• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2023

Circling back to our previous discussion on theming and my critique of Dopey… my friend had the idea of rebranding it to the Hercules challenge and highlighting strength instead of a problematic character that stigmatizes disability. I wish they would do this! But I doubt it’ll happen.

I hope that you send this idea to runDisney as well as some of the chief Disney execs. Or maybe post on some other RD groups. Maybe you can get it to go viral.

I hope that you send this idea to runDisney as well as some of the chief Disney execs. Or maybe post on some other RD groups. Maybe you can get it to go viral.
I just made a runDisney focused Instagram so once it gains traction I might try. I am about to have a PhD with a specialization in Disability Studies so I have some sort of “expertise” that maybe makes me worth listening to…

In the meantime, I want to do all four races but don’t care to wear Dopey on my bib. Ugh. Dilemma.

I've been traveling and at a work event all day, so it was exciting to check in and see so many new pages on the thread! I agree with those who say it looks more 80s than 90s, but super fun either way. As the Oswald super-fan, I was disappointed to see him gone from the 10K, but the C&D design is really cute.

I just made a runDisney focused Instagram so once it gains traction I might try. I am about to have a PhD with a specialization in Disability Studies so I have some sort of “expertise” that maybe makes me worth listening to…

In the meantime, I want to do all four races but don’t care to wear Dopey on my bib. Ugh. Dilemma.
I'm not sure if expertise really matters. If enough people complain, they'll do something about it.

Does anyone know who to contact? I'm happy to write a letter discussing how problematic it is.

OMFG! Thinking about this conversation brought back memories of high school and college in the early 90's. Will they present Minnie or Daisy with heroin chic a la Kate Moss? Which character will be wearing grunge like Kurt Cobain?
I've been wanting to do a Courtney Love costume for PHM for years, but the weather's always been too chilly in years I ran lol!

So, I was not a kid in the early 90s: I was a young, broke adult. Wasn't watching Disney Channel or Nickelodeon, didn't even have cable. Beer and cigarettes were at the top of my budget hierarchy lol!

When I think 1993 pop culture, this is what comes to mind:
View attachment 660989

Somebody make it happen, please!
The more I think about it, the theming is all wrong. The artwork is much more reflective of the late 80s than 1993. Grunge was the aesthetic from bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

The more I think about it, the theming is all wrong. The artwork is much more reflective of the late 80s than 1993. Grunge was the aesthetic from bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam.
I agree. There was a chasm of difference between even 1991 and 1993. I was in college in '91 and while it wasn't my style, I clearly recall friends wearing lots of neon and splashy graphics. By '93 that was gone. If it wasn't grunge in '93, it was GAP: lots of denim and collegiate looks. But I've seen a bunch of articles lately referencing "90s style" making a comeback, and every image in them was what I remember from the 80s, so maybe that's where this is coming from? It all makes me feel very old, which does not encourage me to spend money, but I'm in that much smaller demographic group of older runners, lol!

So, I was not a kid in the early 90s: I was a young, broke adult. Wasn't watching Disney Channel or Nickelodeon, didn't even have cable. Beer and cigarettes were at the top of my budget hierarchy lol!

When I think 1993 pop culture, this is what comes to mind:
View attachment 660989

Somebody make it happen, please!

My wife and I dressed as Elaine and Jerry for Halloween one year in college (maybe 2007?). We brought black/white cookies and all of our conversations with people were rehearsed skits from the show. “She had man hands.” Good times. Most didn’t recognize or get it.

I think it still fits the Disney aesthetic of that time period. More so than now, Disney was really focused on the young family and kids back then and that look was definitely prevalent in grade schools at the time (I may have some personal experience).

And even if tastes outside the park had swung from the late-80s/early-90s neon/pastel/computer graphic look, I don’t think grunge ever really became a Disney promoted look.

So while it may be slightly out of time for the world as a whole for that time, I still think it pretty effectively reflects Disney in 1993. And that’s only if we want to get nit picky about the precise date.

ETA: Kids have always been behind in fashion/music/pop culture (in relation to teens and people in their early-20’s, anyway) and it was much more pronounced back then when the internet/phones/social media weren’t anywhere close to what they are now. I remember the “Let’s go to the Mall” joke on How I Met Your Mother about how Canada was however many years behind the US in trends; it was definitely that way for smaller kids in that era.

Last edited:
I agree. There was a chasm of difference between even 1991 and 1993. I was in college in '91 and while it wasn't my style, I clearly recall friends wearing lots of neon and splashy graphics. By '93 that was gone. If it wasn't grunge in '93, it was GAP: lots of denim and collegiate looks. But I've seen a bunch of articles lately referencing "90s style" making a comeback, and every image in them was what I remember from the 80s, so maybe that's where this is coming from? It all makes me feel very old, which does not encourage me to spend money, but I'm in that much smaller demographic group of older runners, lol!
This is the problem when style writers reference a decade that they didn't experience for themselves. I was a sophomore in college in 1993 and distinctly recall the majority of people wearing flannel shirts tied around their waist. As per the Mickey Mouse Club, this is what Britney, Christina, Ryan et al looked like on the Disney Channel in 1993.

Attachments

• 0_The-Mickey-Mouse-Club.jpg
    0_The-Mickey-Mouse-Club.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 19

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter