Marathon Weekend 2017!

Do it! I have zero coordination on a treadmill (and not much on solid ground for that matter). If I'm not watching my feet or grabbing the rail, I'll get tripped up and eat it. So that...for more than a mile...no thanks. Bring on the cold. You warm up after the first couple miles anyway.
I did 18 miles on it a couple of days ago. I have to hold on to the front handle with one hand because I fear biting it too. It's not a death grip but still touch it to make sure I can zone out and still be facing forward. I think I learned it when I ran during a couple of cruises - the boat would move up and down a little, but enough that you had changes in your treadmill angle, so I always held on to make sure I would not fall over. Luckily I was facing forward with the ship, so not perpendicular to the motion or otherwise it would have been worse.

I did 18 miles on it a couple of days ago. I have to hold on to the front handle with one hand because I fear biting it too. It's not a death grip but still touch it to make sure I can zone out and still be facing forward. I think I learned it when I ran during a couple of cruises - the boat would move up and down a little, but enough that you had changes in your treadmill angle, so I always held on to make sure I would not fall over. Luckily I was facing forward with the ship, so not perpendicular to the motion or otherwise it would have been worse.

Are you kidding? Why didn't you run outside? Up until yesterday and today, the weather in Texas has been ideal for running.

Is it a pacing issue?

Are you kidding? Why didn't you run outside? Up until yesterday and today, the weather in Texas has been ideal for running.

Is it a pacing issue?
It's a convenience issue - I was at work and it was just easier to take off 3 hours during lunch to get it done. I guess I could have run around the NASA campus but I'm pretty sure someone from my office would see me and laugh, so I hide in the gym. Plus I can watch TV. :) But you are right, we have great running weather right now.

It's a convenience issue - I was at work and it was just easier to take off 3 hours during lunch to get it done. I guess I could have run around the NASA campus but I'm pretty sure someone from my office would see me and laugh, so I hide in the gym. Plus I can watch TV. :) But you are right, we have great running weather right now.

I hear ya. My buddy works top-secret at Lockheed and he tried to run outside and they thought he was a security risk. But he told them what he was training for and he got clearance to do it!

If it's because you think people would laugh, that's dumb. It's your goal, not theirs ... who cares what people think?

"Hide in the gym"? Classic! I run to hide FROM the gym!

btw, I've been having that butt pain - kind of worried it was sciatic nerve related - and I had gutted through the half marathon 3 weeks ago and my 10k last week. So, coming in to my 18 miler I was worried a lot - the pain is still there but AFTER the run it has been significantly less. Maybe doing run/walk instead of running helped things and taking 2 days off helped things. I just hope it all goes away soon, even though it won't help me return to form before Dopey, but at least I (hopefully) won't be in discomfort - other than the heavy breathing and sweating buckets.

If it's because you think people would laugh, that's dumb. It's your goal, not theirs ... who cares what people think?

Well, I have low self-esteem (probably)...my hope is that if I get in shape I'll be more confident, but being injured and slow right now makes me self-conscious. Eating ice cream for 3 meals a day probably is not helping.

Well, I have low self-esteem (probably)...my hope is that if I get in shape I'll be more confident, but being injured and slow right now makes me self-conscious. Eating ice cream for 3 meals a day probably is not helping.

The only thing that will make you confident and happy is ... you.

Do you want me to come and fight some NASA people? I've laid off plenty of them before, so this will just be me confronting them in a different manner.

:rotfl2:

The only thing that will make you confident and happy is ... you.

Do you want me to come and fight some NASA people? I've laid off plenty of them before, so this will just be me confronting them in a different manner.

:rotfl2:
If you can fire all of the Astronauts then I would appreciate that very much - then maybe I can take their place. Heck, I'm pretty sure I'm in better shape than half of them. Bastards! (I'm not jealous...much).

So who's not looking forward to those temperatures next week? This guy! Oh and 2-4 inches of snow on Saturday with the possibility for more on Sunday and Monday. Looks like the treadmill will be my friend.

It was -9 this morning, so my 10 miles of intervals was on the treadmill. Not fun, but that cold just doesn't work for my lungs

btw, I've been having that butt pain - kind of worried it was sciatic nerve related - and I had gutted through the half marathon 3 weeks ago and my 10k last week. So, coming in to my 18 miler I was worried a lot - the pain is still there but AFTER the run it has been significantly less. Maybe doing run/walk instead of running helped things and taking 2 days off helped things. I just hope it all goes away soon, even though it won't help me return to form before Dopey, but at least I (hopefully) won't be in discomfort - other than the heavy breathing and sweating buckets.
This is a regular thing with me, and it is toed to my sciatic nerve. I just relax as much as I can during the run. Even when it is bad during runs (it has been for the last few weeks, for instance), it really doesn't bother me otherwise. Now, when I have a real flare up, I am in pain constantly and have a hard time even sleeping. But running has never caused a flare up for me. If anything, it helps me get past them.

If it's like almost the middle of your butt cheek than it could be piriformis syndrome, which can put pressure on your sciatic nerve causing pain higher up (for me it's a burning feeling if it's sciatic pain too) The piriformis is a sharp pain & you can feel the knot so you need to work it out with Active release treatment. It wont' just go away. Rolling helps too & certain stretches. Takes months to heal and even then you have to keep up stretches. I did Dopey with it this year so took walk breaks to help it & used lots of tiger balm. The piriformis is mostly gone now if I'm careful & stretch, but I do still get sciatic flare ups at times but not necessarily from running.

Last edited:
Your slow is other folks fast (or even dream pace). You should not be self-conscious about it at all.
maybe it's the extra pounds (from sitting around in a walking boot for 8 weeks) is what is making me self-conscious. But you are right, I have nothing to complain about speed, just hoping after the Dopey that 2017 will be injury free and I can actually have real races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter