• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Does anyone know if you'll be able to sign up for Wine and Dine at the expo?

I would guess not, since the website states registration doesn't open until March 13th, 2018, though RunDisney could surprise us with an early registration opportunity at the expo.

I would guess not, since the website states registration doesn't open until March 13th, 2018, though RunDisney could surprise us with an early registration opportunity at the expo.
Disney has allowed registration at the expo in the past before the registration date opens. I believe you had to book a room with it though, not sure if that is still the case.

I’d heard it was cold last year, but it seems everyone was caught off guard. Did the forecast change or did everyone just pack assuming Florida would be hot?

(I’ll learn from everyone’s drama and just have every piece of run clothing I own packed just in case and I’ll just look like Joey from Friends on the plane if there isn’t room in my suitcase)

As we get closer to the marathon and you see the amount of focus on the weather you'll see that it likely wasn't people just assuming it will be warm. The weather changes can be rapid big. It's gotten to the point where increasingly my mindset is just "bring all the stuff". We have no idea what the weather will be like but so far I've got handwarmers for everyday, a mylar for myself and a blanket for my wife as drop items. (if it's cold and I drop my mylar, I'll pick another one up at the end of each race to be prepped for the next morning. I've also got through away gloves. For most of my costumes I have long and short sleeve and calf sleeve options so that I can vary while I'm there. I'll also have at least 2 garbage bags.

I figure if I pack for warm, hot, cold, rainy and dry I should be covered. It doesn't what the forecast says because I'm leaving Tuesday and Sat/Sunday could be very different than what they are showing when I leave.

Why I run Disney: It was a cross between having family that worked at Disney World and needing some kind of activity that would get me to train no matter how busy/stressful my job was. My job was consuming way too much time, so I figured signing up for a marathon would provide me with motivation to get out the door, even with 100 items on my to do list. The fear of not being ready for the marathon far outweighed the stress of my to-do list at work. So we picked the DisneyWorld marathon weekend, since we could visit family at the same time. Then, 3 weeks before the DW marathon, right after my last long run, I fractured my ankle playing volleyball. My wife was signed up to run the half-marathon, so we still went to Orlando and visited family, and she ran her race. On Sunday morning, we all went to Hollywood Studios to do some of the rides with the kids, and I sat on a bench in my giant boot, watching all the marathoners go by. At that point I told myself I was coming back the next year and I was going to do Goofy to make up for it (Dopey didn't exist at the time). After that, I was hooked, both on distance running and Disney. This will be our 7th marathon weekend, and we've since included our kids in the races. My 12 year old son will be running the 5k and 10k with me this year!

Last edited:

Disney has allowed registration at the expo in the past before the registration date opens. I believe you had to book a room with it though, not sure if that is still the case.

Hadn't know that, thanks for the update! We're DVC members, too, so I probably won't register at the expo unless there's a discount. DVC usually has an early registration option available. Plus, Wine and Dine hasn't been selling out recently if I'm remembering correctly. I don't think early registration will be required to make sure we get into the challenge.

As we get closer to the marathon and you see the amount of focus on the weather you'll see that it likely wasn't people just assuming it will be warm. The weather changes can be rapid big. It's gotten to the point where increasingly my mindset is just "bring all the stuff". We have no idea what the weather will be like but so far I've got handwarmers for everyday, a mylar for myself and a blanket for my wife as drop items. (if it's cold and I drop my mylar, I'll pick another one up at the end of each race to be prepped for the next morning. I've also got through away gloves. For most of my costumes I have long and short sleeve and calf sleeve options so that I can vary while I'm there. I'll also have at least 2 garbage bags.

I figure if I pack for warm, hot, cold, rainy and dry I should be covered. It doesn't what the forecast says because I'm leaving Tuesday and Sat/Sunday could be very different than what they are showing when I leave.

Here's a real time example of the weather here in the South. I live in SW Georgia so my weather is often similar to Orlando. I'm only about 4 hours away. Saturday morning during my 20 miler, it was around 33F during the bulk of it. It may have warmed up to around 38F by the time I finished. Yesterday morning, it got up to mid 70's with relatively high humidity. As many have said before, be prepared for anything! I hate running in hot weather, but living where I do, I can start a run in a parka and end up in a singlet before it's over!

Why do I run? I run because it is cheaper than therapy, HAHA. Just kidding, with all the shoes and races it probably costs more than therapy would! It is just great time to be alone and focus on my thoughts and have some time that is just for me.

Why do I run Disney? Because it is a good excuse to go to Disney, I love running through the parks, and I LOVE the bling!

Reading about why everyone runs Disney is so inspirational! And, honestly, is one of the reasons why I run at Disney :)

I started running because my friend tried to talk me into a half and I wasn't buying it. I had never run further than 3 miles in my life. Eventually she convinced me that if we dressed up as princesses and ran at Disney, it wouldn't be that bad :) and we ran the 2016 Princess Half. It was so much fun! I loved it and got hooked on running and have since run 8 more halfs. I never thought I would run a marathon in a million years but somehow, I ended up signing up this year and I ran 23 miles this weekend, so apparently I'm actually going to do this :blush:

Without Disney, I don't think I ever would have gotten into running. I'm not a fast runner and didn't think that people who run at my pace ran marathons or half marathons. runDisney really helped me to see that pretty much anyone can do this with enough training and motivation. I even got my mom on board to run the Princess 10K in 2017! This board has also helped me so much because I'm training on my own and had to modify the Galloway plan due to illness (darn you Crohn's!). I'm really hoping to meet some/all of you guys in person before the marathon!

Thanks for the heads up. I thought i remembered people signing up for races before they opened at other events to get a discount but I wasn't sure what the terms were. (In fact I thought that was some of the consternation between the cancellation of west coast races. For people that had signed up a year in advance RD had kept their money a long time.

Hadn't know that, thanks for the update! We're DVC members, too, so I probably won't register at the expo unless there's a discount. DVC usually has an early registration option available. Plus, Wine and Dine hasn't been selling out recently if I'm remembering correctly. I don't think early registration will be required to make sure we get into the challenge.
We are DVC too. I thought in the past their was a discount for signing up at the expo. That was my primary motivation rather than concern about it selling out.

Hey all - I'm having trouble coming up with an original idea for a costume for the 10K (Dopey Runner here, and have costumes for the other races...) so I was wondering if anyone knew of a group that was doing a group costume I could get in on?

Thanks for the heads up. I thought i remembered people signing up for races before they opened at other events to get a discount but I wasn't sure what the terms were. (In fact I thought that was some of the consternation between the cancellation of west coast races. For people that had signed up a year in advance RD had kept their money a long time.
The virtual goodie bag for WDW Weekend has a discount for dark side weekend but nothing for Wine and Dine.

I wasn't talking about myself...

I genuinely hope you have a fun race this year. Your at Disney which is awesome and while we've talked a lot about course crowding for the most part you'll be able to run the race you want. You may also be in a position to ride some of the rides without needing to be concerned about being swept. I've always wanted to do that, but been afraid that I couldn't stand up afterwards.

Question for those who have run a Disney marathon before, what is the candy they hand out during the race? I saw in the Event guide that at mile 23.2 candy will be available. Just wondering what to prepare for.

thanks

Question for those who have run a Disney marathon before, what is the candy they hand out during the race? I saw in the Event guide that at mile 23.2 candy will be available. Just wondering what to prepare for.

thanks
Usually M&Ms, Dove chocolates or Hershey kisses. Something small to grab and go usually. We really won't know for sure until we get to the candy stop.

thanks
In 2015 it was little candy bars (like the minis you see at Halloween) & I grabbed a Krackle. 2016 little Dove chocolates I remember. So I would assume chocolate, but who knows till we get there like Rteetz said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter