Is there a "best time" to visit anymore?

CattailGal

Mouseketeer
In the past we used to go to Disneyworld in October and crowds were low. Not the past few trips. Is there a time when crowds are lower than others? It's frustrating to spend so much money and only get three FP rides a day and a few less popular rides waiting in line. We often find FP to be sold out when in the park.

TIA,

KC

By time of year, crowd levels vary less due to special events, discounts etc. Wait time vary even less due to reduced staffing, reduced ride throughput etc.
Best strategy is to go at rope drop and use "refresh" strategy for additional FPs.

If you get a subscription to touringplans website you can look at the crowd calendar 364 days out.
Disney has done a "good" job of attracting people during the slower seasons, but there are some windows of time that make for a good visit.
There are certainly fewer slower days than in years past.

There are no slow times but maybe slower times. Such as September when kids are in school. We are trying the week after thanksgiving (again a time when kids are in school) and really will see how different it is compared to our April trip. According to touring plans our April trip had crowds of 5-7 and November is predicted 2-3 - so seems like it should feel better but who knows.

your best combat to the crowds is a good plan and taking advantage of rope drop. With this you can hit rides with low waits in the AM, book later morning FP and then an afternoon break.

We had good luck when we traveled in January (not MLK and not Marathon times). We had 4 or 5 January trips. The weather varied (as low as 40 degrees and a full week of 80 degree weather with no rain--you never know)! I am not sure if that will continue.

Honestly, or maybe I should say, surprisingly? The lowest crowds I have personally experienced (I don't trust crowd calendars) is right after July 4th. It's hot, but the crowds have been surprisingly light (esp. this year and in 2016 as well, so the last 2 July's I've been).

There are a few decent times:

January when it isn't a marathon or MLK weekend.

First 2 weeks of May, between spring break and summer (Note that there are usually sports teams staying on property at this time, so the value resorts may be crowded)

Most of September, since very few people would pull their kids out of school in the first month.

The 2 weeks between Thanksgiving and when winter breaks begin.

Outside of these, the parks will vary between moderately and extremely busy. Like others have said, Disney tends to cut staff during less busy times, so actual ride waits might not be that much better, but the walkways and food venues will be less crowded. Busy times, like the week after Christmas or around July 4, I would just avoid all-together. Don't expect to get on more than a few rides and expect everything will have a wait, from food to characters to the merchandise stalls.

It's the most popular tourist attraction in the United States, and the busiest theme park on the planet, so IMO to ever expect it to be "slow" is unrealistic. It is what it is, which is busy. Some times are more than others, such as Xmas or Spring Break. However, FP+ isn't really that hard to get, even same day. OP, I'd suggest looking into "refreshing" to get as many FP+ as you really want. In a typical 6 hour visit, we can easily get 8 FP+

I take it by 'best time' that you mean lowest crowd. As previous posters have noted, Disney is doing a pretty good job attracting people during formally "quiet times". Add a strong economy and that translates to crowds at Disney.

That said I think there are still 'lower' crowd times: mid/late January into early February, most of May, and most of September, especially right after Labor Day. In addition to those periods there are occasional weeks scattered through the year. For instance, early December is still a 'lower crowd' period.

Of those times, I have primarily experienced the winter. We are Disney snowbirds and visit the parks frequently. Except for a couple of headliners I usually can find FP's one or two days ahead. Though I did just spend a few days there in late July and didn't find the crowds too overwhelming. I got some good FPs at 30 days out and rope dropped the headliners I couldn't FP.

In the past we used to go to Disneyworld in October and crowds were low. Not the past few trips. Is there a time when crowds are lower than others? It's frustrating to spend so much money and only get three FP rides a day and a few less popular rides waiting in line. We often find FP to be sold out when in the park.

TIA,

KC

There are always going to be slower times but its no longer going to be dead unless there is a major recession.

Not sure how you are only getting the three prebooked FP though. That is not the norm from people on these boards. You can get a ton of good FP sometimes 15 minutes ahead of ride times. I have even been able to get highly desirable FP like 7DMT the day off.

I have never had a visit when I thought that it was a bad time to go. The only times I've avoided were spring break and Christmas break.

There are no more of the old days when the rides were walk-ons even at half capacity, the Magic Kingdom closed at 7pm, the parks were gutted of entertainment, and the mouse was bleeding cash. I guess there's reason to be grateful. The boom in tourism at WDW is what is responsible for all of spending they've been doing to expand and create new attractions.

I like late January, early June (right after memorial day), and early September (right after labor day). Less crowded than any other times I've visited in recent years.

We always used to go the week after Thanksgiving. In PA, that Monday and Tuesday, schools are closed for hunting season!

TIA,

KC

We've found October to be one of the WORST times to go, in terms of crowds. This year we went in May instead, and we were amazed at how relatively light the crowds were. We've found relatively light crowds in September and January (avoiding Marathon weekend) also. However, the last time we went in September it was before the F&W festival. Now that the F&W times have expanded I wonder how this September will be (going then also).

TIA,

KC
Short answer to "Is there a best time to visit anymore?": No.

Long answer:

1. Best time of year for weather: fall or spring
2. Best time of year for crowds: January or July, excluding holiday weeks

You'll notice that these don't match up. At all. That's the problem- those categories used to align, but they don't anymore.

Last edited:
First week of December, first week of May, January when it isn't marathon or federal holiday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter