Late flight - stay at airport or go straight to Disney resort?

We are flying in at 11 pm on 8/1 but not checking into beach club till 8/2. Had originally booked pop for first night just so we’d be there but just yesterday changed to Hyatt at mco. Reason is by the time we get our luggage and get on ME it’ll be quite a while before getting to pop, then we have to have luggage transferred next day. Staying at airport, I’ll be in room by 11:30 and up and at em early next morning and head straight to BC, drop our bags and head to MK.
Another case where we've done both. Reason being the MCO Hyatt prices can be anywhere from $300+ to $100+
I always check the rates. When they are $300 I choose the Disney Value resort over the Hyatt. If they are close in price to the Value rate, I'll pick the Hyatt.
Next month we are going with the Hyatt.

Another case where we've done both. Reason being the MCO Hyatt prices can be anywhere from $300+ to $100+
I always check the rates. When they are $300 I choose the Disney Value resort over the Hyatt. If they are close in price to the Value rate, I'll pick the Hyatt.
Next month we are going with the Hyatt.
Even when you can't get a good price at the Hyatt you could always find something just off site from the airport using that hotels shuttle service to get to there and then back to MCO to catch DME in the morning, something we've also done when the budget (or points) didn't allow for the Hyatt.

Even when you can't get a good price at the Hyatt you could always find something just off site from the airport using that hotels shuttle service to get to there and then back to MCO to catch DME in the morning, something we've also done when the budget (or points) didn't allow for the Hyatt.
Nah if I'm doing that, I figure I may as well go on to Disney and stay in a Value. Makes the next day much easier, they'll move all my bags for me, rather than me haul them back and forth.

Nah if I'm doing that, I figure I may as well go on to Disney and stay in a Value. Makes the next day much easier, they'll move all my bags for me, rather than me haul them back and forth.
Guess that's where we differ since if I'm going to pay a higher rate for a WDW value room vs. a airport hotel, and then still need to transfer to the resort where I would be staying the rest of the trip I don't see where going to Disney is easier.

If I stay airport offside I need to take my bags from baggage claim to hotel shuttle, check in and then take bags to the room. In the morning take my bags back to shuttle to MCO and then put them on DME bus for transfer to resort where bell staff will handle it from there.

If I first go to Disney I either have to do my own bags from arrivals and take them to the bus or use the yellow tags and let DME handle the baggage, but then it can take a few hours for your luggage to show up which if late enough could mean you're staying away waiting for bags. You then have to get Disney to transfer the bags to your new resort, again not knowing when they will show up.

For all these scenarios you are going to have to decide what is more important to you: the money or the time.
None of us live in your pocketbook or know how much vacation time you have so only you can choose:)
Anyone traveling late at night with small children can dress them in their onsie type p.j.s for the plane ride. They'll be warmer on the A/C'd ride and ready to hit the sack when you arrive.

Go straight to the resort. The biggest reason for this is so that you already have a room for the next day. We recently did a split stay and it was annoying being "homeless" for almost 5 hours. Our room at the second hotel wasn't ready until very close to 4pm. When traveling with kids, anything can happen and you may find you desperately need a room that next afternoon. Kids get sick, overtired, etc. It is well worth it to just get settled in on that first night so you can fully enjoy the next day.

Guess that's where we differ since if I'm going to pay a higher rate for a WDW value room vs. a airport hotel, and then still need to transfer to the resort where I would be staying the rest of the trip I don't see where going to Disney is easier.

If I stay airport offside I need to take my bags from baggage claim to hotel shuttle, check in and then take bags to the room. In the morning take my bags back to shuttle to MCO and then put them on DME bus for transfer to resort where bell staff will handle it from there.

If I first go to Disney I either have to do my own bags from arrivals and take them to the bus or use the yellow tags and let DME handle the baggage, but then it can take a few hours for your luggage to show up which if late enough could mean you're staying away waiting for bags. You then have to get Disney to transfer the bags to your new resort, again not knowing when they will show up.
True, but I've never found a room off site that is cheaper than Disney that I'd risk staying in. We don't have points to work with, always paying full price for the rooms. And we (I) could well be pickier than others. Value's at a discount are pretty much as cheap as any area hotel, no matter where we go. Heck, they just had a conversation on our local talk radio about local hotel rates 2 days ago. There isn't a hotel, in a safe area of town that is, a whole lot less than $200 a night here. A guy called in to say he paid $280 for a room (at a Comfort Inn) on a Tuesday night last week. So yeah, Disney Value room prices are cheap compared to that. And we are in a supposed low cost of living area, small town at that. I can't imagine out hotel rates are so far out of line, but maybe they are.

Go straight to the resort. The biggest reason for this is so that you already have a room for the next day. We recently did a split stay and it was annoying being "homeless" for almost 5 hours. Our room at the second hotel wasn't ready until very close to 4pm. When traveling with kids, anything can happen and you may find you desperately need a room that next afternoon. Kids get sick, overtired, etc. It is well worth it to just get settled in on that first night so you can fully enjoy the next day.
I'll count my lucky stars that in all our trips with DGD as a toddler, we've never had to return to the resort before 3:00/4:00. So no, being without a room from 11:00-3:00 was always meaningless when those hours are in the park anyway. She could nap in the stroller or there are baby rooms in the parks if it got too bad. I found it quicker to get in there than to get back to our room. A quick recharge there and we were both ready to go back out in the park.

Which we are the same way with our bags transfers. We are off in the parks on transfer day (preplanned that way) till 4:00, 5:00. So we are going to have no need for our bags in those hours anyway. If I know I'm going to have no need for them, then so what if it takes that long for Disney to transfer them. It's all about planning. And no, kids have never interrupted my plans. DD never did and DGD never has. We were always able to power through. Lucky it seems as I hear so many others say they have to leave for the kids. I suppose I never gave the kids that option

Now, we have had a couple of trips where we had plans starting about 3:00 (tours/party/event, etc) and I knew I needed in a room prior to that, that waiting and possibly not having a room would have not worked for our plans for the night. In those cases I did pay for the night before, even when we didn't use it some times. Once we checked in as late as 8:00 AM so we didn't really use the room the entire night. But it was worth it to me to pay for that room the night to be able to be assured a place to go when we needed it early that day.

Price always comes second to our plans at Disney, though it's a close second. We first consider what our plans are and then see what price works in best with those plans. It's rarely the same way twice. Seems each trip is unique in some way. Which is why no 1 option works for everyone. But what makes this place so helpful is it's great to hear what has worked (or didn't work) for someone, with examples, as it has been what helped me try different options and learn what fits our plans best. Some of the choices I'd never even have considered had I not read about someone else trying it before

Whoa old post alert! Funny to look back at making plans for a past trip. :coffee:

We ending up adding an extra night at GF on this trip to go straight to the resort. In hindsight, we absolutely wish we had done the airport hotel. My husband was mad I wasted the money AND we ended up in a room with issues, so I was mad at myself for wasting the money too. My then 2-year-old son got stuck in the bathroom at like midnight when they were not fully staffed and we had to wait for a resort runner to come help get the door unjammed. It was NOT a good night or start to our vacation. Stay at the airport and get a fresh start in the morning!

Last edited:
True, but I've never found a room off site that is cheaper than Disney that I'd risk staying in. We don't have points to work with, always paying full price for the rooms. And we (I) could well be pickier than others. Value's at a discount are pretty much as cheap as any area hotel, no matter where we go. Heck, they just had a conversation on our local talk radio about local hotel rates 2 days ago. There isn't a hotel, in a safe area of town that is, a whole lot less than $200 a night here. A guy called in to say he paid $280 for a room (at a Comfort Inn) on a Tuesday night last week. So yeah, Disney Value room prices are cheap compared to that. And we are in a supposed low cost of living area, small town at that. I can't imagine out hotel rates are so far out of line, but maybe they are.

I'll count my lucky stars that in all our trips with DGD as a toddler, we've never had to return to the resort before 3:00/4:00. So no, being without a room from 11:00-3:00 was always meaningless when those hours are in the park anyway. She could nap in the stroller or there are baby rooms in the parks if it got too bad. I found it quicker to get in there than to get back to our room. A quick recharge there and we were both ready to go back out in the park.

Which we are the same way with our bags transfers. We are off in the parks on transfer day (preplanned that way) till 4:00, 5:00. So we are going to have no need for our bags in those hours anyway. If I know I'm going to have no need for them, then so what if it takes that long for Disney to transfer them. It's all about planning. And no, kids have never interrupted my plans. DD never did and DGD never has. We were always able to power through. Lucky it seems as I hear so many others say they have to leave for the kids. I suppose I never gave the kids that option

Now, we have had a couple of trips where we had plans starting about 3:00 (tours/party/event, etc) and I knew I needed in a room prior to that, that waiting and possibly not having a room would have not worked for our plans for the night. In those cases I did pay for the night before, even when we didn't use it some times. Once we checked in as late as 8:00 AM so we didn't really use the room the entire night. But it was worth it to me to pay for that room the night to be able to be assured a place to go when we needed it early that day.

Price always comes second to our plans at Disney, though it's a close second. We first consider what our plans are and then see what price works in best with those plans. It's rarely the same way twice. Seems each trip is unique in some way. Which is why no 1 option works for everyone. But what makes this place so helpful is it's great to hear what has worked (or didn't work) for someone, with examples, as it has been what helped me try different options and learn what fits our plans best. Some of the choices I'd never even have considered had I not read about someone else trying it before
I just did a quick check at Hilton for a night in September and $92 for a Homewood Suites or $101 for Hilton Garden Inn, hotels I’d stay at, are a lot less expensive then a $200 night in a value.

I just did a quick check at Hilton for a night in September and $92 for a Homewood Suites or $101 for Hilton Garden Inn, hotels I’d stay at, are a lot less expensive then a $200 night in a value.
Oh, well, there you go, we are not looking at the same rates. I've never paid $200 for a Value resort at Disney, and if that's how much they were, I wouldn't pay that.
They are always available at a discount and the typical rate is around $100/night for one of the All Stars and even if they weren't, rack rate is less than $200.
Here's what I found for a random September night.
Value%20rates.jpg

And the same night, with the General Public rate (Pop Century was too far down the list on this one but it is $115)
Value%20GP.jpg

I would skip the ME all together and hire a car and go once you land. Some great recommendations on the boards for car services. This way, you have help with your luggage from the driver, and you can attend to the kids. They take you into the private garage and off you go - And you'll get there faster than with the bus, also it will be direct - the ME may stop at other resorts when all you want to do is get to YOUR resort. Granted, you then are paying the one more night at the GF and the cost of the car...but, for me, it would be well worth it to not have to settle into one hotel, only to have to pack up and go the next AM.

Since the Hyatt is usually cheaper then a Disney deluxe I would stay at the Hyatt. I personally love getting off the plane and walking to the hotel. I've stayed there a few times even when we've gotten in much earlier then you. I would not pay for a night at the GF if I was getting in at 1030. The hyatt has a pool, gym restaurant and Chili's and Macaroni Grill are right outside. Of course you probably won't be doing any of that since you get in so late...just mentioning it for anyone else looking at the thread. We're staying at the BWI this Fall. Wer're getting in at 5pm and I'm thinking about spending the night at the Hyatt and taking ME in the morning.

We do travel from the West and have a 5 hour flight. We have to get up at 4am our time to get to Florida by 5pm est...that could be why I like the airport hotel so much.

Last edited:
Sorry to reserect this thread but I didn't want to start a new one since there was a similar one already started. We are booked at Disney, December 9th-16th. (Sun-sun) direct flights out are either 7:00 a.m or 4:00pm. Neither of these times are ideal. If we do the 7:00, we would most likely stay at the hotel at our home airport and we would be exhausted by dinner time on our arrival day. If we take the 4:00, I feel like we would miss most of the day because by the time be got to the hotel it would be 8:30 ish.

Today I Had the brilliant idea to fly in on Saturday night and stay that the Hyatt at mco so we wouldn't have to wake up at the crack of dawn and we wouldn't miss half the day. I have plenty of Hyatt points so if won't cost us anything. SW has a 3:30 direct flight which would get us into to mco at 6:30 on Saturday, we could grab dinner and a drink somewhere, get to bed early and start our day fresh on Sunday.

Here is my real question and the reason for my long explanation. Could we still use the yellow tags and have our suitcases taken to the resort on Saturday even though we wouldn't be checking in until Sunday. (We would ovboulsly pack an outfit and toiletries in out carry ons.

Yes you can still use the yellow tags! We did this last trip as our flight arrived late, but still within the ME baggage window. We have 2 younger kids and stayed at the Hyatt (didn’t want to worry about delays, etc). We had our carry-ons with what we needed for the next day, but we let ME take care of our checked bag and it arrived no problem. I had some reservations/worries too, but then realized bags get lost or arrive on completely different flights all the time because of airport error and they still get to the room. I would do it again without a second thought if we needed to.

Yes you can still use the yellow tags! We did this last trip as our flight arrived late, but still within the ME baggage window. We have 2 younger kids and stayed at the Hyatt (didn’t want to worry about delays, etc). We had our carry-ons with what we needed for the next day, but we let ME take care of our checked bag and it arrived no problem. I had some reservations/worries too, but then realized bags get lost or arrive on completely different flights all the time because of airport error and they still get to the room. I would do it again without a second thought if we needed to.
Did you call your resort and let them know that your bags were going to arrive a day before you did?

Did you call your resort and let them know that your bags were going to arrive a day before you did?

We did not call ahead, we just tagged the bag. But I’m sure you could to put your mind at ease! At first I felt like we were breaking some rule, but then I thought about just how many bags roll through there and all the travel hiccups and was fine with it. Disney wants to make it easy for you, so I’ll bet if you called they’ll be very accommodating.

We did not call ahead, we just tagged the bag. But I’m sure you could to put your mind at ease! At first I felt like we were breaking some rule, but then I thought about just how many bags roll through there and all the travel hiccups and was fine with it. Disney wants to make it easy for you, so I’ll bet if you called they’ll be very accommodating.
Calling is pretty worthless. The people you reach on the phone will have nothing at all to do with the bags themselves, or the service that handles the bags at the airport. The bags service is done by a contractor based out of the airport. The people on the phone will not be able to speak for them one way or the other.

There is always a chance it will work exactly like your bags did, and show up fine. My only issue is once you find out it didn't work it's pretty dang late. You are left without any stuff while someone sorts out what happened and where the bags are. That's a stress I sure don't want at the start of my vacation but for those that do, the option is there for certain. I'm not a gambler at all though, not with my stuff at least.

Calling is pretty worthless. The people you reach on the phone will have nothing at all to do with the bags themselves, or the service that handles the bags at the airport. The bags service is done by a contractor based out of the airport. The people on the phone will not be able to speak for them one way or the other.

There is always a chance it will work exactly like your bags did, and show up fine. My only issue is once you find out it didn't work it's pretty dang late. You are left without any stuff while someone sorts out what happened and where the bags are. That's a stress I sure don't want at the start of my vacation but for those that do, the option is there for certain. I'm not a gambler at all though, not with my stuff at least.

I guess for me, that gamble seems equal to any time you fly and check bags at all....it’s always fun waiting to see if your bag made a different trip from you! :confused3

We arrived late and stayed near the airport on our last trip. Then we said we would not do it again. It just wasted so much time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter