year, so I got to experience being a passenger princess! So my official ranking is:

1. Be driven to the races
2. Take the buses
3. Drive myself to the races

Anyone else hate driving on vacation? I think that’s why I end up on Disney trips so often :rotfl:

I am still not over my last couple trips that involved me driving…got a flat on a Sunday in the middle of nowhere on a road trip, and came home from my Disneyland trip to a dead car battery in the airport parking garage. Now I don’t get behind a wheel on any part of a vacation! :hyper:

Anyone have family last year go to the finish line from Coronado Springs Resort last year on marathon day? If so, how long did it take them to get there? My family is trying to figure out what time to leave so that they can watch me finish.

I'm interested in the answer to your question, since my family is in the same boat. I want them to wait for me at Coronado for a water/GU refill, and they'll want to head to the finish line after. I'm going with the assumption that they'll take the rD busses.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter