Marathon Weekend 2020

Question:

Anyone have any thoughts on how the opening of Galaxys Edge might impact hotel room availability and cost? I am tentatively in for Dopey this year, but I am concerned about how the opening of GE might impact hotel costs. I had debated going to Disney later this summer but then the great hotel/package deals they had just disappeared. Over the last few years I have been able to book a hotel room with the expectation that in the fall blocks of rooms would be discounted—as long as you moved quickly when the discounts popped up.

I wonder if the days of these types of discounts might be a thing of the past. Not to be too negative, but it seems like each year Disney has ramped out ways to gouge you like paying for parking at resorts, miscellaneous high-priced add ons, rising hotel prices etc... Just two years ago I splurged and was able to get a room at Grand Floridian for $350 a night for marathon weekend, even with deep discounts now it would be hard to get the same room for $500 a night. I don't mind paying a premium for these races, but if I end having to pay over $200 to stay at a value resort like Pop Century (given the new gondola system opening)...that would be my breaking point. Honestly, I am pretty close to just tapping out on Disney: the quickly rising costs, along with the changes they are making that will probably blow up the already incredibly high prices, is making me rethink signing up for Dopey until I know what the cost for hotel and travel.

Question:

Anyone have any thoughts on how the opening of Galaxys Edge might impact hotel room availability and cost? I am tentatively in for Dopey this year, but I am concerned about how the opening of GE might impact hotel costs. I had debated going to Disney later this summer but then the great hotel/package deals they had just disappeared. Over the last few years I have been able to book a hotel room with the expectation that in the fall blocks of rooms would be discounted—as long as you moved quickly when the discounts popped up.

I wonder if the days of these types of discounts might be a thing of the past. Not to be too negative, but it seems like each year Disney has ramped out ways to gouge you like paying for parking at resorts, miscellaneous high-priced add ons, rising hotel prices etc... Just two years ago I splurged and was able to get a room at Grand Floridian for $350 a night for marathon weekend, even with deep discounts now it would be hard to get the same room for $500 a night. I don't mind paying a premium for these races, but if I end having to pay over $200 to stay at a value resort like Pop Century (given the new gondola system opening)...that would be my breaking point. Honestly, I am pretty close to just tapping out on Disney: the quickly rising costs, along with the changes they are making that will probably blow up the already incredibly high prices, is making me rethink signing up for Dopey until I know what the cost for hotel and travel.
I can't speak to what may happen with WDW resorts, as I stay offsite. But the price I'm paying offsite for 2020 is the same price-point (it went up a little, but it does that every year - this increase was well within normal patterns) I paid for 2019, both of which are less than what I paid in 2018. I'm with you: I'd never pay $200 for a Value. But there are plenty of very nice offsite options for far less cost than onsite.

I'm holding a room at Pop Century through @Keels package for $122 per night plus tax, which I think is an excellent rate there. I had a room held directly with Disney before then for $149 (including tax) a night, and granted this was before the announcement of dates, but I don't think they're going to raise it that dramatically, at least not right away. I usually take a wait and see approach on the effect of improvements on their pricing and usually isn't as bad as people predict (and personally, I'm looking forward to the improvements at DHS and EPCOT). I don't usually stay at Deluxe resorts because I'm never in my room long enough to justify it, so I'm not sure about the likelihood of those discounts.

Question:

There are currently 0 fall discounts. They obviously still may come out with one but I think they will be less than usual if they do. There will certainly an impact on rooms and availability but it’s yet to be seen what that impact will be as packages for 2020 are not out yet.

EE, because Mission: Breakout is better!

(Ducks)
I also like Mission Breakout better than the DCA version of Tower of Terror.

If you’re comparing it to the DL tower or terror sure. The WDW tower is not comparable IMO because of the 5th dimension aspect that Disneyland never had. Then you have the Tokyo tower which is completely different as well.
That's the difference to me. I really love the whole experience of DHS Tower of Terror. One of my all time favorites and my pick for one side of the finals. I went with Pirates on the other side, but that's because the Disneyland version is the version I choose. If it's WDW only, then I would not vote for Pirates.

I think Dopey will sell out this year with the goofy anniversary and Star Wars.
Especially with the allure of the anniversary Goofy medal as part of it. I was on the fence about Goofy or Dopey since I knew I was running at least Goofy because of the anniversary, but ultimately decided on Dopey because I knew I would really regret it if the 5K or 10K medals had Chip and Dale. And if they don't, then I'll still enjoy the 5K and 10K.

Probably not. I don't think Goofy has sold out since Dopey started.
The only reason I think Goofy could sell out is because of the anniversary medal. Or would they just release more spots for Goofy if their internal numbers showed that might be a possibility?

I don't think the 10th anniversary goofy sold out though.
It didn’t. They broke it up into more half and full bibs (Goofy Gives Back), which is how I was able to experience my very first runDisney race. Who knows, maybe I would have never ran runDisney if more half bibs wouldn’t have shown up a week or two after the very first time I had heard of races at Disney?? :D

ETA: Goofy could still sell out, though, if they decide to not have as many bibs available for it in the first place.

Well, I just rented a DVC reservation for Marathon Weekend, so it looks like I'm in! I splurged on a confirmed Poly reservation - I'm going to lie to my travel partner (my mom) as long as I can and tell her I booked us at a moderate or something and pay the difference. I would love to get all the way on DME and to the Poly without her knowing.

Now I need to decide what to run. I'll be there Thursday-Monday, so Dopey is out.

I'm just not sure of what combo I want, or if I should just do one race. I feel like I should do Goofy, since it's an anniversary year, and it will be a good lead-up to when I (hopefully) do Dopey in 2023 for the anniversary. I'll either do 10k/half, just marathon, or Goofy. I want to run around the Boardwalk area! I missed doing that by just doing the half this year.

Paging @DopeyBadger - how few miles can I train and still run Goofy :P

Well, I just rented a DVC reservation for Marathon Weekend, so it looks like I'm in!

:woohoo:

39.33 miles. ;)

Realistically, it always matters what your goals are. But if I were to write a training plan for a person running Goofy, it would essentially be no different than how I would train them for the marathon as a stand-alone event (same goes for Dopey really). So keep that in mind when weighing your choices between marathon vs Goofy, as on my end, they're the same. The 10k/HM combo, you could certainly get away with less. If I were to put a minimal number on it for the marathon/Goofy, I'd say you wouldn't want to be doing much less than 5 hours in a maximal week (don't like mileage as much as a means for basis since my view is duration x current fitness pacing matters more, and of course that 5 hours is balanced throughout the week not weekend long run heavy). My preference is to see something closer to 7-8 hours in a peak week to feel really comfortable about getting the most out of one's fitness. Of course, as you know the peak week is built to and not something that just occurs in the midst of several 1-2 hour other weeks. A steady progression. Looks like your current HM plan peaks at 5:08 hours + 2 weights/McMillan Core routines per week. So just a nudge upwards on the long run (max 150 min), and a tiny bit more running mid-week (move cap from 60 min to 90 min in the last 6-8 weeks of training) to balance the extra training load from the long run.

One thing I wanted to note that really helped me understand why @DopeyBadger plans work when the long run is much shorter than most other plans. In my specific case, I ran more miles than my little sister who was using the Galloway plan for Dopey training did. I got the volume through longer runs during the week (between 4-6 miles almost every day) instead of all at once. And speaking for me, it worked much better this way because it's less difficult to spread the miles over 5 days a week instead of 3 days a week.

Here @Sleepless Knight was that breakdown that helped you see the finer details of your specific plan:

A fairer comparison of your plan vs Galloway would be the Dopey plan since that's the true substitute.

For example, check out the Galloway runDisney Dopey plan with estimated durations for you.

Week 23 - 4 mi + 4 mi + 6 mi = 14 miles (3:30 duration)
Week 24 - 4 + 4 + 7 = 15 miles (3:45 duration)
Week 25 - 4 + 4 + 5 walk + 12 walk + 26 run/walk = 51 miles (12:45 duration)
Week 26 - 4 mi + 4 mi + 6 mi = 14 miles (3:30 duration)
Week 27 - 4 + 4 + 7 = 15 miles (3:45 duration)
Week 28 - Race

Week 25 would have been a massive undertaking. I've only ever done above 10 hours of exercise in a week 3 times (most recently this past week at just under 11 hours). I say leave the massive undertaking that will require a ton of recovery to the actual race event itself.

Now your plan:

Week 23 - 31 miles (8:02)
Week 24 - 26 miles (6:50)
Week 25 - 31 miles (8:16)
Week 26 - 26 miles (6:48)
Week 27 - 20 miles (5:20)
Week 28 - Race

Galloway total mileage in last 5 weeks is 106 miles and duration is about 27.25 hours.
Your total mileage in the last 5 weeks is 134 miles and duration is about 35.0 hours.

Yea, those people will go up to 26 miles in training and 51 total miles in peak. But you'll do 126% the training mileage and 128% the duration. And I'll take a huge bet that you'll feel significantly fresher than them despite all those extra miles/time because you didn't go beyond that 150 minute barrier in training. I don't have my computer with me right now, but I think you peaked at 11-12 miles on the long run (being completed in about 150 minutes).

With that being said, there are multiple successful methods to training. This explanation is just how I personally design the training using my methods from other sources.

With runDisney no longer using Active.com for race registration, I am wondering how much the 2020 Dopey race will cost over and above the $590 registration price listed on the site?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter