Looks like I’m about to LOSE the value of my 200 points!

carolynkCA

Earning My Ears
Can anyone provide more information here?
I have 200 points that will expire on Aug 1, 2020. I was booked at Grand California but now that will obviously be canceled by Disney. They are not willing to allow an extension so I can use my points after Aug. 1st. It will be virtually impossible to use them by then with all that is going on right now. They will not budge! Am I the only one having this problem? I’m so disappointed as a DVC owner since 2008 I expected more than this.

I have 200 points that will expire on Aug 1, 2020. I was booked at Grand California but now that will obviously be canceled by Disney. They are not willing to allow an extension so I can use my points after Aug. 1st. It will be virtually impossible to use them by then with all that is going on right now. They will not budge! Am I the only one having this problem? I’m so disappointed as a DVC owner since 2008 I expected more than this.

There are many threads about this on DISBoards. Here are just a few of them:

https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...g-if-they-cancel-a-points-reservation.3798567
https://www.disboards.com/threads/lost-dvc-points.3796892
https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...r-points-because-of-disneys-closures.3797906/
DVC isn't budging.

Have they previously been banked from a prior year? People will come on and say, why didn't you cancel prior to March 31st, when you could have banked them (if they are current use year points)

I'm losing about 200 points with June UY. No dice from Disney.

I don't fall for that DVC nomenclature crap which most of the loyalists are singing here till they lose their points. For me its Disney who I'm dealing with period. DVC is just an operating company.
That’s what I want to do as well. Have you had any luck and where are you going, in terms of speaking with the reps at Disney? All I’ve found is the Member Services people and they say they are powerless.

Tv
We are in the same position. Booked at poly late May 200 points. Aug 2019 use year. Today we are now five days past banking window, they will not budge. I was told even if they are still closed during this trip they will not bank as people that had trips March and April are experiencing the same loss. I’m just praying that DVC will figure something out to make this better even if they don’t end up allowing banking. I understand the issues that could arise if they allow late banking for those of us affected but I’m also wondering if they can figure out an alternative. Not sure. Just planning to wait and see what they come up with at this point.

That’s what I want to do as well. Have you had any luck and where are you going, in terms of speaking with the reps at Disney? All I’ve found is the Member Services people and they say they are powerless.

the rep we spoke to said they are getting inundated with calls from March, April and May bookings and their hands are so far tied. She said they are passing along feedback to the higher ups. I requested our feedback go on the record and I followed up with an email. I think the main issue is they don’t know how long this is going to stretch so they are waiting to make decisions until they have a concrete reopen date. That’s just a guess. I asked on the phone with the rep if they had made exceptions to late banking for others during this and she told me yes they had but could not anymore. So that is an issue as well. If they allowed it for some but not all that’s a problem.

As @starry_solo posted, there are already several threads out there about this exact issue. It's not as simple as just allowing you to keep your points. DVC is a timeshare. It doesn't operate the same way as a hotel.

As has been pointed out countless times on other threads, DVC requires taking on a level of risk, planning, and an understanding of how the system works to really utilize it properly. In exchange you get heavily discounted accomodations and an asset that is subject to capital appreciation (and depreciation).

While we are all sympathetic to those who are losing thousands of dollars worth of points during this pandemic, the ones who are clearly didn't understand how the rules worked (with an August Use Year, you could have cancelled and banked your points less than one week ago and lost nothing) and are now learning a harsh lesson.

Given the crisis that the world is going through, losing a couple thousand dollars worth of points is really not too bad. The lost income many are facing now is worth a lot more than a couple hundred points. The loss of loved ones is definitely worth a lot more than a couple hundred points.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound so harsh. I truly understand the frustration you must be going through, and trust me, if I were in your position I would be losing my mind. But take a deep breath, put it into perspective, and learn from your mistakes

No, you are not Alone. They came out with the policy right after they announced closing that no changes to banking would be allowed right now

They did say they are evaluating it, but have to take into consideration that any change won’t have a larger impact on the system,

Unfortunately, you missed the banking deadline last week.

I'm losing about 200 points with June UY. No dice from Disney.

I don't fall for that DVC nomenclature crap which most of the loyalists are singing here till they lose their points. For me its Disney who I'm dealing with period. DVC is just an operating company.

Actually, not accurate. I know some don’t want to hear this, but when you bought, you agreed to a product that Disney waived all liability for what happens.

That is not to say owners can’t express their concerns about it to DVC.

People will come on and say, why didn't you cancel prior to March 31st, when you could have banked them (if they are current use year points)
Why didn't you cancel prior to March 31st, when you could have banked them (if they are current use year points)?

Not trying to be snarky... just trying to understand because there are so many variables with the circumstances people are posting about.

When Disney announced closures, I can understand holding out hope that they would re-open in time to keep your reservation. But I can also see how DVC might consider that you were "on notice" about the current risks and had an opportunity to still bank your points.

Maybe DVC will eventually offer some compensation to those who missed banking deadlines due to closures (still a long shot based on what's in the contracts). However, if they were previously banked points, then I see little hope that they will allow them to be banked again.

Totally agree this is pretty disgraceful for Disney ........I am booked for July 19 for 2 weeks and a week in October at copper creek......dec use year so I will be able to bank the points in July I wont be able to use. But if I can’t get in October I will loose all the points.
i am flying from the UK so if international travel restrictions to the US are in place this will greatly affect me

disney need a clear response to dvc members who are impacted.

normal booking customers are getting benefit of being able to rebook and getting free dining plan for rebooking....what are dvc members getting? - their points lost !

Totally agree this is pretty disgraceful for Disney ........I am booked for July 19 for 2 weeks and a week in October at copper creek......dec use year so I will be able to bank the points in July I wont be able to use. But if I can’t get in October I will loose all the points.
i am flying from the UK so if international travel restrictions to the US are in place this will greatly affect me

normal booking customers are getting benefit of being able to rebook and getting free dining plan for rebooking....what are dvc members getting? - their points lost !

You really can’t look at cash guests and compare them to DVC. We are owners, and not customers of Disney when it comes to booking rooms.

DVC has come up with a decision. No changes to banking rules. While they did say they were evaluating, IMO, everyone should assume the rules will stay.

So, you will have to decide by July 31st for October...and at least 31 days ahead for July, in case they are no longer waiving holding points,

The good part for you is that by the time you have to make either decision, we should have an idea of opening dates, and if current rules regarding holding and borrowed points will stay in place.

But, as I said anyone with points still in their banking window or expiring points know that DVC is taking a hard line on that rule and should plan to protect as many of those points as they can.

A) they are offering the exact same deal for DVC members who's plans were cancelled.

B) Disney isn't profiting off of DVC points being lost the same way they would off of a cash reservation that they didn't allow to be cancelled. If Disney were to offer any sort of compensation, it would be a gesture of goodwill out of their own pockets. And for all we know they may end up doing something. Probably depends how long this lasts.

But I can also see how DVC might consider that you were "on notice" about the current risks and had an opportunity to still bank your points.
No, there was never really any "notice." Disney was tight-lipped about their decision to continue the closure past the April 1st date. They still have not conveyed any information other than they will be closed until further notice and they didn't make that decision until March 27th I think?

No, there was never really any "notice." Disney was tight-lipped about their decision to continue the closure past the April 1st date. They still have not conveyed any information other than they will be closed until further notice and they didn't make that decision until March 27th I think?
March 27th was before the banking deadline for August use years though.

I understand what you're saying about the "official" announcement of dates. But I was just meaning that it was reasonable to assume that Disney would likely have to extend closures beyond the initial announcement and some people still had the ability to bank if they chose to err on the side of caution.

March 27th was before the banking deadline for August use years though.

To add, by the March 31st deadline, DVC had communicated to all members that banking rules would be enforced.

So, owners knew that if a closure continued, keeping that reservation and canceling after banking, would mean expiring points,

I was one of those people and as I shared, would have taken the risk for May if my guests wanted to, They decided at the last minute that they didnt want to and I saved 60 points.

Had they waited, missed Banking , I would have had only myself to blame because it was a choice

Even our own president was saying a week ago he expected everything to begin opening by Easter. So a week ago it was reasonable to think that things were heading in the right direction and Disney would not still be closed in to May. Now it appears to be a very real possibility. Only time will tell. If Disney has announced by March 31 that they would not be opening until June 1 then I’m sure all August use year would have banked.

A clear response could be to read our contracts for the rules set forth and agreed to when we purchased a timeshare.

That way any possible, but barely to be even hoped for, kindness would be wonderful and a thing to be happy about. Rather than it being an unreasonable thing to expect.

I personally might tote up all the trips I have taken to see the financial value of them and think of the emotional value, and see that I’m far ahead of the game by now

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter