Magic Kingdom Photos - 2

_DSC0234-X3.jpg

Chris - This photo really captures all the different things people do in the MK hub! And you might eventually convert me to full frame ( I assume that this is FF.)

Kathy, I went from APS-C (Sony NEX-7) to Full Frame last year (Sony A7r2). Here's my lists of pros and cons of FF (that mattered to me);

Pros

Better image quality that becomes more pronounced as you go higher up in ISO.

Better depth of field range. An f/4 lens looks like an f/2.8 in crop.

My A7r2 has a 42mp sensor and allows me to shoot in crop mode with 18-20mp (but that is more specific to the camera).

Cons

Generally more expensive - camera and lenses.

Bigger/heavier

I am very interested in seeing the next generation of APS-C cameras. Fuji's new one is pretty amazing and I know Sony will likely counter by year's end.

I feel you can get 90% of the IQ of a FF with a cropped camera. That extra 10% costs a lot of money and subtracts convenience. For a pro (I've done a few paid portraits but photography is far from my full time job) it's worthwhile.
If you like shooting wide open (which I do) it may be worth it. If you like printing your photos bigger than an 8X10 it's probably worth it.

If you photos are mostly for memories and posting online - not sure it is worth it, unless you really have to scratch that FF itch. I would suggest renting a FF camera and lens first.

I love my A7r2 but I still use my NEX-7 especially for quick trips and such. I've also started using my phone more (Google Pixel 2). For the amateur/enthusiast I think FF is luxury that is nice to have but not a "must have".

And yes, that was shot on my FF A7r2 with the excellent Zeiss Batis 18mm 2.8 lens. That lens runs $1,500. I rented it for our last Disney trip.

Last edited:

Kathy, I went from APS-C (Sony NEX-7) to Full Frame last year (Sony A7r2). Here's my lists of pros and cons of FF (that mattered to me);

Pros

Better image quality that becomes more pronounced as you go higher up in ISO.

Better depth of field range. An f/4 lens looks like an f/2.8 in crop.

My A7r2 has a 42mp sensor and allows me to shoot in crop mode with 18-20mp (but that is more specific to the camera).

Cons

Generally more expensive - camera and lenses.

Bigger/heavier

I am very interested in seeing the next generation of APS-C cameras. Fuji's new one is pretty amazing and I know Sony will likely counter by year's end.

I feel you can get 90% of the IQ of a FF with a cropped camera. That extra 10% costs a lot of money and subtracts convenience. For a pro (I've done a few paid portraits but photography is far from my full time job) it's worthwhile.
If you like shooting wide open (which I do) it may be worth it. If you like printing your photos bigger than an 8X10 it's probably worth it.

If you photos are mostly for memories and posting online - not sure it is worth it, unless you really have to scratch that FF itch. I would suggest renting a FF camera and lens first.

I love my A7r2 but I still use my NEX-7 especially for quick trips and such. I've also started using my phone more (Google Pixel 2). For the amateur/enthusiast I think FF is luxury that is nice to have but not a "must have".

And yes, that was shot on my FF A7r2 with the excellent Zeiss Batis 18mm 2.8 lens. That lens runs $1,500. I rented it for our last Disney trip.

Thank you for the excellent info Chris! Your pros and cons match what I have been reading about FF so I will probably stick with my current Canon for a couple more years (not to mention DH would explode if I even mentioned a new camera :rolleyes1). Also, I rarely need larger than 8 x 10 although I do print larger canvases sometimes. I keep forgetting about lens rentals; at this point I know that it's the glass that's holding me back (and my ingrained practice of centering objects in my photos o_O).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter