Knowing how to travel (fly).

Don't know if you read the transportation board, but we discussed this some there. I tried to find a regulation regarding neck pillows and couldn't find one. Here's my post on what I did find...
Very interesting and thank you very much. So, the airline can actually say it is an FAA rule because once they submit their plan for approval, if becomes the FAA rule for that airline. BUT each airline can have different rule.

This begs the question - did the airline submit updated policy regarding travel blankets and pillows, therefore it is now the FAA rule for that airline or did they decide internally to just call it a rule?

Regarding neck pillows. Are they a wearable accessory or a personal item? Because jackets are counted as clothes, not personal items even if you are carrying it in your hand.

@fly girl One airline has recently begun announcing that pillows and blankets are now being counted as personal items by the FAA so must be placed into either their carry on or personal item bag and not be carried on in addition to their other two items. Do you know if this is actually an FAA rule or if the gate agents are just saying it is?

FAA is strictly on safety. To the best of my knowledge, the amount of carry on items are individual airline policies.

Honestly, I don't like that they are calling it an FAA rule because it isn't. FAA has rules on size and where bags can/cannot be stowed, but limits - no.

FAA rules are very separate and very strict. We were always taught the difference between the two. FAA rules are absolute mandates you cannot be flexible on. You shouldn't be too flexible with airline policy either, but flight attendants won't get personally fined for breaking airline rules versus FAA mandates. Let me repeat, if there is a FAA violation the airline doesn't get charged, the flight attendant does. That is why flight attendants are very protective of our closets. There is a set rule on weight. Go over, and the flight attendant can be personally charged $1200.00. (it may have gone up in fine since I retired, but it was $1200 for all of my 20 years.)

FAA is strictly on safety. To the best of my knowledge, the amount of carry on items are individual airline policies.

Honestly, I don't like that they are calling it an FAA rule because it isn't. FAA has rules on size and where bags can/cannot be stowed, but limits - no.

FAA rules are very separate and very strict. We were always taught the difference between the two. FAA rules are absolute mandates you cannot be flexible on. You shouldn't be too flexible with airline policy either, but flight attendants won't get personally fined for breaking airline rules versus FAA mandates. Let me repeat, if there is a FAA violation the airline doesn't get charged, the flight attendant does. That is why flight attendants are very protective of our closets. There is a set rule on weight. Go over, and the flight attendant can be personally charged $1200.00. (it may have gone up in fine since I retired, but it was $1200 for all of my 20 years.)
The actual FAA regulation states that carriers must comply with their previously approved baggage plans. The airlines have to submit the plans to the FAA, which then approves or rejects them. The airlines do decide what those policies are going to be, but once the plan is submitted and approved, it is an FAA regulation.

The actual FAA regulation states that carriers must comply with their previously approved baggage plans. The airlines have to submit the plans to the FAA, which then approves or rejects them. The airlines do decide what those policies are going to be, but once the plan is submitted and approved, it is an FAA regulation.
That is what I was trying to say. For example (going from my law enforcement background) the police training commission mandates that you submit a standard qualification course for the range qualification. Each agency can submit their own training plan and SQC but once it is submitted and approved, the agency cannot deviate from it during qualification. So, we always called it a training commission mandated course but another agency may have a different course on file.

That is what I was trying to say. For example (going from my law enforcement background) the police training commission mandates that you submit a standard qualification course for the range qualification. Each agency can submit their own training plan and SQC but once it is submitted and approved, the agency cannot deviate from it during qualification. So, we always called it a training commission mandated course but another agency may have a different course on file.
I agree the airline is technically correct in saying the FAA "counts" neck pilllows as carry on items, but it's a stretch.

There is a set rule on weight. Go over, and the flight attendant can be personally charged $1200.00. (it may have gone up in fine since I retired, but it was $1200 for all of my 20 years.)
Weight of what? Carryon aren't weighed (that I've ever seen).

So basically, it is a round about statement that the airline sets that specific FAA rule. Honestly, I have no idea. We never went into the nitty gritty details of baggage plans. I am telling you what we were taught as flight crew. Take it for what it is.

I was taught that carry on bag rules were my airlines policy, not FAA. Flight attendants will not get fined for a neck pillow or someone bringing on 3 items. It wasn't a safety issue. That is our main concern.

Weight of what? Carryon aren't weighed (that I've ever seen).
You missed my sentence before the quote. I said, "That is why flight attendants are very protective of our closets." Maximum weight of items in the closet. You'll see a placard by or in the closet stating its maximum allowed weight.

Yup....this example came up recently on the United subreddit. The carryon....fine. The backpack, not so much. You get one thing overhead and whatever else you have must fit under the seat in front of you. If that flight is full, it's likely that backpack gets gate checked. That might be his strategy as gate checked items almost always make it on the flight, which is not the case these days for luggage checked at the counter.

The other major offense here is people with the rolling carryon (fine), backpack for under seat (fine), but then a purse and 2-4 shopping bags....not fine. And I've seen many times where they'll position the shopping bags overhead to protect them as they are souvenirs....but then someone comes along to put their suitcase up and an argument ensues because shopping bags get squished. The person in the wrong is the shopping sherpa.

View attachment 871134
Ha ha--that person looks like they might fall over with that backpack.

We are flying on Play Airlines this weekend. They will measure everything, and our usual carry-on is considered a checked bag. Our usual personal item is also too large and is considered the new carry-on. I pulled out a small day pack for my new personal item. I am not an "always" or "never" traveler, so if we have to check bags for this trip we will. We have bulky cold-weather items and we knew we'd have to rearrange things when we booked with them. I just hope other people don't try arguing if their bags are too big and hold everyone up.

I had a busy body on a SW flight lecturing me about the amount of my luggage because of my cpap bag.
Uh, if you are going to mind someone else's business, study up on the rules before boarding!

I do often put the cpap bag under the seat in front of me after having the hose crushed in the overhead by someone else forcing their bag in the space.
We now travel with medical tape or a small duct tape for hose repair.

Funny story - my friend and I went to WDW this February and her CPAP hose had a tear in it and OMG it was so loud. We joked about it and I told her it sounded like I was gonna get carried away by a tornado. We always share a room and halfway through the night it got quiet. Next morning I asked her what happened and she said she just covered her head with the blanket :rotfl2:Thank God for Amazon Prime and 1-day delivery.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest