La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles

Goofster57

What if the “Hokey Pokey” really is what it’s all
So we had two sets of friends visit last week, a husband and wife from Orlando Florida, and a Mother and Daughter from Roslyn New York, during their visits we did some of the touristy things with them while they were here.

So here is a pictorial trip report of some of the things we did.

First up is our trip to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles

From the tourist pamphlet
The La Brea Tar Pits (or Rancho La Brea Tar Pits) are a famous cluster of tar pits located in Hancock Park in the urban heart of Los Angeles.

Asphalt (colloquially termed tar) has seeped up from the ground in this area for tens of thousands of years, forming hundreds of sticky pools that trapped animals and plants which happened to enter. Over time, the asphalt fossilized the remains. The result is an incredibly rich collection of fossils dating from the last ice age.

Fossils have been excavated from hundreds of the pits in the park. Work started in the early 20th century. In the 1940s and 1950s there was great public excitement over the dramatic mammal fossils recovered. By the 2000s, attention had shifted to microfossils, to fossilized insects and plants, and even to pollen grains. These fossils help define a picture of what is thought to be a cooler, moister climate present in the Los Angeles basin during the glacial age.

The George C. Page Museum in Hancock Park, part of the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County, presents these discoveries. Of more than a hundred pits, one (Pit 91) continues to be regularly excavated for two months each summer, under the watchful eyes of tourists. The park's location in a major urban center, the history of dramatic discoveries, and excellent presentation in the Page Museum combine to make the La Brea Tar Pits a famous and accessible paleontological site.

Here we go;
IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

You can see where the gases are still bubbling up
IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2109.jpg

I can hear it now...
"Harold quit screwing around and get out of there and take Jr over to the Glacier"
IMG_2110.jpg

NAG NAG NAG thats all you ever do Martha, we have plenty of time....
IMG_2111.jpg

Here are some pictures of the only active dig site at this time
IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2125.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2129.jpg

IMG_2127.jpg

Here is the front of Site 91
IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

You could see where tar like material just seems to be bubbling up through the ground
IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

This another Observation pit that was closed
IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

Here are some general shots of the grounds and surrounding area
IMG_2121.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2116.jpg

IMG_2117.jpg

IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2155.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg

IMG_2157.jpg

IMG_2159.jpg

IMG_2166.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

Mr Hancock himself
IMG_2118.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

IMG_2123.jpg

IMG_2130.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

The Yellow buildings in the back ground are part of the student housing for USC
IMG_2134.jpg

IMG_2135.jpg

Here are some Giant Sloth’s
IMG_2136.jpg

IMG_2137.jpg

And a bear
IMG_2170.jpg

You could see where tar like material just seems to be bubbling up through the ground
IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2140.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

Here are some shots of the Museum
IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2176.jpg

These shots are looking down into the atrium of the Museum
IMG_2178.jpg

IMG_2179.jpg

IMG_2180.jpg

IMG_2181.jpg

See the Koi Fish?
IMG_2182.jpg

IMG_2183.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_2185.jpg

Some Turtles
IMG_2186.jpg

IMG_2187.jpg

Here are a few of the gift shop
IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2191.jpg

We ended our visit to the Tar Pits with this
IMG_2196.jpg

Our drive home

Check back to see reports on the Sony Pictures Studio Tour and a few pictrures of the The Grove

Thanks for stopping by

You're probably the only person I know who could post a trip report with a bunch of pictures of muck and vegitation and make it look facinating!! ;) I'm glad you and Sorceress had some fun with your friends...

Kathy

That’s nothing you should see what I can do with leftovers

What an interesting installment. :thumbsup2

I've never heard of these tar pits :confused3

See, the DIS can be educational at times!

What other tours did you take your friends on? Are you going to post some more mini TR's????

Well we did take the Fredericks of Hollywood tour, but I can't post those pictures......:rotfl2:

We did go to the Sony Pictures Studio and the The Grove a outdoor mall near Farmers Market, so I need to post those yet.

Well we did take the Fredericks of Hollywood tour, but I can't post those pictures......:rotfl2:

We did go to the Sony Pictures Studio and the The Grove a outdoor mall near Farmers Market, so I need to post those yet.

This may be a stupid question......NM...I'm not going to ask here.

Soooooooo.....when are you posting the Sony Pictures Studio stuff??

It's not as if you're busy at work or something :rolleyes1

just sayin' :rotfl2:

This may be a stupid question......NM...I'm not going to ask here.

Soooooooo.....when are you posting the Sony Pictures Studio stuff??

It's not as if you're busy at work or something :rolleyes1

just sayin' :rotfl2:

Yada Yada Yada

Maybe tomorrow, I’ll just cut down my visits to the bathroom

Cool pics! I was there last March. My brother lives within walking distance of the Tar pits. We also went to The Grove..walked there too.

You failed to mention that the tarpits are free. That makes it even better.

This is one site I have not seen while out there. Let's see, when we do make it out there my kids will be 5, 8 & almost 10. I'm thinking this would not be on the list to see. What do you think? Maybe if we are already on Olvera Street?

This is one site I have not seen while out there. Let's see, when we do make it out there my kids will be 5, 8 & almost 10. I'm thinking this would not be on the list to see. What do you think? Maybe if we are already on Olvera Street?

I'm not sure...My DD (21) and her DBF (25) just went and she said that it "Drew a Vacuum" I thought it was good, it might be a little boring for the young ones.

Now I did forget to mention that you could always sit on the benches out front and watch the working girls using the restroom to change outfits.

Trip Note: Use bathrooms inside Museum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter