• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Least crowded month that you’ve been to WDW poll

What month has been the least crowded that you have been to wdw

• Total voters
September- but to be fair our only September trip was right after Hurricane Irma. I think they reopened the airport on Tuesday and our flight in was on Thursday. multiple same day fast passes for FOP!!

Second place would be January, although it's been a bit too cold for us the couple times we've gone then.

Dec'09, second week I believe. I was a great trip We went to our first MVMPC and it was very manageable
Also had a great time late April 2016 into first week of May. another great trip.
Such happy memories, oh now
Im sad now :sad1: thinking of what was :sad1:

I have been: first week of March, mid-March, late June, mid-July, first week of August and December 17-23.

Of those the least crowded times were #1-first of March and #2 December 17-23.

We've been in late January and mid September and they were basically the same as far as crowds go. If I had to choose one, I'd pick January bc the weather was basically perfect.
You just have to be careful bc you do have a few major crowd spikes in January you wont want to get mixed up in.

***Very close to this however was late April. I havent really seen it mentioned. Late April seems to be a spring break/Easter hangover period where the crowds go from a level 10 to a level 2. The weather is hot but not too hot like you get in the summer.

I am affraid that with the virus having shut everything down that people are going to be itching to go once it reopens. So I personally dont think we'll see a low crowd season for a long time once they reopen.

I'm so glad you said this because I was going to ask about late April to mid May time frame. I've always thought that that time frame would be less crowded, and that's because by late April most public school's, as well as colleges and universities, spring breaks would have already happened.

The week of and after Labor Day. The weather can be a disaster, but we love the heat. Far and away the lowest crowds. 20 minutes is a long line this time of year, even for Tier 1 rides.

Early January is also great, but the weather can be a disaster, and we hate the cold. Used to be worth it because of the Osborne Lights - not any more.

The week after Thanksgiving is also great. Weather much better than January. Moderate crowds. MVMCP. A great time to go.

Vote for March/April having the lowest crowds & best weather combo

Hey Disney friends. :earsboy: I voted for December especially the first week. This is December 2, 2008. Beautiful weather and low crowds
Nice pic! The first week has gotten busier, especially when it’s hitting start of Pop Warner. Very popular with DVC members due to lower point requirements.

We’ve moved it back to arriving the Friday after Thanksgiving, a great way to start the Xmas season.

So Early October before Columbus Day has been alright. Columbus Day is insane. Later in the month it’s busy but not crazy.
We moved our Columbus Day trip back a week last two years, it’s much better. This year supposed to start on 9/26, even earlier than in the past, so hoping for less crowds

But Feb 2020 was the single busiest month on record, according to Touring Plans.
It's a shame WDW lost that momentum (business-wise). RoR and other updates had guests coming in droves. The WDW buzz was at the highest I've ever seen within my own circle of friends & family. Almost everybody was trying to get there sometime soon. Then Boom. Coronacircus. The crowds were seriously getting out of hand though.

We've done 4 trips the end of Jan into Feb. 2006 felt like CL 1-3; 2017 like a 6-7. Not empty like the old days.

I'd pick the week after Thanksgiving, late April or early May. Any week with good weather and lower crowds. Arrive late Monday, leave the following Wed night. Take longer trips less often to save money since it's gotten so expensive. 9 day cheaper ticket pkg, plus more days that aren't busy weekend crowds (and Mon/Tues/Wed often have cheaper flights too). Tues & Wed seem to average the lowest overall crowds so doubling up on them in WDW is sweet!

The week between Run Disney and MLK weekend in January has been the week I have gone the past couple of years. Usually the Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday of that week is very light crowds (relatively speaking). But it can be cold!

It was a toss-up for me between May and September, but I chose May, specifically early to mid-May. I would have chosen January, but we visited in January this year and it was mobbed.
Same here - I’d say these are the least 2 crowded months the last few years -

September, especially if you are doing 7 days+ and can "afford" to lose a day or two to a Hurricane threat XD Last year pre-Dorian was the most glorious Disney experience of my life: Space Mountain 3 times in a row w/ no wait, 10 minute queue for SDMT, multiple SDD rides in 1 afternoon, and the best way to experience Galaxy's Edge. Granted, as others have said, that's a huge anomaly, but it is worth it for the low crowds.

The week after Labor Day - I rode Tower of Terror by myself! That was the most dead I'd ever seen HS, but that was before Galaxy's Edge opened. I have DVC points rented to go again this Labor Day week, but not sure if I will be canceling at this point.

Disney is such a draw for people from all over the world there is probably no longer a specific time when it is less crowded. We went in early May last year and some of the parks were wall to wall people so I can't imagine it being any more crowded and on some days it was REALLY hot. YEARS ago we liked going in the early Spring or after Labor Day since the weather was more pleasant and smaller crowds. Seemed people were less likely to pull their kids out of school for a vacation right after the school year started. Now however, I don't think there is any specific time to consistently find 'lower' crowds. Disney is almost always busy and the various events and specials are arranged to fill in times Disney thinks will be slower.

Unless you narrow the survey to the past year of two, I don't think you will get meaningful results.

I put January, but that trip was in 1999. So, everything was less crowded. I only go at crowded times now due to being a teacher. But that January trip so long ago was incredible. If they had FastPasses then, we didn't know it and we didn't need them. Never waited more than 10-15 minutes for any ride and walked right onto most. This was late January, I think.
We had a few January/February trips back in the day that were awesome--they had the paper FPs back then (which I liked better than the new system), but as you say they often weren't necessary because the wait was minimal for most rides. I really blame the Internet for the fact that there really is no slow time now. Everyone has access to guides and websites that all said go in the offseason, leading to no offseason existing.

I’m going to have to try a September trip to WDW! I have been seven times since 2013:
November, 2013 (Least crowded)
November, 2014
September, 2016 (DLR)
January, 2017 (Second least crowded)
September, 2018 (DLR)
January, 2019 (Most crowded)
September, 2019 (DLP)

Pete said on the DIS Unplugged that he would put his mother in a Disney resort for a hurricane, so I wouldn’t mind rolling the dice on a September trip.

We had a few January/February trips back in the day that were awesome--they had the paper FPs back then (which I liked better than the new system), but as you say they often weren't necessary because the wait was minimal for most rides. I really blame the Internet for the fact that there really is no slow time now. Everyone has access to guides and websites that all said go in the offseason, leading to no offseason existing.
Agree on paper fast passes! My two September trips to DLR were amazing for paper fast passes, we probably hit two dozen in one trip. There’s so much more availability when they’re not booked in advance, and we were getting ones that were available immediately. I understand that WDW has more international visitors who require advance planning, but I prefer the paper fast passes on the West Coast. Plus California is beautiful in September with low crowds and Halloween overlays.

Deni wrote an article on making a Disney recipe at home that was very well done, perhaps she could host a DIY Disney at Home show?
(Please ignore - I replied to the wrong thread)

Yep, agree about February. We used to go in February & the parks were blissfully dead, recently February has been crazy!
Sadly, we won’t be going that month again.

Our first trip as a family was at the end of Feburary, first part of March 2016. The weather was great and the parks were almost empty. So empty that when we ate lunch at the table area in The Land, there was only one other family in there with us! I really wish we could find that magical time again!

Since then, we've been two other times in early February. Once it was very crowded, once not so much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter