Marathon Weekend 2024

These boards might go away? That would be sad and unfortunate for all of us.
I don't know anything specific about these boards but it seems forums are a dying format around the internet. Fewer and fewer are left and the participation levels are dropping. All the other social media platforms took over.

There is a lot of controversy and speculation right now regarding Pete Werner the current owner of the Dis Boards and several other affiliate companies including the DIS Unplugged Podcast, Dreams Unlimited, the DVC Show, Moving to Orlando, etc..

Another company, World of DVC, may or may not have taken control over the enterprise (or parts of it) this week.

Unfortunately, if the runDisney Board closes, then it may be very difficult to migrate the community to a new site since we generally do not know each others real names, much less an email list to contact each other.

Given all that, I think it's too early to do much more speculation until things shake out a bit. I have absolutely no insider information and am just reading other threads on the Dis Board.

ATTQOTD:

I have appreciated the community the DIS Boards have provided. I happened across the runDisney Board while trying to find trip reports, which were new to me at the time. That was 2015, I lurked more than I participated at first. But I noticed how friendly people were and I really appreciated all the advice and info about runDisney races I was able to use. Presently, and just as importantly I value the connections, laughter and since of belonging I feel when on the threads here.

Over time some of the folks have changed, people who used to be active move on, and I miss their contributions. But new folks join and we keep moving forward. It is nice to be part of this niche group of Disney loving runners! Oh, and I will try not to forget SAFD this week…

I started on these boards in their first year of existence, but only discovered the rD section in the the last 8 years or so when I started running. It's truly my only running community and I would be GUTTED to see it go.

Perhaps we could set up a private Facebook group or some equivalent to attempt to keep in touch? The real sad thing would be to lose the collective knowledge and pinned threads here. Perhaps some of the tech savvy members would be willing to help come up with some backup plans or a way to archive some of this somewhere? (I have site hosting capabilities but no idea how to set up an alternate board -- though I'm willing to try!)

ATTQOTD: these boards have been a tremendous help to me since joining last year. I lurked for a bit last year before and leading up to registration day for MW and once I joined I was hooked. I owe a lot of my success in completing Goofy this past January to people on here (looking at you @DopeyBadger!) and the advice I received both about running and about race weekends at Disney. It took a lot of the anxiety away regarding the unknowns heading into the actual race week.

The "bad" side is that now I spend way too much time on DIS in general when I should be focusing on work. It wreaks havoc on my ADD. 🤣

It would be horrible to see DIS go. I am not on social media, and wouldn’t be able to follow along on a private Facebook group or something of that sort, because I wouldn’t be willing to set up a Facebook account. I love being a part of this community, and DH and I usually catch up on new posts by one of us cooking, and the other one reading the posts aloud. It’s part of our routine, and I love it.
We need a plan for if the worst happens! Everybody send contact info to one person, or something like that?

Last edited:
I’ve rarely ventured outside the rD portion of these boards; only when I was looking for specific answers on park portions of my visits. I’ve listened to the podcast a couple times and saw some YouTube content over the years but largely knew nothing about the company behind the forums. I’m somewhat sorry I delved into the rabbit hole of the current difficulties. Selfishly, I hope the forums, and this thread specifically, will continue on; but this looks like a gigantic mess on many levels.

Uh, wow. I'm usually all over parasocial internet drama like a moth to a flame and I totally missed this.

I guess I'll say there are other Disney-related boards out there if this one goes away, although getting everyone to the same place could be tricky. And I'm gonna venture saying the name(s) will get me booted. Maybe I'll think of a code, like some super secret handshake.

I hope this is allowed to stay but I understand if it’s not.

Rteetz here…

I have seen some discussion of myself here. I wanted to chime in. First and foremost, I commend the courage and bravery of those who have endured such horrific things. I am glad these people are in seemingly better places.

As for myself I also feel I’m in a better place. I loved my time here at the Dis. From curating the rumors and news forum, writing for Wdwinfo, moderating the Disboards Facebook group, guest appearing on podcasts and whatever else. I met dozens and dozens of people through this site and fandom. Many of which I am happy to say are still friends to this day. I’d never trade that for the world.

My departure from here wasn’t all that great. I tried to bring reform and change. Maybe I didn’t go about that in the right way. I was young (albeit still am). I’ve learned a lot. I’ve grown a lot. I’d like to think I’m wiser.

Pete certainly said some hurtful things to me. I tried to take the high road. Sometimes that’s not easy.

I have nothing but respect for the likes of Corey, Craig and the rest of the team. They were always incredible nice to me. I know this is an extremely tough time. It may get worse before it gets better. I do truly hope for them and their families it does get better.

Thanks,

Ryan
Thank you Ryan. I look forward to saying Hi at the next HH meetup.

SAFD:

Good Morning runDisney All-Stars! Here is today’s question: Share a money saving hack you use for a Disney Trip.

My Answer - It is a small thing, but we order a case of Diet Coke (my greatest vice - I drink it daily, far too much!) through Prime and have it delivered along with other things we want to snack on during the trip. Each day I bring in two Diet Cokes to the parks and at meals I just ask for a cup of ice. So instead of 50-60$ on soda during the course of a week I spend 12$ on a case of Diet Coke.

Also, I wanted to add that with all this talk about the future of DIS, and these forums, that should the worst happen let’s all make sure we hold to the HH Meet up on the Friday of Marathon Weekend and the Morning Meet-ups. We could always use that time to set up some other type of chat group or something. Of course here is hoping that effort is not needed. Thank you all for your contributions to these threads; a small thing that is really not so small for me.

SAFD: Breakfast is where we like to save money if possible. We’ll pick up some groceries for breakfast and this also saves us time on park mornings. when the kids were younger we’d also book breakfast character meals - but take the latest reservation possible so it would be more of a brunch (and less expensive than the lunch/ dinner prices)

I plan to finally make it to the HH this year as I’ll be solo for the WDW portion of my C2C!

SAFD: We have always explored off-site rentals as well as looking at on-site hotels when making our trips. Sometimes it works out to stay on-site but I don’t think it has ever been the cheaper option. While staying on-site would still be our preference, we have loved our rentals. Particularly, when we have had larger groups and could split the cost of a bigger place rather than booking 4+ rooms at a Disney hotel.

Our rentals have always had a private pool and hot tub, more space per person, and the ability to much more easily make our own meals. We definitely save money on food when we are off-site. Drawback of off-site is that it always has been slightly disadvantaged in some way going to the parks, which got worse with the introduction of Genie+.

We now shape our lodging based on whether we are going to be park heavy or only minimal park visits (we almost always stay off-site for MW and will stay on-site for shorter visits in other, less busy times of the year to do the parks). ETA: MW is still our big Disney trip each year, whether we do parks or not. We often book a shorter trip around MNSSHP, but not always.

SAFD: I don’t have too much to add since I’m local and have the ability to bring whatever I want. Cups of ice water are free from quick service locations and some snack stands. No need to spend $5 on a bottle of Dasani 👍 If we decide to get a bottled drink, we get it inside a store so we get the AP discount. My now adult son used to complain when I did this, but now that the parks are on his dime he does the same thing. He quickly realized spending $5 every time you were thirsty was money wasted 😂 There are also water bottle filling stations.

https://mouseearmemories.com/disney-world-water-bottle-refill-stations-locations-photos-tips/

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter