Latest School Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nevermind. MSNBC has is. Sorry... I'm just getting home.

I pray something is done to prevent this from happening again. Sadly, we all know it will happen again. Im sorry but "they" need to ban ALL weapons until something is figured out.
Ban all weapons? So, come and take everything in every house that could be used as a weapon. And then do what?

Or is it just take those scary weapons like the Armalite 15? Or maybe just the particular weapon used today? It was a shotgun, right?

I think it's really sad that we don't value our kids enough to make our schools better....make teaching the priority, pay teachers properly, etc. It astonishes me that people instantly jump to spending billions of dollars on school security, but argue for decent wages and properly equipped classrooms, and suddenly it's all "I pay enough taxes already." SMH.

For me, it’s not either or. The money should be found for both. There are places the federal government can take it from.

You can't make schools "safe." Well, sure you could fence them, lead kids in and out through a single entrance or two, have metal detectors, etc, and it might give the "appearance" of being safer, but that's all it is. Harden a target and all you do is move the perimeter out. At least at my kids' high school, there are three major entrances/exits. And 2000 kids exit within 5-10 minute period. All at the same time. Hundreds of kids. Easy target.

No reason they can’t stagger the release times or the start of school times. 3 entrance should not be that hard to cover.

Besides, those are easy targets now and it doesn’t happen that way. People keep bringing up football games, after school, whatever. ALL of those exist now and yet it doesn’t usually happen. It’s during school so perhaps we can start where it’s happening?

A victim...
DdiE6XbV4AEpnQV.jpg

Foreign exchange student Sabika Sheikh who was part of the YES Pakistan program, was shot and killed at Sante Fe High School. She was scheduled to go home to Pakistan on June 10th after being away for ten months.

I know the NRA will never allow anything like this but I would like to see the person who makes these guns available to these killers charged with the murders. It seems like these young shooters in particular have guns made available to them by a parent even though the shooter has shown troubling signs. We read time and again that these people are known to be troubled before they commit mass murder but the parents don’t lock up their guns or even give guns to them. If a person knows that they might be held responsible that might make them more careful about arming a mentally unstable person.

I know the NRA will never allow anything like this but I would like to see the person who makes these guns available to these killers charged with the murders. It seems like these young shooters in particular have guns made available to them by a parent even though the shooter has shown troubling signs. We read time and again that these people are known to be troubled before they commit mass murder but the parents don’t lock up their guns or even give guns to them. If a person knows that they might be held responsible that might make them more careful about arming a mentally unstable person.

The American Academy of Pediatrics recently published a study that showed that having a child in the home with depression and/or other mental health conditions did not influence whether the parents locked up their guns.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/141/3/e20172600

It blows me away that parents don’t safely store their guns. For at least the last 10 years, our pediatrician has addressed gun storage/safety at our checkups. Obviously, education alone is not working. Holding these parents criminally accountable will force them to change.

No reason they can’t stagger the release times or the start of school times. 3 entrance should not be that hard to cover.

Besides, those are easy targets now and it doesn’t happen that way. People keep bringing up football games, after school, whatever. ALL of those exist now and yet it doesn’t usually happen. It’s during school so perhaps we can start where it’s happening?
It doesn’t happen because most schools don’t have metal detectors so the kids are in school. Do you really think that if a kid with a gun wants to kill students, a metal detector will stop him? No, he will do it elsewhere.

Stagger the release times or start of school times? How would that even work?

But doesn't this show there can also be a correlation between few gun owners and a large number of gun deaths? Look at Mexico... fewer guns than Canada, but more deaths than the US.

BTW, it's proper to link the source where you get facts like this.

It appears to be out of date. As we all know, the USA has the most mass shootings anywhere in the world and nigh on the most individual gun deaths anywhere in the world. Even IF Mexico can pull it off, it is clearly the exception to the rule - the USA is, although way out there, fitting to the basic correlation.

ETA: The USA indeed has the most gun related deaths of any where in the developed world, and that includes suicides, accidental homicides and shootings affecting less than three victims.

Last edited:
Problem is one side doesn't want to lose their rights, the other side doesn't want to do anything to make schools safer and so it goes.

Yes totally agree, as I thought you were among those Very vocal about not wanting any kind of sensible gun regulations, or limiting the kinds of guns, etc. We need sensible solutions and openness and also to listen to the Parkland protestors, etc. who are coming up with some good ideas.

Last edited:
I can't even find the right words to type. It's just too awful.
Can you imagine sending your daughter to another country on a foreign exchange and having her killed by a maniac? I have to tell you that this will affect the number of kids coming to the us from other countries. We have hosted teen exchange students from France the last 3 years and fewer and fewer kids are coming because of violence in our country.

For me, it’s not either or. The money should be found for both. There are places the federal government can take it from.
I get this argument, but the fact is, it’s not going to happen b/c whatever those places are that money can be cut are probably valuable and/or heavily lobbied for ($$) by the ppl who support whatever that program or cause us.

How about parents actually parenting and not being their kid's friend? How about teaching RESPECT for other opinions. RESPECT for property of others. Compassion and caring for others. Teaching personal responsibility. Making kids EARN their phones, cars, designer clothes, etc. Enforcing rules and following through if they are broken. Letting the kids know that they must put forth EFFORT to win first place. No more "participation" trophies. Raise your kids to be responsible adults, not whiny demanding brats.

I've read the thread and there are some pretty strong opinions. What I have to say on the topic are my own thoughts, and some may not agree and that's just fine with me.

It is so sad the way the world is today, and getting worse all the time. I feel so very sorry for the innocent children that have died in these school shootings, and their parents. I cannot even begin to imagine what they are going through. With that said, 40 years ago...actually a bit longer as I graduated in 1975, we didn't have these problems. Country boys drove their pickups to school with a gun rack and a gun in it. DH said when a boy got a new gun at his school (95% country kids, farm kids) one of his teachers would go out to look at it. These kids didn't think about shooting up their schools and classmates. Back then most kids knew what it meant to be respectful. Yes, there were a handful of wild, rebellious kids, but not like in today's world.

Back then corporal punishment was allowed, back then most parents didn't get a divorce (or more than one), back then most moms didn't work full-time like they do today, back then kids were taught to be respectful and kind. Back then most families went to church. I could go on and on. But today it's so different. And as I believe in God and the Bible I know it's just going to continue getting worse.

I truly believe in the statement that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" and if there were no more guns it would just be something else, troubled/mentally unstable kids would make bombs and they would kill even more people than what guns do. It's just like the fork. The fork doesn't make people fat, people make themselves fat by not putting down the fork. A normal, decent, respectful, law-abiding citizen doesn't go around killing people with guns. My husband and I own guns. We don't think about killing other people with them. We have morals, and respect other people and their lives. I agree with the above PP, cleverclovers, about respect. Somewhere along the way that has been lost in a lot of people, and they in turn are not teaching their children to respect others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter