Laurie's journal - Atkins plan (comments welcome)

LAinSEA

Meowmy to Tuxedo Cats
I turned 40 on Nov. 16th. It was a milestone not only in years, but self-evaluation. I look and feel terrible. My attitude is not much better. I know everyone has a year or two throughout their life that they'd just like to pretend didn't exist and I'm afraid this one is turning out to be one of my top 3.

My DH worked for the Boeing Company as a business analyst/computing analyst. We dodged a layoff notice on Dec. 23rd last year only to postpone it until the end of Oct. this year. He's been employed at Boeing for 16 years - never worked anywhere else and he's taking it very hard.

We have been married 15 1/2 years and were high school and college sweethearts before that. We been together about 2/3's of our lives. We have 3 tuxedo cats (age 17 1/2, 5 1/2 and 20 months) and lost another to HCM before she reached her first birthday 2 years ago and still miss her dearly. We also have two nieces that we adore but don't get to visit with as much as we'd like (they now live in Utah). We haven't had children of our own.

I do graphics for FOX Sports Net NW/Detroit and live events graphics for football, basketball, baseball, horseracing and other sports. Since my DH lost his job, I've tried to pick up as much freelance work as possible. I work 10-12 hour days, 4 to 6 days a week...and usually end up grabbing a fast-food salad or small burger. I have to sit for long periods of time when I'm working with very little breaks. With my long commute (about an hour each way) I have little time for exercise.

My husband took me out for dinner at my favorite restaurant - Stanley & Seaforts in Tacoma - for my birthday. At dinner I told him that I wanted to go back to low-carb eating. (We had both tried Atkins in 1999 and had success - about 30 lbs each - before our doctor said this plan was not good for DH's high blood pressure and cholesterol. We both started eating as the doctor suggested, low-cal, low-fat, low-salt and it didn't take long for us to gain all the weight we'd lost back - and for me to put on about 20 lbs more. I'd just changed from a winter job where I taught skiing full-time to a job where I had to sit 8-10 hours per day.)

My DH said he'd support my efforts and also go back on the plan himself. However, since he felt better on about 40 carbs per day after induction and still was able to lose weight steadily he wanted to start there for himself. I agreed as long as those 20 extra carbs didn't find there way into my mouth too. He does most of our cooking at home - he enjoys it. He is now preparing my brunch/dinner/snacks for me with me to work.

From Nov. 17th through Thanksgiving weekend - we started eating low-carb (somewhere between 20 and 30 carbs/day) but didn't start Atkins induction knowing that Thanksgiving at his father's would derail our efforts. (FIL would NOT understand that skipping the potatos, stuffing & pie is on the plan and take it personally...even though he's somewhere between 100-150 lbs overweight himself.) We both had small servings of the worst carb offenders - but my physcial reaction to these about an hour after dinner was horrible. I got the worst headache that know painreliever would touch, my skin felt like it was crawling and my heart was racing...I felt like I was on some powerful narcotic. I didn't sleep at all that night. Wow what a wakeup call!

We went back to low-carb eating the day after Thanksgiving and I've felt much better since. We start "induction" strictly today.

Welcome to the wonderful world of journaling! I'm new here too. Today is Day 3 for me and my husband. We are on the South Beach diet. I just wanted to give you some encouragement. SB doesn't have induction but does have what's called Phase I which I believe is similar to induction. Since you've been down this road before, you know what to expect and I just wanted to say that I know you can do it!

I can relate to your husband's job situation. My firm has had 1 major and 2 minor layoffs in the past year and a half. My department has been trimmed from 21 to 3 people. Not fun to say the least but I'm happy I still have a job. The bad part is, we all wonder if the cuts are over or not.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and let you know that I'll be checking your progress, especially because our programs are so similar and I could use some support too. If you want, please stop by my journal, it's called "Lisa's Life on the Beach" or something like that. Have a great first day of induction!!!

I thought I'd jot down my meals (without getting into the carb details) to help me keep track.

Sat. Nov. 29: brunch - 2 eggs scrambled, 4 slices bacon; snack - cheese coljack & havarti, handful of hazel nuts; dinner - roasted brussel sprouts, seafood salad with shrimp, bleu cheese dressing, egg. (made up some deviled eggs for Sunday...had one as snack) A little more diet coke than I should and a whole lot of water!

Sun. Nov. 30: brunch - 2 deviled eggs (4 halves); out-and-about for lunch - Taco Time regular chicken taco salad w/sour cream dressing; dinner - rib steaks & broccoli w/butter. Diet Coke and lots of water!

Mon. Dec. 1: brunch - small Hass avacado, left-over roasted brussel sprouts, samples of two soups my husband made up for me to take to work, cream of watercress and bleu cheese & bacon soup; snack at my parents - small handful of almonds; dinner at my parents - green salad with bleu cheese dressing & inside of chicken verde enchiladas made with heavy whipping cream; snack at home before bed - slice of havarti. Diet coke & lots of water.

Tues. Dec. 2 "day one induction": brunch - salmon lox roll-ups with cream cheese & little bit of minced dill pickle; snack - cream of watercress soup (in Atkins cookbook); snack - string cheese; dinner - spinach salad with oil & vinegar dressing, parmasan cheese & egg; snack before bed - 4 slices of salami. Diet coke (I know gotta get off the caffiene) and lots of water!.

- You may notice I have a strange schedule; my work day starts at noon and I'm off (usually) at 10:30pm. I'm not hungry until I get to work...when the "caffiene headache" usually starts.

Hi Laurie!

Just wanted to say that from your meal plan it sounds like you are off to a great start. Will you be able to work in any exercise along the way?

Keep up the great work and have a wonderful cheat free day!!!!

P.S. I just love that string cheese!

Day 2 menu: breakfast - Breve with dash of sugar-free syrup on the drive to work (needed the caffeine, had a press conf. to be there for and an hour 1/2 drive prior to a 9am start) & 2 string cheese when I got there - the "real" diet coke got opened right after that; lunch - Boss took a group of us out to lunch at Applebee's - halfsize steakhouse salad (hold the bread) & Ice Tea; snack - bleu cheese, bacon & mushroom soup (from Atkins cookbook, we have decided this is not a good one for re-heating); dinner - potroast (from Deb Carpender's low-carb cookbook) & small romaine salad w/bleu cheese dressing, "fake" diet coke; snack - few slices of salami. Lots of water throughout the day.

Work day from 9am to 10:45pm (left house at 7:25am, home at 11:30pm) - got in 2 ten minute brisk walks during the work day. No breaks longer than those 2 ten minute walks from 1pm to 10:45pm. Fell into bed exhausted!

Yeah I know, more exercise and less caffeine!

Day 3 menu: brunch - "real" diet coke, string cheese; snack - cream of watercress soup (again very good), harvati & salami, dinner - stuffed green pepper (beef & pork sausage, cheese) & spinach salad w/parmasan, egg & oil & vinegar dressing, "fake" diet coke; lots of water.

To tough to get in even a little exercise in the work schedule today - I will do my pilates DVD when I get home before bed (I promise).

Hi Laurie, welcome to WISH! Just wanted to take a moment to say that with perserverence and the encourgement of the nice folks on this forum, you'll do well. I'm also doing Atkins and have been since August. I won't get into any details about myself because this is your journal. Just know that you'll probably learn fairly quickly that this is like a support group that you can come to any time, day or night at your convenience (even in your jammies) and it'll help you immensely to be able to share a common goal with others. If you're so inclined, feel free to read my journal. It's under "Lisa's Atkins Journal.":D

Castillo Mom (and others) thanks so much for your encouragement.

I've been "snooping" through everyones journals and gleening very important hints - get moving and keep eating!

I didn't get to my pilates tape last night after work - my sorry excuse, there was a wreck on the road on the way home that made the drive an extra 20-30 minutes with the rain and wind. I was exhausted and fell into bed. The good thing was that I was NOT hungry when I got home - even though DH tempted me with his new "curried" deviled eggs (OK I tried one before collasping).

I read in the new Glamour magazine this morning an account of a gal who'd lost 150 lbs...when she hit a plateau (after losing 100 lbs) her nutritionist said to add more fat to her diet and eat something every 3 hours. She had been on a low-cal, low-fat diet. It was a really good article.

well back to work...

thanks so much again and again.

Day 4 menu: brunch - "curried" deviled eggs, string cheese, diet coke; snack at 4:30pm stuffed green pepper; dinner at 8pm romaine salad with ranch dressing, pot roast, "fake" diet coke; lots of water all eaten while pounding out graphics.

Did have time or appetite for my late snack...glad it's the weekend. Plan to walk the malls and do my Christmas shopping.

Hi Laurie!

From your posts, you seem to be doing so well. Good for you - keep up the good work!

May I ask you what the "fake" diet Pepsi is? It sounds scary! :crazy:

My husband and I discovered diet Pepsi yesterday. We had been drinking home brewed ice tea with splenda, which is fine but it's no diet Pepsi. We really like it but won't have the diet Pepsi everyday even though it doesn't have carbs in it.

I hope you have a great weekend and again, keep up the good work!

Walking at the mall definitely counts as exercise. You're doing great Laurie, keep up the good work. I'm glad you came across that article. When I read your post on the other forum about your plateau, the first thing that came into my mind is that a fat fast might help. I hope you have a great time shopping. I'll check in with you sometime on Monday to see how you're doing. Take care!:D

Day 5 (Saturday - finally a day off): I was so worn out after this week at work and fighting a sinus headache so DH and I stayed in bed, slept in, watched TV etc. Just wasn't hungry at all (not like me) drank lots of water but we never fixed anything until afternoon. We had a small snack on havarti, cojack and salami slices around 1:30pm...still not much appetite and decided to have an early dinner out. We had purchased a card for a new restaurant - a deal where you can use it so many times for 2-for-1 dinners for 6 months. It is a steakhouse and the menu looked pretty Atkins friendly. We both had prime rib, caesar salad (no croutons, no bread) and asked that they hold the potato and substitute more veggies. No problem accomadating us. The prime rib was huge! (we didn't order the larger portion), very tasty. The salads average and the veggies just so-so mixed type (didn't eat the carrots or lima beans). They really need a good kitchen manager and hostess though. Snack later while watching a movie at home more cheese and salami. I think I caught up on my rest and all but my eyes were feeling much better.

Day 6: brunch - broccoli, green pepper, small tomato, green onion frittata. Very good - came out almost like a quiche without crust. snack - cheese and salami; dinner - left over pot roast, green salad w/bleu cheese dressing, cup of cream of watercress soup. Lots of water. Got some exercise out shopping.

You did great yesterday, keep the carbs pretty low. That prime rib sounded good. Have a great week Laurie!

OK, so I think were getting the hang of this induction thing...even my mother came up with a menu for monday night dinner that was well within my carb range.

Day 7 menu: brunch - crab cakes and small green salad w/oil & vinegar dressing. (the crab was supposed to be for Sunday night dinner, however after we'd picked the two dungeoness crab, the last thing we wanted to do was eat crab...and my husband started fussing about nice it would be to have crab cakes. so I said fine - got up on monday am and started trying to find a recipe for low-carb crab cakes. in Carpender's low-carb cookbook I found a recipe for salmon cakes and I adapted it:

3 1/2 cubs fresh dungeoness crab cleaned/picked
1/3 cup celery diced small
3 small scalions diced small
salt, pepper, emeril's essence & tabasco to taste
1/4 cup wheat bran (9 grams carb - 7 of it fiber!)
1 1/2 eggs

mix, form cakes (made 6 med-large), fry at med heat in 2 T butter and a little canola oil until golden brown on bottom, flip and cook until set (about 10-12 minutes total cooking time).

Without the breadcrumbs...they were a little delicate on the first transfer to the pan and then I used two spatulas for the "flip" to make sure they didn't fall apart. They were yummy! DH was quite amazed I was able to pull it off.

dinner - broiled salmon & layered green salad with sour cream & mayo dressing (salad was romain lettuce on the bottom, mixture of frozen peas, fine chopped celery, scalions & sliced water chestnuts in the middle, topped with sour cream & mayo dressing with bacon crumbles & parmasan cheese); snack - a little salami & havarti about an hour before bed. Lots of water - only 1 diet coke!

I walked for about 25 minutes until the cold got to me while my mom was at a teachers' union meeting.

I'm glad you got in that exercise even though it was cold. You are doing so well Laurie, keep up the good work. Btw, that salmon dish sounds really good.

Thanks so much for your support Lisa and Castillo Mom! Gosh, do I need it right now.

I'm particpating in a medical research study for PMS - so I'm on a low-dose BC pill that I take consecutively one-pack after another. (The theory being that if you can stop TOM then no more PMS either - for me at least it is making a difference so far.) The problem with doing the study is being on the pill - possibly a hinderance to weight loss - but the benefits of being on an even keel throughout the month is very nice. DH has to remember now that if I get mad it's not the PMS talking, LOL.

Today I had to go in and pick up my next 4 months of study meds, they took urine tests, blood pressure and I had to get on the scale! I was not going to get on a scale until I was done with induction! It was upsetting to see that I was up 5 lbs from when I started the study in August and also up 3 lbs from when I weighed myself before induction! DH assured me that the doctor's scale is not our scale - and that clothes do weigh something (I did kick off my heavy shoes) but it doesn't make me feel better - just frustrated. My BP was 102 over 62 - which the clinic staff was really happy about, but it troubles me. If I were exercising an hour a day then 102 over 62 would be great, but I'm not...my BP is low, I think too low for normal.

Day 8 menu: brunch - left over frittata from Sunday brunch (re-heated very well); 4pm snack - cup of cream of watercress soup; dinner - meatloaf (DH's adjusted low-carb recipe) & green salad; snack (if I need it) cheese & salami. Lots of water & 2 real diet cokes (I'm having a hard time staying alert today for some reason).

DH and I are getting up early and starting to walk before I have to get ready for work in the mornings. Trying to get in a 10-minute exercise break at work has been very hard - too much production being scheduled in and no time for even a real dinner break lately.

Found I wasn't hungry for my snack and did get home and do my pilates DVD before bed. BP afterward was 111/77.

You are doing great. What have your other blood pressure readings been? If they have been in that range, don't worry about it. As long as you aren't having symptomslike lighthaededness, dizziness, excessive fatigue, or shortness of breath. The 120/80 is an average. My normal is 100/50. Trend your BP's at least 3 times before you woory. Feel free to pm me if you have questions.

The goal was for DH and I get up and go for a walk this morning before I had to get ready for work - should be simple, right?

So DH's father calls the night before and gives him a lead on a job (a good thing) but DH has to make the phone call between 9-10am today...we set the alarm for 8am to get our walk in before that. Well if either one of our alarms did go off I sure don't remember - slept right through them and both of us would have had to turn them off or they'd keep making noise. This confirms another suspicion of mine - our cats have figured out how to turn off the alarms when they go off! Needless to say, no walk and DH was almost late in calling his job contact. Cats, however, were quite content.

Day 9 menu: brunch - leftover frittata, 4pm snack - cream of watercress soup; 7pm snack - couple slices of cheese and salami; dinner - green salad w/bleu cheese dressing & egg and meatloaf (which I couldn't finish). Only one real diet coke and lots of water.

I've noticed that my appetite has definitely fallin off since last Saturday - is this a good thing? I find I don't want to eat as often or as much.

Planning on Pilates when I get home.

Sorry your kitties sabotaged your exercise plans. But are doing so well otherwise. Please keep up the good work - I'm proud of you!

Also, I've heard or read somewhere that you can lose your appetite eating low carb. I haven't experienced that yet but I will say I have absolutely no desire for any type of fast food. I would rather make my own. I mean I actually go out of my way not to eat that stuff. Even when I look at the menus, I don't know how to describe it, the meat looks all grey and yucky. I even commented in my journal that the Wendy burgers my sister and company had last week looked like they were from the bottom of somebody's shoe. Yucky!

Have a great cheat free day!!!!!

hi la,
i am on day 8 of atkins and i am noticing the same thing today.......i am just not very hungry........i guess this is a good thing.........wonder if this will change?

Laurie, you're doing just fine. Don't worry about your appetite, it's normal to feel that way when you start Atkins. Limiting your carb intake and not eating sugar makes it so you're less hungry. Just make sure you eat your three squares even if you don't feel like it. If you don't eat it'll slow your metabolism. Keep it up and have a good evening!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter