Marathon Weekend 2023

I'm definitely interested in HH, especially because I am staying at the Beach Club. Lol.

I'm not sure about pre-race meetups just yet because I am running with a friend from college and I am hesitant to make pre-race plans before talking with him about what he expects. He may be down for it, but I'm not sure yet.

Also, I could use a little support from the group. I did my 7-mile long run on Sunday and it went HORRIBLY. Like, probably the worst training run I have ever had and I have done many races in the past. I was really making an effort to run slowly and keep my heart rate down, so I ran the first 2 miles and then walked about .15 miles. I figured I could repeat this three times, but everything went way south after I started running again. I could only manage another .5 miles before I had to stop and walk for a while because I was so out of breath, and then I had to continue this pattern of .5 mile stints with frequent walking the rest of the way. I felt like I had the flu by the time 7 miles was over and I felt like crap all day yesterday as well. I've never had such a bad running day in my life, and I was shocked I felt so out of shape considering I did 6 miles the week before with zero issues, including running the first 4 miles without stopping. I plan to do 3 miles tomorrow, but now I'm all freaked out that something is wrong with me. 😢

Also, I could use a little support from the group. I did my 7-mile long run on Sunday and it went HORRIBLY. Like, probably the worst training run I have ever had and I have done many races in the past. I was really making an effort to run slowly and keep my heart rate down, so I ran the first 2 miles and then walked about .15 miles. I figured I could repeat this three times, but everything went way south after I started running again. I could only manage another .5 miles before I had to stop and walk for a while because I was so out of breath, and then I had to continue this pattern of .5 mile stints with frequent walking the rest of the way. I felt like I had the flu by the time 7 miles was over and I felt like crap all day yesterday as well. I've never had such a bad running day in my life, and I was shocked I felt so out of shape considering I did 6 miles the week before with zero issues, including running the first 4 miles without stopping. I plan to do 3 miles tomorrow, but now I'm all freaked out that something is wrong with me. 😢

-What was a recent race time within the last six months that is reflective of your fitness level?
-If memory serves, you hadn't been doing much training recently, right? What training plan did you ultimately decide on?
-What was the average pace of the six mile run last week? What was the pace through the first 4 miles of the 6 mile run? When you decided to start walking after 4 miles in the 6 mile run, why?
-What was the pace of the seven mile run through the first two miles? About how fast do you normally walk?
-Are you possibly sick? Is your resting HR elevated?

-What was a recent race time within the last six months that is reflective of your fitness level?
-If memory serves, you hadn't been doing much training recently, right? What training plan did you ultimately decide on?
-What was the average pace of the six mile run last week? What was the pace through the first 4 miles of the 6 mile run? When you decided to start walking after 4 miles in the 6 mile run, why?
-What was the pace of the seven mile run through the first two miles? About how fast do you normally walk?
-Are you possibly sick? Is your resting HR elevated?
-I did a 5K about four months ago with a finish time of 34:27. I really did not train much for this race though, so it may not be completely indicative of fitness level.
-I ultimately decided on Hal Higdon's Novice 1 training plan, but I do the long runs on Sunday instead of Saturday and I added a walk on Saturday that is half the distance of the long run.
-Average pace for the 6-mile run was 11:40. The average pace through the first 4 miles was 11:14. I started walking because my heart rate had crept up too much. I walked for about .25 miles and then was able to jog the rest.
-Pace through the first 2 miles of the 7-mile run was 10:50, so perhaps a bit faster than the week before. If I walk, it's usually between 15:00-16:00 per minute.
-I took a Covid test that was negative, but have been dealing with some allergy troubles with the weather changing in Dallas. My resting HR just now was 61.

Last edited:

I think marathons are just not going to be my thing.... like I miss my sons soccer games when I have to do these super long runs. Half marathon training was just easier to fit around my busy schedule and did not have to miss out on my son activities.
The time lost to multiple 5 or 6 hour long weekend runs was what kept me happily nowhere near the marathon for years. But discovering that if I am committed to longer weekday runs, then I can avoid 5 or 6 hour long runs was a game changer. It was still a major time commitment and I had to give some things up, but it made the training for a marathon less terrifying. One thing that really helped boost my psychological thoughts was when I learned that my total mileage was higher than the Galloway Dopey plan so spreading out the miles over many days with longer intermediate runs and "shorter" long runs will help you finish.
I can’t wait to officially test the method out come race day. As of right now @DopeyBadger feels like my training hero haha.
I first tested a @DopeyBadger plan out for a half marathon as a way to seeing how I performed with a brand new plan including a final 8 mile long run instead of my usual Galloway plan 14 mile run. Race day itself was miserable due to my mental state of mind. Yet in spite of the last 10 miles being brutal and me wanting to be done with because I was not in a good head space that day, I still took 3 minutes off my PR. I was sold and have now set a new PR for the half and taken 10 minutes off my PR for the marathon, with all 3 marathons at Disney World.
It stretched the plan out a few weeks but I’m not agonizing about missing some key things with the family. I’m still glad I chose this plan (Hanson’s beginner) because I feel like I’ll be well prepared not just for the marathon but the dopey experience of back to back race days, but I think I’ll go back to 5 days a week once Dopey is over.
5 days a week is better for me as well. Sometimes I have to run those days consecutively to fit the plan into life.
I've been saying this since I did my 15 miler. But everyone can tell us "I told you so" when we sign up for our next one. :rotfl2:
I signed up for Dopey as part of marathon one because I feared that if I hated, but still finished the marathon, I would regret not having done Dopey in a one and done scenario. To my surprise, I found that the difficulties of the marathon distance is part of the appeal. In a twisted way, the marathon is my favorite distance because of what it requires to do it. So yes, marathon one has now somehow morphed into marathon 4.
The length of the long runs is exactly why I won't do a Galloway plan.
That was my hang up as well. The running 5 or 6 days per week with longer runs during the week combined with a half marathon length long run on the weekend changed how I feel about running.
Sorry if that’s all TMI for some, but I sure wish people talked about aging as an athlete more openly, because as a lifelong athlete, I had NO idea and have really struggled mentally with going from feeling fine with really high mileage to feeling awful after little 4-milers - just in the span of a few months. Woulda been good to know this could happen!
I have always appreciated and valued your insight here. Sometimes it's incredibly helpful to know the tough times as well.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying one way is in any way "better" than the other, just that it's interesting seeing the differing philosophies at work. Everybody's got to do what works for them and the mental side is just as important as the physiological.
Absolutely. My mental preparation for races was a major weakness before my first marathon. Learning how to better deal with the mental side of running has helped me come to better enjoy running.
Ultimately, I think the most important thing for people to remember is to "trust the plan". You picked the plan you're following for a reason. The plan is set up the way it is for a reason. If hitting an arbitrary distance, be it 20 miles, 26 miles, whatever, is important for you to feel mentally ready, then pick a plan that supports that.
While trusting a new plan can be very scary, committing to it really does work.
I just scratch my head at the idea of running 26 during training and not giving the body time to heal.
I feel the same way. I worry that had I run 26 miles or even 20 during training then I would not been able to properly heal given that I would have missed at least 1 or 2 runs.
His plan is what got me through MW 2018 (although I capped my long run at 18 or 20) so I have experience with them and I know that it works but I guess it just wasn't really "for me" or at least it isn't for me in the place in life I am 5 years later. I feel way better physically and mentally now doing the 5 day a week plan with way higher mileage than I did back then. Is it more of a time commitment during the week? Sure. However, it's a lot more manageable to spend 5 or 6 hours running spread over two days of the weekend than being out there for 6 hours one day.
I feel similarly. Galloway helped me see a path to finishing my first half marathon when I could not fathom how it all worked. While I no longer use his specific plans, I learned a lot from them. I never would have finished a marathon without the things I learned from Galloway.
For the experienced Dopey'ers: how do you approach the challenge during race weekend? Do you walk/go extra slow during certain races? Go "normal" and survive the marathon? I like to pre-plan things so I can get comfortable with an idea and make all of my contingency plans.
I prefer the conserve my energy for the marathon method. So the 5K is to be walked. If I even think I'm going too fast, I slow down. I usually walk the whole thing. The 10K objective is simple. Take it easy and do not get swept. The half marathon demands more of me, but once I know that I'm comfortably well ahead of the balloon ladies, then I focus on slow and steady will win tomorrow. I almost pride myself on setting a personal worst for the races leading up to the marathon. Sometimes I have to skip photos that I may have wanted, but that's reality. Because the time of the longer races increases, there is actually more cushion for slower runners in the half marathon and full for photos. You still have to know your pace, but it's possible.
Today’s question: Who is the best Disney movie villain?
Maleficent. Fire breathing dragon and such.
Both because he has the best song and because his face characters in the parks are often a ton of fun (assuming a good actor).
I was in Disneyland one year and Gaston walked by the place where Sleeping Beauty was doing a meet and greet. He tried in vain to hilariously flirt with her about being in her dreams and after she told him that Prince Phillip was all the dream she needed, Gaston walked away singing "I know me, I walked with me once upon a dream."
Well, we are a little more than two months out, so clearly time to talk weather…. No. Not what the weather will be in January, but what is the weather that you would like for Marathon Weekend.
Given 3 years (2019, 2020, 2022) of hot weather, I expect more of the same. At this point my weather hope is that 2020 is not repeated.
Here's a pic from our DATW from a couple of years ago.
One of my favorite shots from that trip is when Goofy put his own wrist in for the PhotoPass photographer to scan his MagicBand as that's what the rest of us were doing.

I'm in for both HH and DATW. I will try for the morning meetups.

How fast does the goof troop go?
We usually finish the marathon in about 6ish hours. Not all of us start in the same corrals and the amount of runners kind of ebbs and flows over the course. Some run ahead or maybe someone stops for a pic or bathroom break or decides to slow down.

-I did a 5K about four months ago with a finish time of 34:27. I really did not train much for this race though, so it may not be completely indicative of fitness level.
-I ultimately decided on Hal Higdon's Novice 1 training plan, but I do the long runs on Sunday instead of Saturday and I added a walk on Saturday that is half the distance of the long run.
-Average pace for the 6-mile run was 11:40. The average pace through the first 4 miles was 11:14. I started walking because my heart rate had crept up too much. I walked for about .25 miles and then was able to jog the rest.
-Pace through the first 2 miles of the 7-mile run was 10:50, so perhaps a bit faster than the week before. If I walk, it's usually between 15:00-16:00 per minute.
-I took a Covid test that was negative, but have been dealing with some allergy troubles with the weather changing in Dallas. My resting HR just now was 61.

Good info. So the 5k was 11:05 pace, and you ran 11:14 pace for 4 of the first 6 miles on the recent training run. So I'd agree that the 34:27 is unlikely to be a good judge of current fitness.

To flip the scenario around, let's use 10:50-11:14 as an actual truly easy pace. For that to be the case, you'd need to be in about 26 min 5k fitness or 54 min 10k fitness or 7:43 mile fitness. Do you believe that is true? If not, if you ran a mile time trial about as fast as you could tomorrow (not saying you should), what do you reasonably believe you could run it in?

How does the resting HR of 61 compare to your historical data? Is that your normal?

Good info. So the 5k was 11:05 pace, and you ran 11:14 pace for 4 of the first 6 miles on the recent training run. So I'd agree that the 34:27 is unlikely to be a good judge of current fitness.

To flip the scenario around, let's use 10:50-11:14 as an actual truly easy pace. For that to be the case, you'd need to be in about 26 min 5k fitness or 54 min 10k fitness or 7:43 mile fitness. Do you believe that is true? If not, if you ran a mile time trial about as fast as you could tomorrow (not saying you should), what do you reasonably believe you could run it in?

How does the resting HR of 61 compare to your historical data? Is that your normal?
So I'm deducing that my long-run pace is just way too fast, which kind of makes sense at this point. It seems that I need to come to terms with the fact that I can't run as fast as I used to be able to with my current weight and lack of training. An 11-minute mile feels painfully slow to me because I used to be able to run a HM at 8:00/mile pace. But, based on what you are saying, an 11-minute mile for a long run is too aerobic for me right now. If I ran a mile time trial today, I would imagine the fastest I could muster would be around a 9-minute mile (I haven't done this in a long time). What pace would you suggest I aim for on a long run?

BTW, I really appreciate you taking the time to work this out with me. 😀

So I'm deducing that my long-run pace is just way too fast, which kind of makes sense at this point. It seems that I need to come to terms with the fact that I can't run as fast as I used to be able to with my current weight and lack of training. An 11-minute mile feels painfully slow to me because I used to be able to run a HM at 8:00/mile pace. But, based on what you are saying, an 11-minute mile for a long run is too aerobic for me right now. If I ran a mile time trial today, I would imagine the fastest I could muster would be around a 9-minute mile (I haven't done this in a long time). What pace would you suggest I aim for on a long run?

BTW, I really appreciate you taking the time to work this out with me. 😀

Yes, I think that very likely may be the case. In both cases you had to dramatically change your initial pacing strategy during the 6 miler and 7 miler. It's an indication that your effort level is too high regardless of what you were able to do at some other point in the past. Better to train where you are then to reach for old fitness levels when it may be inappropriate. The good news is that it is easier to regain fitness than it is to build new fitness levels. So being patient will help you get back to where you were. But one of the top rules of endurance run training is that if you see a fade (or a non intended run/walk training run becomes run/walk), then it's time to end the run and reassess the strategy that got you there. It's almost never recommended to power through because you are more likely to do more damage than good. Especially if your form starts to suffer.

If you ran a 9:00 flat in a mile time trial, then easy/LR is around 12-13 min/mile for a continuous runner and if you use run/walk then aim for 13 min/mile at something like 60/30 intervals based on a 15:30 min/mile walk.

If you ran a 9:59 in a mile time trial, then easy/LR is around 13.5-14.5 min/mile for a continuous runner and if you use run/walk then aim for 14 min/mile at something like 40/30 intervals based on a 15:30 min/mile walk.

My recommendation is to do a 20-30 min very very easy warm-up, and then give a one mile time trial a try to narrow down current fitness. Be sure to try and run even 0.25 mile splits during the mile time trial (therefore, don't bust out the gate and fade horribly during the time trial).

We usually finish the marathon in about 6ish hours. Not all of us start in the same corrals and the amount of runners kind of ebbs and flows over the course. Some run ahead or maybe someone stops for a pic or bathroom break or decides to slow down.
It’s worth noting that the six hours includes shot stops, drink stops, and a few rides along the way :)

It’s worth noting that the six hours includes shot stops, drink stops, and a few rides along the way :)
I'm 99% sure I caught a glimpse of the Goof Troop RRP this past MW leaving the castle picture area just as I was getting in line, and then never saw them again. Per the plan @The Expert and I can come up with, I don't think we had made any stops until that point other than a bathroom stop or 2. We started in S5.

There were a lot of jokes last year about "Team Not-So-Fast" but I think things get a little more tricky for trying to stay together at the slower paces. It's definitely something that is worth checking in on once the weekend gets closer, or at the HH meetup if you're looking for a running partner @lookingforsunshine for part of a race.

I'm trying to finalize my ADR list (9 days until my first day to make them) and I'm looking for some input and suggestions for post-marathon. I looked back through the SAFDs and I think we did the "where will you never eat again" and a little bit of "what ADRs do you still do." Apologies if I'm false-starting an up-coming SAFD question.

I'm the person who *has* to eat pretty much immediately post long run/race or I can't eat for the rest of the day. I demolished a PBJ I brought in the shade of a gear check truck after the full last year, and then had a birthday donut and part of a cheeseburger at the pool bar when I got back to the resort. (Part of a cheeseburger because my body didn't want to eat by the time DH got the food and brought it back to me.) And I had to FORCE myself to eat dinner. Absolutely nothing sounded good, and I only ate about half the meal we ended up getting at the resort (and then had a 3am wakeup on Monday to go to the airport. UUUUUGH.) So I'm hesitant to plan an expensive dinner for Sunday.

We pushed our flight home to late afternoon, so I could theoretically just eat leftovers on Sunday night and have my celebration (or consolation, if things go badly) meal outside of the parks for lunch on Monday, and then drive to the airport. I'm NOT a foodie, so I just need it to taste good and not be super duper fancy. I've already planned for Sanaa, Homecomin, and Morimoto. Any suggestions?

It'll be 60+4 for us, so I think I have a pretty good shot at the harder-to-snag places.

I'm trying to finalize my ADR list (9 days until my first day to make them) and I'm looking for some input and suggestions for post-marathon. I looked back through the SAFDs and I think we did the "where will you never eat again" and a little bit of "what ADRs do you still do." Apologies if I'm false-starting an up-coming SAFD question.

I'm the person who *has* to eat pretty much immediately post long run/race or I can't eat for the rest of the day. I demolished a PBJ I brought in the shade of a gear check truck after the full last year, and then had a birthday donut and part of a cheeseburger at the pool bar when I got back to the resort. (Part of a cheeseburger because my body didn't want to eat by the time DH got the food and brought it back to me.) And I had to FORCE myself to eat dinner. Absolutely nothing sounded good, and I only ate about half the meal we ended up getting at the resort (and then had a 3am wakeup on Monday to go to the airport. UUUUUGH.) So I'm hesitant to plan an expensive dinner for Sunday.

We pushed our flight home to late afternoon, so I could theoretically just eat leftovers on Sunday night and have my celebration (or consolation, if things go badly) meal outside of the parks for lunch on Monday, and then drive to the airport. I'm NOT a foodie, so I just need it to taste good and not be super duper fancy. I've already planned for Sanaa, Homecomin, and Morimoto. Any suggestions?

It'll be 60+4 for us, so I think I have a pretty good shot at the harder-to-snag places.
No ADR question planned at all, and even if I did - no worries! Like you, I am 9 days out also. Convo planned for my whole family on Saturday to figure out where we are going and on what days. I get, almost as, excited in planning the trip than actually being there.

We used to go to Ohana for our post marathon dinner. But have had a couple bad experience this past year. We are eyeing Boma this year. Hard to go wrong with the Zebra Domes!!!

We have also done Liberty Tree Tavern and Biergarten after the marathon. I am usually VERY hungry by dinner after the marathon so it has always been buffets…. There are likely lots of other ideas people can share beyond me two plating the buffet line!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter