Looking for least expensive resort options for a family of 9.

davea84

Earning My Ears
We have 9 people planning to go to Disney in December 2020. My wife and I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. Her two parents are also going and (here's where our issue comes in) paying for my wife's sister, husband and 8 year old daughter to go also. Her parents are REALLY stretching their budget to pay for 4 adults and 1 child and we're trying to work out our least expensive options. Pop Century is our first choice, but they would need 2 rooms there as it will not allow 5 people per room. This puts them at a higher price than upgrading to a moderate resort with a pull down child bed. We even attempted to put their daughter in our room, since our 2 year old will be sleeping on a toddler cot and not using a bed, but we could not do that either. Caribbean Beach Resort would be our moderate choice as it is the least expensive moderate, as well as skyliner access but all the standard rooms were booked for the week we were planning to go and preferred rooms bump the cost up even further. I am now looking at standard rooms at Port Orleans Riverside, which is more expensive than a standard room at CBR, but still less than the preferred rooms there. Family suites won't hold 9 of us and it's more expensive than either of the two options if we can't all split one room.

I have also looked into renting DVC points, but that option does not save us enough money. We are planning around free dining (based on past dates with our fingers crossed for this year) and we would have to pay for dining if we rented points. Granted it would come out to roughly the same price and we'd be in a villa at a nicer resort, but it is slightly more money and we're trying to go for less. We considered staying off site as well, but after doing some math it does not save much money after figuring in the cost of paying for dining for 9 of us and we'd be giving up a LOT of perks to save a very small amount of money.

Are there any other options that I'm missing? Suggestions? We've thought about contacting Disney over the phone and seeing if it would be possible to explain that the 2 year old won't be sleeping in a bed and maybe getting them to work with us on allowing 2 adults and the 3 children to stay in one room, but I don't know if that's a possibility or not.

UPDATE: We WERE able to add our niece to our room at Pop Century after talking to Disney. 9 people in 2 value resort rooms is going to be a bit tight, but it'll work. We're all set, thank you to those who offered advice.

Last edited:
I think the last plan you mention is best option, actually. If your youngest was 3 it would be another story, but until then you should be fine with 5 in your room. It might just be that you have to book over the phone instead of online because you're confusing the website?

Your 2 year old has to be on your reservation. They count for fire code, but not towards the official room capacity.

That's all assuming that it's actually fine for the 8 and 5 year old to share a bed. 9 people in 2 value rooms is going to be on the tight side, but it's completely within Disney rules.

Have a great trip!

We have 9 people planning to go to Disney in December 2020. My wife and I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. Her two parents are also going and (here's where our issue comes in) paying for my wife's sister, husband and 8 year old daughter to go also. Her parents are REALLY stretching their budget to pay for 4 adults and 1 child and we're trying to work out our least expensive options. Pop Century is our first choice, but they would need 2 rooms there as it will not allow 5 people per room. This puts them at a higher price than upgrading to a moderate resort with a pull down child bed. We even attempted to put their daughter in our room, since our 2 year old will be sleeping on a toddler cot and not using a bed, but we could not do that either. Caribbean Beach Resort would be our moderate choice as it is the least expensive moderate, as well as skyliner access but all the standard rooms were booked for the week we were planning to go and preferred rooms bump the cost up even further. I am now looking at standard rooms at Port Orleans Riverside, which is more expensive than a standard room at CBR, but still less than the preferred rooms there. Family suites won't hold 9 of us and it's more expensive than either of the two options if we can't all split one room.

I have also looked into renting DVC points, but that option does not save us enough money. We are planning around free dining (based on past dates with our fingers crossed for this year) and we would have to pay for dining if we rented points. Granted it would come out to roughly the same price and we'd be in a villa at a nicer resort, but it is slightly more money and we're trying to go for less. We considered staying off site as well, but after doing some math it does not save much money after figuring in the cost of paying for dining for 9 of us and we'd be giving up a LOT of perks to save a very small amount of money.

Are there any other options that I'm missing? Suggestions? We've thought about contacting Disney over the phone and seeing if it would be possible to explain that the 2 year old won't be sleeping in a bed and maybe getting them to work with us on allowing 2 adults and the 3 children to stay in one room, but I don't know if that's a possibility or not.

You have mentioned all the options I would suggest. What I don't understand is, why you can't add the 8 yr. old to your room at CBR. The rooms without the Murphy Bed have a max occupancy of 4, plus 1 child under 3 yrs. old. Since your one child is only 2 you are good with occupancy. Who told you that you couldn't add the 8 yr. old to your room at CBR?

This! Two year old doesn't count.

Also, have you tried the cabins at Fort Wilderness?

I looked at the cabins, and they would be reasonably priced for us, except unfortunately they're excluded from the free dining offer. We would have to rent 2 of them AND pay for dining, so it's a no go.

You have mentioned all the options I would suggest. What I don't understand is, why you can't add the 8 yr. old to your room at CBR. The rooms without the Murphy Bed have a max occupancy of 4, plus 1 child under 3 yrs. old. Since your one child is only 2 you are good with occupancy. Who told you that you couldn't add the 8 yr. old to your room at CBR?

It's our room at Pop Century that we can't add the 8 year old to. At least not on the website, we're wondering if it's worth calling them and explaining our situation. We can't get all of us into 2 rooms at a value, forcing the upgrade to a moderate or purchasing 3 rooms which is what's making it borderline unaffordable for the in-laws.

Staying off site may be worth looking into. Check out Wyndham Bonnet Creek on Homeaway / Stayz. 3BR apartment sleeps 10 for $245/night in December

It's our room at Pop Century that we can't add the 8 year old to. At least not on the website, we're wondering if it's worth calling them and explaining our situation. We can't get all of us into 2 rooms at a value, forcing the upgrade to a moderate or purchasing 3 rooms which is what's making it borderline unaffordable for the in-laws.
Just call and add the 8-yr-old to your room. No need to explain anything, it is within policy. Unfortunately the website sometimes gets confused and counts the "infant" in the room.

Enjoy your vacation!

Call. Your two year old(if two at the time of travel) does not count toward room occupancy at any resort. There is no reason at all you cannot stay at Pop Century in two rooms. Do be aware that if there are over two adults if your room you are charged an extra nightly fee of $15 per person(just in case that hadn't figured into your math). If looking to keep the cost down, I would look at the all stars. They are cheaper than Pop and the only thing that is different is the lack of Skyliner. They are renovating all three to be just like Pop Century refurbishment wise.

I don't want to rain on your FD parade, but I want to warn you that the ADR's are generally limited. If you check out the bounce back offer or the historical dates FD has been offered for December you should have a decent idea what dates are generally included. I travel In December often but I am fairly flexible regarding my arrival date, and I stalk the boards to be sure to call as soon as an offer opens.

December is gorgeous though, so have fun!

I don't want to rain on your FD parade, but I want to warn you that the ADR's are generally limited. If you check out the bounce back offer or the historical dates FD has been offered for December you should have a decent idea what dates are generally included. I travel In December often but I am fairly flexible regarding my arrival date, and I stalk the boards to be sure to call as soon as an offer opens.

December is gorgeous though, so have fun!

Thanks. We're planning on arriving the 8th, which was during the FD window for the last 3 years, but we're prepared to flex a few days if we need to as long as we can leave for home by the 20th. I also know how hard dining reservations can be to book as we did free dining (in September) the last time my wife and I went. To be honest though, we're prepared to not be able to get the "best" restaurants if they're not available. I honestly don't think I've ever had a BAD meal at any Disney restaurant. They're all incredible compared to the usual Olive Garden, etc. that we typically get at home.

Also be prepared that your resort may not be avail for free dining and you may have to change that too

Isn't "free dining" at POP typically the quick-service plan? So ADRs won't really be an issue unless you plan to pay to upgrade to the standard dining plan or pay OOP for some meals. You'll want to keep that in mind with your budgeting.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you all, we were able to add her to our room by calling them. Problem solved. Her parents can easily afford paying for them all at Pop Century if they're only purchasing one room. We even splurged on preferred rooms now that our biggest issue is solved.
Yay! That's great! Pop Century is awesome. Its a newly refurbished resort....2 queen beds. Which is great, as before the refurb they had double beds. That would've been a tight squeeze. :crowded: Also, Pop has the skyliner, super convenient. Dont forget to walk across the bridge over to Art/Animation. I love using their food court and just checking out the resort. So beautifully themed!

Congrats on getting it all worked out, just shows it pays to work those numbers. Did you look into a discounted room and not getting free dining? I ask because doesn't the free dining only include QS and required PHs? If you were planning on getting PHs to start with that wouldn't be an issue but if you were not planning on hopping, it might be less to get a discounted room, buy your one day tickets from a third party vendor like Undercover Tourist and pay for food out of pocket. Just another alternative to consider, and you might have already run the numbers on that.

Definitely still MUCH cheaper than paying for an extra room or upgrading to a moderate resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter