Is there a "best time" to visit anymore?

I still think Labor Day week is slower compared to other times. Huge downside is that it’s peak hurricane season. Irma hit during our trip and we made the decision to leave after a couple days. Crowds were especially low for the days we were there since people were changing their travel plans!

We don’t hunt for the slowest times and just go when all 12 of us can make it work, but we have been during Labor Day week a few times and it has always been slower for us than times in April, May, June, December and January.

Last edited:
You can have a magical time every single day of the year at Disney. Simply go into the trip with realistic expectations and understand that there are special moments to be had doing things other than E-Ticket attractions.

I find it easier to gather a list of times to avoid. There really isn't good times anymore. Not like it used to be anyway.

This is how I plan. I avoid the worst times and run with what dates work for my family.

You can have a magical time every single day of the year at Disney. Simply go into the trip with realistic expectations and understand that there are special moments to be had doing things other than E-Ticket attractions.

Exactly.

Simply go into the trip with realistic expectations and understand that there are special moments to be had doing things other than E-Ticket attractions.
I know how to have a good Disney trip, but I think it's also fair to point out that Disney is demanding an awful lot of money in return for an experience that now requires people to focus on having "realistic expectations".

Last edited:
Have done spring break, 2nd week of December, Thanksgiving, MLK weekend in recent years. All trips were wonderful. The best time to go is when it works for your schedule.

I think we've had 6 stays at the resort since last December, pretty well spread out. December (the 1st week) was way too crowded, IMO. For whatever reason, the 2nd week of January was also packed. When we were there in May, it was busy, and hot. June? Same. Now, we probably just caught lightening in a bottle, but the first week of March for us had the lightest crowds, and beautiful weather as well.

My sister was there the 2nd week of April this year and they had pretty light crowds and great weather. That said, spring can be pretty tricky because Easter and spring breaks change.

I will say, with a good plan you can get a ton done at any time of year. We rode tons of rides on our Christmas trip, probably more than usual because I was so worried about crowds that I spent more time on planning. We did hit the ground running at 6am though....

There will be plenty when the recession hits

I am guessing that will be at least 6 years or a natural disaster on the scale of ELE given the recent economic numbers. Just sayin, not political, was getting good for the last 8 years too. :drinking:

upload_2018-8-18_10-28-43.png

OP, we go in August\Sept. We find the lowest crowds during this time and some of the friendliest folks. It is even better than January when you get this type of crowd and they all wearing coats because it was 40's.:

upload_2018-8-18_10-27-25.png

To me the best time is literally anytime besides the major holiday weeks.

Summer has been great this year.

Winter is good if avoiding major holidays. Same with fall and Spring

Some advance fast passes and your good to go

On this most recent trip for a week I never spent more then 10 mins waiting on a ride at every park. That’s getting to the park at 10am everyday and having the hardest fast passes in advance and refreshing the rest. I didn’t wait on one stand by line.

Just avoid the major weeks.

With 12 of you. Maybe September or Jan Feb or early May since it’s harder to get that many fast passes on refresh.

I have been very disappointed by trying to find the "best" time to go. I've been much happier the last couple of trips just going when it works for us. The crowd calendars have been very disappointing when I've relied on their forecasts too much.

Last edited:
I have been very disappointed by trying to find the "best" time to go. I've been much happier the last couple of trips just going when it works for us. The crowd calendars have been very busy disappointing when I've relied on their forecasts too much.
This. After a disappointingly busy early February 2014 trip (which was nowhere near President's Day), I decided to only visit when it really worked for me. As a mom and teacher, that's during traditional school vacations. After a moderate-crowd trip during July 4th week of July 2015, a shockingly low-crowd trip in late July 2016, and a moderate-crowd trip over Easter weekend 2017, I decided that the crowd calendars are completely bogus. They just make their predictions up.

OP, we go in August\Sept. We find the lowest crowds during this time and some of the friendliest folks. It is even better than January when you get this type of crowd and they all wearing coats because it was 40's.:

View attachment 344693
That must have been the first few days of January, as the Christmas wreaths were still up...I've been to WDW four times in winter, and during two of those trips the weather was fine, but during the other two it was bitter cold. Cold weather & outdoor touring don't mix. I'll take summer heat & resort pools/water parks any day.

Last edited:
I'm at WDW year round, and have been for decades. Mid Oct through mid April would be the only time I would consider going. I'm will not go during the summer or during holiday periods.

Bless you, summer avoiders!
You all have been making our school/sports-mandated summer trips more pleasant than I ever thought possible! :goodvibes
Truth. I thought our July trip was better crowds--wise than our October and January trips.

It’s always busy anymore. We USA visitors only make up a small portion of those in the parks. The non USA visitors deff outnumber us I feel. It’s a world destination and the rest of the world follows diff schedules than us and Therefore it’s always busy in general.

Every year it gets busier and busier. Doesn’t matter if it’s a holiday or summer or what. U got to plan and just do what u can.

So I'm planning to go with my nephew Feb 5-7 to MK , what do you think the odds are that I might elbow some people in the face ? lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter