Marathon Weekend 2023

Hypothetical question: Given the registration fiasco not everyone in a party was able to get a big. What if someone ran with someone else's bib? Is there a way for runDisney to check? Would you think different if it was a child getting an adult's bib so they can run with their friends (there will obviously be at least one adult running with them). Hypothetically of course.

Could you watch runDisney race videos on youtube? That should give you a pretty good visual of most of the courses.

I'm watching and I'm so lost 🤣😂 I feel like this is the complete opposite of the marathon route I ran in 2018. He went through Epcot at mile 4 near Mexico and I feel like that was like mile 24 for me before. Granted I was practically delusional last time trying to just finish the race so it's completely likely that I'm not remembering this at all correctly. Thank you for sharing!

Does anyone know whether it's possible to switch shirts out for a different size at the Expo? Let's just say that this year has not been kind to my waistline and I do not think I can squeeze into the size I registered for in April.
Somewhat related - be sure to check your t-shirts before walking away, especially if doing Dopey. Dopey challengers get a bad with all 6 shirts in it and people have had bags where some of the shirts are the wrong size or a bag that's supposed to be all Unisex cuts but some are Women's cut. Don't think it happens a lot but there's a high enough chance that you want to check before leaving.

Hypothetical question: Given the registration fiasco not everyone in a party was able to get a big. What if someone ran with someone else's bib? Is there a way for runDisney to check? Would you think different if it was a child getting an adult's bib so they can run with their friends (there will obviously be at least one adult running with them). Hypothetically of course.

Well the official line is "no substitutes", which I'm sure you already know. Disney doesn't actively check--it's not like they profile you before you get out on the course, and they are not checking race photos. What you choose to do will be influenced by how comfortable you are with rationalization/risk. e.g. if you're all running for fun, not trying to BQ or win age group awards, etc, then it is plausible to take a "no harm, no foul" attitude. Let's just say, some of us won't be throwing stones.......

I’m all in on carrying a handheld as I use tailwind as my primary hydration and fuel. Is there an easy way to refill at water stations (i.e. can you fill it from a jug of some sort) or do you have to pour a handful of cups into the handheld to refill?
Yep, there’s always at least one volunteer with a big bottle, ready to pour into your own vessel. But sometimes they have a line of people waiting, and there is no attempt at preventing germ cross contamination, so I do this:
Unscrew top of my bottle as I approach station, hold in teeth
Grab a cup, pinch to reduce spillage, and dump into bottle, toss cup, grab 2nd cup and dump
Reattach top as I depart station
I never stop moving, just walk through the whole thing.

I'm trying to decide if I should carry a handheld bottle for the half and full. I really don't want to, but had a bad experience at my last half, where the water stations ended up being in a different spot than what was shown, and I ended the race very dehydrated as a result.

Thoughts on throw away clothes for the 5k. I have family coming from Brazil for the race, and I'm not sure if I should suggest them bring throw away clothes. I'll let them know to bring running clothes for all kinds of weather, but I feel like for the 5k, even if they dress for the corrals, they won't have to worry about overheating during the race. It'll be my first 5k at Disney, so I have no idea what to do. I'm already planning on buying mylar blankets for everyone just in case.
I’ve done 5Ks at WDW with a wind chill in the teens… it’s COLD. Best to be prepared for anything between 20 and 80.
Does anyone know whether it's possible to switch shirts out for a different size at the Expo? Let's just say that this year has not been kind to my waistline and I do not think I can squeeze into the size I registered for in April.
Yep, they have a table designated for shirt swapping.

Last edited:
I'm watching and I'm so lost 🤣😂 I feel like this is the complete opposite of the marathon route I ran in 2018. He went through Epcot at mile 4 near Mexico and I feel like that was like mile 24 for me before. Granted I was practically delusional last time trying to just finish the race so it's completely likely that I'm not remembering this at all correctly. Thank you for sharing!

You're not delusional. The beginning of the 2018 route and the 2022 (youtube video) and 2023 are different. 2018 went from the start heading west towards MK, and not through EPCOT at the start.

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 3.16.30 PM.png

2020 went from the start towards EPCOT instead. Didn't have the out and back on Western Way either.

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 3.18.26 PM.png

So in the youtube video, you are watching something similar to what you'll be doing in 2023. Not similar to what you have done in 2018.

Screen Shot 2022-12-16 at 3.15.53 PM.png

The 2020 previously linked video, and the 2023 course do have some differences which others have already laid out. I wouldn't be able to give you an exact youtube video since the 2023 course is unique. But 2020 and 2023 are close. Here's a 2022 video if that helps. Again, not exact, but close.

I’ve done 5Ks at WDW with a wind chill in the teens… it’s COLD. Best to be prepared for anything between 20 and 80.

I don’t think I explained what I meant very well. I’m going to tell them to bring clothes for literally any weather, from freezer to heat wave. My question is more if they’d need throw away clothes, or if they’ll be fine running in whatever level of clothing is appropriate for waiting in the corrals. For what it’s worth, they’ll probably be cold in anything below like 70F

I don’t think I explained what I meant very well. I’m going to tell them to bring clothes for literally any weather, from freezer to heat wave. My question is more if they’d need throw away clothes, or if they’ll be fine running in whatever level of clothing is appropriate for waiting in the corrals. For what it’s worth, they’ll probably be cold in anything below like 70F
That'll totally just depend on what the temps are and their personal preferences.

I personally pretty much always plan on throwing away a layer no matter what the temps are in the corral. How thick of a layer and whether or not that layer includes pants is determined by the temperature.

Even for Dopey this past year when it was pretty warm I wore some cheap Hanes long-sleeve tees that I took off before starting.

I think that’s a really individual thing - I know people who toss all but a tee and shorts just before starting in any weather. As a cold-blooded Floridian who completely relates to being cold below 70, I still wind up tossing layers in even the coldest temps, just because the waiting for hours in the cold is so much colder than moving! Even that time it was in the 20s, I took my down jacket off and carried it halfway through the 5K (but was really glad I still had it when I finished!) So my best advice is to have multiple layering options - things that can be tossed, things that can be carried or tied around a waist, things that’ll stay on, no matter what.

My question is more if they’d need throw away clothes, or if they’ll be fine running in whatever level of clothing is appropriate for waiting in the corrals.

I usually continue to wear or carry any layers for the 5K and the 10K. They are short enough races that I don't mind wrapping a jacket around my waist/stashing a hat and gloves in my pockets, etc. if necessary. But that being said, I a) am from a cold climate and b) use mylar blankets as my primary weapon against being cold in the corrals.

So.... anyone not thrilled with the Half course? I feel like it's ALL highway/parking lot miles. Typical quick jaunt through MK, fine (this will be my first race through MK!) but then at the end, we're in Epcot for like .3 miles? I really wish there was some world showcase on the course. Just not enough park running overall. the 10k course looks soooo fun and fantastic. But I'm "just" doing the half this year.
Totally agree. Feeling a little bummed that I'm not doing Dopey. Ah well, I'll just have to soak in MK as much as possible and hope the feeling propels me to EPCOT!

You're not delusional. The beginning of the 2018 route and the 2022 (youtube video) and 2023 are different. 2018 went from the start heading west towards MK, and not through EPCOT at the start.

View attachment 725680

2020 went from the start towards EPCOT instead. Didn't have the out and back on Western Way either.

View attachment 725683

So in the youtube video, you are watching something similar to what you'll be doing in 2023. Not similar to what you have done in 2018.

View attachment 725682

The 2020 previously linked video, and the 2023 course do have some differences which others have already laid out. I wouldn't be able to give you an exact youtube video since the 2023 course is unique. But 2020 and 2023 are close. Here's a 2022 video if that helps. Again, not exact, but close.

As always, your level of detail is AMAZING! Thank you for these comparisons! I'm getting there watching them and also now have a much better idea of where I can station my family for a change of clothes mid-course 😁

Thanks for putting this together Billy!

This is my first Dopey, and I'll be running with my daughter (who's in great shape, but doesn't run regularly). I'm going to take the slow approach this year for sure to make sure I finish and still enjoy the parks during our trip. Good luck to all the runners this year - can't wait to get out there (and to show how awesome Disney races are)!

RACE - 5K
NAME - Steve
DIS'er name - PointerPowered
Costume/Clothing - Han Solo
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 8-10 minute per mile
Club runDisney Platinum? - No
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
Maybe - probably yes
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Front/middle
Early Bird or Late Arriver - Early
Expected Race Pace - 12 min/mile Probably run/walking most of it

RACE - 10K
NAME - Steve
Costume/Clothing - Woody
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 8-10 minute pace
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
Yes
Front, Middle, or Back of starting group - Front

RACE - Half
NAME - Steve
Costume/Clothing - regular running clothes
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 2:05 Akron Marathon (2021)
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
Yes

RACE - Full
NAME - Steve
Costume/Clothing - regular running clothes
Estimated Pace/Finish/POT from Registration - 2:05 Akron Marathon (2021)
Pre-Race Meet-up? -
Maybe, probably yes
Expected Race Pace - Between 12 min/mile and infinity

Well the official line is "no substitutes", which I'm sure you already know. Disney doesn't actively check--it's not like they profile you before you get out on the course, and they are not checking race photos. What you choose to do will be influenced by how comfortable you are with rationalization/risk. e.g. if you're all running for fun, not trying to BQ or win age group awards, etc, then it is plausible to take a "no harm, no foul" attitude. Let's just say, some of us won't be throwing stones.......
Since there are no longer any age group awards, you wouldn't have to worry about that.

I loved doing it, but I have to say it got me "off my game" and I struggled a bit for the rest of the race. After the ride and an umbrella drink, my body said "good job we're done now, right?" No, there are 9 more hot, very hot miles to go.
Along with what if the ride breaks down when I'm on it, that's my biggest hesitation about attempting to get on a ride during the marathon.
heinz-doofenshmirtz-phineas-and-ferb.gif
Bonus inator points for using Dr. Doofenshmirtz!
I was so happy to be running with someone at that point...."Next is HS. And then the resorts. And then Epcot. And then we're done!" Having those small targets helped a ton.
I credit seeing the spires of Galaxy's Edge with helping distract my mind from how over everything I was during my first marathon. I entertained myself with thoughts of how excited I was to see Galaxy's Edge in a few months.
They have very long aid stations and quite a number of them. But ultimately you have to choose what's most comfortable for you because there have been rare occurrences.
I was in a very warm Star Wars Half Marathon one April where the first water station was completely out when I got there. The rest were fine, but it can happen. I sometimes need just a sip to wet a very dry throat early in the morning so I always carry water and/or powerade. That way I'm always covered no matter what happens.
At this point, I wouldn't be mad if Goofy was only 19.3 miles....
It's the new Springtime Surprise. Now in January!
I always like to stop at Walmart and get a nice inexpensive fleece jacket to toss. They're donated to charity so a barely used jacket helps me for an hour or two and someone else for a lot longer.

View attachment 725680

View attachment 725683

View attachment 725682

I have to admit that the 2018 marathon course looks so much better than what we are going to do next month. But, I've never run the WDW Marathon so I guess I can't definitively say this will be true after I run it. It just seems to me that running through the WWOS would be so much more entertaining than looping through a parking lot, and the whole "being right back at the starting line after 4 miles" thing is going to mess with my head. I also love how the 2023 map doesn't zoom in on the BB portion because showing a loop through a parking lot probably doesn't give the wow factor that most people are looking for. 🤣

I have to admit that the 2018 marathon course looks so much better than what we are going to do next month. But, I've never run the WDW Marathon so I guess I can't definitively say this will be true after I run it. It just seems to me that running through the WWOS would be so much more entertaining than looping through a parking lot, and the whole "being right back at the starting line after 4 miles" thing is going to mess with my head. I also love how the 2023 map doesn't zoom in on the BB portion because showing a loop through a parking lot probably doesn't give the wow factor that most people are looking for. 🤣
Agreed! This years course just loops back on itself so many times I think it’s going to be really discouraging to be running one way and watching those ahead be on the other side of the road. WWOS had its own downsides, but at least it felt like Disney property could fit a marathon. This year we’re running zig zags and circles to fit the miles in…

If they have some available, they might accommodate. We had to change one shirt in the past… I recommend that you try them all as they can be inconsistent with size.

As always, your level of detail is AMAZING! Thank you for these comparisons! I'm getting there watching them and also now have a much better idea of where I can station my family for a change of clothes mid-course 😁

I will also be changing clothes mid-course, so I'm curious to hear what your change is. Is it a costume switch or just fresh running clothes?

If anyone cares to read the plan for my switch, I'll put it in spoiler tags.
tl;dr I'm switching from Disgust to Joy, from Inside Out, at MK during the full marathon.
We are staying at Bay Lake Tower, and my plan was to have DH come over to MK and try to hand off everything near the hub so I could get castle pics with both costumes. Now I'm thinking I may just toss all of it -- I made the skirt and tank myself and they aren't really well made enough to be worth keeping. The leggings are cheap Amazon that I can put in a discarded clothing pile. I don't often repeat costumes and if I did, it would probably be just Disgust and I'd want to remake it as a dress. The only thing I'd like to salvage is the wig and maybe the neck scarf, but it's not worth the hassle of DH fighting his way to the hub on Main Street to do so. I've also considered carrying the wig until I get over to GF or Poly and have him meet me there, but again, not sure it's worth it to carry the thing another two miles.

Does anyone recall if you can access the castle hub photo pass stations on the way into MK? I've always done that photo after coming through the castle, so I'm not sure if it's blocked from the front right side of the hub. I think I want those castle pics to be in the Joy costume, so if I can jump over and get a hub photo as Disgust, I could make the costume switch in Tomorrowland and get the castle running photos as Joy and then stop again for hub photos as Joy.

I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the early 4 mile loop through Epcot. It's 1) so dark so it's not really like "man I was just right here" and 2) as much as I enjoy WWoS - it's REALLY REALLY REALLY nice to be almost halfway through the race by the time you exit the Magic Kingdom. The 2018 course didn't hit half way until Animal Kingdom but now you hit 13.1, and you still have DAK, Studios, & Epcot to go. That was a huge mental relief for me this past year.

It's tough to have this current "birds eye view" of the course and try to relate it to what the actual miles are but when you're actually running it you are moving through each spot so quickly you don't really have much time to think about the in's & outs of the course if that makes sense

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter