Kona and breakfast. The return.

jimim

DIS Veteran
I will start with what I typically say. Food is personal. We all like different things.

Ok with that I will write my throughs as I wait in line.

We haven’t had breakfast in the world for let’s see 15 plus years. Lol

And I really think our last breakfast was actually here. lol.

I was soooooo looking forward to fresh made eggs with some good burnt home fries and crispy bacon.

My wife was looking forward to the Tonga roast she remembers from way back when it was hand stuffed and made.

Ok so here is what we got. And maybe you all have had different experiences but busy or not it’s all short cuts I feel.

Eggs were deff on a line cause you needed a spon to eat them and they just had flavor.

Bacon was sitting cause it was rubber but again a lot of places crispy it up on the grill.

My toast was a think made 30 mins ago and kept warm cause u needed a sharp knife to cut it cause it came uncut without butter.

Home fries were decent cause they were salty.

My kids pancakes were suppose to be Mickey pancakes so I figured they would use the shape maker to have it be a Mickey head. No. Which is fine but they were hard as a rock made and put on a line to sit like everything else.

Ok the big one. The Tonga toast. I’m going to say it’s made in a factory for Disney and they come frozen and they are cooked however. It’s a premade black. And the bread inside is not like French toast you would make at home. It isn’t egg soaked. It’s just a lot of bread. No where near how it used to be.

Also the strawberry for the top is an ask and receive I guess cause we had to and I saw a lot coming out without it. I actually only saw 1 come out with it and on the side which is a better idea actually.

All in all. I’m out! Sad. Big disappointment. I didn’t expect perfection but it was like buffet food served to me.

Maybe some of you have different stories but this is what we saw.
thanks all,
Jim

Disney over all…. Bacon is not good. 10 years ago it was ok 15 a different world. The sausage is still decent as an option.
Everything else of what you ordered is an absolute maybe…
If it is made fresh the waffles and pancakes are good. Eggs not so much in a long time.
We own DVC so take this part with that in mind.
Gasparilla the CS at the Grand Floridian has a great breakfast as everything is made to order and by far the best tasting normal breakfast I have had in a long time in Disney. With that we are not in love with the resort and enjoy the POLY and a few other resorts more but the breakfast is at best not so good from CS and most TS. Breakfast is no longer an event for us but years ago concourse steakhouse at the contemporary and Kona definitely served unique and memorable breakfast.

We had a nice breakfast at Kona last August, but the Tonga Toast was a one and done for me.

We have eaten there a few times over the years and have never been crazy about the food there.

Disney over all…. Bacon is not good. 10 years ago it was ok 15 a different world. The sausage is still decent as an option.
Everything else of what you ordered is an absolute maybe…
If it is made fresh the waffles and pancakes are good. Eggs not so much in a long time.
We own DVC so take this part with that in mind.
Gasparilla the CS at the Grand Floridian has a great breakfast as everything is made to order and by far the best tasting normal breakfast I have had in a long time in Disney. With that we are not in love with the resort and enjoy the POLY and a few other resorts more but the breakfast is at best not so good from CS and most TS. Breakfast is no longer an event for us but years ago concourse steakhouse at the contemporary and Kona definitely served unique and memorable breakfast.
We r dvc also. Years ago Kona was good. It really was but again yah 15 plus ago cause my daughter is 14 she was never there. I’ll have to keep grand Floridian in mind. Poly is way too busy for us also. Crazy busy.

Sorry to hear that. Kona Cafe is my favorite breakfast on property, but I don't order any of the things you did. I think the Tonga Toast is overrated. The macadamia nut pancakes and gouda grits are where it's at though.

We’ve started doing Kona for bf the last few trips. I usually always get the macadamia pancakes. But last year’s visit the pa cakes were hard on the edges and very rubbery. Definitely not how they e been in the past. Will I order them next trip? Yes! And my mom loves those grits that’s it the main reason we visit for bf!

Kona Cafe breakfast went from “must-do” to a “must to avoid”. We loved the Tonga Toast so much way back when that we’d even go to the effort of making it at home on are and special occasions. I could not believe what was served the last time we were there.

We also learned how to make the pineapple bread and macadamia honey butter, as well as a coconut mango chicken that was on the dinner menu years ago.

Dining quality at the Polynesian Resort is not what it used to be, on the whole. Breakfast splurges for us now include Boma and the GF Cafe.

If they'd only bring back the Coral Isle Cafe and Tangaroa Terrace. We would have breakfast in one of those every day.

Kona is one of our faves, but TBH, we haven’t been since before covid. We tried O’hana after covid (previously one of our favorites) and were very disappointed.

Sometimes I think people just want to complain about everything at WDW.

The tonga toast has always been a "lot of bread" - it's literally a block of bread stuffed with banana, rolled in egg, fried, and covered in cinnamon sugar. It's also delicious in a "this is a crazy food" type of way.

I will say that Disney bacon is notoriously thin and not great, but I think that's a result of them cooking about 2 million slices each day across all their restaurants.

Sometimes I think people just want to complain about everything at WDW.

The tonga toast has always been a "lot of bread" - it's literally a block of bread stuffed with banana, rolled in egg, fried, and covered in cinnamon sugar. It's also delicious in a "this is a crazy food" type of way.

I will say that Disney bacon is notoriously thin and not great, but I think that's a result of them cooking about 2 million slices each day across all their restaurants.
Tonga Toast was once upon a time “stuffed with banana” which is not quite the 3 (yup, 3) thin slices which are now buried somewhere is the chunk of bread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter