"Is it more fun to go by yourself?" "Well, I sure think so!" August 2014

bellebookworm9

DIS Veteran
Time for trip report #4 this year!
PP23.jpeg

Hi everyone! I'm Gretchen and I just came back from my third WDW trip this year. I also went to Disneyland for the first time a few months ago. A little about me: 23 years old, about to start my third year of my doctoral program in audiology, former Epcot CM. I got an AP this past March and decided to take this August trip to make the most of it! I stayed at Caribbean Beach for five nights by myself and Grand Floridian for one night with my good friend, PB. Both resorts were new to me!

I met a ton of characters this trip and tried a bunch of new restaurants. Come along on my solo trip adventure!

Here from the FB group! Looking forward to reading about your trip :goodvibes

Wednesday morning started bright and early. My friend Matt came by to pick me up around 6:30am and just a few minutes later we were at the airport. The line at the JetBlue counter was pretty much non-existent and although the security line was the longest I’ve seen it in a while it moved steadily. The TSA officer recognized my address as being part of a specific apartment complex; turns out he grew up on a neighboring street. When I flew out of Buffalo in March and May, I didn’t have to take my shoes off or take my laptop out of my carry on, but that day I did. Next stop was the Coffee Beanery for some chocolate milk and a muffin. My flight was boarding out of gate 9. I had chosen seat 6A (the window) and there was a 10-ish year old boy sitting there. I politely explained that it was my seat and he moved over. I gotta say, I witnessed a first on this flight: completely full plane and there were actually empty overhead storage bins!

We left right on time at 8:05am and made it to Orlando a few minutes early. Unfortunately, our gate wasn’t ready yet so I think we technically disembarked on time at 10:39am-coincidentally, at gate 9. Gotta love consistency! I took this photo over the east coast of Florida.
IMG_3701.jpg

At 10:44 I was on the shuttle headed toward the main terminal.
IMG_3702.jpg

I had my baggage by 11 and went down to Level 1 and the Budget rental car desk. I had found a really good deal on a compact car, only $315 for the week, including the underage fees. Then, the night before I left, one of our Facebook group friends tagged me in a rental car special, and I was able to save an additional $71! Of course, since I had prepaid, the difference wouldn’t be refunded until after I returned the car, but still, what a deal! The line didn’t look long but it took me 20 minutes to get up to the counter. Since I had prepaid, they didn’t have to hassle me about insurance or extras like that. However, the guy spoke so quietly that I couldn’t understand what he was saying, until I heard something about a Nissan Rogue or a Jeep Compass. Um, what? My mom drives a Compass and I know that is most definitely NOT a compact car. The agent was convinced I had booked a mid-size SUV until I pulled up the confirmation on my phone that I had indeed chosen a compact car such as a Ford Focus. It turns out he was looking at the wrong discount code or something. Then his computer wouldn’t print. Eventually I was on my way around 11:30. They directed me to space F13 on the second level where I found a shiny black Toyota Corolla waiting. I’m used to Dollar, where they let you pick your car, but I was pleased with this one! It had Bluetooth for my phone and a backup camera.
IMG_3723.jpg

I texted my mom a picture and she said it was a “sexy car”, haha! Soon I was on my way! Don’t be bad like me and take pictures while driving…
IMG_3703.JPG

I came in via the Epcot Center Drive exit off I-4. At exactly noon I pulled in to Caribbean Beach and proceeded to the Custom House.
IMG_3704.JPG

IMG_3705.JPG

There was a CM with an iPad so I made a beeline for her rather than getting in to the line for online check in. She was able to help me out and while she went to get my packet, I took a few pictures.
IMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

She came back and told me that I was in a newly refurbished room in Jamaica, number 4217 to be exact, and that the room was ready to go. During online check in I had requested a water view in Jamaica (I had booked a king bed room so the views could be anything), and then using Touring Plans’ room finder tool, had sent a fax with like 45 specific room numbers. 4217 was my third choice of room so I was pretty darn ecstatic!

I found the parking lot for Jamaica buidlings 41-43 with no trouble and proceeded to my room, which was a short walk from the parking lot. Once I got there, I immediately began snapping away.
DSCN1502.JPG

DSCN1493.JPG

DSCN1494.JPG

This was a connecting room but I never heard my neighbors.
DSCN1495.JPG

Corner room, score!
DSCN1496.JPG

DSCN1497.JPG

DSCN1498.JPG

DSCN1499.JPG

DSCN1500.JPG

DSCN1501.JPG

The dresser drawers were surprisingly large.
DSCN1627.JPG

Fridge does not have a freezer section but if you turn the dial to the coldest setting and put items toward the back, they will freeze.
DSCN1718.JPG

And both nightstands had this neat addition: two outlets and two USB ports! No more needing power strips or hunting for outlets!
IMG_3891.JPG

The GORGEOUS view from my front window:
DSCN1491.JPG

And from the side window:
DSCN1492.JPG

While the new rooms are nice, I think they are a little bit too dark. I personally liked the bright, colorful, airy look of the older rooms with the Finding Nemo touches. My other complaint was the loud A/C units. While I’m happy they haven’t switched to those silly motion sensor ones, which can make the room quite toasty at night, these were noisy and clunky.

Once I was all unpacked, I headed out to walk over to Old Port Royale.

Subbing! Headed back to CBR in February, and really hoping to score a refurbed room - loving all the pictures :thumbsup2

Great start to your trip! I agree about the rooms at CB but still pretty. Loved your view, so relaxing.

Subbing! Headed back to CBR in February, and really hoping to score a refurbed room - loving all the pictures :thumbsup2

By February, all of the rooms (except Pirate themed ones) should be completed or close to it! :thumbsup2

Great start to your trip! I agree about the rooms at CB but still pretty. Loved your view, so relaxing.

Yes, it was an excellent start! I think these rooms would be great at the Polynesian, but here I was wanting a little more whimsy. And I adored that view...it was great to be able to just walk a few feet to the beach and sit in a hammock! :cloud9:

your view is to die for! And I majorly need that pineapple table in my house!

I wandered over from your Dining Report, and am following here now too! Can't wait to read all about your solo adventure, while I anxiously await my own next month! :goodvibes

Setting off to explore the resort a bit, this beach was just outside the door.
DSCN1503.JPG

Looking back at the building. So glad I got put in Jamaica, I just loved how bright and sunny it was!
DSCN1504.JPG

Heading down the pathway past the quiet pool, looking at Aruba.
DSCN1505.JPG

On the bridge to Caribbean Cay, looking at Jamaica’s beach and pool.
DSCN1506.JPG

Walking through the island:
DSCN1507.JPG

Heading into Old Port Royale:
DSCN1508.JPG

DSCN1509.JPG

DSCN1510.JPG

First stop was the Calypso Trading Post to buy some new MagicBandits and activate a gift card. The CM was like, “I don’t think I can use this (my debit card) to purchase a gift card”. Um, what? I’ve done it before! She managed to confuse me as much as she was but of course, it turned out I could do it that way.

Then I headed into the food court to pick up my refillable mug. I chose green this time. I now have six mugs, it’s getting a little ridiculous! Back outside for a couple more photos:
DSCN1511.JPG

The firepit on Martinique beach.
DSCN1512.JPG

DSCN1513.JPG

Barefoot Bay Bike Works-no more boats.
DSCN1514.JPG

DSCN1515.JPG

This bean bag toss was set up nearby.
DSCN1516.JPG

Pretty fountain in the OPR courtyard:
DSCN1517.JPG

Back on the Aruba/Jamaica side of the resort, looking over to Trinidad North.
DSCN1518.JPG

For the next hour I tried to upload some pictures, but the WiFi was being quite stubborn. Then I changed into my bathing suit and drove over to Typhoon Lagoon!

As soon as I got in the car to venture out to the water park, it started pouring! But in the five minutes it took me to drive down Buena Vista Drive, the rain had stopped. Once in the park, my first stop was Leaning Palms for a rather uninspired lunch.
IMG_3712.JPG

It was crazy crowded so I trekked all the way to the back of the park and found a chair under a shelter by Shark Reef. All of the slides had long lines, upwards of 30 minutes, so I floated along the whole lazy river.
PP2.jpeg

PP3.jpeg

PP4.jpeg

That water proof case I have on my phone was marvelous! I bought it on Amazon, it’s called EcoFuze, and it survived three trips to the water parks.
IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

IMG_3716.JPG

IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

Right at 3pm, I entered the wave pool just a few minutes before the big waves started.
IMG_3720.JPG

PP6.jpeg

PP7.jpeg

Here comes a wave!
IMG_3721.JPG

And another one!
IMG_3722.JPG

I was getting ready to leave when I encountered Stitch near the Mini Donut stand.
PP9.jpeg

PP10.jpeg

And of course, I had to get some of those donuts on my way out.
DSCN1519.JPG

I picked the raspberry dipping sauce and I’m happy to say that the donuts stayed nice and toasty during the short drive back to CBR. I had only been at TL for about two hours but it was so crowded that it just wasn’t worth staying longer. I changed and hung out in the room for a bit before moving on to my next destination: Hollywood Studios!

Joining in! Glad you put up the link in your DLR TR! :goodvibes

Sounds like your trip was off to a great start!

CBR has never really been on my "resort radar" but your pictures are so pretty, making me want to stay there. I like your refurbed room as the old decor was a bit off a turn off for me.

Those donuts look so yummy!!

Disney owes you some money for CBR advertising - it really looks beautiful from your photos!

Following! I am very much looking forward to seeing how the rest of your trip goes!

Lovely report so far!! I enjoy a happy solo Disney trip. I often go solo and then meet up with my sister for a few days. I really do love some alone time at the parks.
Its great to see the CBR and the water park. Two places I have yet to visit!

Joining in! Glad you put up the link in your DLR TR! :goodvibes

Sounds like your trip was off to a great start!

CBR has never really been on my "resort radar" but your pictures are so pretty, making me want to stay there. I like your refurbed room as the old decor was a bit off a turn off for me.

Those donuts look so yummy!!

It was never somewhere I was dying to stay either, and I was originally booked at POR. Then I had to change my dates and POR didn't have availability, so I ended up here! And the donuts are delicious, they have them at both water parks!

Disney owes you some money for CBR advertising - it really looks beautiful from your photos!

:rotfl: Thanks!

Following! I am very much looking forward to seeing how the rest of your trip goes!

Thanks for reading!

Lovely report so far!! I enjoy a happy solo Disney trip. I often go solo and then meet up with my sister for a few days. I really do love some alone time at the parks.
Its great to see the CBR and the water park. Two places I have yet to visit!

Don't get me wrong, I love traveling with other people, but I like being able to do my own thing, be it getting up at the crack of dawn or taking a slower day.

Upon my arrival at the Studios, I was directed to the very last row in the parking lot-Stage 62. The parking CM was super grumpy, yelling at guests because he was the only one out there and people were confused about where to go. On the tram I sat with a mom, grandma, and two year old boy. He was absolutely adorable and just kept saying, “Where’s Mickey’s house?” Apparently they’d only ever been to MK and didn’t have any idea what DHS had to offer so I tried to fill them in.

Once in the park, I stopped for a photo. They were putting down the tape to mark off the fireworks viewing area, so we had to wait for those people to get out of the shot.
PP14.jpeg

My original plan was:
-Meet Phineas & Ferb
-Meet Lightning and Mater
-Character Palooza at 6pm
-Meet Frozone & Mr. Incredible
-Meet Minnie
-Meet Sorcerer Mickey
-Ride Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster & Tower of Terror with FP+
-Work in dinner and the Coolest Summer Ever Dance Party
-Frozen Fireworks
-10:30 Fantasmic

Well, I ended up ditching that plan almost instantly. For starters, I arrived earlier than originally planned-shortly after 5 rather than 5:30. So I decided to head back to the Animation Building and start there. First up were the Incredibles, who were just coming back from a break. The line to meet them was pretty short.
DSCN1521.JPG

Then I went in search of Minnie. Her line was also short, less than 10 minutes, and there were these cute movie posters in the queue.
DSCN1522.JPG

DSCN1523.JPG

PP15.jpeg

PP17.jpeg

I probably had time to meet Mickey too, but his line was a bit on the longer side and I did not want to miss Character Palooza! So I made my way over to New York Street.
DSCN1524.JPG

Took an #olafsummervacation photo.
IMG_3724.jpg

I think the characters started appearing a few minutes after 6.
DSCN1526.JPG

Meeko trying to eat my autograph book:
DSCN1527.JPG

DSCN1527.JPG

Max Goof was pleased that he had a personalized page. His handler was like, “Oh, I think somebody likes you! Is she your girlfriend?” He didn’t like that very much-typical teenaged boy!
DSCN1531.jpg

DSCN1532.jpg

And I was one of the last people to meet Pinocchio & Gepetto before they went inside.
DSCN1534.JPG

The characters only stay out for 15 minutes. There were a lot more but I just didn’t have time to meet them: another penguin by himself, two green army men, Mulan, Jessie, and Jasmine.

By that point it was almost 6:30 and I was hungry. That salad from lunch was not very filling, the little bit that I did eat. So I walked a little ways to Backlot Express.
IMG_3725.JPG

The Olaf cupcake was great!

Unfortunately, by the time I was done it was just after 7pm and the line for Phineas and Ferb had closed for the night. But Mater and McQueen had hardly any line at all!
PP20.jpeg

I just realized how blurry that is. Sad face.

Started back to the Animation Building again to meet Mickey and encountered a couple of Frozen magic shots along the way.
PP21.jpeg

PP23.jpeg

PP24.jpeg

PP27.jpeg

PP33.jpeg

Mickey’s line was about 25 minutes I think, and they closed it not long after I joined in. I talked to a family behind me, and the kids were too funny. The little boy in particular had so many questions about Mickey.
PP34.jpeg

PP37.jpeg

I was dragging by this point. I hadn’t been able to move my RnRC FP+ to a later time, so I missed it. Headed in to ToT and had almost no wait at all. Please excuse my face (second row on the right), I have no idea what happened!
PP39.jpeg

And there is now a video that you get if you have Memory Maker.
http://youtu.be/CnkrDGpiR94

It was now 8:30 and there was no way I was going to last another 2.5 hours. I walked down Sunset Boulevard and grabbed a frozen lemonade from the ice cream cart. Then I caught the tram back to my car and made the short drive back to CBR. It was going to be an early morning at Epcot and I definitely needed to sleep!

Thanks for sharing your solo trip! My B'day is next month and told Dh and my girls I want a solo Disney trip as my gift!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter