"Is it more fun to go by yourself?" "Well, I sure think so!" August 2014

After my swim and nap, I got back in the car to return to Epcot. This time I was parked back in Create, I think row 43. My first ADR of the trip was at Garden Grill, someplace I hadn't eaten before. You can check out my review of it, with photos, here

After dinner, I decided it was time to take a ride on Test Track. As usual, I joined the single riders line and picked a pre-designed car. The wait was around 20 minutes, if I recall correctly, but I passed the time talking to the family in line behind me. It started out because the Frozen Summer Fun events were listed on all the parks' times guides, but in really tiny print it said "At Disney's Hollywood Studios". So this poor family is in the MDE app trying to figure out where in Epcot this stuff is happening, and I let them know it wasn't there at all. After explaining to them what kind of events were part of the Frozen festivities, they said, "You sound like you work here". "Well, I used to!" I told them I had returned to Buffalo for grad school, and said I'm getting my doctorate in audiology. Well, apparently the dad misheard me, as he turned and looked at his daughter to say, "Do you know what an archaeologist does?" :rotfl: "No, sir, audiology, as in hearing". "Oh, guess I need a little bit of that myself!" Too funny! I found out they were from California and had visited Disneyland a few times, so we also chatted about that, and compared and contrasted the rides that both resorts have.

Finally, we were up to the car. I'm pretty sure I was with a family who had never ridden before, so that was pretty funny.
wd045wdw2014226109117283_7033576677_18.jpeg

After that, I walked to World Showcase Plaza to meet Duffy Bear. It was just starting to rain a bit, and they said that Duffy would have to go inside if it picked up. However, it stayed calm enough for me to meet him and get a hug.
Duffy.jpeg

wd003wdw2014226109141926.jpeg

wd062wdw2014226109141924_7033887236_18.jpeg

wd004wdw2014226109141927.jpeg

Up next was Mexico Donald. It was starting to rain a bit harder now, although Donald is in a sheltered alcove. He did have a bit of a line. His attendant said if she got a lightning warning over her earpiece we were going to play a big game of follow the leader into the pavilion. Good news, I was able to meet him outside!
wd051wdw2014226109142797_7033887658_18.jpeg

wd007wdw2014226109142769.jpeg

After that, though, it was really coming down, with thunder and lightning, so I headed to Canada for shelter. It'd been over four years since I've last watched O Canada. I think I must have just missed a showing cause it felt like the holding area took forever. I was able to find a crate to sit on though, so that was nice. The movie was pretty cute, like I remembered. It seemed the 360 degree concept was lost on a lot of people though-they all tended to face the front!

Still raining, so on to France to see Impressions de France. In that case, I love the soundtrack (yay for classical French flute music-kind of my specialty) more than the movie itself. Since I just missed the next American Adventure show, I walked slowly from France to the USA, stopped to get a root beer float, and drank it outside. I asked the CM if I could bring it in to the lobby, but she said no, as I expected. She ignored me for quite a while though, as she was talking to an off duty friend who I think was on the college program and leaving soon. Not very impressed with that.

Again, it's been awhile since I've seen this show too, but I love it!
IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

Ben Franklin and Mark Twain:
IMG_3782.JPG

Thomas Jefferson and Ben Franklin:
IMG_3783.JPG

George Washington and soldiers at Valley Forge:
IMG_3784.JPG

Two Brothers, one of my favorite songs, because it's so haunting:
IMG_3785.JPG

Turn of the 19th century:
IMG_3786.JPG

Teddy Roosevelt:
IMG_3787.JPG

Excuse me as I cry my way through Golden Dreams...starting at the point when the clip of JFK, Jr. saluting his father's coffin is shown.
IMG_3788.JPG

IMG_3789.JPG

Exiting the theater:
IMG_3790.JPG

That was 8:50 and I made it back around to World Showcase Plaza in about 7 minutes for IllumiNations. In case I haven’t said it, or you don’t already know me, IllumiNations is my absolute favorite thing in Disney World. When I was working at Epcot I became so familiar with the show that it is now physically impossible for me to sit still-I have to conduct the fireworks and music, which people around me generally find amusing. I already have more photos than of this show than I know what to do with, so I didn’t take any more.

When it was not quite over, I started walking to the exit and was able to get a nighttime shot in front of Spaceship Earth.
wd053wdw2014227109194133_7033888616_18.jpeg

I walked back to my car, rather than taking the tram. Soon I was back at CBR. I’m in my room, ready to take a shower, and just as I’m about to step in, realize that somehow, I forgot to pack a razor! Ugh! So I get dressed again and go out to the car, only to realize that I can see some of the Frozen Fireworks from the Jamaica parking lot!
IMG_3794.JPG

I drove over to OPR and stop out back first, to get a picture of the nightly movie area. If you’re standing right outside the main back doors of OPR, it’s straight ahead, to the right of the Banana Cabana Pool Bar.
IMG_3797.JPG

And one last shot of the Frozen fireworks over the Fuentes del Morro pool:
IMG_3800.JPG

Once inside the Calypso Trading Post, the only kind of razors they had were two packs of dinky little disposable two-blade men’s razors. Certainly not ideal, but sometimes you can’t be choosy. And they were only $2 or $3.

With that problem solved, I drove back to my room, finally took a shower, set my alarm for 7am (8am breakfast ADR at Tusker House the next morning), and was out for the night.

Love your pictures with Duffy! Booooo to rain but sounds like you kept yourself busy in the countries! SO cool that you caught some of the frozen fireworks :)

Awesome updates! Originally from Upstate NY and went to college out near Buffalo, I certainly think you should move down once you're finished with your studies ;) APs + living in FL = The best!! :D

Love the Duffy and Donald pics. It's not fun when it rains but it sounds like you were able to see some fun shows. :) Yay for the Frozen fireworks!! :)

Sounds like a fun night! :thumbsup2 We're eating at Garden Grill for the first time in a few days and my kids were looking at your pictures with me and are SO excited!

I need to make it a point to check out the American Adventure! I always hear awesome things about it... and with me being a history dork, I bet I'll love it.

Cute pictures with Duffy!

Joining in!

I have been thinking about doing a solo trip and I have some reservations about doing it on my own, so it's nice to see how a younger lady, like myself handles it :)

Loving your report and can't wait for more!

Hi Gretchen! :wave2:

Joining in from the January Dis'er Facebook group! Loving the report so far. I so want to do a solo trip (which I am sure that I have mentioned), but have yet to schedule it.

Nice to see CBR again! We stayed there as a family in the early 90's, and stayed in Jamaica as well! It certainly looks a little bit different compared to then, ha ha!

Also, waiting to hear about Tusker House for breakfast. My mom and I ate there for dinner in Jan/Feb and we were NOT impressed. Hope breakfast is better!

Keep up the good work!:thumbsup2

I just finished reading your Disneyland tr which I loved and had to follow you over here. (I'm a WDW vet going to Disneyland for the first time in November!) I love reading your reports and your pictures are great.

I'm extremely devastated World Showcase Players won't be in Epcot any more. Every trip I make it a point to catch them and the public works guys at Hollywood Studios(especially if Sparky is out). At one of the World Showcase players Christmas performances I saw they even came up and told me I was their best audience member because I got the jokes most people didn't. (Or I'm just an easy laugh!) Either way I'm going to miss them!

Can't wait to read more about your trip!

Love your pictures with Duffy! Booooo to rain but sounds like you kept yourself busy in the countries! SO cool that you caught some of the frozen fireworks :)

I know some people don't like Duffy, but how can you not? He's just a cute teddy bear! I don't really mind the rain; I come armed with a poncho and flip flops and am good to go! According to the CBR thread, the beach by Trinidad South is a great spot to watch the fireworks from.

Awesome updates! Originally from Upstate NY and went to college out near Buffalo, I certainly think you should move down once you're finished with your studies ;) APs + living in FL = The best!! :D

I actually applied to UF and USF but was flat out rejected from UF and wait-listed/rejected from USF. Buffalo was somewhere I returned to grudgingly but it turns out that this program has been great. And as much as I'd love to move back to Florida, I'm also really happy at my current clinical placement and would like to stay on there for a while.

Love the Duffy and Donald pics. It's not fun when it rains but it sounds like you were able to see some fun shows. :) Yay for the Frozen fireworks!! :)

Rain doesn't bother me so much, but I'm not a fan of being out when it's lightening! The Frozen fireworks were great from a distance so I was super excited to see them in the park a few days later.

Sounds like a fun night! :thumbsup2 We're eating at Garden Grill for the first time in a few days and my kids were looking at your pictures with me and are SO excited!

I need to make it a point to check out the American Adventure! I always hear awesome things about it... and with me being a history dork, I bet I'll love it.

Cute pictures with Duffy!

I hope you like Garden Grill as much as I did! And definitely check out the American Adventure, kids might find it a bit boring (so do some adults, actually), but I really enjoy it.

Joining in!

I have been thinking about doing a solo trip and I have some reservations about doing it on my own, so it's nice to see how a younger lady, like myself handles it :)

Loving your report and can't wait for more!

When I was working there, I used to go to the parks by myself all the time. So traveling alone at WDW has never been a big deal to me. My mom was really nervous the first time I did it, but she's calmed down. WDW is quite literally a second home to me, and I'm pretty careful. I love being there alone because I get to talk to people, and spread some magic, which I don't always get to do when I go with friends and family.

Hi Gretchen! :wave2:

Joining in from the January Dis'er Facebook group! Loving the report so far. I so want to do a solo trip (which I am sure that I have mentioned), but have yet to schedule it.

Nice to see CBR again! We stayed there as a family in the early 90's, and stayed in Jamaica as well! It certainly looks a little bit different compared to then, ha ha!

Also, waiting to hear about Tusker House for breakfast. My mom and I ate there for dinner in Jan/Feb and we were NOT impressed. Hope breakfast is better!

Keep up the good work!:thumbsup2

Welcome back! You should definitely do a solo trip. CBR must have been just a few years old when you stayed there, which is kind of hard to imagine! We liked Tusker House for breakfast, and that review is already up in my dining link. :thumbsup2

I just finished reading your Disneyland tr which I loved and had to follow you over here. (I'm a WDW vet going to Disneyland for the first time in November!) I love reading your reports and your pictures are great.

I'm extremely devastated World Showcase Players won't be in Epcot any more. Every trip I make it a point to catch them and the public works guys at Hollywood Studios(especially if Sparky is out). At one of the World Showcase players Christmas performances I saw they even came up and told me I was their best audience member because I got the jokes most people didn't. (Or I'm just an easy laugh!) Either way I'm going to miss them!

Can't wait to read more about your trip!

I hope I was able to give you some insight about DL! The new entertainment in WS doesn't sound as great. I really liked watching the WS Players (and the Streetmosphere actors). Especially with the WSP, it was kind of a bonding experience with other guests.

Friday morning I woke up and looked at the clock to see what time it was...and to my horror, it was 7:22! Somehow I must have bumped my alarm from 7am to 8am-I've never flown out of bed so fast. PB decided he would join me for breakfast so I told him to meet me at the park at 7:45. I rushed to get ready, and miracle of miracles, was pulling into the parking lot of Animal Kingdom at 7:44.

We had just had a slight rain shower, so this beautiful double rainbow was clear in the sky.
IMG_3802.JPG

They parked me in the front row (no idea what parking lot that is at AK, maybe peacock?) and I hustled to the front gate. It started raining again so the poncho went on. PB was there and we confirmed our reservation at the entrance to the park, where I explained that the ADR was for 1 but we wanted to change it to two. For the rest of my Tusker House review, click here and here.

After breakfast, we went right next door to Kilimanjaro Safaris, and were seated in row 6 of the first jeep to depart that day.

A black rhino:
DSCN1598.JPG

Hippos using one another as pillows:
DSCN1600.JPG

The giraffes were out in abundance, including the "baby".
IMG_3805.JPG

This was a different type of giraffe, I think a Reticulated one? The larger group was Masai, if I recall correctly.
IMG_3811.JPG

Mr. Bull elephant was out in his area, but none of the other elephants were visible that morning.
IMG_3814.JPG

We had to wait for some wildebeest to cross the road, which they took their sweet time doing:
IMG_3817.JPG

A closer view of the lone giraffe:
IMG_3818.JPG

The flamboyance of flamingos was super chatty that morning!
IMG_3820.JPG

White rhino:
IMG_3822.JPG

Cheetahs:
IMG_3826.JPG

Then, two firsts for me!
1) All three lions were out, albeit sleeping, that morning.
IMG_3828.JPG

The third one is up at the top of the rock, you can see her tail.
IMG_3833.JPG

2)I finally got to see the zebras! They've never been visible any other time I've ridden!
IMG_3831.JPG

IMG_3835.JPG

And those two things are the reason this was the best safari EVER!

Up next: Pangani Forest Exploration Trail and Character Fun

In case I haven’t said it, or you don’t already know me, IllumiNations is my absolute favorite thing in Disney World.
MINE TOO! The first time I ever saw it, I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of it that I cried, and that was the moment I fell hopelessly in love with Walt Disney World. :lovestruc

Beautiful rainbow!

Nice that PB could join you for breakfast!

Awesome that you saw all 3 lions AND zebras!!

I hope I was able to give you some insight about DL! The new entertainment in WS doesn't sound as great. I really liked watching the WS Players (and the Streetmosphere actors). Especially with the WSP, it was kind of a bonding experience with other guests.

It was so helpful. I've been reading a lot on DL but it was great to to have a report from someone who has WDW glasses on. (If you know what I mean.) Also I saw your problem when you were in the Boston airport, as thats my home airport let me say I think this only happens with the Southwest terminal. Every time I fly Southwest out of there I groan at the add on terminal that isn't as nice as the rest of our airport.

I love your safari pictures. No many how many times I ride this I end up taking so many pictures!

You got the elusive cheetahs! They're NEVER out when I ride Kilimanjaro, much less cuddling and looking so adorable! :lovestruc

I love the safari, especially when they start playing the African music. Our last visit to AK (last October), we had the most amazing safari. We took it right after it had rained, and it was a bit cooler. We saw EVERYTHING! I was amazed to see the cheetahs (as they were usually asleep and not visible), and I got amazing pictures of the lion and lioness awake on their rocks. We were actually stopped for a while, as a zebra crossed right in front of our vehicle, and then stopped. The lioness then got in this position where she watched it walk close to her. Good thing there was security keeping one from the other, otherwise we would have definitely seen a scene right out of a National Geographic Special.

It was amazing!!

Sounds like a lovely night in EPCOT despite the weather.

Do you know how long the show is in the American pavilion? Thinking I'd really like to take my DS this year for the 1st time but if it's too long that may not a good idea.

Glad you were able to make it to your breakfast ADR! Don't you hate it when you oversleep & have to rush like that? :scared:

Oh yeah, my first four days were just a non-stop character hunt! How old is your son? No one is ever too old or cool to meet characters!

He is 6 1/2. He's been going to WDW since he was 2 1/2 & has never been big on meeting the characters. The only ones he HAS to meet every time are Mickey and Pluto. Other than that, he won't meet any girls (except the 1 time I tricked him into it) and he won't stand in any line he thinks is too long. He'd rather be riding the rides!

MINE TOO! The first time I ever saw it, I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of it that I cried, and that was the moment I fell hopelessly in love with Walt Disney World. :lovestruc

You got the elusive cheetahs! They're NEVER out when I ride Kilimanjaro, much less cuddling and looking so adorable! :lovestruc

I think that may have been the first Disney fireworks show I saw in person, now that I think about it, way back seven years ago. That was when I was still afraid of the noise of fireworks, but the music stuck with me. My high school band teacher had it playing one day and I was the only one who recognized it!

I've seen the cheetahs out a couple of times but normally they're so far back I can't get good pictures anyway!

Beautiful rainbow!

Nice that PB could join you for breakfast!

Awesome that you saw all 3 lions AND zebras!!

It was a pretty great morning. :goodvibes

It was so helpful. I've been reading a lot on DL but it was great to to have a report from someone who has WDW glasses on. (If you know what I mean.) Also I saw your problem when you were in the Boston airport, as thats my home airport let me say I think this only happens with the Southwest terminal. Every time I fly Southwest out of there I groan at the add on terminal that isn't as nice as the rest of our airport.

I love your safari pictures. No many how many times I ride this I end up taking so many pictures!

WDW glasses on...I like it! :3dglasses At the Boston airport, I was actually on JetBlue flights, not sure if they share the same terminal with Southwest? But yes, I also noticed that the gate I was at didn't seem as nice as the area I arrived at. And I also always take new Safari pictures, no matter how many times I ride!

I love the safari, especially when they start playing the African music. Our last visit to AK (last October), we had the most amazing safari. We took it right after it had rained, and it was a bit cooler. We saw EVERYTHING! I was amazed to see the cheetahs (as they were usually asleep and not visible), and I got amazing pictures of the lion and lioness awake on their rocks. We were actually stopped for a while, as a zebra crossed right in front of our vehicle, and then stopped. The lioness then got in this position where she watched it walk close to her. Good thing there was security keeping one from the other, otherwise we would have definitely seen a scene right out of a National Geographic Special.

It was amazing!!

I think PB said his favorite part is the African music too. I've been on a couple of really great safaris, typically when it's raining or right after, first thing in the morning, or one of the last departures in the evening. One time I saw the male lion pacing before dinner, and another time we got to hear him roar!

Sounds like a lovely night in EPCOT despite the weather.

Do you know how long the show is in the American pavilion? Thinking I'd really like to take my DS this year for the 1st time but if it's too long that may not a good idea.

Glad you were able to make it to your breakfast ADR! Don't you hate it when you oversleep & have to rush like that? :scared:

He is 6 1/2. He's been going to WDW since he was 2 1/2 & has never been big on meeting the characters. The only ones he HAS to meet every time are Mickey and Pluto. Other than that, he won't meet any girls (except the 1 time I tricked him into it) and he won't stand in any line he thinks is too long. He'd rather be riding the rides!

The show is about 30 minutes. He might find it a little boring, but you could always sit towards the end and leave if that turns out to be the case. Ugh, yes, it was a horrible feeling having to rush like that! I was never big on meeting characters until a few years ago-I felt the same way about the lines, but also I was really awkward about interacting with them at first. It's gotten easier over time though, and when you've been on the rides as many times as I have at this point, it's not as much of a problem to miss some of them.

After the Safari, we decided to walk the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail. When we got to the Gorilla viewing area, we saw a baby gorilla!
DSCN1603.JPG

DSCN1605.JPG

DSCN1607.JPG

One of the adult females:
DSCN1610.JPG

Male silverback:
DSCN1611.JPG

Mom & baby again:
DSCN1612.JPG

Big guy!
DSCN1614.JPG

Our next stop was to visit Pocahontas, but on our way out of Africa, we saw a Photopass photographer.
wd010wdw2014227109236656.jpeg

wd046wdw2014227109236657_7033892617_18.jpeg

I knew Pocahontas met on the Discovery Island trails by the Galapagos tortoise starting at 10am. Since it was a little early still, we explored the area.
DSCN1615.JPG

DSCN1616.JPG

DSCN1617.JPG

DSCN1619.JPG

There were a few people in the area waiting to meet Pocahontas as well, but I think I was the third in line, and ended up meeting her at 10:05.
wd063wdw2014227109245997_7034148273_18.jpeg

She broke character just before it was my turn, to move a branch; she kind of kicked it out of the way and said something about how she was lazy. I was not impressed.

Our next character meet was Russell and Dug at what I thought was 10:30am so we went and took some of those photos where you stick your head in the scene.
DSCN1621.jpg

DSCN1623.jpg

DSCN1625.JPG

Then we looked in some of the shops next door, to take advantage of the air conditioning.
IMG_3837.jpg

The line for Dug & Russell looked really long, because apparently they actually started at 10am. We met them at 10:38 and then they took a break.
wdw2014227109266425.jpeg

wdw2014227109266459.jpeg

wdw2014227109266426.jpeg

wdw2014227109266427.jpeg

wdw2014227109266428.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter