Making WDW Special for a 6 year old

Captain UP

Mouseketeer
Hey all! My daughter is *gulp* 18 now so Disney is super easy with her.

BUT...on our next trip in June, we are taking alone my six year old niece (with her dad, my brother).

It's been SO many years for me with this age range- any advice/thoughts about special things we could do for her beyond the regular?

FYI: We are staying at AKL and will be there for seven days.

Thanks so much in advance- you guys never fail!

What is she into? Does she like princesses? Obviously you can do CRT/Akershus. Bibbidi bobbidi boutique. Plan a rest day and play at the pool? Budget for a bubble blower/balloon. Personalized ears? Is it her first trip? Make sure to get her a first trip button. Character breakfast at Tusker house. Make sure she has an autograph book.

What is she into? Does she like princesses? Obviously you can do CRT/Akershus. Bibbidi bobbidi boutique. Plan a rest day and play at the pool? Budget for a bubble blower/balloon. Personalized ears? Is it her first trip? Make sure to get her a first trip button. Character breakfast at Tusker house. Make sure she has an autograph book.
Thank you! All great stuff. I think bare minimum, one character meal will be happening here!

This might not be what most will say but here goes. If she has never to WDW before, the trip itself is most likely going to be way more than enough. She won't need all the extras, it might even be a tad overwhelming. Six is just about a perfect age to just enjoy the parks and maybe a swim day or even every afternoon a few hours at the pool. If she is really into meeting the princesses, then yes, a character meal or you could break down and buy Genie+ to get LLs for meet and greets. Otherwise, she isn't going to need all the bells and whistles for the first trip.

This might not be what most will say but here goes. If she has never to WDW before, the trip itself is most likely going to be way more than enough. She won't need all the extras, it might even be a tad overwhelming. Six is just about a perfect age to just enjoy the parks and maybe a swim day or even every afternoon a few hours at the pool. If she is really into meeting the princesses, then yes, a character meal or you could break down and buy Genie+ to get LLs for meet and greets. Otherwise, she isn't going to need all the bells and whistles for the first trip.
That's a really excellent point. Thank you!

I agree with PP. I wouldn't go overboard and over schedule the trip. WDW is a lot even without planning any extras. I would pick one character meal, maybe do Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique if she is interested in princesses/dressing up and I would plan a pool day if she likes to swim (plus the parks can be exhausting, IMHO). AKL, itself, has a lot of activities and seeing the animals is a lot of fun. As PP mentioned, pick-a-pearl in the Japan pavilion in EP is a lot of fun if she likes jewelry.

I agree with PP. I wouldn't go overboard and over schedule the trip. WDW is a lot even without planning any extras. I would pick one character meal, maybe do Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique if she is interested in princesses/dressing up and I would plan a pool day if she likes to swim (plus the parks can be exhausting, IMHO). AKL, itself, has a lot of activities and seeing the animals is a lot of fun. As PP mentioned, pick-a-pearl in the Japan pavilion in EP is a lot of fun if she likes jewelry.
Thanks! And a pool day is def worked into the schedule.

I agree to plan less and focus on the attractions, shows etc.

At Epcot go to the Kidcot stations at each country and collect the cards and stickers. Your first stop will give you a "suitcase" baggie.

Make sure you get the activities schedule when you check in. My kids loved all the activities at AKL when we stayed with them. Been awhile but they had a scavenger game to earn beads that made a bracelet - you learned about animals and places, cookie decorating, live music in lobby, night goggle to see the animals, storyteller by the fire then s'mores.

Here is a sample for Jambo ~

1708020740710.png

I agree to plan less and focus on the attractions, shows etc.

At Epcot go to the Kidcot stations at each country and collect the cards and stickers. Your first stop will give you a "suitcase" baggie.

Make sure you get the activities schedule when you check in. My kids loved all the activities at AKL when we stayed with them. Been awhile but they had a scavenger game to earn beads that made a bracelet - you learned about animals and places, cookie decorating, live music in lobby, night goggle to see the animals, storyteller by the fire then s'mores.

Here is a sample for Jambo ~

View attachment 834179
This is wonderful! Thanks- had no idea about the activities at AKL.

I just did Pick a Pearl in February, loved it. Also 54! They have jewelry cages for your pearl, but, much more cost effective options on Etsy. Many of the cages on Etsy will hold various size pearls, so it won't matter what size she gets. Honestly, I wish I would have thought about this before I bought my pearl cage at Disney. I didn't have a chain to wear it, so I really could have just brought it home and then shopped.

We stayed at AKL a number of years ago. My son was probably 9. He loved the pool and the activities. We were only there for a long weekend, so didn't get to do too many activities, but if we had more time, he would have loved it. One night there was a drum circle in the lobby!

Check out the night time safari ride. We didn't know about it ahead of time and all the nights were booked. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/enchanting-extras-collection/night-safari/
If you are going to Animal Kingdom Park they have Wilderness Explorers https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/wilderness-explorers/

When my son was younger I asked which characters did he want to see, we made those a priority. We also have pictures of him with ALL of those characters and autographs. It is a great memory to look back on.

I'm sure whatever you pick will be memorable!

SAY NO to Pick a Pearl! I don't understand the joy in slicing the flesh of an animal to obtain a piece of junk.

SAY NO to Pick a Pearl! I don't understand the joy in slicing the flesh of an animal to obtain a piece of junk.
IF YOU don't want to do it, then don't. As with all things there are choices to be made. My son's birthstone is pearl and my deceased MIL LOVED pearls, so I chose to do this for multiple reasons. Go rain on someone else's parade.

however...
Where do they get the pearls? Is it humane? Is it wasteful? Does cutting them open hurt them? Can I eat them? - The oysters are farmed specifically for the pearls. The pearls are REAL pearls, but they are not wild-found "natural" pearls. It will not hurt the oyster, they're already dead when they are in the tank in front of you.

One of the things my kids enjoyed most was getting to stay up late to watch fireworks with a treat. Do not overlook the simple joy of fireworks while chowing down on a mickey bar or giant cookie! Same goes for transportation to no where...ride the skyliner, boat, monorail for no reason!
Make use of the photopass photographers and get a couple good group shots and maybe an extra special pic of dad/daughter in front of the castle.

I didn't add any extras with my own kids for years, lol. There's already not enough time to do everything that is included with your resort stay and park ticket.

Snacks and a souvenir, yes. Paying for activities, no.

Might she enjoy pin trading with cast members? You can buy bulk Disney pins grab bag style, and then use the to trade. I've used mousepinsonline DOT com numerous times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter