Kids Club Age Change

I’m onboard until Sunday if anyone wants me to ask the YA CMs any questions
When I called, they told me to just go talk to the counselors when I get onboard (we sail Jan. 5 on the Wish). If that's what they're telling everyone who calls in, there are going to be a LOT of upset parents showing up angry at the counselors for not letting their kids in. Are they prepared? What are the CMs hearing?

When I called, they told me to just go talk to the counselors when I get onboard (we sail Jan. 5 on the Wish). If that's what they're telling everyone who calls in, there are going to be a LOT of upset parents showing up angry at the counselors for not letting their kids in. Are they prepared? What are the CMs hearing?
They will be prepared, and unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. It will be a hard and fast new rule with no exceptions.
Not hearing much so far, CMs are upset with this too

Here is the response I received when contacting Disney Cruise Line, basically sorry but tough luck.

Thank you for contacting Disney Cruise Line.

I would be happy to assist.

On behalf of the entire Disney Cruise Line team, I hope you will accept my sincere regret for any disappointment with your upcoming cruise vacation.

In order to maintain consistency across the Disney Cruise Line fleet, we adhere to our updated published policies relating to the age ranges we allow Guests to participate in our Youth Activities.

However, please be assured that I will share your constructive comments with the appropriate shipboard and shoreside managers. We appreciate your bringing these concerns to our attention, as we feel it is imperative as we continue to refine our operation to best fit the needs of all of our Guests.

Thank you again for contacting us. We look forward to welcoming you and your family onboard soon.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you require further assistance with any other inquiries, please feel free to contact us.

We look forward to sailing with you!

Well we were close to booking our first cruise but with a 12 and 8 year old, I'm not sure now. I liked that my son would have been able to choose.

Not likely, from posts on FB the change has stemmed from a huge lawsuit involving a 12 yo boy and a 3 yo. Probably were forced to make the change quick.
This is more than likely why it was rapid. They should give families wiggle room to cancel though within the penalty period as this is clearly a big change for some families. They aren't going to change the policy back no matter how many emails and complaints they get, if this is the basis for the change...but if they get enough pushback from families asking for an amended cancellation policy due to the nature of this announcement, that might be doable to get a refund.

Last edited:
This is more than likely why it was rapid. They should give families wiggle room to cancel though within the penalty period as this is clearly a big change for some families. They aren't going to change the policy back no matter how many emails and complains they get, if this is the basis for the change...but if they get enough pushback from families asking for an amended cancellation policy due to the nature of this announcement, that might be doable to get a refund.

No but they can look into other ways to still keep at least 11 yo in the club/lab. I do think they will end up letting people cancel though.

Not likely, from posts on FB the change has stemmed from a huge lawsuit involving a 12 yo boy and a 3 yo. Probably were forced to make the change quick.
The lawsuit was back in 2021, some updated info in this article: https://www.disneydining.com/couple-sues-disney-cruise-line-for-20-million-bb1/
I doubt the change stems from this lawsuit. Sounds like Disney was going to win the case anyways.

It may be the case that they got feedback that the older kids prefer Edge, but I still think they should have given people more warning so they could make that decision for themselves. I would 100% not have booked this cruise had I known my 12yo could not go to Oceaneer Lab with my 9yo, it's a totally different cruise experience. But now I've paid in full, made travel arrangements and everything, our cruise is 21 days from now. It's very upsetting to be spending so much on a cruise that isn't at all what we thought we were paying for.

yes, I'm hoping once the policy changes we start to see some content change in the Navigators. Maybe some Edge time in the Oceaneer's Club once a day? Or maybe some more themed content in the Edge?
Yes! That would be amazing and a huge difference, at least during this transition time for guests who already booked and were expecting 11-12yo to be able to use Oceaneers.

No but they can look into other ways to still keep at least 11 yo in the club/lab. I do think they will end up letting people cancel though.
Honestly, they need to just make a policy and stop giving in to parent complaints. This is why we are here in the first place. Originally it was 3-7 for Club and 8-12 for Lab...they bended to parent complaints because timmy needed to be with sally. If they bend back again to parents demanding their 11 year old be in...eventually we end up with those same parents complaining the next year for their 12 year olds to be in as well and we are back to square one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter