• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Marathon Weekend 2018

Sunday question: Why I run and why Disney for me are the same. I was a "casual jogger" back in the 90's as part of an exercise regime to lose weight. But changing jobs to one where I was in a state car all day, eating junk for meals as I didn't have time to stop (breakfast: pb crackers and diet pepsi, lunch: doritos and diet pepsi, etc.) and I gained it all back. DD28 surprised me with a WDW trip and annual pass for my birthday in 2015 and we were there (unintentionally) over Princess Weekend. She has always been a runner and decided we needed to come back and do a race. We managed to get registered for W&D that year so I started running with that goal in mind. Two years later we are still doing runDisney races and I have done 13 non Disney races. I didn't lose weight running though. I totally changed my diet and lost 60 lbs. But running helps me maintain the loss and keeps me in shape. I think Dopey might be our last runDisney for a while as DH would like to spend that money on some trivial things like a new roof, etc.! :rolleyes:

Sunday question: RunDisney is actually what got me running. I felt like a RunDisney race would be a great way to get the baby weight off from my oldest. I love Disney and a race seemed like an awesome excuse for a Disney trip. I run now to stay healthy and it’s the only guaranteed time that I don’t hear “momma!” during the day. I have started to run a lot more local races over the years but RunDisney will always hold a special place in my heart. It has helped me take on challenges I never would have dreamed I would do (run a half, run a challenge, run a marathon, and Dopey in a few weeks). I have never run other races where I know that I am going to have fun and truly enjoy my race experience like I do at Disney.

On another note, I survived my Dopey simulation last week! I did 2.5, 5, 10, and 20 and was very pleased with my overall pace each day. I was especilly pleased with my 20 miler on Saturday. I was able to run my 20 miler faster than I ran my 19 mile run two weeks prior. I am feeling about as ready as I can so I am super excited to taper and head down to Disney in a few weeks!

What motivated me to run was Disney! Some friends were signing up to do the HM in January 2017 and all I heard was Disney and said I was in. I had run a 10K about 10 years earlier but that was it. I was exercising on a regular basis, doing 3 - 4 spin classes a week and weights but I had plateaued. As well, the past few years my weight was fluctuating due to various surgeries, thyroid issues and poor diet.
When the HM didn't happen, we made the decision to do the Full. I finished the race but it didn't feel right so when they released early registration, I signed up for Goofy 2018. The HM will be my do-over race and the Full would be to enjoy the Disney experience.

What keeps me motivated to run is the way it makes me feel. I always start off a run / race thinking "Why?!? This was a stupid idea." but once I get going and finish, I feel a sense of accomplishment and definitely that "runner's high". My husband thinks it's an addiction LOL.

Why runDisney? Cause it's Disney and I love everything Disney!

Just wanted to pop in and share how good it felt to run my 6 easy miles today. My running has been disrupted over the last 2 weeks, and I just got back home after my Mom's service. I've rearranged and edited the last bunch of runs to get in what I think I need. Tomorrow I do my final 16 and then will "resume my regularly scheduled programming" (I hope).

But today's miles just felt nice. Overcast, still, 30's, slushy roads--no major ice. It was so pleasant that it made me appreciate how nice it is to run some easy miles.

Figured you guys would "get it"

Just wanted to pop in and share how good it felt to run my 6 easy miles today. My running has been disrupted over the last 2 weeks, and I just got back home after my Mom's service. I've rearranged and edited the last bunch of runs to get in what I think I need. Tomorrow I do my final 16 and then will "resume my regularly scheduled programming" (I hope).

But today's miles just felt nice. Overcast, still, 30's, slushy roads--no major ice. It was so pleasant that it made me appreciate how nice it is to run some easy miles.

It's awesome when you just get out there and you can just enjoy an easy run.

Most everyone in my small group at church is going to marathon weekend. We have one couple that's newer to running and they will be doing the marathon. They did there 20 miler this weekend and crushed it. I get so excited when I see friends have major accomplishments like that.

I'm jealous of everyone's Dopey simulations this weekend. I got to work at church sunday morning so I wound up doing 17.5 Sat and 9 Sunday. I'm going to shoot for 12.5/20 next weekend. (Nothing says Merry Christmas like not being able to easily walk up and down stairs.)

A little late for the Sunday question, but here goes. I run because I feel better about myself & the world around me when I do. Life is hard and running gives me an escape from the daily struggles, plus I just like to compete with myself. I love trying to push back Father Time. I always wanted to complete a marathon, so when I decided to do one, Disney was my first choice. After finishing in 2012, I knew that there was no way that I could be "one and done" running at Disney. So now it's become an annual event. Good luck to everyone and I hope it's magical for us all!

I tried to get my 12 mile run in yesterday, knowing with the holiday then leaving for Disney the following weekend I probably wouldn't get anymore long runs in before race day. Well, it definitely didn't go as planned, but at least it wasn't totally my fault. I headed out, beautiful day of upper 20's - low 30's at run time, and realized zero pathways were cleared from the inch or two of snow we had Friday night and it was crusty and really lumpy snow cover. I tried to power through, was much slower than usual but still moving and about 4.5 miles in on my out and back the pathway went from sort of cleared but not great to not even attempted to be cleared and horrible. I turned around and headed back and I totally lost mojo. Ankles and hips were getting sore from the uneven ground I was trying to run on (I guess trail running is a no go for me) and I was just spent mentally. I called it, started walking the 4.5 miles home figuring I was at least getting miles on my feet but reducing the chance of potential injury with my clumsy self. Felt defeated but then realized if the conditions would have allowed I would have had no issues doing that run, so I felt a tad better. The roads themselves were actually totally clear but really busy traffic wise so it was almost worse because I was looking at this beautiful clear road but didn't want to get run over so I didn't dare try to run on it. There are bike paths for a reason next to those particular roads! It is a good thing I have had numerous 10+ mile runs in the last few months where I am not worried about finishing the half. I just really wanted a decent final long run to feel good about. Oh well! Hitting the dreadmill hard the next week and a half as I am not risking that outdoor disaster again. I guess my taper has started a bit earlier than anticipated! This girl is totally ready for Florida weather, no matter what that weather turns out to be, it is almost guaranteed to be better than Minnesota. I will say I am really done with winter running, and after WDWMW I think it is time for a bit of a break!

TAPER!!!!!!!!! :banana: Final Dopey sim is done: 3/5.5/12/22 First three days read like a "What NOT To Do On Race Day": poor shoe picks, questionable food choices, cranky body parts thanks to weather changes. I set out for my 22 expecting not to do more than 2 because everything was so tight and sore when I woke up, but somehow, the more I ran, the more muscles relaxed and felt better, so I kept going and got it done. My only grievance was the infernal sun here in FL: the last hour was scorching and felt a lot like an August run, not Dec. I applied sunscreen before heading out, and twice more during my run, and still got very tan and a bit pink - my race advice is to bring sunscreen and USE IT! :thumbsup2

The reality is that you have so many runners doing their own thing, any time during the race may turn out to be an ideal window.
You have folks trying to PR, those that stop at every photo op, ride rides, drink beer, visit with family spectating, run/walking, etc.
So very much, this! ^ 2016 marathon I started in J and spent the first half feeling like I was in a constant battle to run my own pace - I stopped for a few pics in AK and when I left, I found myself in a better place within the crowd. It's all rather hit-or-miss, and I find that if I'm in a "bad" spot within those 25,000 runners, it's worth slowing down or making a pit stop to fall in with a different crowd.

I’d heard it was cold last year, but it seems everyone was caught off guard. Did the forecast change or did everyone just pack assuming Florida would be hot?
I live 90 miles west of WDW and this time of year I'm constantly checking the weather because cold fronts pop in quickly and what I wear on a daily basis changes according to each day's forecast. Up until a few days out, we were anticipating a very warm marathon - it was very late in the game that a cold front suddenly entered the picture, and then it wasn't expected to be super cold. So I added some cool weather options to my bag before leaving home, but nothing for bitter cold, and I incorrectly assumed I'd warm up quickly and not want anything too hot. I did shed a couple layers during the race, but could have used at least one more layer for the first 5 miles! Lesson learned: I'll be bringing ALL the options this time :)

WDW Marathon Pros: For spectators wanting to view us in WS, which are the best countries to hang-out in front of?
I don't recommend MX, only because it's a tight squeeze through there and gets pretty congested with runners and park-goers. Any of the others are good picks, but Germany, Italy and America tend to be very open, which makes it easier to see your runners and vice-versa.

What motivates you to run and why runDisney?
My boring answer is that running feels good and helps keep me healthy - that's it, really. And runDisney because it's slow-runner-friendly, is held in one of my favorite places, and is close enough that travel cost isn't a problem.

Last edited:
I hope the Atlanta airport figures out why they lost power yesterday! If that happened/happens on 1/3 I am in serious trouble! What a nightmare for all those people yesterday and today as they try to get where they were going. I am on Delta, which I usually love since I actually feel like I am on my way to WDW with a layover in Atlanta instead of Dallas or Houston (or last year, Chicago!) from Little Rock and that is Delta's hub.

I hope the Atlanta airport figures out why they lost power yesterday! If that happened/happens on 1/3 I am in serious trouble! What a nightmare for all those people yesterday and today as they try to get where they were going. I am on Delta, which I usually love since I actually feel like I am on my way to WDW with a layover in Atlanta instead of Dallas or Houston (or last year, Chicago!) from Little Rock and that is Delta's hub.
This morning I heard it was a fire that took out 2 stations - the regular power station AND the back-up one. Seems like a pretty rare thing - fingers crossed for you!!

I hope the Atlanta airport figures out why they lost power yesterday!
I believe it was due to a fire caused by construction. Sounds like it was a complete disaster and chaos at times!!! My twitter feed was filled with stories of people stuck for hours and hours. I really can't even imagine, yikes! Here's to smooth flying from here on!

We do get it.

Enjoy the easy miles. Hoping the 'regularly scheduled programming' goes as planned.

I'm hoping it's boring non-dramatic regularly scheduled programming, which I tend to take for granted until it's not available.

2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List v2017_12_16

Alright, attached you will find the current version of the 2018 Marathon Weekend DIS List! Please review your information for mistakes/errors. Also, please let me know if you have any follow-up questions. When I get more runners info, I'll update it again. Currently we have:

5k - 51 runners (37 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
10k - 53 runners (39 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
HM - 64 runners (39 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)
M - 81 runners (63 yes/maybe to the pre-race meet!)

Excited to share the race course with you all!

Thanks for adding my wife to the list! Her name is Jen, and she will be dressed as follows...
5K: Pluto
10K: Minnie
Half: Donald
Full: Dopey bounding

Also, for the Full, we'll probably be towards the front of E.

Thank you so much for putting this together!

Doug

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter