2019 Goofy Challenge Race Report

Half Marathon

I went out targeting just over an 11:00mm pace and held it easily through the first half of the course. I consistently sped up the 2nd half of the course. Why? TMI, but I didn’t want to use an on course bathroom.
This was a good decision. I had problems managing my stomach but was tempted to switch to squatting on the side of the road after a porta potty just past frontier land. Either someone was injured or a gu packet exploded, perhaps also injuring someone. I’ve never seen such a thing.

This year was the first time I have run the half, and it is okay but too much highway. Unless I do Dopey, I will stick to either the 10k (boardwalk and world showcase are my favorite parts anyway) or marathon.
It was my first time on the course and thought it was not nearly as bad as what I expected based on people’s dislike of the highway. I was mostly thrilled they don’t have the potholes I train on!

I ran with @jennamfeo for every race. She truly was my support system through it all. Love ya girl!

Today was a combination of what the heck was I thinking and amazing.

I knew going into the run this morning that we were looking at a minimum 6 hour finish time. Jenna and I really wanted to ride Everest and needed to kill 3 hours to do so. The first half of the course I was freaking out (mostly on the inside so I didn’t freak Jenna out). The balloon ladies started a lot sooner than I anticipated. My hamstring just didn’t want to loosen up, but a quick stop for biofreeze helped. After an epic ride on Everest I was energized and ready to take on the second half of the course.

View attachment 375334

ESPN was great. I loved running around all the different fields. There was quite a bit of shaded areas which was a welcome reprieve from the sun that was trying to burn us alive.

We saw @mrsg00fy on the path from HS to Boardwalk. She gave us the biggest hugs. I didn’t know how much I needed that hug til I got it :hug:

Did they have to pick the most tear jerking emotional songs for Epcot? Tears and laughter were the theme for this part of the course.

The finish....yup... more tears as we rounded that corner and could see the actual finish line. It’s hard to put into words the feelings I had crossing that finish line and having that medal put around my neck. It was surreal.

Random thoughts.....

Saw one course cutter on the out and back before AK. Way too easy to do it there.

Spectator snacks rock. During the half I made a u-turn for a Krispy Kreme donut. During the full I had jolly ranchers, Swedish fish, twizzlers, starburst, a Jell-O shot, chocolate and ice cold Coca Cola.

On course race bananas must be magically enchanted. Those were the best bananas I’ve ever had.

View attachment 375343

View attachment 375344
Way to go Oviedo! Great EE photo with the fellow Disers!! Congrats on the big week of running!

For real, it was.
I think I saw you going into WWoS as I was coming out. But...I was too exhausted to speak! :rotfl2: All I could think was that with all of those people behind you, you weren’t going to achieve your goal of a DLF!

I actually like that part because I was able to people watch and say hi to some people (@run.minnie.miles & @KattyBelle)! I also saw @CDKG but I don’t think she heard me.
Oh, sorry about that. I wish I would have heard you! But, see my response to @Keels above. :rotfl2: I will see you tomorrow!

My only race pic so far

11-A32-ED3-E86-A-408-E-9-E57-2-D7-CA93-D2-B89.jpg

Congrats to all the marathon and challenge finishers today! As for me it was not my best effort but a finish of my first and only Dopey. I ran the first have in right around 5:00 pace but then at the half way mark my legs decided they were done. I ended up walking a good bit of the second half and finished with at 5:46, but a finish is a finish. As mentioned by several others I think I will probably hang up doing full marathons. I have several halves already planned for this year but the full is just to brutal on my body. Again, congrats to all who finished today!

First congrats on the full folks today. Just got back and saw a few of you at Studios today at 11:15 - brutal tough day. Mad respect for Dopey and Goofy folks.

Mad thanks for everyone here for answering my newbie WDW marathon questions. Quick report from the half. Left SSR at 4:05am and that traffic was a bit brutal. I hate waiting around at races - this summer I had to wait for close to 3 hours at the USA National Triathlon in Cleveland it was just brutal. I got the B corral at like 5:15 which was fine. I heard they were policing corrals but not B. At the first pic stop with Capt Jack the guy behind me had a F corral jersey.

Went a 157:30 on my watch - stopped my watch at each pic stop just to see what I could run it. Official like a 2:08 or so. Which was way better then I thought. Here are some thoughts as this is not my first half marathon:

- Very well organized from the expo and race day. Yes, its an expensive race but it is well done
- The 2 mile march to get to run 13.1 was well interesting.
- I am born and raised in the South so I know humidity. But that was just strange - I was literally dripping wet - but cold. And yeah there is some blood there too sorry. I knew at mile 7 that it was going to get a little nautical.
- Great job on water etc. Very well planned
- BUT miles 7 to the end were just not so much fun. The first few miles, running to MK and through MK were great. Iconic even with good to great characters and entertainment. I counted 9 or more character stops along with the way and in MK. Being able to run down the road and through the entrance to the MK parking was so nostalgic for me. as I was 9 years old the first time I rode into that parking area. Quite emotional actually. And running under the waterway, and into MK was just plain amazing.

- But once we left MK - ugh. The stretch from the GF to Epcot was just drudgery. I know from running longer races that there is going to be a part of a race where its is going to be not so fun but man there was a wasted opportunity to liven up those miles. Especially the stretch from the gas station onto the overpass.
- And running through EPCOT seemed very underwhelming.

Ended up getting a 40 minute nap after the race (couple of post race beers helped too) - then stayed up to 12:30 closing down MK after a loop of Epcot in the afternoon. I was up 20 plus hours, with a reported 47k steps and 30 miles on my Apple Watch (thinking that was too much but easily over 20 miles).

Happy I raced it, and maybe I go back someday but its not something I am going to be putting on my got to do every year list. It's really well done, as good as a race experience as you will find.

Attachments

• disneyrunimage.jpg
    disneyrunimage.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
So, I finished my first marathon...

First, let me say it was nice to put a name with a face and met @lhermiston , @LSUlakes , @Neon Cactus , and walking to the corrals with @Z-Knight ...

I had been dealing with training injuries and was unsure if I’d even get to go, but the thigh felt good at the start, however, I think missing the last 3-4 weeks of training killed me. My first 15 miles took 3 hours. I hit a wall around mile 16-17 (the overpasses) and did the last 11.2 miles in 3 hours and 25 minutes...

So, 6:25:14 for me, BUT, I finished and am thrilled with that. Like others, I may be one and done with the marathon. The half just seems to be a better distance for me...

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your support over the past 4 months, I really appreciate you guys!

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone on their races especially the Dopey racers. Didn’t achieve Dopey for me this time. All went well until I caught a bug Saturday which started me off with a fever for Sunday’s marathon. Between the fever and the heat I really started struggling after I left Animal Kingdom. At ESPN I had a medic following me asking if I was ok. I kept saying yes, but I guess I was weaving. Then just about mile 20 I fainted. They got me back to the medical tent I had just passed and that was the end for me. Last night I felt horrible, whether from the heat or illness I don’t know, and terribly stiff and sore. Today I’m feeling better except for the cough I’ve gotten and I’m not very sore. So yay for that training on the soreness end.

I wanted to thank all of you for the encouragement this past year for trying this. Yesterday I to,d DH that I didn’t ever want to do a marathon again. Today, as he predicted, I’m debating about trying for Dopey next year.

a few photos of the marathon. these are from a runner's perspective mostly to give everyone a little idea what it was like...

this is what a good solid hour before the start is like in the corral. i do not envy anyone the arctic temps of last year.
IMG-20190113-WA0032.jpg

and we're off... well, someone is.
20190113_052613.jpg

WOOO! WE'RE NEXT!
20190113_053841.jpg

sorry. i'm not carrying any cash.
20190112_063201.jpg

Congrats to everyone who finished races over the weekend!

I had the best 1st marathon experience yesterday! I even actually liked running through ESPN, it was a nice change after the highway. Stopped for a few short pictures and finished in 5:16:20, which I was pleased with.

It was so great to meet some of you this weekend. I was pretty nervous the night before/ on the bus, but chatting with you all that morning, I only felt excited before the race! Thanks!

Have fun at DATW today! We’ll be at MK.

It’s a Monday morning when you wake up as a marathoner!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter